BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbray’s Future

Fans were right to question Mowbray's appoinment. He left Coventry after losing about 10 games in a row and his record as a manager was mixed to say the least. I wasn't alone in asking why he deserved to be handed the Rovers job. 

Edited by jim mk2
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Yeah I've done that before too. Some of the posters that have been left with egg on their face have form for calling others' wrong opinions out too!

And @Bigdoggsteel should be made to do some sort of community punishment for calling Coyle a "good bloke". Maybe he can finish Dack's sentence for him...

...well he wasn't evil incarnate.  I'm almost surprised nobody's taken a dig at Coyle because he's never been a widower unlike Mowbray. People will do anything to point score where Burnley personnel are involved as we saw on the McIlroy thread. Hasta said I tried to score points over the Walker family in response. Considering I get nothing but grief for most part (and certainly not a ton of likes as Mike E got when he pointed out that Jack chant) not sure what points are gained from it really. Besides being right.

26 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Fans were right to question Mowbray's appoinment. He had been sacked by Coventry after losing about 10 games in a row and his record as a manager was mixed to say the least. I wasn't alone in asking what he had done to deserve the job. 

Absolutely not though nobody sarcastically referred to Mowbray as the "outstanding candidate". Tried to find some positives though (as with Coyle who didn't relegate Bolton/Wigan from the Championship despite allegedly destroying both clubs) though he didn't succeed on his immediate goal. I didn't think Mowbray's spell at Coventry made him completely spent (considering what a basketcase their situation is/was) though hence why I've openly said he was capable of promotion last season and capable of safety this season. Though I'm still not convinced by the next step which is becoming playoff/promotion candidates though that's not a demand this season.

Maybe I'm still holding that Wolves game against him but keeping Lowe on when you need a goal (and don't look like scoring one) is one of the most absurd decisions I've seen. Even people who rated Lowe for some reason (Thenodrog) couldn't say he was much of an attacking force.

I'm not concerned by the Bristol C result much. I don't really need to call it a "reality check" which in some ways seems like a dig at those who have been talking of playoffs, etc. I haven't spoken of that myself so it's not a reality check for me but neither is it a sign of unstable relegation foundations. Being unbeaten was never a bad thing but taking draws (and not every performance being exactly scintillating into account) I didn't think a huge deal of it either.

Edited by Vinjay17

12 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Fans were right to question Mowbray's appoinment. He left Coventry after losing about 10 games in a row and his record as a manager was mixed to say the least. I wasn't alone in asking why he deserved to be handed the Rovers job. 

No need to feel bad about it Jim. We all underestimated him.

The most  common positive comment  was "at least he isn't Coyle"!!

Goes to show we shouldn't take ourselves too seriously, we're not the football geniuses we think we are!

• Like 1

Would have thought this break has come at a good time for a get away from it all break, after one of his young star strikers goes into court with the possibility of going to jail, another youngster kicks off because he's not playing and a second half at Bristol goes horribly wrong.

Time to get away and clear the head for TM.

• Backroom
9 hours ago, 47er said:

No need to feel bad about it Jim. We all underestimated him.

The most  common positive comment  was "at least he isn't Coyle"!!

Goes to show we shouldn't take ourselves too seriously, we're not the football geniuses we think we are!

The apprehension and negativity regarding Mowbray's appointment was completely justified at the time. It wasn't some masterstroke from the owners, they went for another cheap option and this time they got lucky. Similar to Bowyer every so often the cheap option works out (to a degree). Of course it was also their cheapskate antics that got us into trouble in the first place by bringing in Coyle and we ended up relegated as a result.

Why we're suddenly able to spend £7m on a single player after multiple seasons of poverty I don't know, but I'll never trust these snakes.

• Like 5

I think one of the main reasons they got lucky with this one is in the lottery of grabbing another relatively cheap from the scrapheap again they inadvertently landed  the most experienced fella to be in the hotseat since Allardyce. I don't think it's any coincidence that the facts he's been around the block, had success and failure in equal measure and worked in similar clubs in similar situations  have played a huge part in his turnaround of this club so far.

The timing was just right for both parties and he's just gone back to basics and applied some common sense from the ground up. Only someone like him would've managed to do that here, be grateful for the chance and put up with the crap.

If he left tomorrow we could say without doubt it worked out well.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Love this quote from Tony in the LT

“My job as a coach is to improve the playing staff over time and if we want to have aspirations of getting promoted and getting out of this league then at some stage the players either have to come on the journey and improve significantly or we buy better players.”

Ruthless?

11 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

Ruthless?

If you judge him solely by he says..No doubt in my mind that Reed and Rothwell should start but apparently that would destroy the camaraderie built up during our League 1 season.

The problem is we are not in League 1 anymore.

2 minutes ago, 47er said:

If you judge him solely by he says..No doubt in my mind that Reed and Rothwell should start but apparently that would destroy the camaraderie built up during our League 1 season.

Tonys not stupid, he knows that mid table is acceptable and that's what he's after.  If he goes for it, we can lose and end up hovering in the bottom 5.....I'm not happy with the quality at times but I'm sure we won't be relegated.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, 47er said:

Rothwells problem is that he is competing with Armstrong and Palmer for one spot essentially, with Mowbray favouring one defensive winger and with Dack being a given. That said, he deserves a chance on Saturday.

Reed I dont think has earnt the trust yet of Mowbray. He mentioned him charging down the wing on Saturday as a negative even though it led to a goal. He wants discipline from his 2 central midfielders hence his overbearing loyalty towards Smallwood. He knows exactly what his job is, problem is v better midfielders he is outclassed.

15 minutes ago, 47er said:

Mowbray said he's give the promotion side a chance and he's been true to his word. My gripe is the players he's brought in aren't suited to the formation he wants to play and/or are a bit shyte. Armstrong was poor last season at times. Terrific goalscorer but never a winger or a striker that suits our hoofball.  Palmer looks like a luxury we aren't good enough to carry. Rothwell probably isn't a wide man either although if he can't get in ahead of those other two he must be shagging someone he shouldn't be.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

Mowbray said he's give the promotion side a chance and he's been true to his word. My gripe is the players he's brought in aren't suited to the formation he wants to play and/or are a bit shyte. Armstrong was poor last season at times. Terrific goalscorer but never a winger or a striker that suits our hoofball.  Palmer looks like a luxury we aren't good enough to carry. Rothwell probably isn't a wide man either although if he can't get in ahead of those other two he must be shagging someone he shouldn't be.

...and Brereton isn't a target man or wide striker.

In a way I can understand Mowbray slowly bringing Brereton into the team. Probably good as well because some fans are freaking out over 30 minutes he played on the wing, can only imagine the meltdown if he plays upfront and has a poor game. All the football message board managers will be on saying we shouldn't have signed him. Having never seen him kick a ball in a game before or in training. Lets judge a guys entire past and future potential on a few minutes ?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I don't see why he can't be a target man. He's a big lad 

That doesnt mean he can ever be an effective target man. People thought Sam Gallagher was a target man but he jumped at 5 foot 5. Breretons main asset is his pace and ability to go in behind.

54 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

In a way I can understand Mowbray slowly bringing Brereton into the team. Probably good as well because some fans are freaking out over 30 minutes he played on the wing, can only imagine the meltdown if he plays upfront and has a poor game. All the football message board managers will be on saying we shouldn't have signed him. Having never seen him kick a ball in a game before or in training. Lets judge a guys entire past and future potential on a few minutes ?

Think this is unfair, as @K-Hod explained much more clearly than I could! Youve in essence done the same to Armstrong on another thread, saying hes a 1 good game in 10 type, after a half season in which he was consistently excellent in the bank.

People are just commenting on his performances thus far, which have been few and far between and obviously not indicative on the level of success he will or wont have here. No one is saying theyve seen enough but just like people said Reeds cameos have been promising, Rothwells cameos have been promising, Brereton against Villa was poor albeit out of position. Overall im still none the wiser about how well he will do here but for now Graham deserves the shirt more.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Difficult not to scrutinize a player, and the decision to spend that amount on the player when the fee and stakes are so high.