BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] "Do I want Rovers to stay up this season?"

JohnD

Stuart asked this of me earlier.

It's a simple enough question you would think but I'm torn.

I'm boycotting and like to believe that results don't matter, all that matters is that the Rao's go and I'd accept anything to achieve that. However, and as always, the closer the threat of relegation comes the more I want to go and support whoever is wearing the shirts in an attempt to stave off relegation. I can't be arsed with night matches anymore, too far, too late, too old but while there's a chance of us going down I'll be back for the weekend home matches.

Unlike most on here I believe we must all make our own decisions based on circumstances and respect whatever decisions others make or change.

If our fan base wasn't so divided we would have a better chance all round, relegation, new owners, whatever but this messageboard ensures division among fans. They didn't create it but they certainly feed the flames and that is the greatest shame and pity. If the cap fits throw it away, have more respect and fight for the club.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Stuart said:

You are torn?

We absolutely must stay up this season. I can't believe it's even a question.

Third tier under Venkys is the end of this club.

But as long as it's the end of Venky's too!? Many others have started again from administration. It's not my preferred route but they really must go.

Yes, I know, hence torn. It isn't an easy choice but a non league club and restored pride?

Football is just about money, it isn't the game I grew up with and loved. Owners, managers and players are all cynical and just in it for themselves, few give a sh1t about fans.

I just want venkys gone and replaced with something that stands in unison with the fans. I'm not along for a sugar daddy just owners that do their best within their means to give the fans something to shout for 

It's killing me. I can handle being crap. But I cannot handle being left to rot whilst the ineffable pick the bones out of the club. It's soul-destroying. 

Whatever it takes to get them gone is fine by me 

Looking at the bigger picture, I always think the farther we slide the nearer we are to Venkys going or a new club getting going.

However, when we come to individual games, I'm always happy when we win and sad when we lose.

Contradictory? Absolutely!

• Backroom

I think you're overestimating the importance of this MB. It's, what, a couple of dozen regular posters? I imagine the majority of people who go to Ewood don't even know this place exists. The reason there is division is simply because there is no obvious, clear path forwards. You have the people who think attending games and backing the team/manager is the most important thing. You have people who are willing to protest but want to attend as well. You have people who think a full on boycott is the answer. You have people who think flying over to India to confront the Raos is the answer. You have people who think Jason Lowe is the root of all evil (possibly true). It goes on and on. With the enemy being in another country and Ewood staffed by puppets it's little surprise nobody really has any idea what to do.

Well, except WAR. Does that still exist?

I would assume everyone wants to stay up.  I've wanted to stay up every one of the five relegation seasons I've witnessed.  Every one of those seasons has been filled with hard luck stories and squads ravaged by injuries.  Sadly, relegation is part and parcel of football but I consider myself to have been fortunate that in fifty-odd years of following the Rovers I've only had to suffer five relegations.  Four of those relegations came long before Venkys arrived on the scene so relegation certainly isn't unique to then.  Personally, I can't see the present owners going anywhere anytime soon so we just need to keep battling on and hoping we survive this season or battle back next season should the worst happen this time round.  There will always be a hardcore of three or four thousand who will continue to support the club no matter how far we fall so there will always be a foundation on which to rebuild.

Anyone that does not want Rovers to stay up should just walk away you are not a true fan.

We all want Venkys gone but that's not a reason to want relegation particularly as even relegation is no guarantee they would leave. We all hate Venkys for dragging Rovers down to this level but it would be even worse if we were relegated and the b#stards were still here..

Another year in championship is another year with Venkys ... That said I am not old enough to remember us being in the third tier of football and I would very much like that to continue

Just now, Parsonblue said:

You might not want to read it but relegation is part and parcel of football.  Teams go down and teams go up.  Every team is just one bad season away from relegation.

Knew it.

Just now, Parsonblue said:

You might not want to read it but relegation is part and parcel of football.  Teams go down and teams go up.  Every team is just one bad season away from relegation.

Also expected this sort of reply. If we are relegated it will have nothing to do with part and parcel or ebb and flow or any other nice waxing lyrical term.

It would be nothing like any previous relegations Ive seen at Rovers at my age of 65.

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

Also expected this sort of reply. If we are relegated it will have nothing to do with part and parcel or ebb and flow or any other nice waxing lyrical term.

It would be nothing like any previous relegations Ive seen at Rovers at my age of 65.

All relegations have certain aspects that are similar - poor management, bad luck, decisions going against you and injuries to key players.  As you say, every relegation we've both seen since 65-66 has contained those and we have suffered all of those this season plus we have had the added disadvantage of a remote and distant ownership.  We have addressed the manager issue - hopefully not too late - and we can only hope that things on the field start going in our favour as I don't think the distant ownership - and seemingly lack of interest on their part - is going to change. 

48 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

Yes im sure thats likely to happen to man u, barcelona, bayern etc utter tripe

Archived