BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Wigan at home

4 hours ago, rigger said:

But that still does not make it a Must win game, obviously it would be good to win it, but a draw would still keep us above Wigan. I think a more important game to win would be against Bristol City.

There all must win games until we are mathematically safe

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Oldgregg86 said:

There all must win games until we are mathematically safe

What is your definition of a must win game? Mine would be, a game that if we didn't win we would be mathematically relegated. All other games, in my opinion , are good to win. Games against other relegation candidates are important to win. 

Just now, rigger said:

What is your definition of a must win game? Mine would be, a game that if we didn't win we would be mathematically relegated. All other games, in my opinion , are good to win. Games against other relegation candidates are important to win. 

This stage of the season and predicament where in every game until we are safe starting last week at Burton. Be good to win and before you know it your relying on other teams and your gone. 

3 hours ago, roverstdt said:

Emnes is one of the players I would like us to sign at the end of the season once his contract is up. I am assuming the hold up with Mahoney is that he won't sign a new deal until 1) We confirm what league we will be in 2) if he starts more games. To be honest I am quite liking the squad we have now  with the arrival of a few young academy players. I just don't see the point in having Lucas Joao, and Hendrie.

Think we need to be realistic with Emnes.  Rovers were his only option back in Jan. as Swansea didn't want him and he couldn't play for another club this season under the three club rule.  He's therefore put himself in the shop window.  Let's be honest, I think his wage demands will be way, way above the 'new' Rovers' structure.

As for Mahoney, if he's wise, he'll sit and wait and see how the landscape changes over the next few months.  The lad's holding all the cards and it's up to him how he plays them.  As yet, I don't think Rovers have done him any favours and that isn't going to help us.

1 hour ago, Blow-in said:

Its also worth mentioning that he played that game with virus in his shoulder and couldn't actually move it. If you watch it hangs down swings around completely useless. I would be of the opinion that, that is probably the best single performance I have ever witnessed in a game, even better then Roy Keane getting Utd. through the semi finals of the Champions League against Juventus. Paul was a freak in the way he could get away without training, he was a natural athlete in a way I doubt comes around often.

His Book is the best sports autobiography I have read (although for an enjoyable read you can't beat Pirlo's which is both witty and light) and is far superior to the much vaunted Tony Adams book. To say its sad is an understatement I am not ashamed to admit I cried reading some of it. People are quick to slam alcoholics but when you read about his childhood you can certainly see some of the mitigating circumstances. 

Andy Morrison's book is amazing.

2 hours ago, neophox said:

WIgans manager has just done an operation and will probably just watching the game...dont know how this will affect the wigan team?

Friends who are Wigan fans tell me that Joyce is steadily turning things around and he'll be a big miss tomorrow if absent.

Lady luck is now beginning to deliver for Rovers as evidenced by the woodwork rescuing us twice in the latter minutes of the Burton and Derby matches and now the likely absence of Joyce.

If you want to make some easy money, lump on a Rovers' win tomorrow at 7/5.  Case of reds has arrived following win over Derby and I look forward to ordering a case of fine whites when we've stuffed Wigan tomorrow.

Just now, Mercerman said:

Friends who are Wigan fans tell me that Joyce is steadily turning things around and he'll be a big miss tomorrow if absent.

Lady luck is now beginning to deliver for Rovers as evidenced by the woodwork rescuing us twice in the latter minutes of the Burton and Derby matches and now the likely absence of Joyce.

If you want to make some easy money, lump on a Rovers' win tomorrow at 7/5.  Case of reds has arrived following win over Derby and I look forward to ordering a case of fine whites when we've stuffed Wigan tomorrow.

Hopefully you will get some Róse after Cardiff as well. Full cellar! 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Hopefully you will get some Róse after Cardiff as well. Full cellar! 

Good point.

Do have a plan b in case we go tits up against Warnock's lot, I'll just blend some of the red and white !

On 3/2/2017 at 0:20 AM, AggyBlue said:

A 'must not lose' game.

We owe them a few renditions of 'Going down going down' so I'm hoping we are a couple up for the last ten minutes. 

I remember that game well, the day I stopped liking Wigan lol.

They proper rubbed it in our faces inside and outside the ground. I hope we stuff em tomorrow!

2 hours ago, rigger said:

Better to get points in the bag. Don't want to get to stage of having to win to stay up. Winning home games against teams at the bottom are critical and should be targetted as must win games. Any points picked up against the top teams away from home are a bonus.

Stop sounding like Boywer - he would be happy with a point when three were begging.

Big Sam would target set matches which were must win games all season. Home games against teams around the bottom of the table were prime examples.

The old saying win your home games don't lose your away

If you don't beat the bottom teams at home you don't deserve to stay up.

In almost every context its a must win game even though failure to do so does not mathematically relegate us I grant you so you are right.

39 minutes ago, Mercerman said:

Really? A couple of Wiganers I work with think he's well out of his depth.

Their forums say the same thing.

1 hour ago, Mercerman said:

Think we need to be realistic with Emnes.  Rovers were his only option back in Jan. as Swansea didn't want him and he couldn't play for another club this season under the three club rule.  He's therefore put himself in the shop window.  Let's be honest, I think his wage demands will be way, way above the 'new' Rovers' structure.

As for Mahoney, if he's wise, he'll sit and wait and see how the landscape changes over the next few months.  The lad's holding all the cards and it's up to him how he plays them.  As yet, I don't think Rovers have done him any favours and that isn't going to help us.

The three club rule did not stop Jack Byrne going to Wigan

2 hours ago, Mercerman said:

Gallagher and 2-1 scorecast @ 40/1 is tomorrow's bet.

6 hours ago, rigger said:

Six pointers.

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Didnt play for Man City. 

Emnes played for Swansea in the league cup in August

I doubt that as he played for us in it at Leeds he played for swansea u23 this season and that does not count

11 minutes ago, booth said:

Six pointers.

Well after Cardiff on Tuesday we have 11 games left of which only 4 are at home. 4 of the next 5 after that are away to what you would say are tougher teams.

I would say tomorrow is a must win -we cant keep letting these winnable games come and go. There aren't many teams below us and at this stage if we cant win at home against one that is then we probably deserve to go down.

1 hour ago, TBTF said:

Well after Cardiff on Tuesday we have 11 games left of which only 4 are at home. 4 of the next 5 after that are away to what you would say are tougher teams.

I would say tomorrow is a must win -we cant keep letting these winnable games come and go. There aren't many teams below us and at this stage if we cant win at home against one that is then we probably deserve to go down.

Spot on. We have the chance of moving up to 19th and out of the bottom three. We can also put five points between ourselves and Wigan. We have got to be targeting three points. 

Just now, Claytons Left Boot said:

Spot on. We have the chance of moving up to 19th and out of the bottom three. We can also put five points between ourselves and Wigan. We have got to be targeting three points. 

5 points with a game in hand as well, CLB. If we win tomorrow and Tuesday we shouldn't then need to worry about Wigan and Rotherham any more. It would however be a remarkable turn to go and win 3 on the bounce in a week. 

Of the 2 , tomorrow is the must win

Nice to see a match thread with 7 pages pre kick off!  Hopefully the Mowbray bounce continues.  Can we keep a second clean sheet?  3 -1 Rovers

Team 

My Gran

Nyambe   Hoban Lennihan  Williams

Lowe    Mulgrew

Feeney              Bennet          Mahoney

Graham  

Call me sentimental but can we please have a left footer wide left and right footer wide right.  Then get to the bleeding by line!

Looking forward to the game for the first time in a while. COYB

Archived