BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbray’s Future

This guy...

?

The 'warriors' in his side were given special recognition by Mowbray as they allow the more technically gifted players the chance to shine.

He said: “I talk to them about going to war, shine their shields, draw their swords out and go to war really and that’s what this team can do.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

Tony and his staff have done a fantastic job, you can really see the effect of their coaching on the way the players move and play the game.

The coaches are visibly improving the players abilities week by week. There's a long list of them playing at their absolute best throughout the team; Graham, Bennett, Evans, Nyambe, Raya, Mulgrew.  

I also haven't seen a team use as much energy as this one, they are out on their feet after 90 mins.

I don't think anyone fancies playing us at the minute. We set out to spoil the other team's gameplan, but still create decent chances ourselves.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

This guy...

?

The 'warriors' in his side were given special recognition by Mowbray as they allow the more technically gifted players the chance to shine.

He said: “I talk to them about going to war, shine their shields, draw their swords out and go to war really and that’s what this team can do.

6 hours ago, old darwen blue said:

Which film is that speech from? I need to watch it to get the right context because I thought it was terrible. 

TV mini series 10 Days to War, final episode

It is a changed/ abbreviated version from the original speech Link to full speech     .Apparently no audio or video exists as it was only covered by one journalist.

Edited by perthblue02

7 hours ago, perthblue02 said:

TV mini series 10 Days to War, final episode

It is a changed/ abbreviated version from the original speech Link to full speech     .Apparently no audio or video exists as it was only covered by one journalist.

There are several versions of the Gettysburg Address as well.".they shine their shields" though!

Edited by Leonard Venkhater

• 2 weeks later...

Those who know me, know I love a good statistic, so here goes.

Saturday marked Tony Mowbrays 31st game in charge of Rovers at the Championship level, the same number as Owen Coyle and one game more than Paul Lambert, who managed us for 30 Championship fixtures.

Paul Lambert's Rovers

P-30 W-10 D-8 L-12 Pts-38. League Win Percentage - 33.3% League Points per game - 1.27

Lambert's first game - Preston (a) won 2-1. Pickford own goal, Rhodes (pen).

Steele-Henley-Duffy-Hanley-Marcus Olsson-Marshall-Evans-Akpan-Conway [Guthrie]-Lawrence [Taylor]-Rhodes [Koita]

Lambert's last game - Reading (h) won 3-1. Bennett, Graham, Jackson.

Steele-Marshall [Evans]-Duffy-Hanley-Kilgallon-Lenihan-Lowe-Gomez-Bennett [Jackson]-Graham-Grimes [Conway]

Owen Coyle's Rovers

P-31 W-7 D-8 L-16 Pts-29. League Win Percentage - 22.6% League Points per game - 0.94

Coyle's first game - Norwich (h) lost 1-4. Stokes

Steele-Lowe-Duffy-Ward [Greer]-Henley-Feeney-Lenihan-Akpan [Byrne]-Bennett [Stokes]-Graham-Marshall

Coyle's last game* (*League) - Sheffield Wednesday (a) lost 1-2. Hutchinson own goal.

Steele-Lowe-Lenihan-Mulgrew-Williams-Mahoney [Feeney]-Guthrie [Emnes]-Akpan-Bennett-Graham-Gallagher [Conway]

Tony Mowbray's Rovers

P-31 W-11 D-14 L-6 Pts-47. League Win Percentage - 35.5% League Points per game - 1.52

Mowbray's first game - Burton (a) drew 1-1. Palmer own goal

Steele-Nymabe-Lenihan-Mulgrew-Williams-Feeney [Mahoney]-Lowe-Guthrie-Conway-Graham [Lucas Joao]-Emnes [Gallagher]

Mowbray game 31 - QPR (h) won 1-0. Dack (pen)

Leutweiler-Bennett-Lenihan-Williams-Bell-Smallwood [Palmer]-Evans-Reed-Dack-Armstrong [Brereton]-Graham [Rothwell]

Graeme Souness's Rovers

For historical arguement - Graeme Souness' First 31 games in charge of Rovers (at Championship level)

P-31 W-13 D-11 L-7 Pts-50 League Win Percentage - 41.9% League Points per game - 1.61

*N.B. in 2000/01 Rovers went on to win 10 of the next 13 games

Edited by rog of the rovers
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, rog of the rovers said:

Saturday marked Tony Mowbrays 31st game in charge of Rovers at the Championship level, the same number as Owen Coyle and one game more than Paul Lambert, who managed us for 30 Championship fixtures.

Paul Lambert's Rovers

P-30 W-10 D-8 L-12 Pts-38. League Win Percentage - 33.3% League Points per game - 1.27

Lambert's first game - Preston (a) won 2-1. Pickford own goal, Rhodes (pen).

Steele-Henley-Duffy-Hanley-Marcus Olsson-Marshall-Evans-Akpan-Conway [Guthrie]-Lawrence [Taylor]-Rhodes [Koita]

Lambert's last game - Reading (h) won 3-1. Bennett, Graham, Jackson.

Steele-Marshall [Evans]-Duffy-Hanley-Kilgallon-Lenihan-Lowe-Gomez-Bennett [Jackson]-Graham-Grimes [Conway]

Owen Coyle's Rovers

P-31 W-7 D-8 L-16 Pts-29. League Win Percentage - 22.6% League Points per game - 0.94

Coyle's first game - Norwich (h) lost 1-4. Stokes

Steele-Lowe-Duffy-Ward [Greer]-Henley-Feeney-Lenihan-Akpan [Byrne]-Bennett [Stokes]-Graham-Marshall

Coyle's last game* (*League) - Sheffield Wednesday (a) lost 1-2. Hutchinson own goal.

Steele-Lowe-Lenihan-Mulgrew-Williams-Mahoney [Feeney]-Guthrie [Emnes]-Akpan-Bennett-Graham-Gallagher [Conway]

Tony Mowbray's Rovers

P-31 W-11 D-14 L-6 Pts-47. League Win Percentage - 35.5% League Points per game - 1.52

Mowbray's first game - Burton (a) drew 1-1. Palmer own goal

Steele-Nymabe-Lenihan-Mulgrew-Williams-Feeney [Mahoney]-Lowe-Guthrie-Conway-Graham [Lucas Joao]-Emnes [Gallagher]

Mowbray game 31 - QPR (h) won 1-0. Dack (pen)

Leutweiler-Bennett-Lenihan-Williams-Bell-Smallwood [Palmer]-Evans-Reed-Dack-Armstrong [Brereton]-Graham [Rothwell]

Interesting that Mowbray has only won 1 more game than Lambert did over that number of games but has lost half as many and so those extra 6 draws push him out ahead.

29 minutes ago, rog of the rovers said:

I like a good stat too. His season by season comparison is almost identical.

Tony Mowbray's Rovers in the Championship

2016-2017; P-15 W-5 D-7 L-3 Pts-22. League Win Percentage - 33.33% League Points per game - 1.47

2018-2019; P-16 W-6 D-7 L-3 Pts-25. League Win Percentage - 37.5% League Points per game - 1.56

Extrapolating this out over a season puts Rovers ending on around 70 points. Looking at history this probably isn't enough for a play off spot. Mowbray needs a Souness like bump to achieve that. Here are the points totals for 6th spot since the year before Rovers dropped out of the Premier League up until last season;

2017-2018; 75

2016-2017; 80

2015-2016; 74

2014-2015; 78

2013-2014; 72

2012-2013; 68

2011-2012; 70

2 things strike me from this. Coyle was an abysmal manager. There must not have been many draws in the season Rovers were relegated to League 1. 80 points for 6th. Rovers relegated on 51.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Marginal gains are what Mogga’s after...

(He didn’t go to Pune in the end)

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/17221415.rovers-boss-targeting-marginal-gains-after-venkys-talks/?ref=mac

Good. The communication seems good between Mowbray and owners. 

Hopefully this week Mowbray is sorting through scouting reports and finalising his top targets and maybe some final scouting on targets. 

• Backroom
4 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Marginal gains are what Mogga’s after...

(He didn’t go to Pune in the end)

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/17221415.rovers-boss-targeting-marginal-gains-after-venkys-talks/?ref=mac

Good to read.

Well, not literally. The LET is grammatically all over the place!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Probably best that he didn't have to traipse over, but I do wonder why he didn't. Is communication good enough without going over? 

Strange isn't it?

We know Mrs Desai prefers face to face meetings. We know up until very recently that Waggott and Mowbray were due to go this week as they went into the Telegraph and announced it to everyone.

Of course they should be able to get stuff done without needing to go to India, maybe Pasha can do his job as the messenger.

Perhaps I'm a pessimist but this sort of thing always concerns me. I suppose it stems from when Bowyer stopped going to India and his reign began to unravel as he couldn't get anywhere with them. Hopefully no such thing happening here and it is just a case of putting it off to enable more time to be spent in the UK.

You need to look beyond the stats IMO: Lambert and Coyle both left with 'nowt in the tank' in terms of player value and hope for the future. That can't be applied now in terms of Mowbray in either respect but yet the stats still stack up.

I for one was a Mowbray doubter, don't mind holding up my hand and admitting it. I still question his team selections and substitutions on occasions but am eternally grateful for what he has done in turning round the basket case of a club we had become. I love the fact that those donning the blue and white halves are fighting the cause and clearly endorse 'Tony's dream'.

We're 'work in progress' but at least it's something we can all identify with, endorse and more importantly get behind. Long may it continue.....

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Strange isn't it?

We know Mrs Desai prefers face to face meetings. We know up until very recently that Waggott and Mowbray were due to go this week as they went into the Telegraph and announced it to everyone.

Of course they should be able to get stuff done without needing to go to India, maybe Pasha can do his job as the messenger.

Perhaps I'm a pessimist but this sort of thing always concerns me. I suppose it stems from when Bowyer stopped going to India and his reign began to unravel as he couldn't get anywhere with them. Hopefully no such thing happening here and it is just a case of putting it off to enable more time to be spent in the UK.

Ya, up to 2-3 weeks ago the word was that the two of them would be heading over. My suspicioun and worry is the Raos canceled it because they didn't have the time, read its not one of their top priorities. 

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Probably best that he didn't have to traipse over, but I do wonder why he didn't. Is communication good enough without going over? 

I know I wasn't alone in thinking that it was crazy how our managers had to fly over and bend the knee for regular meetings when contact via phone/email etc is more practical and is usually more efficient in getting answers. Started with snakey shit Kean I believe... but now even I get suspicious when they don't go over!

Cards and budget close to his chest, even if it's the square root of bugger all, is always welcomed by me.

Mowbray's been able to spend a few quid but also considerably increase the 'book value' of the squad as well at the same time.  Bowyer was the only other whose done that so hopefully the ownership takes it on board.

Steady manager - steady spend = decent team, squad value and future transfer revenue on a continuous basis.

Ultimate aim a squad strong enough to challenge for promotion but able to withstand and replace the odd large sale now and again.

Just now, S8 & Blue said:

I know I wasn't alone in thinking that it was crazy how our managers had to fly over and bend the knee for regular meetings when contact via phone/email etc is more practical and is usually more efficient in getting answers. Started with snakey shit Kean I believe... but now even I get suspicious when they don't go over!

Cards and budget close to his chest, even if it's the square root of bugger all, is always welcomed by me.

I think once a year would be fine, maybe during the summer. It's the short notice change of plan here that I find odd 

20 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya, up to 2-3 weeks ago the word was that the two of them would be heading over. My suspicioun and worry is the Raos canceled it because they didn't have the time, read its not one of their top priorities. 

I'm almost certain that the reason it now isn't happening is because the owners have put it off or re-arranged. No way would Waggott or Mowbray dare to cancel an arranged appointment with the owners.

The concern for me is whether the cancellation or re-scheduling is simply a case of making things more convenient, or even trusting the Rovers lot to get on with it alone, or whether it is something more worrying e.g. they can't be bothered with Rovers business right now or are starting to fall silent as they have in the past.