BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Will 45pts save us.

duggy9197

On ‎24‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 4:52 PM, jim mk2 said:

You don't get relegated on failing to win one game. If we go down it's because we haven't been good enough over the whole season. 

Or because we had a player, who wanted away and should never have been selected, score two own goals in one game and one own goal in another. Very fine margins this year possibly, so we could have done without that.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, lraC said:

Or because we had a player, who wanted away and should never have been selected, score two own goals in one game and one own goal in another. Very fine margins this year possibly, so we could have done without that.

Spot on.

Ive been saying for months that Duffy deliberately cost us 3 points away to Cardiff and getting pelters for it.

Fact is it did happen and disrupts the theory that things even out over a season.

We've yet to play a game where an oppo player does all he can to make his own side lose.

Duffy's behaviour may well relegate us.

I sincerley hope that Duffy is feckin crap in the PL and soon surplus to requirements at Brighton.

40 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Spot on.

Ive been saying for months that Duffy deliberately cost us 3 points away to Cardiff and getting pelters for it.

Fact is it did happen and disrupts the theory that things even out over a season.

We've yet to play a game where an oppo player does all he can to make his own side lose.

Duffy's behaviour may well relegate us.

I sincerley hope that Duffy is feckin crap in the PL and soon surplus to requirements at Brighton.

You have every right to have been saying it for months. I have seen some people suggesting that these were not deliberate. Too many things point to this being intentional and I have to say in the 45 years I have been watching football, I have never seen anything like it.

As most of us know on here, he is not premier league standard, so will definitely be looking for another club very soon. If we do go down by a point or two, I will consider his actions to have costs us, simple as that.

Whether it was deliberate or not, the fact is someone like him with his attitude who clearly didn't want to be at the club should have been nowhere near the first team.

The question then is why was he in the first team? Was it merely another cock up by Coyle who failed to recognise Duffy not being mentally fit to play? Or was it someone more senior insisting that Duffy feature for the first team to try and enhance his value?

28 minutes ago, lraC said:

You have every right to have been saying it for months. I have seen some people suggesting that these were not deliberate. Too many things point to this being intentional and I have to say in the 45 years I have been watching football, I have never seen anything like it.

As most of us know on here, he is not premier league standard, so will definitely be looking for another club very soon. If we do go down by a point or two, I will consider his actions to have costs us, simple as that.

Duffy hasn't relegated us - when we go down it'll be because we haven't been good enough over nine months. 

40 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Duffy hasn't relegated us - when we go down it'll be because we haven't been good enough over nine months. 

I guess in a lot of ways, some people will say it isn't Venky's fault, when the inevitable administration happens. It's just that for the last 7-8 years, dependant on when it happens, we just haven't had enough money coming in.

25 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I want an animated emoticon - the one where a head is banging against a brick wall.

Just pretend there is one here

Be careful, if you bang your hard against that wall. It will just mean that the person that built the wall has out too many bricks in it, if you hurt yourself.

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

Whether it was deliberate or not, the fact is someone like him with his attitude who clearly didn't want to be at the club should have been nowhere near the first team.

The question then is why was he in the first team? Was it merely another cock up by Coyle who failed to recognise Duffy not being mentally fit to play? Or was it someone more senior insisting that Duffy feature for the first team to try and enhance his value?

Does it matter whose fault it was, when it is just because we haven't been good enough for the last 9 months? Sometimes the foolish actions of someone can make things seem a whole lot worse than they are. Barings bank was brought down once by the foolish action of one Mr Nick Leeson. It wasn't that the bank weren't good enough, it was one person being deliberately negligent that caused it. Some people will have a different opinion of course.

Agreed re the Duffy og s at Cardiff (and the sending off)- all deliberate.

With only three games left, it is in reality a shoot out between us and Forest for the third relegation slot. Both of clubs will be incredibly fortunate to see Brum, Burton or Bristol City do so badly to go down from where they are now. We needed not to have dropped points against those three in our head to heads for them to be in the mire. I am thinking particularly of letting in that 94th minute goal at Ashton Gate. 

Late goal at Ashton Gate handed Bristol 3 points. Late goal at Ewood v Burton lost us 2 points and gained them 1. Fiasco at Cardiff at the start of the season when they were there for the taking. Crucial points dropped in the dying minutes at home vs Fulham and Reading. And then the 2 dropped points at home vs PNE. Those were the real killers. A point at Bristol, 2 vs Burton, a draw at Cardiff and vs Fulham & Reading and hanging on for the win vs PNE = 8 more points - all through naivety and self destruction.

Just now, JHRover said:

Late goal at Ashton Gate handed Bristol 3 points. Late goal at Ewood v Burton lost us 2 points and gained them 1. Fiasco at Cardiff at the start of the season when they were there for the taking. Crucial points dropped in the dying minutes at home vs Fulham and Reading. And then the 2 dropped points at home vs PNE. Those were the real killers. A point at Bristol, 2 vs Burton, a draw at Cardiff and vs Fulham & Reading and hanging on for the win vs PNE = 8 more points - all through naivety and self destruction.

You're not wrong in the sense that all those things happened (there were others too - PNE away immediately springs to mind) - but I would imagine any club can look back over its previous 40 odd games and find similar ifs and buts. They are a fact of life for most teams, especially those near the bottom or top of leagues, and when you are in the mire each late goal's significance is enhanced. We've also scored one or two late goals as well as conceded them, so you can't just pick and choose which side of the coin to focus on. The bottom line is we haven't been good enough all season and in truth we deserve to go down.

13 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

You're not wrong in the sense that all those things happened (there were others too - PNE away immediately springs to mind) - but I would imagine any club can look back over its previous 40 odd games and find similar ifs and buts. They are a fact of life for most teams, especially those near the bottom or top of leagues, and when you are in the mire each late goal's significance is enhanced. We've also scored one or two late goals as well as conceded them, so you can't just pick and choose which side of the coin to focus on. The bottom line is we haven't been good enough all season and in truth we deserve to go down.

Fine margins as we all know, which is why it is very important that you have players who won't deliberately score own goals in your side.

33 minutes ago, philipl said:

Well we have got to 45 points and we are staying up..

NOT

We can get to my target of 51 points by winning the last two games but I doubt even that will save us now.

Of course it would, no way are birmingham getting to that.

Just now, roverandout said:

Why? Birmingham play bristol city last game who will be safe, they have huddersfield at home after tomorrow. 

That's what I mean. Huddersfield have lost to every other one of our relegation rivals, so it's a welcome fixture to have at home, while Bristol City will be in party mode and on the beers. Suspected the worse for a while now but the reality of it has hit home tonight.

Struggling to see how any sane person is predicting two wins on the bounce for us for a start.

Well we did say this could go to the last game, and its looking like that. We have to beat Villa, and hope Brum lose to Huddersfield. The fact that Huddersfield are still in playoff contention, but slipping out of it, might give them a wake up call. 

It's amazing to think that we could lose at Brentford by one goal, and go above Forest if Ipswich beat them by three goals. Just thought I'd throw that out there in case it happens so that I can quote myself at a later date. :D

• Backroom
On 2/26/2017 at 0:14 PM, Mercer said:

Can see a minimum of 18 points - 15 from home games and 3 from away games.  That would give us 48 points - more than enough. 

Honestly can't see why some fans are beating themselves up over whether we will escape.  We will and with some to spare.  This is a bang average league from top to bottom.  We have some decent players and we now have a decent manager.  Chill, relax and enjoy the football.

Whoops.

Did Mercer actually leave or has he been convinced to stay?

Archived