BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rap Music & Rapping

Rap music, in my opinion, is the worst genre of music ever. I use the term music lightly. Looking at Wiki, Rap was about in the 1970s. I heard a Rap song in the early to mid 80s and thought it was pure sh*te. Music styles like Punk came and went in the blink of an eye but sodding Rap just will not die. Who the f buys/downloads it? Who likes it? Why will it not die?

Although I listen to a variety of music, rap and hip hop are definitely my favourite, my go to genre so to speak. I mainly like the 90's stuff, Wu Tang Clan, DMX, Outkast, Nas, Cypress Hill and the greatest of all time, Eminem. The state of 'the rap game' these days is shocking.  When Drake is the biggest name around, then it's a truly sorry state. The rappers of today aren't fit to lace the boots of those mentioned above, the only newish decent guys at the moment are Chance the Rapper and Kendrick Lamar, though I wasn't a fan of his last two efforts, he'd gone all weird hipster rap which seems to be the trend these days (fellas like Tyler the Creator etc).

It must be my age but it's complete @#/?. Two or three black guys dressed like clowns shouting at each other ?  I don't know what's worse rap or wrestling.

I've been a massive music fan all my life so I've got hundreds of CD's of all forms of music. Reggae is another over-rated style for me. I got " Twenty Reggae Greats " and they're all good but twenty is enough. Country music doesn't need many more than that either.

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It must be my age but it's complete @#/?. Two or three black guys dressed like clowns shouting at each other ?  I don't know what's worse rap or wrestling.

I've been a massive music fan all my life so I've got hundreds of CD's of all forms of music. Reggae is another over-rated style for me. I got " Twenty Reggae Greats " and they're all good but twenty is enough. Country music doesn't need many more than that either.

That's almost offensive! Wrestling at least involves talent from the performers.

1979's Rappers Delight by The Sugarhill Gang is probably the finest rap ever put down.It was downhill from here. This shizzle's like Sheakespeare. Check it...  

Well, I was walking home late one afternoon
A reporter stopped me for an interview
She said she's heard stories and she's heard fables
That I'm vicious on the mic and the turntable
This young reporter I did adore,
So I rocked some vicious rhymes like I never did before
She said, "Damn, fly guy, I'm in love with you
The Casanova legend must have been true"
I said, "By the way, baby, what's your name?"
Said, "I go by name of Lois Lane
And you could be my boyfriend, you surely can,
Just let me quit my boyfriend called Superman."
I said, "He's a fairy, I do suppose
Flyin' through the air in pantyhose
He may be very sexy, or even cute,
But he looks like a sucker in a blue and red suit, "
I said, "You need a man man who's got finesse
And his whole name across his chest
He may be able to fly all through the night,
But can he rock a party 'til the early light?
He can't satisfy you with his little worm,
But I can bust you out with my super sperm!"
I go do it, I go do it, I go do it, do it, do it.

sugarhill.jpg

On 22/02/2017 at 10:12 PM, Claytons Left Boot said:

Rap music, in my opinion, is the worst genre of music ever. I use the term music lightly. Looking at Wiki, Rap was about in the 1970s. I heard a Rap song in the early to mid 80s and thought it was pure sh*te. Music styles like Punk came and went in the blink of an eye but sodding Rap just will not die. Who the f buys/downloads it? Who likes it? Why will it not die?

It's rubbish. Why bother having talent, writing music or play an instrument ? Just nick someone else's.

Rap is actually pronounced with a silent 'c'

I love a bit of hip hop.  The genre went downhill from the early 90s though and I don't like anyone from after the golden period.  At it's best rap can be intelligent and thoughtful as well as powerful and even revolutionary.  For me the best of the genre are KRS-1, Eric B and Rakim, Public Enemy and Ice-T.

Entirely depends on what you are considering to be 'rap'. The majority of modern 'chart' rappers are terrible, I'll agree. The biggest issue being lots of really credible rap artists have followed the money into 'chart' music - see Will.i.am who is one of the greatest rap freestylers alive, but that doesn't pay big bucks.

However, there's also lots of current rappers out there, as well as loads of 'older' rappers who have created some of the most relevant, world changing or thought provoking content in history. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderation Lead

It's a massive genre of music that can't be written off based on some shocking stuff which admittedly, does exist.

It would be like me writing off all rock music because I don't like Snow Patrol.

The '90s was a golden era and produced some of the best records, groups and acts the genre has seen. (Nas, A Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, Jungle Brothers, Notorious B.I.G, early Snoop). 

The '80s was more raw (down to technology and production techniques mostly) but the truly defining stuff came in this decade. Think Run DMC, NWA etc.

Nowadays? Well, there is some good stuff out there, but you need to dig deep. The best stuff I've heard has come from Joey Bada$$, Danny Brown, Tyler, The Creator, Action Bronson and others.

As I said, it's a massive genre, there's nigh on something for everyone within, I guarantee it. 

On 23/02/2017 at 0:40 PM, Mike E said:

That's almost offensive! Wrestling at least involves talent from the performers.

I find a lot of the comments in here embarrassing, but especially this one. Some of the most talented musicians of our era have been Rappers. I don't really listen to rap with any frequency, but this thread is a bit "how can anyone like this thing I don't like??!"

It's quite simple really, it's a matter of taste. What more do you expect? The question is really as pointless and ridiculous as saying "how can anybody like rock/ jazz/ metal/ pop/ Picasso's paintings/ Tarrentino's films/ Football."

It's face palm stuff.

1 hour ago, K-Hod said:

It's a massive genre of music that can't be written off based on some shocking stuff which admittedly, does exist.

It would be like me writing off all rock music because I don't like Snow Patrol.

The '90s was a golden era and produced some of the best records, groups and acts the genre has seen. (Nas, A Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, Jungle Brothers, Notorious B.I.G, early Snoop). 

The '80s was more raw (down to technology and production techniques mostly) but the truly defining stuff came in this decade. Think Run DMC, NWA etc.

Nowadays? Well, there is some good stuff out there, but you need to dig deep. The best stuff I've heard has come from Joey Bada$$, Danny Brown, Tyler, The Creator, Action Bronson and others.

As I said, it's a massive genre, there's nigh on something for everyone within, I guarantee it. 

Tyler the Creator? You heathen!

• Moderation Lead
2 minutes ago, donnermeat said:

Tyler the Creator? You heathen!

I've listened to some of his stuff at length and I do like it, tbh! A lot of the odd future stuff is great to my mind! 

• Backroom
16 hours ago, Batman. said:

I find a lot of the comments in here embarrassing, but especially this one. Some of the most talented musicians of our era have been Rappers. I don't really listen to rap with any frequency, but this thread is a bit "how can anyone like this thing I don't like??!"

It's quite simple really, it's a matter of taste. What more do you expect? The question is really as pointless and ridiculous as saying "how can anybody like rock/ jazz/ metal/ pop/ Picasso's paintings/ Tarrentino's films/ Football."

It's face palm stuff.

Lighten up dude. I was playing on the fact people use exactly same argument for wrestling. Perhaps I should've used this emoji :P

• Moderation Lead
On ‎10‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 9:05 PM, Claytons Left Boot said:

There's the square root of f all for me. Your guarantee is worthless :-)

As I said, it's like me writing off rock music because I don't like Snow Patrol or Coldplay, when there are however many sub-genres of music that broadly comes under the 'rock' umbrella from Bob Dylan to Cannibal Corpse.

Music is massive and diverse.

What I find is a lot of chart rap/hip hop is only successful because they sample old songs. Others have some guy rapping the verse  and then a proper "sung" chorus - usually by a girl that can sing a bit.

The catchy bit, the part with talent, is the old bit or the proper singing bit. In between you've got some guy talking aggressively over a catchy bass line. 

• 3 weeks later...

But that was partly the origin of modern hip-hop. DJs looping over the break beats of other tunes so people could dance longer, then the MCs rapping on top to trying and raise the crowd. A good MC or rapper should be able to go with whatever the DJ plays, it's not like they are a traditional band.

Anyway, I'm off to see (some of) The Sugar Hill Gang & The Furious Five and Melle Mel in June. Sure, it's not quite the original line-up and it's a bunch of old guys trying to cash in before they get too old, but it's not every day you get the see the actual forefathers on an entire culture.

• 4 weeks later...
On 06/04/2017 at 8:20 PM, Glenn said:

But that was partly the origin of modern hip-hop. DJs looping over the break beats of other tunes so people could dance longer, then the MCs rapping on top to trying and raise the crowd. A good MC or rapper should be able to go with whatever the DJ plays, it's not like they are a traditional band.

Anyway, I'm off to see (some of) The Sugar Hill Gang & The Furious Five and Melle Mel in June. Sure, it's not quite the original line-up and it's a bunch of old guys trying to cash in before they get too old, but it's not every day you get the see the actual forefathers on an entire culture.

I watched the sugar hill gang recently. They where incredible. 

Hip Hop Evolution on Netflix is worth a watch. Documentary on hip hop from the beginning up to Gangsta. Loads of interviews and great footage.

Archived