BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbray’s Future

28 minutes ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

To be fair to Tony, SISU constantly stripped any players of value every season, and constantly downgraded the squad. Think of the period when Rhodes and Gestede were replaced by Defonseou and Brown. Except every transfer window.

That’s not quite true mate. Rhodes was replaced, in effect, by Graham under Lambert.

Delfouneso and Brown were just a bonus given to us by Bowyer! (Although Brown was used sparingly by Lambert, it was between Graham and Simeon Jackson for the striker slot(s)).

As an aside, can you believe Brown played 37 games for us??

44 minutes ago, Stuart said:

I think you make a good point here. However, Ferguson has to keep getting new number two because they kept getting manager jobs themselves, and also Mowbray is all about having people around him he trusts. I don’t see Venus going anywhere soon.

Johnson is Damien Johnson, ex Rovers player and current U23 manager.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damien_Johnson

01072E57-3F14-4B38-8B80-F7AECC7A1AA7.jpeg

Last time I saw him he looked in great shape.  Looked like he could still be playing. He'd get the buggers fit. He's done a good job in running the second stream. It's a bloody tough task at any club. Your best players are constantly being loaned out or selected for the first team squad.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Last time I saw him he looked in great shape.  Looked like he could still be playing. He'd get the buggers fit. He's done a good job in running the second stream. It's a bloody tough task at any club. Your best players are constantly being loaned out or selected for the first team squad.

Couldn’t agree more.

In fact he looks slimmer now that in his playing days.

Whilst I respect the rights of people to have their own opinions on Tony I would just like you all to remember where we were before he arrived and the previous few years of catastrophic disaster on a seasonal basis. Let’s just give a manager at least three or four years before any judgement is cast. 

I thank you. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, old darwen blue said:

Whilst I respect the rights of people to have their own opinions on Tony I would just like you all to remember where we were before he arrived and the previous few years of catastrophic disaster on a seasonal basis. Let’s just give a manager at least three or four years before any judgement is cast. 

I thank you. 

I'm not advocating that he's sacked, but he's basically just got us back to where we were before the ridiculous appointment of Coyle.

The relegation season was the only one of real catastrophic disaster, (since Kean left).

Let's see if he can turn it back around for the remainder of the season, and restore the momentum that's now been lost.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, old darwen blue said:

I thank you. 

IMO no manager should have 3 or 4 years before any judgement by fans, it simply doesn't take that long and besides we could be in the wilderness by then.

It's painfully obvious that his current tactics/style or whatever you like to call it is failing as is evidenced by the results and the repetitive mistakes week in week out.

This team (like most teams) is a reflection of the manager and many on this board can see the failings but as many have said he doesn't seem to see the problems.

Thanks to the introduction of "IFollow" I have seen every game over the last two seasons and it's easy to see that things are deteriorating on the pitch so my judgement on the manager is that he's way to cautious needs to focus on this teams strengths not the oppositions. I agree he's probably a nice guy but I'd prefer someone with fire in his belly who doesn't "big up" the opposition before every game, and someone who will stop the hoofball.

7 hours ago, Stuart said:

That’s not quite true mate. Rhodes was replaced, in effect, by Graham under Lambert.

Delfouneso and Brown were just a bonus given to us by Bowyer! (Although Brown was used sparingly by Lambert, it was between Graham and Simeon Jackson for the striker slot(s)).

As an aside, can you believe Brown played 37 games for us??

My timing was a bit out but every year for the last 10, any player who does well is moved out of Coventry City ASAP to pay for SISU's legal bills as they sue the council for the 45th time. Maddison of Leicester city is the most obvious example, but there was also Gudmonsson, now at Cardiff, Christie now at Fulham,Wilson of Bournemouth, and other players not so well known like Frank Moussa, Carl Baker, Marc McNulty and Leon Clarke who all did well in whichever league the club was in, and then shipped out asap. No manager can ever do well when the core of the squad moves on and is replaced by free transfers or players like Marcus Tudgay or Marvin Sordell every summer.

4 hours ago, old darwen blue said:

I thank you. 

So Coyle and Kean should have had three or four years? 

I don't think too many are actually saying Mowbray should be sacked but there simply has to be a big turn around in results. That is the same for any manager, they are in the results business and we are currently falling massively short. He is, quite rightly under pressure and he more than anyone will know the consequences should results not improve.

2 hours ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

My timing was a bit out but every year for the last 10, any player who does well is moved out of Coventry City ASAP to pay for SISU's legal bills as they sue the council for the 45th time. Maddison of Leicester city is the most obvious example, but there was also Gudmonsson, now at Cardiff, Christie now at Fulham,Wilson of Bournemouth, and other players not so well known like Frank Moussa, Carl Baker, Marc McNulty and Leon Clarke who all did well in whichever league the club was in, and then shipped out asap. No manager can ever do well when the core of the squad moves on and is replaced by free transfers or players like Marcus Tudgay or Marvin Sordell every summer.

Wasn’t that Crewe’s entire business model at one stage? May still be.

• Moderation Lead
7 hours ago, old darwen blue said:

I thank you. 

He's still in credit for what he's done overall so far and I certainly don't want him sacked at the moment, but if this terrible run and continued leaking of late goals carries on, he will be on thin ice......

• Like 2

After the dust has settled on another chastening defeat at the weekend everything became clear to me on the drive to work this morning;

We aren't going to get back to the Premier League whilst Venkys own the club. Perhaps this was obvious to most however the start to this season combined with the promotion last year had given me some false hope, however in truth we don't have a manager that is capable of taking us to the promised land whilst Venkys continue to exist. 

I've got a lot of time for TM, he has brought some much needed positivity back to the club after the lowest point of Venkys tenure in chimp head. However he simply isn't capable to get us promoted. His player recruitment, setup of teams, insistence on playing people out of position, questionable formations and the recent trend of the team conceding late goals isn't conducive to us getting promoted. It's a shame as I would love him to get us up but it simply won't happen. 

And here is the most disturbing part - Venkys won't get rid of him regardless of results or where we finish. He has got himself in a position where he is essentially running the place and, more importantly, Venkys simply don't care enough to make a change and even if they did who the fuck do they listen to? They've been burnt so many times by bad advice and/or corruption that they wouldn't know who to turn to. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

After the dust has settled on another chastening defeat at the weekend everything became clear to me on the drive to work this morning;

We aren't going to get back to the Premier League whilst Venkys own the club. Perhaps this was obvious to most however the start to this season combined with the promotion last year had given me some false hope, however in truth we don't have a manager that is capable of taking us to the promised land whilst Venkys continue to exist. 

I've got a lot of time for TM, he has brought some much needed positivity back to the club after the lowest point of Venkys tenure in chimp head. However he simply isn't capable to get us promoted. His player recruitment, setup of teams, insistence on playing people out of position, questionable formations and the recent trend of the team conceding late goals isn't conducive to us getting promoted. It's a shame as I would love him to get us up but it simply won't happen. 

And here is the most disturbing part - Venkys won't get rid of him regardless of results or where we finish. He has got himself in a position where he is essentially running the place and, more importantly, Venkys simply don't care enough to make a change and even if they did who the fuck do they listen to? They've been burnt so many times by bad advice and/or corruption that they wouldn't know who to turn to. 

That's the root of the issue. The Chemo might be working for now but the Cancer is still in our body.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

This is a worry for me.  It could quite easily develop into another K**n scenario.

Just now, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

This is a worry for me.  It could quite easily develop into another K**n scenario.

I'm not sure it'll ever turn that toxic. TM is streets ahead of that rat in terms of managerial ability and I'd like to think he would fall on his sword eventually if it ever got really bad as he comes across as a decent man. The worry for me is we are stuck in mid table mediocrity for years to come. 

1 hour ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

The next manager will be someone out of work who has got promotion to the Premier League before, no matter how long ago - just like the last 3 managers (and near miss Warnock) That's the level of thinking that goes into our managerial appointments.

Lump on King Kenny if Mogga gets sacked. 

• Like 1

Re: the V’s not getting rid. Agree he would appear to be running the joint with Waggot but it only ever takes one advisor to get in the ear of Blingy/Madam for a manager to be potted. Also, don’t forget that TM had to extinguish their lofty ambitions during the summer. 

As long as she isn’t holding regular FaceTime coffee mornings with Mrs Mowbray then we should be okay. 

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

12 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Re: the V’s not getting rid. Agree he would appear to be running the joint with Waggot but it only ever takes one advisor to get in the ear of Blingy/Madam for a manager to be potted. Also, don’t forget that TM had to extinguish their lofty ambitions during the summer. 

I think TM has been very shrewd in getting his own men in position a void was spotted in the club but at the end of the day it's a results driven business and you can bet your bottom dollar a few advisors will be looking to take advantage of venkys again 

• Backroom
Just now, blueboy3333 said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17327482.tony-mowbray-on-his-team-selection-at-sheffield-united/

“The defence crumbled after the first goal and that’s not what we expect"

It is.

If that's not what he expects then he clearly doesn't see the problem. Hopefully that's just public bravado. I can't imagine anybody could be stupid enough to not take notice of the fact we repeatedly crumble and concede again very soon when a team scores against us. 

vs Reading - conceded on 12 and 25 minutes

vs Stoke - 79 and 80 minutes

vs Sheff Utd (@ Ewood) - 66 and 79 minutes

vs Swansea - 64, 68 and 85 minutes

vs Preston - 2 and 10 minutes, 74 and 85 minutes

vs Birmingham - 78 and 80 minutes

vs Leeds - 91 and 94 minutes

vs Sheff Utd (@ Brammall Lane) - 73, 77 and 82 minutes

That's eight matches this season where we've conceded a second goal less than fifteen minutes after the first one went in. Often it's literally only a few minutes after. It's clearly a pattern and something that seems to be getting worse rather than getting better. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Consolidation was expected  by most this Season but a return to Div1 looks more on the cards than a return to the Top flight in the near future.

Venkys..we simply can't escape them and the impact they have had on this Club.

To be fair to them they stumped up around £10 Million this summer. There is a lot of Championship managers who would love that sort of financial backing, it's not their fault that Mowbray spent it on a load of rubbish. They also stumped out on extended and no doubt improved contracts for numerous players again not their fault that a fair few of them are playing a league above their level.

Edited by Ewood Ace
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

The next manager will be someone out of work who has got promotion to the Premier League before, no matter how long ago - just like the last 3 managers (and near miss Warnock) That's the level of thinking that goes into our managerial appointments.

Would you really want to tarnish those memories?

3 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

Yep they'll get a list of these presented to them via their usual channels then simply enquire who will work the cheapest and who is most desperate to rebuild their battered rep. Then they'll draw straws to decide and no one on the ground at Ewood will know who's coming until the day before but it'll be someone who's at least 25-1 and bets will have been cast overnight.

That's how all the one's since Bowyer have pitched up so it wouldn't be any different next time. In Mowbray the dice finally fell for them and they got lucky just as they did with the desperation of putting the youth coach in charge years ago. As we all know though luck doesn't last it runs out, usually after a season or two in football !

• Like 1

13 hours ago, old darwen blue said:

I thank you. 

Another 3 or 4 months of current form and I think most people will be casting judgement. This season could be catastrophic by then.

• Like 1