speeeeeeedie

Premier League Stuff

The only issue Liverpool will have is that their squad is not that big. They are one or two injuries away from finding it seriously difficult to beat decent sides and the CL schedule will test the depths of their squad (their group situation is already one that will mean that they won't be able to rest players until the final group game at best). 

It is definitely theirs to lose now, but I think it is far too early to assume that they will just put up 95+ points again. Still have to play City twice, still have plenty of games against other tough opponents, and still have to manage their squad size.  

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

The only issue Liverpool will have is that their squad is not that big. They are one or two injuries away from finding it seriously difficult to beat decent sides and the CL schedule will test the depths of their squad (their group situation is already one that will mean that they won't be able to rest players until the final group game at best). 

It is definitely theirs to lose now, but I think it is far too early to assume that they will just put up 95+ points again. Still have to play City twice, still have plenty of games against other tough opponents, and still have to manage their squad size.  

Already had two injury time wins. Over 38 games, that sort of good fortune runs out.

Just now, philipl said:

Already had two injury time wins. Over 38 games, that sort of good fortune runs out.

Injury time wins for potential title winners arent good fortune, they tend to be a necessity. Think of all the United teams down the years. Such wins are symptomatic of a dominant and determined team.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Injury time wins for potential title winners arent good fortune, they tend to be a necessity. Think of all the United teams down the years. Such wins are symptomatic of a dominant and determined team.

Agreed, it's about having a winner's mentality.

It's like the 1980s. Liverpool are top and Man U's season is basically the 2 games they play against them.

What an awful game so far. The only talking point is the useless VAR sat at Stockley Park who doesn't know his arse from his elbow.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

That decision somewhat quashes the notion that VAR is a tool being used to get Liverpool a title...

It was never a foul in a million years.

They’ve already had so many decision go their way - including games they aren’t even involved in. They will win the title this season because of the adjustment of officials to VAR. To say one correct call quashes that is wide of the mark.

The sooner VAR is quashed the better. Double-refereeing over subjective decisions is a nonsense. Really hope that LiVARpool’s season falls apart.

Second incident the ball hit his arm. By the Man City Rule that’s a free kick. Daftest rule in football though.

Edited by Stuart

Just now, Stuart said:

Second incident the ball hit his arm. By the Man City Rule that’s a free kick. Daftest rule in football though.

Ironically i think it was a foul by modern standards but Origi diving before it occurred made it unclear.

Agree with you on both points though from my personal perspective

Just now, Stuart said:

They’ve already had so many decision go their way - including games they aren’t even involved in. They will win the title this season because of the adjustment of officials to VAR. To say one correct call quashes that is wide of the mark.

The sooner VAR is quashed the better. Double-refereeing over subjective decisions is a nonsense. Really hope that LiVARpool’s season falls apart.

I'm no lover of Liverpool but that's a clear foul and one of the reasons VAR was brought in. It ticks the clear and obvious error box.

1960s 1970s 1980s 1990s Half Time Score - Man Utd 1 Liverpool 1 the foul on the Liverpool player not deemed enough, therefore no foul and a Utd goal. Mane handball, no intent, no hand movement towards the ball, therefore a goal.

2000s Half Time Score - Man Utd 0 Liverpool 1 the kick to the calf of the Liverpool player deemed a foul, therefore no goal for Utd. Mane incident as above, Liverpool goal.

2019 Half Time Score - Man Utd 0 Liverpool 0 the kick to the calf, as above, no Utd goal. The ball hits the hand of Mane, end of discussion, even though no intent. No Liverpool goal.

Both the modern rule changes and VAR an absolute joke.

Just now, arbitro said:

I'm no lover of Liverpool but that's a clear foul and one of the reasons VAR was brought in. It ticks the clear and obvious error box.

I think the fact that he dived like Diakhaby went against him.

Just now, Husky said:

I think the fact that he dived like Diakhaby went against him.

That shouldn't affect the VAR decision. He has been kicked with the ball nowhere near and Liverpool should have had a free kick. It's a clear and obvious error by the referee and the goal should have been overturned.

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

Any views on yesterdays penalty Arbitro ?

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Any views on yesterdays penalty Arbitro ?

In real time I thought it was a penalty but then a friend who was watching at home texted me to say it was harsh. Having seen it again it would be in the soft category but it's one I would be shouting for if it was one of our players.

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

I’ll bow to your knowledge of the rules but if that’s a foul football may as well be non-contact.

The other problem is how far does VAR go back to undermine the referee? He decided it wasn’t a foul - (the Liverpool player should have been booked for simulation before there was any contact due to him trying to buy the foul) - and played on. VAR was surely brought in to rule on incidents as the happen, not 30 seconds or 20 passes earlier. Every piece of play leads to the next. On that basis, every goal scored should be ruled out because something will have been missed. An infringement during an assist or shot is the maximum reasonable rollback. VAR is now a crutch for referees and linesmen alike.

11 minutes ago, Stuart said:

I’ll bow to your knowledge of the rules but if that’s a foul football may as well be non-contact.

The other problem is how far does VAR go back to undermine the referee? He decided it wasn’t a foul - (the Liverpool player should have been booked for simulation before there was any contact due to him trying to buy the foul) - and played on. VAR was surely brought in to rule on incidents as the happen, not 30 seconds or 20 passes earlier. Every piece of play leads to the next. On that basis, every goal scored should be ruled out because something will have been missed. An infringement during an assist or shot is the maximum reasonable rollback. VAR is now a crutch for referees and linesmen alike.

Every goal is reviewed and the build up is included. I agree that Origi went down too easy but kicking or attempting to kick is an offence. I really worry that your last sentence is what is actually happening and the referee is using VAR as a safety net and isn't using his own judgement but this is falling down massively because the VAR (on all the evidence so far) is reluctant to overturn the referees decision. Today's VAR has refereed fifteen PL games and the referee has done fifteen seasons. And therein likes a huge problem for me in that lesser experienced officials are reluctant to go against one of their peers of a fellow group member. Had VAR's been selected from outside the refereeing fraternity I don't believe we would be having this debate. It's a jobs for the boys situation and it is now being questioned.

31 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Today's VAR has refereed fifteen PL games and the referee has done fifteen seasons. And therein likes a huge problem for me in that lesser experienced officials are reluctant to go against one of their peers of a fellow group member.

That’s a very good point Tony.

Just now, Claytons Left Boot said:

That’s a very good point Tony.

Honestly Mark I can say with confidence that anybody with a decent level of intelligence, knowledge of the laws and experience of playing or watching football can become a competent VAR but the role has already been monopolised with rules that you can only do it if you have been a Select Group 1 or 2 referee within the last three seasons. It makes no sense at all to me.

16 hours ago, arbitro said:

Every goal is reviewed and the build up is included. I agree that Origi went down too easy but kicking or attempting to kick is an offence. I really worry that your last sentence is what is actually happening and the referee is using VAR as a safety net and isn't using his own judgement but this is falling down massively because the VAR (on all the evidence so far) is reluctant to overturn the referees decision. Today's VAR has refereed fifteen PL games and the referee has done fifteen seasons. And therein likes a huge problem for me in that lesser experienced officials are reluctant to go against one of their peers of a fellow group member. Had VAR's been selected from outside the refereeing fraternity I don't believe we would be having this debate. It's a jobs for the boys situation and it is now being questioned.

Klopp said as much after the game. He reckoned that if VAR was not available the ref would have blown. Instead he didn't and let someone else make the decision. It was a foul. A soft one, but one nonetheless.

Disallowing Mane's goal was the correct decision per the laws of the game. However, the law in question is the problem. They changed it this summer and it's a farce. No advantage was gained from it touching Mane's hand. It was the same as LaPorte's for City against Spurs. That goal too was disallowed.

Everybody knew that VAR would be controversial. Why did the FA go down the NFL style central review office rather than the pitch side version that did quite well at the World Cup?

8 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

Klopp said as much after the game. He reckoned that if VAR was not available the ref would have blown. Instead he didn't and let someone else make the decision. It was a foul. A soft one, but one nonetheless.

Disallowing Mane's goal was the correct decision per the laws of the game. However, the law in question is the problem. They changed it this summer and it's a farce. No advantage was gained from it touching Mane's hand. It was the same as LaPorte's for City against Spurs. That goal too was disallowed.

Everybody knew that VAR would be controversial. Why did the FA go down the NFL style central review office rather than the pitch side version that did quite well at the World Cup?

It's the Premier League Chief Execs and Chairmen who didn't want the on field referee to use a pitch side monitor. As they are funding it they got their way but I can't help thinking this decision was made without consulting the managers and coaches. The reason for this, I'm told, is they didn't want too long a delay in the game. Sky are reporting today that there will be a FIFA led review of VAR in general but there will be a strong focus on why the PL are not using the same processes as other nations.