speeeeeeedie

Premier League Stuff

Huddersfield and Newcastle leading early.

Cmon Southampton... cmon Leicester...

EDIT: Southampton lead. The stars aligning early doors to sink the Dingles.

Edited by CD_93

Charlie Charlie Charlie indeed (wait till you see the interview).

Man, that was Championship standard officiating.

Can't help looking at Vichai's son at Leicester and wondering if he will be bad mouthing his Dad in 2 months.

Oh wait that was somebody elses son. Vichai's is clearly a decent human being.

Edited by Vinjay17

Has Aguero dyed his hair grey so nobody marks the granddad?

2-0 to City; conceivably both goals down to De Gea's chocolate hands.

Almost every match has essentially been a friendly for City this season, home or away, including yesterday's. 12 games, 10 wins, 2 draws, 0 losses. 36 scored, 5 conceded, GD +31. Yawn. As soon as Liverpool start dropping points the title race is effectively over again. As far as City and their spending was concerned this was ultimately always going to be where we ended up, but a loss of competitiveness in a league is never a good thing long term.

That said, has the Bundesliga suffered at all from Bayern dominating it for the past six seasons? Obviously they're off the pace this season but I'd be interested to know if their dominance in the past few years has had an effect on viewing figures or attendences. Football is obviously more affordable in Germany anyway, but I can't imagine the same team winning a league every season can be a positive thing in the long run. 

Part of the problem with the PL is the lower teams are so bad you feel like they could drop into the Championship and not look out of place at all. That doesn't say much for a supposedly elite league.

9 minutes ago, DE. said:

Almost every match has essentially been a friendly for City this season, home or away, including yesterday's. 12 games, 10 wins, 2 draws, 0 losses. 36 scored, 5 conceded, GD +31. Yawn. As soon as Liverpool start dropping points the title race is effectively over again. As far as City and their spending was concerned this was ultimately always going to be where we ended up, but a loss of competitiveness in a league is never a good thing long term.

That said, has the Bundesliga suffered at all from Bayern dominating it for the past six seasons? Obviously they're off the pace this season but I'd be interested to know if their dominance in the past few years has had an effect on viewing figures or attendences. Football is obviously more affordable in Germany anyway, but I can't imagine the same team winning a league every season can be a positive thing in the long run. 

Part of the problem with the PL is the lower teams are so bad you feel like they could drop into the Championship and not look out of place at all. That doesn't say much for a supposedly elite league.

I suppose the one positive is that despite all that money sloshing around the likes of Huddersfield and even the more established ones like Dingles and Southampton, aren't really that far ahead.

The concern previously was because of the vast sums they were getting in comparison to Championship clubs it would eventually become a closed shop, but that doesn't seem to be happening.

We've only to look at the 3 relegated clubs - all were established in the Prem for 10 years or almost that in Swansea's case, they've come down and are any impressing? Stoke have been in the bottom half all season and seem to be improving but haven't broken any pots, Swansea are floating around near us in mid-table, perhaps have a chance of the play-offs if they're lucky, WBA doing the best but again are only on course for a play-off position.

The likes of Sheff Utd, Leeds and Norwich are performing well despite none really spending much money, and only Norwich have been in the Prem recently.

19 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I suppose the one positive is that despite all that money sloshing around the likes of Huddersfield and even the more established ones like Dingles and Southampton, aren't really that far ahead.

The concern previously was because of the vast sums they were getting in comparison to Championship clubs it would eventually become a closed shop, but that doesn't seem to be happening.

We've only to look at the 3 relegated clubs - all were established in the Prem for 10 years or almost that in Swansea's case, they've come down and are any impressing? Stoke have been in the bottom half all season and seem to be improving but haven't broken any pots, Swansea are floating around near us in mid-table, perhaps have a chance of the play-offs if they're lucky, WBA doing the best but again are only on course for a play-off position.

The likes of Sheff Utd, Leeds and Norwich are performing well despite none really spending much money, and only Norwich have been in the Prem recently.

Yeah, I was certainly concerned that the big influx of money would lead to a less competitive Championship as relegated teams became too powerful, but the reality is that it's just led to average players brought in for vastly inflated prices. I don't think the actual quality of players in the PL has gone up amongst the lesser teams despite the injection of extra TV money - but transfer fees, agents fees and player wages have certainly gone up. 

If anything League 1 has suffered from the slight improvement of quality in Championship teams over the last few years. Last season us and Wigan tore that league apart without even playing particularly well. Sunderland have only lost one match so far this season whilst Barnsley are right in the mix as well. Burton weren't really in the Championship long enough to benefit so they're more or less back at the correct level. 

Hopefully the big boys do bugger off with all their money to the Euro Super League.

Bottom half PL and top half Champ as the top domestic club competition would be fantastic.

21 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

Hopefully the big boys do bugger off with all their money to the Euro Super League.

Bottom half PL and top half Champ as the top domestic club competition would be fantastic.

Yeah but I think it would erode the prestige, history and tradition of English football. The rest of us would be left with a division where the likes of Leicester, Everton and Wolves were the big boys and favourites to win the league every year. It might result in a wider spread of clubs competing to win the league but the standard would be massively inferior. Presumably there would be no European slots up for grabs either..

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Yeah but I think it would erode the prestige, history and tradition of English football. The rest of us would be left with a division where the likes of Leicester, Everton and Wolves were the big boys and favourites to win the league every year. It might result in a wider spread of clubs competing to win the league but the standard would be massively inferior. Presumably there would be no European slots up for grabs either..

No more than it would Spanish, German and Italian. You take away their big clubs and you are really scraping the barrel, save the German league maybe.

The lower table Spanish and Italian clubs are boring. The league tables can be predicted 10 years in advance really

25 minutes ago, JHRover said:

The standard of the Premier League is massively overrated. Yes 3 or 4 teams are fantastic, but if anyone watched the Cardiff Brighton game, or any other mid-lower table clash lately you'll see it is absolutely bobbins.

Teams so fixated on grinding out wins and terrified of losing for fear of falling off the gravy train. It's yawn inducing and I would much rather have a league where the majority of teams had something tangible to play for.

Utd, City, Chelsea etc are operating on a different planet, in a different sport than the rest of us. The history and tradition for these teams has already gone, they're just tourist traps and advertising vehicles. Let them be focused on being global brands and give us a proper English league. Good riddance to the greedy gets!

Maybe even the likes of Newcastle could win something for the first time ever!

Doubt it will happen anyway, tbh.

Edited by S8 & Blue

18 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

Doubt it will happen anyway, tbh.

I don't think it will ever happen to be honest.

I think it's more likely something will be created to replace the Champions League as opposed to taking clubs out of their domestic leagues. Logistically I just don't see how a European Super League would work. It's theoretically possible but there would be a lot of obstacles to overcome, and it's a high risk to take for clubs who are already regularly successful and mostly wealthy in their domenstic leagues. 

48 minutes ago, DE. said:

I think it's more likely something will be created to replace the Champions League as opposed to taking clubs out of their domestic leagues. Logistically I just don't see how a European Super League would work. It's theoretically possible but there would be a lot of obstacles to overcome, and it's a high risk to take for clubs who are already regularly successful and mostly wealthy in their domenstic leagues. 

Munich did a viability study and one of the things that came back was that players wouldn't go for it as it would rule them out of playing international football. 

Can't see that version happening, but the big clubs just want to get bigger at the expense of everyone else. Fans don't care once their club is doing well. 

I was reading some of the wiki leaks football stuff. FIFA caught Man City and PSG for irregularities around sponsorship. Basically the owners were using their own companies "to sponsor" the clubs. Even though said sponsorship didn't involve the name of the company being put anywhere. Citys owner was in for 200 million. 

Anyway, FIFA approached them on this and city said that they disagree. They said they will get 50 of the world's best lawyers to fight it. They said they are prepared to fight it for 10,20 years or whatever. Unsurprisingly FIFA dropped it and let them cut a soft deal. That's how the super clubs operate. They are prepared to drag the authorities into a legal war of attrition and they have the money to wear them down. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Reflecting on the weekend results of two newly promoted sides.

Wolves spent £100m and reasonable bets for a top half finish and outside chance of Europa Cup qualification.

Fulham spent £100m arguably to get a weaker squad than they came up with and only an outside chance of avoiding an immediate drop back. 

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Munich did a viability study and one of the things that came back was that players wouldn't go for it as it would rule them out of playing international football. 

Can't see that version happening, but the big clubs just want to get bigger at the expense of everyone else. Fans don't care once their club is doing well. 

I was reading some of the wiki leaks football stuff. FIFA caught Man City and PSG for irregularities around sponsorship. Basically the owners were using their own companies "to sponsor" the clubs. Even though said sponsorship didn't involve the name of the company being put anywhere. Citys owner was in for 200 million. 

Anyway, FIFA approached them on this and city said that they disagree. They said they will get 50 of the world's best lawyers to fight it. They said they are prepared to fight it for 10,20 years or whatever. Unsurprisingly FIFA dropped it and let them cut a soft deal. That's how the super clubs operate. They are prepared to drag the authorities into a legal war of attrition and they have the money to wear them down. 

All the stuff about Man City was blatantly obvious years ago. I don't see why it takes some disclosures in a newspaper for people to realise what has been going on.

All this stuff with Etihad sponsoring their kit and stadium. Etihad which just so happens to be owned by the brother of City's owner.

Loads of clubs are at it, including in the Championship.

How come Sheffield Wednesday are allowed to be 'sponsored' by their owner? Not a company owned by their owner, just their owner's name. You can't buy anything from him, it isn't a company, just his name.

Like us having 'Desai' or 'Rao' printed in big letters on our home shirts and taking him a massive paycheque for doing it. Clearly shouldn't be allowed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

All the stuff about Man City was blatantly obvious years ago. I don't see why it takes some disclosures in a newspaper for people to realise what has been going on.

All this stuff with Etihad sponsoring their kit and stadium. Etihad which just so happens to be owned by the brother of City's owner.

Loads of clubs are at it, including in the Championship.

How come Sheffield Wednesday are allowed to be 'sponsored' by their owner? Not a company owned by their owner, just their owner's name. You can't buy anything from him, it isn't a company, just his name.

Like us having 'Desai' or 'Rao' printed in big letters on our home shirts and taking him a massive paycheque for doing it. Clearly shouldn't be allowed.

Not only that re: Wednesday - but they've done a similar thing as City.

"Elev8 Sports Drink" and "D-Line Taxis" aren't real companies or products, but just fake fronts for Chansiri to "buy more sponsorship". You'll see those names plastered all over the house of cards that is Hillsborough.

Edited by S8 & Blue
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

What does this comment mean?

4 hours ago, old darwen blue said:

What does this comment mean?

They paid a company and lawyers to do a study to ascertain if it would be legally possible to break away from the Bundesliga 

• Like 1

It is grotesque, but then these people live in a completely different reality to the rest of us. This is an industry that treats £100k+ per week contracts as normal, hundreds of millions of pounds fees to agents as normal, and multi-million pounds payouts to managers who completely fail at their job as normal. Oh, and despite all of these 'normal' excesses it's almost perfectly normal for clubs to be hopelessly in debt despite ever increasing TV deals. 

Everything about football at the higher levels is distorted to obscene levels. If anything I'm surprised they're only asking for £5m. 

• Like 1