BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbray’s Future

3 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Personally I’m glad the playoffs are now out of sight; this squad in the Prem would’ve been a complete disaster. A lot of work needed before we can seriously think of top 6

OK well firstly they aren't out of sight, yet.

Secondly, I would take going up under any circumstances. Even if we were guaranteed bottom the following year. 

I do admire your self preservation though. I never wanted to go up either! :)

Has Tony taken us as far as he can?,we all want to believe he can do better but questions are starting to be asked.

For most fans,consolidation back at this level would have sufficed but results are proving very awkward at present.Are supporters expectations too high on the back of a Promotion?

With our apparent inability to see out games from a winning position are his tactics and/or backroom staff up to scratch at this level?

I am starting to believe he has taken us as far as he can with the Players he has at his disposal...many of which are not  championship standard.

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

Good job he didn't get the 6 years Big Dog was spruiking! :lol:

A goal in the 90th minute should be a winner----for us! To concede 2 from there is soul-destroying and the manager has to take responsibility and

the steps needed to ensure we don't have any more of this. Its been a feature of our games for far too long now that we throw away hard-won leads in the last few minutes.

It's unacceptable. If the players aren't good enough---replace them.

If that doesn't fix it we have to look at the manager. We can't go on like this,

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ah, people are getting carried away talking about relegation. We will scrap enough to come mid table. Its actually ironic that a lot of those calling for Mowbray to be sacked , were those who said we would do well to just stay up. Now their expectations have changed. 

I just think it's a shame as when Dack goes, we will look at this season as a missed opportunity where we could have had a good play off push. 

You wanted to give him 6 more years. I said that was ludicrous at the time (without the benefit of hindsight).

30 minutes ago, 47er said:

You wanted to give him 6 more years. I said that was ludicrous at the time (without the benefit of hindsight).

Why would I specifically say 6 years?  I dont remember saying that. 

What's the bit in bold about? 

Think you're losing your memory. That happens when you get older or maybe you are on the sherry? 

• Backroom

Still love the bloke, desperate for him to have us challenging, would hate to end up with any resentment towards him after last season (outside of the first few games)

With Kean and Coyle and co it was cathartic to have a figure to aim the anger at because they were detestable, with Mowbray you never want to feel that way. 

Edited by Tom
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Has Tony taken us as far as he can?,we all want to believe he can do better but questions are starting to be asked.

Six points out of 24; one win in 8. Amber lights are flashing. Mowbray needs to get to grips with the team's problems quickly, or amber will turn to red. 

• Like 1

I honestly don't think we will be relegated but my real fear is getting into a scrap given the way the team have capitulated recently. But the big problem of losing leads and conceding goals has to be addressed by Mowbray and my real concern is that he doesn't know how to. His post match comments yesterday frankly appalled me when he said about the strikers coming back to defend. Is he trying to exonerate himself and pass the buck? His demeanour on the touchline when he puts his head in his hands after a players error is a public display which is quite damning of the player. He appears to have belief in his players as evidenced by him handing out new contracts to players who the majority of fans think aren't good enough for the Championship. A few weeks ago the team defended terrifically well at West Bromwich in difficult circumstances which tells me the players do have some 'bottle'. 

This is a testing time for Mowbray with a transfer window coming up and a run of poor form. I don't believe we should be pressing the panic button yet but he simply has to make us harder to beat.

8 hours ago, Tom said:

Still love the bloke, desperate for him to have us challenging, would hate to end up with any resentment towards him after last season (outside of the first few games)

With Kean and Coyle and co it was cathartic to have a figure to aim the anger at because they were detestable, with Mowbray you never want to feel that way. 

Detested and had questionable motives.. 

Any comparison shows a reactive, absense of sense, ignorance of memory and complete lack of respect.

Even under Lambert and Bowyer, we had arguably more suitable championship squads- but both (despite better motives) never managed to build any consistency in our results.

Tony (imo) needs time to attempt the same at this level, not half a season. The lack of experience in our squad has led to issues with concentration, calmness and confidence when in good positions like yesterday. 

That to me shows (at least) that we aren’t too far away. Can TM change those “shit the bed” moments? I personally think he will.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Why would I specifically say 6 years?  I dont remember saying that. 

What's the bit in bold about? 

Think you're losing your memory. That happens when you get older or maybe you are on the sherry? 

Now that you can't deny what you wrote perhaps you could answer your own question--"why would you specifically say 6 years?"

Secondly, since you are so aware of what happens to people when they get older,  perhaps you could explain why I, an older man, can remember accurately what you wrote and you can't even remember your own post? Too much sherry?

18 minutes ago, Biz said:

Detested and had questionable motives.. 

Any comparison shows a reactive, absense of sense, ignorance of memory and complete lack of respect.

Even under Lambert and Bowyer, we had arguably more suitable championship squads- but both (despite better motives) never managed to build any consistency in our results.

Tony (imo) needs time to attempt the same at this level, not half a season. The lack of experience in our squad has led to issues with concentration, calmness and confidence when in good positions like yesterday. 

That to me shows (at least) that we aren’t too far away. Can TM change those “shit the bed” moments? I personally think he will.

We aren't too far away from what?

Has Tony Mowbray become a managerial dinosaur?

Virtually all aspects of Rovers worry me.

I cannot see a pattern of play - I find most of our football drab and uninspiring (and to think some on here hammered Big Sam!).  I don't think Mowbray is tactically competent never mind tactically innovative and this shows in our game management.  We are overly cautious and rarely seem to take the game to the opposition - let then start feckin worrying about us for a change.  IMO, Dack apart, Mowbray's transfer dealing are very poor - I think Brereton and Armstrong are disastrous signings and there have been far too many Joe Averages such as Hart, Gladwin etc.  We constantly see square pegs in round holes - how the hell is that going to help either the team or individual players develop.  As far mental and physical fitness, we seem to lag behind so many teams.

Personally, I can't see how Mowbray can be trusted as the man to take us forward.  IMV, to give him funds for the transfer window would be foolish based upon on his record with us.

Some supporters detest change, hope things will change for the better, bury their heads in the sand,  Sadly for Rovers under Mowbray, I think we will tread water at best. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Has Tony Mowbray become a managerial dinosaur?

Virtually all aspects of Rovers worry me.

I cannot see a pattern of play - I find most of our football drab and uninspiring (and to think some on here hammered Big Sam!).  I don't think Mowbray is tactically competent never mind tactically innovative and this shows in our game management.  We are overly cautious and rarely seem to take the game to the opposition - let then start feckin worrying about us for a change.  IMO, Dack apart, Mowbray's transfer dealing are very poor - I think Brereton and Armstrong are disastrous signings and there have been far too many Joe Averages such as Hart, Gladwin etc.  We constantly see square pegs in round holes - how the hell is that going to help either the team or individual players develop.  As far mental and physical fitness, we seem to lag behind so many teams.

Personally, I can't see how Mowbray can be trusted as the man to take us forward.  IMV, to give him funds for the transfer window would be foolish based upon on his record with us.

Some supporters detest change, hope things will change for the better, bury their heads in the sand,  Sadly for Rovers under Mowbray, I think we will tread water at best. 

It’s not about detesting change for me. We’ve had an awful lot of change over the last few seasons and in each case I’ve wanted it to come sooner than it did.

Mowbray seems a decent man who has done well overall for us since he came in. That means I intend to give him another few months to prove himself in this league.  I think he’s earnt that and I’m not convinced that a new manager will be able to change anything drastically in the short to medium term. That doesn’t mean he has mine or anyone else’s unlimited support though - if we continue to drop down the league....

• Like 3