speeeeeeedie

Premier League Stuff

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

A sensible decision by Brighton it looked like Hughton had taken them as far as he could. Negative football, void of any ideas other than defending deep and try to nick a set piece goal. Spent £140 Million over the last 2 seasons with a lot of that being on attacking players yet they are still reliant on an aging Murray. I wish that our owners were this proactive. 

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Hughton sacked in 2010 and 2014 by Newcastle and Norwich after similar spells in which he revived poorly performing clubs but was unable to sustain it in the Premier League.  There's a pattern here. Wouldn't mind seeing him at Rovers but he will be snapped up long before Mowbray gets the bullet at Ewood next season. Congrats to the Brighton chairman for making a tough  decision that had to be made for the good of the club.  I wish we had similar hard headed management at Ewood. 

Now now boys , a bit early to be saying they have made the correct decision just yet. 

I can see Hughton ending up at Boro or QPR 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

If they wanted to progress they should have backed Hughton properly. What it comes down to is that he probably just isn't a big enough name for them anymore, now that they think they are an established Premier league club(in their own minds). I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them go down the Ipswich route next season. 

They've spent quite heavily. Certainly more than some. Sounds like Hughton hasn't really used or got the most out of some of those signed. They've brought in Dan Ashworth to be Technical Director who has done good things at WBA and the FA recently so presumably he's part of this decision.

I've no time for them but ultimately whatever they've done has worked out so I don't expect removing Hughton will be a disaster.

Now now boys , a bit early to be saying they have made the correct decision just yet. 

I can see Hughton ending up at Boro or QPR 

QPR have just appointed Warburton so will give him time.

If Gibson has any sense at Middlesbrough he'll be on the phone to Hughton tomorrow asking if he wants their job and if so will get rid of the unpopular Pulis.

Just now, JHRover said:

QPR have just appointed Warburton so will give him time.

If Gibson has any sense at Middlesbrough he'll be on the phone to Hughton tomorrow asking if he wants their job and if so will get rid of the unpopular Pulis.

I missed that appointment

Ya, for sure, I think he would be a great fit for them 

Not sure about the Hughton sacking. Seems a bit harsh to me. They stayed up, although 35 points is a pretty low points total needed to survive. Let's see who they bring in, I guess. Could be a masterstroke, could be a disaster. 

Brighton nipping things in the bud before they stagnate and get worse (like what happened to us under Groundhog Gaz - when I look back at the squad we had during that first (and 2nd) season in the Championship I'm still shocked how bad we were - we should have panned him way earlier).

Only time will tell if it's a good move (as always), but better now than part way into the new season - with the new manager trying to sort out the old manager's team.

Just now, Husky said:

Brighton nipping things in the bud before they stagnate and get worse (like what happened to us under Groundhog Gaz - when I look back at the squad we had during that first (and 2nd) season in the Championship I'm still shocked how bad we were - we should have panned him way earlier).

Only time will tell if it's a good move (as always), but better now than part way into the new season - with the new manager trying to sort out the old manager's team.

Think you're rewriting history a bit there! Gaz took over from Crappleton  in our 1st season for the last few games and guided us away from an almost certain  relegation under that prat😀😀😀

It was quite clear something changed in the summer of 2015. Rumours on the grapevine of Bowyer being under threat and he wasnt invited to India. Then rumours soon into the season of him being at risk before the axe finally fell in November. Like with Kean and Coyle it was always going to happen but too late.

6 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

If they wanted to progress they should have backed Hughton properly. What it comes down to is that he probably just isn't a big enough name for them anymore, now that they think they are an established Premier league club(in their own minds). I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them go down the Ipswich route next season. 

I thought they would be battling with Burnley for the 3rd relegation spot , Fulham was the team I thought that would be ok !!

If I was the chairman I would be approaching Sam Allardyce ,cos they are going to struggle next season . Especially if Villa go up, I can see only Sheffield United as definite relegation material ...

Bournemouth could be a good outside bet for the drop next season ...

2 hours ago, Waggy76 said:

If I was the chairman I would be approaching Sam Allardyce ,cos they are going to struggle next season .

But BFS teams don't play like Barca.

Southampton to be sponsored by ‘LD Sports’ next season, a company that doesn’t even exist according to Nick Harris.

A Sheff Wed style ruse to get around FFP?

4 hours ago, JHRover said:

It was quite clear something changed in the summer of 2015. Rumours on the grapevine of Bowyer being under threat and he wasnt invited to India. Then rumours soon into the season of him being at risk before the axe finally fell in November. Like with Kean and Coyle it was always going to happen but too late.

Another back stabbing job gone on there allegedly, I wanted change but was appalled at they way it ended for him after all he'd done. I always felt he should have got at least a bit of money to re-invest after all he'd helped bring in but that's the thing the hidden shadows probably thought there'd be another bit of spending  when we exited FFP and wanted one of theirs in prime position again.

And it did seem a surprisingly rapid appointment of Lambert and Irvine (who he had never worked with before).

They bring that sort of stuff up every 6 months or so but we all know they won't do it. Another hefty fine to fund the annual bonuses at UEFA and carry on.

Graham Potter off to Brighton. Hardly the most inspiring of appointments. a guy with no Premier league experience and one mediocre Championship season. 

9 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Graham Potter off to Brighton. Hardly the most inspiring of appointments. a guy with no Premier league experience and one mediocre Championship season. 

This will be quite baffling if it goes through. Not to say it'll be a failure - who knows? - but what has Potter done to show he's capable of improving on Hughton's work? 

Edited by DE.

Edited by rigger

Screenshot_20190515_171723.thumb.jpg.5b83c0fccefc1ef43ee82c993ae57c9d.jpg

The BBC really are going out of their way to try and eulogise this season's Liverpool team. You can tell they're gutted that City ended up winning the league. Arsenal's 03/04 team won the league, that's all that matters and all the history books will ultimately record. 

6 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Risky to say the least. He's not done much at Swansea, not sure how he's landed a Premier League job.

Who ever decided to pull the trigger on Hughton could be made to look very silly here.

Of course, it could spectacularly well! 🤣

On 14/05/2019 at 12:48, benhben said:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11679/11719556/manchester-city-could-be-facing-a-ban-from-the-champions-league

Cant see this happening. UEFA will want Guardiola and Co in the competition. 

I can't see it either but I can see the likes of Real Madrid , Barcelona , Liverpool , Man Utd and a few other large historical European clubs , who will be rubbing their hands in glee !!!

Just now, davulsukur said:

Risky to say the least. He's not done much at Swansea, not sure how he's landed a Premier League job.

Who ever decided to pull the trigger on Hughton could be made to look very silly here.

Of course, it could spectacularly well! 🤣

It could do  but highly unlikely !

They gone on about we lost the season by 11mm.

The old what if.

What if all the offside goals you scored where actually offside, what if mahrez smashed that penalty at anfield in the net, what if those two flappy keepers had held the ball, what if Salah wasn't a diving cheat winning penalties every other week.

Or how about this what if, when you where 7 points clear at Xmas going to the etihad you did what champions do and not let city catch you.

Talk of klopp being manager of the season. Pep got back on top and put a 14 game winning run together to do exactly what Liverpool failed to do and stay at the top as well as winning the charity shield, league cup and probably fa cup. He beat klopp to the league and they think klopp is manager of the season. Do me a favour. 

They had a good season and kept it entertaining but ultimately didn't do enough as harsh as that is. Now drown your sorrows say well done to city and try again next year

Edited by Oldgregg86

And if Spuds win in Madrid then Liverpool will have won sweet FA this season. 

A funny team are Tottenham a good example of something that is greater than the sum of its parts. 

Edited by old darwen blue