BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbray’s Future

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Think this is unfair, as @K-Hod explained much more clearly than I could! Youve in essence done the same to Armstrong on another thread, saying hes a 1 good game in 10 type, after a half season in which he was consistently excellent in the bank.

People are just commenting on his performances thus far, which have been few and far between and obviously not indicative on the level of success he will or wont have here. No one is saying theyve seen enough but just like people said Reeds cameos have been promising, Rothwells cameos have been promising, Brereton against Villa was poor albeit out of position. Overall im still none the wiser about how well he will do here but for now Graham deserves the shirt more.

Ah come off it now, thats a silly point. I have watched Armstrong a load of times. You can't compare it to people judging Brereton after 30 minutes on the wing. I backed up my viewpoint with the reasons why I thought it. Hardly the same as someone saying Brereton is the new Kevin Davies 

1 hour ago, booth said:

Difficult not to scrutinize a player, and the decision to spend that amount on the player when the fee and stakes are so high.

As Mowbray said, it's best ignore the price tag. Doesn't do anyone any favors judging him on that

Now, we could all have an opinion on whether the £7 million(or whatever it is) could have been spent elsewhere, but that's a separate discussion. When you factor in the full package, including wages , I haven't seen a striker suggested that I thought "mmm, ya, that would have made more sense". The fee is high, but some real tat moved for more. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

6 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ah come off it now, thats a silly point. I have watched Armstrong a load of times. You can't compare it to people judging Brereton after 30 minutes on the wing. I backed up my viewpoint with the reasons why I thought it. Hardly the same as someone saying Brereton is the new Kevin Davies 

I think you are reading into said comments out of the context of what they are, judgements of an individual performance. People judge every player on every performance, thats the whole point of individual match threads. Brereton was really poor when he came on v Villa and looked sluggish and kept throwing himself over. You cant expect people to not judge player performances. That said, Brereton isnt fully match fit and crucially he was out of position. But his performance was poor, people arent going to come on after the Villa game and say, Mulgrew was good, great goal by Dack, Raya at fault for the goal, Lenihan all over the place, midfield much improved, ie go through the team and then go Brereton I refuse to comment on yet.

If anyone is saying hes a waste of money or a bad signing then it goes without saying saying that they are massively overreacting. But I havent seen any quotes suggesting that. Im guessing the Kevin Davies thing you mention was a reference to a comparison someone has made. If so, again thats unfair.Saying he played poorly in a match or saying hes a bad signing are 2 totally different things.

And its impossible to totally ignore the price tag when it was such a massive amount of money.

I think in general, the discussion about his signing has been more so the type of player that he is. Just because he is 6 foot odd doesnt make him a targetman.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I think you are reading into said comments out of the context of what they are, judgements of an individual performance. People judge every player on every performance, thats the whole point of individual match threads. Brereton was really poor when he came on v Villa and looked sluggish and kept throwing himself over. You cant expect people to not judge player performances. That said, Brereton isnt fully match fit and crucially he was out of position. But his performance was poor, people arent going to come on after the Villa game and say, Mulgrew was good, great goal by Dack, Raya at fault for the goal, Lenihan all over the place, midfield much improved, ie go through the team and then go Brereton I refuse to comment on yet.

If anyone is saying hes a waste of money or a bad signing then it goes without saying saying that they are massively overreacting. But I havent seen any quotes suggesting that. Im guessing the Kevin Davies thing you mention was a reference to a comparison someone has made. If so, again thats unfair.Saying he played poorly in a match or saying hes a bad signing are 2 totally different things.

And its impossible to totally ignore the price tag when it was such a massive amount of money.

I think in general, the discussion about his signing has been more so the type of player that he is. Just because he is 6 foot odd doesnt make him a targetman.

Fair points, but to be honest i didn't think he was that bad against Villa. Looked out of position, but won a few in the air, showed some nice touches and flicked on Mulgrews cross that we eventually scored from. i suppose its all about perspective. Jesus, don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be putting him on the wing again though :) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Fair points, but to be honest i didn't think he was that bad against Villa. Looked out of position, but won a few in the air, showed some nice touches and flicked on Mulgrews cross that we eventually scored from. i suppose its all about perspective. Jesus, don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be putting him on the wing again though :) 

I personally think you are being incredibly kind to him! Dont recall these nice touches and aeriel duals he won.

That said, agree on him out wide being pointless and that for me, he is ahead of Armstrong (based on Armstrongs poor performances) and behind Graham.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

I personally think you are being incredibly kind to him! Dont recall these nice touches and aeriel duals he won.

That said, agree on him out wide being pointless and that for me, he is ahead of Armstrong (based on Armstrongs poor performances) and behind Graham.

Well, I did have around 5 pints onboard by the time he was introduced ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Brererton was poor against Villa but i blame Mowbray, he should have brought Rothwell on,Brererton should be coming on to go up front.

He was poor but he did show one bit of class in the box bringing the ball down

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I don’t think we can underestimate the job he’s done here.

The club was a rudderless mess for years and for the first time since these owners emerged we seem to have a plan. Now you could say that Mowbray is just the team manager and it was those auditors that have made the penny drop, but we know how these owners seem to value personal relationships and TM has used this to his advantage, as an example he’s off to India again next month. We kept our best talent on relegation and he was allowed to add to it. He was then given the green light to spend decent money this summer.

Results wise, been generally excellent and I’ve not seen a spirit and work ethic within the squad as good as this since Hughes’ ‘Bully Boys’.

On a personal level I could listen to him all day, a real football man, who’s love of the game just bursts out of him, such a welcome change after some of the frauds and bullshit merchants we’ve had to put up with.

Seeing top of the table Sheff Utd in the flesh last week, a club a year ahead of us in development shows that we do have a way to go, but I trust Mowbray to be the man to get us close, and I say this as someone who didn’t believe we’d ever see the promised land again.

Sign him up!

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 9

Mowbray has done a fantastic job in the way he has galvanised the club after the Coyle debacle. The spirit and fight amongst the players (led by the mighty Benno) is a joy to watch. 

The contract extension would be fully deserved....even if I have my doubts he could progress the club much beyond where we are without major investment. 

• Like 2

Definitely deserves a new contract, couldnt keep us up but since has done a very good job and theres no reason we cant keep on improving. A managers job should be based on results and he has certainly got them. 

Would just give him a 2 or 3 year deal as things do change in football and massive manager contracts tend to bite clubs on the arse but a new deal would be both a reward and additional security. 

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead

I'm big enough to admit that I wasn't that impressed by his appointment after his most recent previous jobs, but he's surpassed my expectations and not only has he got me loving my football again, but he's got players that are loving being here and a team that we can be proud of. We've got players in the team that we love, instead of a lot of mercenaries like Leon Best, Bradley Orr and others. 

He deserves immense credit for instilling that identity and mentality back into the club and long may that continue. 

• Like 2

Cracking manager, don't agree with all his over cooking the goose methods but he gets the job done and most importantly in this current climate he's a huge pair of safe hands. He'll probably leave one day all gaffers run their course unless he's allowed to implement his plans and they actually work to some degree.  Wouldn't go down the road of handing out silly 3/4/5 year big deals but give the man an extension, 2 years with a rolling option or something like that.

Bit of security with a bit of incentive too.

• Like 2

I said in the summer that we should hold back on offering him a new deal as it still had 12-24 months to run and I wanted to wait until Xmas to see how we adjusted to the Championship before handing out new deals.

I think we've performed well enough so far to be confident that he is the right man for now and has done well to build on last season with a good solid start to this. For me I'd give him a decent wage rise whilst extending it to 2020 with an option of another year.

Like Bowyer and Kean he's worked out that the best or only way of getting anywhere with these owners is to establish a relationship with Mrs D and to frequently travel out to India to speak to her. As long as that link remains in place, combined with Mowbray's experience over Bowyer and his integrity and honesty over Kean, and we should be able to make it work. Lets just hope she doesn't lift the drawbridge again!

• Like 3

He's got another year if Rovers want it, I'd give him another 2 on top of that. By that time he ought to have got us promoted or he never will. If he does he will deserve the chance to manage us in the Premier League.

Its a Venky contract remember, let's hope there are no bonuses for relegation!  

• Like 3

For the first time we have a manager with all the necessary attributes to make this work under Venkys. We've had the incompetence and dodginess of Kean, the madhouse of Berg and Appleton under Singh, the inexperience of Bowyer, the high maintenance of Lambert, the incompetence of Coyle.

Mowbray has a bit of everything required. He has the experience of this division which has always been essential in the power vacuum at Ewood. He has the bad experiences of Coventry to fall back on - knowing how bad it can get under poor ownership - he has the fact that he was damaged goods before coming here and so knows that he could easily have been on the managerial scrapheap had we not offered him a way back in. He's also a big more of a diplomat than Lambert was.

I'll maintain my belief that Lambert is/was a good manager for this club from an experience and know-how point of view but he was too high maintenance for these owners and this club. Lambert's demands, whether unrealistic or based upon what he was promised before taking the job, were too great in terms of wanting to do it overnight and wanting a big budget to work with. Mowbray doesn't appear to have such demands and is more than happy to work within their unusual structure and be a bit more patient with them, probably more willing to travel to India and try to talk them round to his vision whereas Lambert wasn't prepared to. Different personalities altogether. Mowbray will never be the sort of bloke to throw a wobbler and walk out if he doesn't get what he wants.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, 47er said:

6 years? An eternity in football! Daft idea.

He's not Sir Alex you know!

If he keeps going as he is there will be plenty of clubs interested. Won't be so daft if that happens and we have him under contract. I don't see any reason why we shouldn't buck the trend and actually let a manager plan long term. 

You're the very one who will be on here complaining if he left because his contract was running down and another club came calling 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

25 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

You're the very one who will be on here complaining if he left because his contract was running down and another club came calling 

Eh? How did you work that one out? I could just as well say you'd be the one complaining on here if we signed him for 6 years and it started to not work after 3!

Anyway I've given you my opinion above and I'll stand by it.

Six years is a very long time when the majority of managers have a shelf life of less than 3 years and many considerably less

I'd suggest a rolling 12-month contract for all managers and players - keeps them focused and hungry. 

Edited by jim mk2
  • Like 4

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Six years is a very long time when the majority of managers have a shelf life of less than 3 years and many considerably less

I'd suggest a rolling 12-month contract for all managers and players - keeps them focused and hungry. 

That's ok if you are Real Madrid but we'd lose our best players every single year for free if that was the case...