speeeeeeedie

Premier League Stuff

Just now, OldEwoodBlue said:

Hawk Eye has apologised and said ball was over line but they cocked up.

City game is like a morgue.

I just thought someone had forgotten to turn it on tbh...

Just now, K-Hod said:

That’s because FIFA made that call and not the Premier League.

Not regarding PL and EFL they didn’t. It was down to individual players.

23 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

So easy to criticise sitting on your sofa .

When they get it so badly wrong, it is easy but justifiable criticism.

1 minute ago, Ianrally said:

Not regarding PL and EFL they didn’t. It was down to individual players.

I know, but I didn’t highlight that bit, so I wasn’t talking about that bit specifically. 

The only player that refused to wear a poppy, well, let’s be honest, we know who that is. 
But, the last time that was discussed, it went well off topic, so we should probably draw a line under that....

A 0-0 draw and controversy with VAR......yep footballs definitely back folks!! 

So the camera was blocked by post and keeper. Amazing new technology. 

Just now, K-Hod said:

I know, but I didn’t highlight that bit, so I wasn’t talking about that bit specifically. 

The only player that refused to wear a poppy, well, let’s be honest, we know who that is. 
But, the last time that was discussed, it went well off topic, so we should probably draw a line under that....

Fair enough

59 minutes ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

Didn’t realise that. I’ve been watching with the crowd noise on and, to be fair, it’s quite good. One shot went just past the post and the ‘ooohs’ were spot on. They even had chants of ‘United, United’ when Sheff got a corner. I’m also messing around on my iPad, looking up now and again and it has the feel (with the sound) of a normal game. 

I’ve just switched channels to the non crowd version and it feels like a training match. Credit where it’s due in my opinion.

The non crowd version is very strange and weird. So I will hands up my hands to @roversfan99 who was right and myself wrong. 

I agree the crowd noise has been very good. It does like feel like a normal game.

It's just good to have football back on. 

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

The non crowd version is very strange and weird. So I will hands up my hands to @roversfan99 who was right and myself wrong. 

I agree the crowd noise has been very good. It does like feel like a normal game.

watched Bremen v Bayern last night with crowd noise. Really good and felt normal. Watching City now with no crowd noise. VERY weird. Not enjoyable.

37 minutes ago, Tom said:

I couldn’t stand the crowd noise, reminded me of the constant vuvuzela drone 

I think it's mainly for the 'canned laughter generation' that need to be told when to laugh and told when to cheer.etc.

Just now, OldEwoodBlue said:

Watching City now with no crowd noise. VERY weird. Not enjoyable.

Just like a normal game at the Etihad I thought.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

watched Bremen v Bayern last night with crowd noise. Really good and felt normal. Watching City now with no crowd noise. VERY weird. Not enjoyable.

Sky sports man event has crowd noise on. 401 if you have Sky Sports

Edited by chaddyrovers

Posted (edited)

Let's hope that common sense prevails and that after tonight with all teams level on games that the season is ended on PPG. This isn't real football, it is a soulless exercise being done purely for TV money.

Edited by Ewood Ace

Posted (edited)

It just feels awfully sterile to me.

Not wishing to get all existential, but in my view a lot of the point of professional club football is lost with no fans.

I can see quality footballers (well the ones in City shirts) but it’s still leaving me cold. 

At least I have a connection to Rovers, so I assume I’ll be much more invested on Saturday, but I’m probably in the minority anyway as the rest of you seem to be enjoying it, but there you go.

Edited by Mattyblue

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Let's hope that common sense prevails and that after tonight with all teams level on games that the season is ended on PPG. This is real football, it is a soulless exercise being done purely for TV money.

I agree with you on many things but couldn't disagree more on this. I think it's wonderful that the game is back and that the season in the top 2 tiers hopefully doesn't need to be decided off the pitch.

Edit: Not seen anything of the City game yet, but apparently they're playing pretty well. The Villa game was an absolute turkey to kick it all off with and that would have been dull as ditch water with or without a crowd. It's a pity the opening game wasn't a real rip roarer to give people a slightly more favourable impression.

Edited by RevidgeBlue

1 hour ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Really don’t see how you can find it that annoying?! Nothing like the God awful vuvuzela. I actually think it’s pretty decent given what they’ve got to work with.

It somehow just sounded off in the Villa game, like a constant drone / white noise rather than a organic noise

David Luiz is awful defender..

Arsenal arent getting Europe this season. Squad ain't good enough

48 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I thought you was pro fake crowd and I was against haha

I still think the fake crowd is no good, impossible to take seriously no matter how well done with nobody there, a nice idea sure and Sky and BT have done the right thing by offering both options. My problem with Rovers doing it in the ground is you have to then endure it either way, and also for the players it will just be weird.

My overall opinion is not far from that of @Mattyblue I am just not really feeling it at all with these games, I wasnt excited and I have struggled to concentrate. The first game in particular I appreciate would have been boring regardless but it didnt feel and obviously isnt right and no matter what is done, behind closed doors football can never come close. Not a criticism of anyone, its the way it is.

My main detachment has never been that I will not enjoy individual games as much, although that is obviously the case, it is the knowledge about what it all means, leagues, relegations etc will all be concluded in front of no one, it means that it is impossible to avoid a going through the motions feel to it. 

Even yesterday I watched Bayern win the league, Neuer made a superb save near the end to clinch it, and it was impossible to realise how important it was in front of no one.

The Villa game did not feel like a vital game in a relegation battle, it felt like a sterile and noncompetitive friendly.

The 4th and 5th subs need to be removed as well, not only for the integrity and consistency but it dilutes games and gives them a further international friendly vibe. Its obviously done for fitness purposes but just rotate squads more if need be. It also massively benefits the bigger clubs and squads.

I wish I was more excited like normal but I am not.

As a side point, nothing will embarrass the PL further than the joke of an incident for Sheffield Uniteds ghost goal, that will be critical in the fight for survival and Europe and for the watch to malfunction and cost Sheffield United is an absolute unforgivable joke.

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

David Luiz is awful defender..

Arsenal arent getting Europe this season. Squad ain't good enough

We dont even know if there will be a normal European competition next season so I am not sure it matters too much.

I do feel it will take players 1 or 2 games to get up to speed with playing proper games again. 

I enjoyed watching City but this isnt City at their best. 

Arsenal have been poor and I feel that Arteta has make a mistake in going there. Massive rebuilding. 

Villa and Sheff Utd wasnt good but I do feel that if Sheffield United had got that goal that the technology didnt give it might have different. 

11 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

We dont even know if there will be a normal European competition next season so I am not sure it matters too much.

Well this year European competition is going ahead so I dont see why next season wont happen in some format. 

I don’t agree with this 5 subs thing; I get they say the players aren’t fully fit but it’s moving of goalposts, I know it’s crazy circumstances but you have to end a season with the rules you started with and built a squad around as such 

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I thought you was pro fake crowd and I was against haha

I still think the fake crowd is no good, impossible to take seriously no matter how well done with nobody there, a nice idea sure and Sky and BT have done the right thing by offering both options. My problem with Rovers doing it in the ground is you have to then endure it either way, and also for the players it will just be weird.

My overall opinion is not far from that of @Mattyblue I am just not really feeling it at all with these games, I wasnt excited and I have struggled to concentrate. The first game in particular I appreciate would have been boring regardless but it didnt feel and obviously isnt right and no matter what is done, behind closed doors football can never come close. Not a criticism of anyone, its the way it is.

My main detachment has never been that I will not enjoy individual games as much, although that is obviously the case, it is the knowledge about what it all means, leagues, relegations etc will all be concluded in front of no one, it means that it is impossible to avoid a going through the motions feel to it. 

Even yesterday I watched Bayern win the league, Neuer made a superb save near the end to clinch it, and it was impossible to realise how important it was in front of no one.

The Villa game did not feel like a vital game in a relegation battle, it felt like a sterile and noncompetitive friendly.

The 4th and 5th subs need to be removed as well, not only for the integrity and consistency but it dilutes games and gives them a further international friendly vibe. Its obviously done for fitness purposes but just rotate squads more if need be. It also massively benefits the bigger clubs and squads.

I wish I was more excited like normal but I am not.

As a side point, nothing will embarrass the PL further than the joke of an incident for Sheffield Uniteds ghost goal, that will be critical in the fight for survival and Europe and for the watch to malfunction and cost Sheffield United is an absolute unforgivable joke.

I don't understand at all why you think it feels less important without a crowd in.

I agree it isn't quite as good without a crowd in but I don't find the importance of the game or any of the issues concerning the individual clubs concerned feel any less important at all.

As regards your last paragraph, apart from the incompetence of the officials, I find it incomprehensible that VAR didn't step in bearing in mind that they are usually so desperate to intervene and chalk goals off because someone has inadvertently put a toenail offside or the ball has accidentally brushed against someone's arm in the build up to a goal.

If you were a conspiracy theorist, I'd imagine it would give you plenty of ammo, Sheff Utd competing against Man Ure for a Champions League place, Sky wanting big City Club Villa to stay up etc etc.

4 minutes ago, Tom said:

I don’t agree with this 5 subs thing; I get they say the players aren’t fully fit but it’s moving of goalposts, I know it’s crazy circumstances but you have to end a season with the rules you started with and built a squad around as such 

I'm not bothered either way on the subs issue but I think I'm in a minority in not liking the canned crowd noise at all.

To me there's a slight delay which makes it sound as though the crowd noise is not in response to what's going on (which of course it isn't) and it detracts slightly from the feel of it being a genuine game and erring more into the realms of it being artificially made up.

With the Bundesliga games, I didn't mind there was no crowd noise at all.

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

To be fair, at least Masher’s consistent, I thought it was just on Rovers issues he liked to play the contrarian.

Nothing to do with this - the technology is there to help referees - the technology did not work so I think it is ridiculous to criticise the referee.

8 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Nothing to do with this - the technology is there to help referees - the technology did not work so I think it is ridiculous to criticise the referee.

Why didn't the VAR help the ref? It was clearly over the line and the VAR could have given the goal in a matter of seconds. We have had VAR ruling goals out when a quarter of a toe or a shoulder blade have been offside but they couldn't give a goal that everyone (other than the officials it seems) could see was well over the line.

12 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Why didn't the VAR help the ref? It was clearly over the line and the VAR could have given the goal in a matter of seconds. We have had VAR ruling goals out when a quarter of a toe or a shoulder blade have been offside but they couldn't give a goal that everyone (other than the officials it seems) could see was well over the line.

Former ref Dermot Gallagher was apparently at Stockley Park tonight and has just been on Talksport. He never ever criticises VAR even when it's clearly wrong or at least against the spirit if not the letter of the rules and I can only assume he has some sort of financial interest in it.

He gave the exceedingly lame excuse tonight that Oliver had signalled that his watch hadn't gone off therefore the official in Stockley Park (who would also have been a ref) must have assumed that the technology was correct and that therefore it probably never even entered his head thar there was a need to check the footage.

Tuned in half way through and I think I caught the end of Gallagher saying that the goal line technology has to catch the ball with 2 cameras to work. If that is true it seems like a major flaw to me.