BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Watch out players about

chor808

Savage: I’d log on to football message boards under an alias

Former Derby midfielder Robbie Savage says insecurity over his own performances led to him logging on to club message boards using an alias and posting positive comments about himself.

Savage played over 100 games for Derby between 2008 and 2011 and says he would post comments after a poor performance.

“I was the most insecure person ever, to the point where when I signed for Derby and was having a shocker, you know those chat boards? I made up a name, went on them and used to say, ‘Robbie played well today, didn’t he.”

“Seriously, I was that insecure I used to phone newspaper reporters up if I got a six or a five in the paper and say, ‘What are you talking about, what game were you at? I was at least an eight or a nine!’

“I was so insecure as a person, I’d have the best game in the world and I’d still think, am I going to be playing next week? I’d phone four, five, six different people to say I played well,” he added.

This clip is from Flintoff, Savage and the Ping Pong Guy, first broadcast on Monday 27 February 2017.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04v7kmx

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, chor808 said:

Savage: I’d log on to football message boards under an alias

Former Derby midfielder Robbie Savage says insecurity over his own performances led to him logging on to club message boards using an alias and posting positive comments about himself.

Savage played over 100 games for Derby between 2008 and 2011 and says he would post comments after a poor performance.

“I was the most insecure person ever, to the point where when I signed for Derby and was having a shocker, you know those chat boards? I made up a name, went on them and used to say, ‘Robbie played well today, didn’t he.”

“Seriously, I was that insecure I used to phone newspaper reporters up if I got a six or a five in the paper and say, ‘What are you talking about, what game were you at? I was at least an eight or a nine!’

“I was so insecure as a person, I’d have the best game in the world and I’d still think, am I going to be playing next week? I’d phone four, five, six different people to say I played well,” he added.

This clip is from Flintoff, Savage and the Ping Pong Guy, first broadcast on Monday 27 February 2017.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04v7kmx

That is hilarious.

Players have a lot of free time on their hands. I wouldn't imagine he isn't alone in doing it. 

The thing is football skills wise Jason Lowe is probably as talented, or un-talented depending which way you look at it, as Robbie Savage was. Having said that he's nowhere near as effective as Savage was for us. Maybe he should get on the phone to Robbie. He needs a few coaching sessions on what makes an good midfield " destroyer ".

Sav was head and shoulders above Jason the guy could play a bit but he was just better at the mucky stuff. Usually surrounded by good players to be fair a luxury Lowe has never had neither has he had a decent gaffer yet to work under. 4 or 5 years under the right guy used the right way and he'd be a better player imo.

He certainly could have made a good Championship version of Savage.

Doubt he bothers posting on here though he'd give his posts away too often B)   I'd wager someone like Dunn has though and we did have Jake Kean once or certainly someone close to him.

11 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The thing is football skills wise Jason Lowe is probably as talented, or un-talented depending which way you look at it, as Robbie Savage was. Having said that he's nowhere near as effective as Savage was for us. Maybe he should get on the phone to Robbie. He needs a few coaching sessions on what makes an good midfield " destroyer ".

Maybe my memory is failing but I'm pretty sure Robbie put a tackle in, and at least made a real nuisance of himself.

Savage by name... 

57 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Hi Jason, welcome to the message board.

It wouldn't surprise me if theres lots of staff looking at this website - if not posting. Balaji's bodyguard was here, which leads me to think there are others. Didn't Dunny once say he was aware of the message board?

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Have to disagree with this. Savage was technically decent, could strike a ball well, superb at closing down, and excellent fitness.

Not a great visionary, but scored a few goals and was brilliant at what he did. Every inch a premier league player.

Lowe will never be half as good on any metric. 

Just now, joey_big_nose said:

Have to disagree with this. Savage was technically decent, could strike a ball well, superb at closing down, and excellent fitness.

Not a great visionary, but scored a few goals and was brilliant at what he did. Every inch a premier league player.

Sure Robbie whatever..

You've got a much higher opinion of Savage than I have.

• Backroom

He was a quality player who was a huge part of our success under Hughes.

It was Savage's grunt work (though he was an able footballer himself) was what got an extra few years of prime footy out of Tugay!

On ‎28‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 10:10 AM, tomphil said:

Sav was head and shoulders above Jason the guy could play a bit but he was just better at the mucky stuff. Usually surrounded by good players to be fair a luxury Lowe has never had neither has he had a decent gaffer yet to work under. 4 or 5 years under the right guy used the right way and he'd be a better player imo.

He certainly could have made a good Championship version of Savage.

Doubt he bothers posting on here though he'd give his posts away too often B)   I'd wager someone like Dunn has though and we did have Jake Kean once or certainly someone close to him.

Looks like Chris Brown used to !!!

5 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Somebody once described him as being like - "  A dog chasing a crisp packet on a windy day in a car park, only the dog would be quicker ".

What would Keith Andrews have been ? A curly poodle, lay on his back with an erection pointing the way?

There was a poster a while back who if he wasn't Keith Andrews was almost certainly related to him. Would defend Andrews to the  hilt and would not accept any criticism of him. Can't remember his board name perhaps someone else can 

• Backroom
Just now, jim mk2 said:

There was a poster a while back who if he wasn't Keith Andrews was almost certainly related to him. Would defend Andrews to the  hilt and would not accept any criticism of him. Can't remember his board name perhaps someone else can 

Jonnolad or something very similar?

• Backroom
23 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Jonnolad or something very similar?

Yep. Last post was in July 2012, Andrews officially left us in January 2012 I believe. Spent his last six months on the board mostly defending Keef's past contributions. :unsure:

Archived