BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Wigan at home

Just now, davulsukur said:

Mowbray said in his interview that he felt both Feeney and Conway were starting to tire, due to the amount of work they have put in over the last few games.

It appears the lack of fitness and work rate under Coyle is coming to the fore once again. 

Now that is a smart manager. Praising the players whilst making the point that they need to get fitter.

Liking TM - even relegation now wouldn't put me off him. 

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Mowbray said in his interview that he felt both Feeney and Conway were starting to tire, due to the amount of work they have put in over the last few games.

It appears the lack of fitness and work rate under Coyle is coming to the fore once again. 

Cheers mate didn't see the interview. Thought he played well for 50 odd minutes he was on the pitch. Hopefully the lads will be refreshed for Tuesday as it's another massive game.

What a transformation in just over a week, players wanting the ball, etc.

I couldn't fault ANY player yesterday, compare that to many of the other games this season where several players have made mistakes and gone missing in games.

The feeling in the stands has changed from this is going to be a @#/? afternoon and why are we bothering to having a bit more optimism that we can actually win this game..

Long may this last.

Just now, Jammy said:

What a transformation in just over a week, players wanting the ball, etc.

I couldn't fault ANY player yesterday, compare that to many of the other games this season where several players have made mistakes and gone missing in games.

The feeling in the stands has changed from this is going to be a @#/? afternoon and why are we bothering to having a bit more optimism that we can actually win this game..

Long may this last.

I'm actually looking forward to games a bit more now. Previously I used to look forward to the international breaks.

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I'm actually looking forward to games a bit more now. Previously I used to look forward to the international breaks.

I'm the same, it's a massive rush to finish work and get to Ewood for a 7.45 KO and it was 'hard work' under Coyle. 

I'm actually looking forward to Tuesday. Players playing for the colours makes a huge difference.

Guthrie's reappearance in midfield has coincided with the upturn in form. Coincidence or is it the fact the lad knows what his doing. For those who are going to say it's coincided with Mowbray appearing, he played well against Man Ure as well.

It's a shame he can only play 60 minutes before tiring but I suggest he is as critical for this team as Mulgrew.

Just now, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Guthrie's reappearance in midfield has coincided with the upturn in form. Coincidence or is it the fact the lad knows what his doing. For those who are going to say it's coincided with Mowbray appearing, he played well against Man Ure as well.

It's a shame he can only play 60 minutes before tiring but I suggest he is as critical for this team as Mulgrew.

Agreed. Huge fan of Guthrie.

18 minutes ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Wasn't it Coyle who told Guthrie to find a new club as he had no future at Rovers?

One thing I noticed was the hunger from the players, there is definitely improvements needed to be made and technical abilities need to improve, however you can't knock the hunger the players showed and you could see they wanted the win. Sprinting down the pitch at the end of the first half to try and create something before the end of the half surely has to show that there is a change in attitude.

I think rovers fans are just delighted that TM is straight up says it how it is and doesn't beat round the bush, Six years of listening to sh%te n Coyle was full of it, I think theirs just a relief that someone is telling it how it is.

Just now, Stuart said:

Wasn't it Coyle who told Guthrie to find a new club as he had no future at Rovers?

Further evidence that he knew a footballer.

My one concern is his lack of fitness especially around the hour mark. It is the same with Evans. I suspect this is the main reason why the team starts playing deeper and deeper as our midfield just can't cover the ground.

Emnes had to be injured because Mowbray must be well aware of this issue as he took Guthrie off on Tuesday and is a concern with Tuesday in mind.

I'm worried that the fitness concern may allow Akpan back in to the team on Tuesday.

Just now, dingles staying down 4ever said:

My one concern is his lack of fitness especially around the hour mark. It is the same with Evans. I suspect this is the main reason why the team starts playing deeper and deeper as our midfield just can't cover the ground.

Emnes had to be injured because Mowbray must be well aware of this issue as he took Guthrie off on Tuesday and is a concern with Tuesday in mind.

I'm worried that the fitness concern may allow Akpan back in to the team on Tuesday.

To be fair since the Rotherham game they've played 2 games a week so it's been a long 3-4 weeks we've had a few out and we don't have a huge strength in depth, we've another game Tuesday so he has to make changes and use the squad where he can, if we're going to survive everyone has to step up and he has to give everyone the opertunity to do so. He would nieve to think players are capable to play to the best of there ability if there playing 90 mins twice a week.

1 minute ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

I watched with interest the exchange between Emnes and Mowbray. Emnes certainly didn't think he was injured. I'm going to put it down to the experience of Mowbray in preempting a later problem. Possibly after Emnes nearly did the splits not long before his goal.

I know but I seriously don't rate Akpan. The game passes him by for large chunks.

The annoying thing is he shows in very small bursts in a game he has the ability to be a very good player. It's just the other 87.5 minutes of the game that concerns me.

Fitness will take time to build I know but fear Tuesday maybe a game too far.

This was why beating Wigan yesterday was a must.

Just now, Stuart said:

I watched with interest the exchange between Emnes and Mowbray. Emnes certainly didn't think he was injured. I'm going to put it down to the experience of Mowbray in preempting a later problem. Possibly after Emnes nearly did the splits not long before his goal.

I watch the bench quite a bit and the substitution looked quite rushed. Bennett seemed to rush getting stripped which I thought suggested an injury but I agree Emnes did not look happy to be taken off.

5 hours ago, Ricky said:

Thought Feeney gave their full back a lot to think about purely down to his directness and pace. Did the simple things well and got the ball into the box quickly. However I'm also very keen to see Mahoney given a run of games. He's not going to stay if he's not playing that's for sure.

From one highlight of Liam Feeney's attacking display it showed him putting the ball into the box along the floor once more... great stuff !  Long may this continue with the strikers Rovers currently have at their disposal.

One thing I noticed too was the midfielders were trying to get involved more, there was a less route one to the strikers approach. Between Graham, Gallagher and Emnes we have good attacking options but Coyle couldn't figure out how to get the midfield involved, you could actually see the defence think twice before hoofing it and the midfielders were making space to take the ball on the ground and try and distribute it. There was evidence of a bit more confidence and a will to try and create. We did get caught a couple of times with lose balls in the middle creating a counter but if we can avoid those mistakes there's definitely inprovement made

Just now, klc_2012 said:

Question about the pitch. On tv it looked seriously wet and like a it had been cut by a Child with safety scissors... Weather related? Tv making it look worse than it was? Or is it just that bad?

Weather has been very wet for last two weeks here including snow. Looked good for Man Utd though the pitch. 

29 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Emnes said in the interview after theach match that he felt his hamstring tighten, told the bench and then said he felt ok to continue and wanted to stay on,so was a bit surprised when he seen his number come up and when he came off asked Mowbray why and Mowbray explained he didn't want to take any chances that it could lead to a more serious injury

Just now, islander200 said:

Emnes said in the interview after theach match that he felt his hamstring tighten, told the bench and then said he felt ok to continue and wanted to stay on,so was a bit surprised when he seen his number come up and when he came off asked Mowbray why and Mowbray explained he didn't want to take any chances that it could lead to a more serious injury

Too be honest, it was pretty obvious he was being brought off for that reason, no manager would normally leave himself without a sub for the last 30.

• Backroom

Managers are paid to make those types of decisions. Under Coyle, chances are Emnes stays on and then isn't available to play in the next match.

Was absolutely stunned when Wigan changed their minds on a substitution based on crowd reaction. That's a manager with no control. You could tell by the players' reactions at the end that they have no hope left.

Archived