BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbray’s Future

2 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Maintaining a jog, trot or canter should be the minimum expectation rather than learning to walk.  A sprint here and there would be great following the amble of the last couple of matches.  

Clear enough?

Don't get ahead of yourself..stalling and staying up would be the expectations of most Rovers fans ..don't let the good start cloud your judgement.

1 minute ago, HowieFive0 said:

Don't get ahead of yourself..stalling and staying up would be the expectations of most Rovers fans ..don't let the good start cloud your judgement.

It's been a good start points wise, not performance wise.  I have no illusions. I think we are nailed on for bottom 6 at this rate. 

Just didn't think 'learning to walk' was a good analogy ??

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Good news.

He’s the right man for Rovers at the moment.

He’s been making some frustrating decisions lately and he needs to sort out the mess of the last 2 games but overall he’s been good for us.

He needs a really wise 2nd in charge alongside him who can persuade him not to follow through with his most stupid decisions, like selecting a team with no strikers or bringing a defender on when we need more upfront etc etc.

I'm absolutely sick of holding my head in my hands when I see the selected side.

We are short of goals, partly because we keep missing them but also we lack creativity. The creative players, apart from an isolated Dack, largely stay on the bench. Again, he is probably afraid to play attacking players because the defence has been crumbling lately. Whose fault is that? if the defence needs improving, why sign mid-fielders he won't play?

I get the impression that he runs the football show largely on his own and I think he needs help. Whether he'd accept that I have no idea.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Maintaining a jog, trot or canter should be the minimum expectation rather than learning to walk.  A sprint here and there would be great following the amble of the last couple of matches.  

Clear enough?

Would a brisk walk keep our necks above water? If we were to find ourselves in deep water would a doggy paddle be enough to drag us to safety?

1 hour ago, Batman. said:

Would a brisk walk keep our necks above water? If we were to find ourselves in deep water would a doggy paddle be enough to drag us to safety?

Given that teams have managed to stroll to the title and others have won it at a canter, maybe a brisk walk is all  that's  required. 

To be fair, even the bookies thought we  would walk league one.  It maybe dependent on league.  Perhaps a scientific formula could be produced to calculate the correct Velocity?

V=LS+M

Edited by Wing Wizard Windy Miller

9 hours ago, 47er said:

He needs a really wise 2nd in charge alongside him who can persuade him not to follow through with his most stupid decisions, like selecting a team with no strikers or bringing a defender on when we need more upfront etc etc.

I'm absolutely sick of holding my head in my hands when I see the selected side.

We are short of goals, partly because we keep missing them but also we lack creativity. The creative players, apart from an isolated Dack, largely stay on the bench. Again, he is probably afraid to play attacking players because the defence has been crumbling lately. Whose fault is that? if the defence needs improving, why sign mid-fielders he won't play?

I get the impression that he runs the football show largely on his own and I think he needs help. Whether he'd accept that I have no idea.

Spot on!!!

13 hours ago, Stuart said:

Good news in the wider scheme of things but god-awful timing.

A new contract should be a walk out and wave at the fans moment. After the recent dreadful performances, perplexing team selections, of the last month or so, and now the humiliation of two heavy defeats to local rivals, he will likely receive a muted response.

I’ve been thoroughly embarrassed all week and at the end of it, the guy responsible gets a pay rise.

Nice one Venkys; the veritable royal family of bad timing.

Bad timing if you aren't capable of taking a step back from the last two games and looking at the bigger picture.

11 hours ago, Rover_Shaun said:

Not sure that waa the case when you know who got a new deal ? take it all with a big pinch of salt 

Not sure I'd of been throwing round a 3.5 year deal though. 1 year at the most. Last year he didn't even quite achieve what he should with the best team and resources in League 1 (1st) and this year he's not showing he can be the man to get us where we need to be sooner rather than later to finally get rid of the parasites whilst the debt is still wipeable by the rewards on offer.. He's a footings man rather than the Messiah and a 1 year rolling would have been more than sufficient.

As for showing faith he'll be sacked quick sharp if the situation arose, just as he'd be off quicker sharp if a better placed offer came up. There is no loyalty in football and potentially burdening youtself with having to give another manager a big payoff isn't good business.

Not showing he is the man to get us where we need to be. Are you for real? 

I think our good start has led some to get carried away with themselves and given them false expectations for where we should be this season. 

When Mowbray took over, if someone said to you in two seasons coming into December we would be in touching distance of the play offs,  would you have been happy with that? 

I hope he is given time. Many Norwich fans were calling for their managers head last season and look at them now. Managers need a few windows to get in who they want. This knee jerk reaction of firing and firing at the first sign of a problem is counter productive in my opinion. 

Before anyone says it, I know no one is calling for Mowbray to be sacked yet. Well not on here anyway. Twitter a different story. 

This football club is crying out for a bit of stability and thankfully we have that with Mowbray. He has not only improved the side on the pitch but has made a major impact behind the scenes, we are operating like a professional football club once again and that goes unnoticed by many.

Personally I wouldn't swap him for any other manager in the Championship at this junction, things are going extremely well, let's hope we continue to see small improvements because they could lead to bigger things further down the road.

Edited by Gav
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Not showing he is the man to get us where we need to be. Are you for real? 

I think our good start has led some to get carried away with themselves and given them false expectations for where we should be this season. 

When Mowbray took over, if someone said to you in two seasons coming into December we would be in touching distance of the play offs,  would you have been happy with that? 

Factor in, we would have been happy with 'anything but Coyle' back then.

I think the fairest reflection in TM is that off the pitch he has been a roaring success.  On the pitch, he has neither exceeded or failed expectations.  The indication from TM would be a squad in 3 - 4 windows (playing attacking football) to challenge for promotion.  That is now his measuring stick.

• Like 1

TM is deserves the plaudits for bringing a passion into the squad (last two games excluded) and massively improving the connection between the club, the players and fans. For that reason alone I am willing to see what he can do in the next few seasons to take that on further and see how he molds the squad. As long as we stay up and improve on that season by season we really cannot complain considering the shit we have had to deal with prior to him.

Edited by JacknOry

The manner of the defeats and performances at Preston and Wigan have cast a bit of an unexpected shadow on a good start to the season and quire rightly called into question some of his methods.  Had we drawn one lost one or lost both at least being competitive there wouldn't have been as much reaction but we do know he and his squad are better than that so hopefully those games are a lesson to all of them like last seasons Southend, Donny and Oldham games.

Get back to basics, get a settled team that gets a few results and leave it alone for a bit if possible. To me Mowbray is all about being a steady eddie and that'll proved the case over the season again his methods are bizarre at times but proven. Think he'll need to get some more attacking quality in before he gets bolder so he needs windows and backing for that but I really really would start looking at that defence if I was him a solid back 4 who know what they are doing and have a couple of commanding figures in gives those in front licence to be a bit more attack minded and maybe just maybe one day we'll end up with a Rovers side that doesn't need two non creative deep lying defensive mids every bleeding game !

I'd hate to see the team in another 2 seasons time almost the same as it is now.

Edited by tomphil

Whenever anyone talks of replacing the manager, we must remember its Venkys who will make the decision as to whether, when and who the replacement is. That doesn't mean a

job for life for TM but it fills me with absolute dread so I really want TM to get his act together.

Little chance that they could get things right twice.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 47er said:

Whenever anyone talks of replacing the manager, we must remember its Venkys who will make the decision as to whether, when and who the replacement is. That doesn't mean a

job for life for TM but it fills me with absolute dread so I really want TM to get his act together.

Little chance that they could get things right twice.

I agree that we can't really discuss Mowbray's career in a logical fashion. He could lose the next ten games, this board could be on fire, yet there could be no reaction from the Chicken Chokers. We still aren't living in the real World.

• Like 4

Ne needs to be able to recruit to build a side for promotion as he sees fit not just follow a remit of we'll give you money if you spend it on  young U25 Englishmen who should double in value quickly if you fit them into the team.

Some of that should be good of course but it shouldn't go unnoticed by the powers that be that the potential best player and value increase here is a sub one million pound buy from league 1 sourced by TM and the other two best and most reliable brought in by other managers were experienced pros with desire still left in the tank with a bit of pedigree picked up on frees and decent wages.

• Like 1

The one thing that I find perplexing is the focus on the extra windows required. Surely thats only a strong argument if past windows had highlighted a consistently strong window by window improvement in terms of recruitment? Im not convinced it has. 

The first window, he signed Dack which proved as a catalyst for improvement. The overall summer was mixed but the likes of Smallwood, Downing and Antonsson were all useful short term in League 1. There were a lot of players that have fallen by the wayside since, Whittingham, Samuel, Hart, Gladwin to name but 4. 

The second window, Armstrong was a particularly good short term signing, Payne and Bell where much less successful, the former wasnt played in his natural position.

The latest summer window was possibly the worst for him in terms of he had ample resources, he signed 7 players and only really Reed has established himself, and even then he is moved from centre to out wide and back too often. Rodwell isnt a centre back, Brereton, Palmer and Rothwell arent wide players and Armstrong likewise and hasnt been good enough.

Considering hes had 3 windows. We look really poor at left back, we only have 2 competent centre backs, one right back, one trusted centre forward and no one anything like securing the wide positions. Thats a chronic lack of balance in the squad.

If you look at the team Mowbray would naturally revert back to, Raya, Lenihan, Mulgrew, Nyambe, Williams, Evans, Bennett and Graham would almost certainly be in it. Im not sure that the team has improved much since he joined nearly 2 years ago. In terms of building and progressing window by window, thats a concern.

Obviously he has done a lot of good for the club and certainly shouldnt be sacked anytime soon or anything like that but its just a point that I felt needed raising on the constant bleating for patience as he needs x more windows. He should have done better/more in the windows hes already had and he needs to be better in terms of player recruitment.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

The one thing that I find perplexing is the focus on the extra windows required. Surely thats only a strong argument if past windows had highlighted a consistently strong window by window improvement in terms of recruitment? Im not convinced it has. 

The first window, he signed Dack which proved as a catalyst for improvement. The overall summer was mixed but the likes of Smallwood, Downing and Antonsson were all useful short term in League 1. There were a lot of players that have fallen by the wayside since, Whittingham, Samuel, Hart, Gladwin to name but 4. 

The second window, Armstrong was a particularly good short term signing, Payne and Bell where much less successful, the former wasnt played in his natural position.

The latest summer window was possibly the worst for him in terms of he had ample resources, he signed 7 players and only really Reed has established himself, and even then he is moved from centre to out wide and back too often. Rodwell isnt a centre back, Brereton, Palmer and Rothwell arent wide players and Armstrong likewise and hasnt been good enough.

Considering hes had 3 windows. We look really poor at left back, we only have 2 competent centre backs, one right back, one trusted centre forward and no one anything like securing the wide positions. Thats a chronic lack of balance in the squad.

If you look at the team Mowbray would naturally revert back to, Raya, Lenihan, Mulgrew, Nyambe, Williams, Evans, Bennett and Graham would almost certainly be in it. Im not sure that the team has improved much since he joined nearly 2 years ago. In terms of building and progressing window by window, thats a concern.

Obviously he has done a lot of good for the club and certainly shouldnt be sacked anytime soon or anything like that but its just a point that I felt needed raising on the constant bleating for patience as he needs x more windows. He should have done better/more in the windows hes already had and he needs to be better in terms of player recruitment.

Yep, Dack apart, we are still wholly reliant on players he inherited. He's spent over £10m achieving that. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Ne needs to be able to recruit to build a side for promotion as he sees fit not just follow a remit of we'll give you money if you spend it on  young U25 Englishmen who should double in value quickly if you fit them into the team.

Some of that should be good of course but it shouldn't go unnoticed by the powers that be that the potential best player and value increase here is a sub one million pound buy from league 1 sourced by TM and the other two best and most reliable brought in by other managers were experienced pros with desire still left in the tank with a bit of pedigree picked up on frees and decent wages.

Playing the buying very young English players is a risky game. That's why I thought the Brereton deal was a gamble we didn't need to take. Two or three seasons back the " Brereton " was Zac Clough at Bolton.  Loads of big clubs were casting an eye over him but Forest pulled the trigger and signed him for a substantial fee. He can't get a game on loan at Rochdale at the moment.

• Like 4