speeeeeeedie

Premier League Stuff

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

It just feels awfully sterile to me.

Not wishing to get all existential, but in my view a lot of the point of professional club football is lost with no fans.

I can see quality footballers (well the ones in City shirts) but it’s still leaving me cold. 

At least I have a connection to Rovers, so I assume I’ll be much more invested on Saturday, but I’m probably in the minority anyway as the rest of you seem to be enjoying it, but there you go.

Think I'm in that camp too. Not just no crowds at matches for atmosphere, think you are right about the point of it too. Also not being able to really watch footy with mates in the pub or round theirs, or see other Rovers fans easily, albeit technology compensates for this somewhat, and the community and social aspects aren't there. These are the big ones for me, which keep me interested and they just aren't there at the same level.  Add in the lost momentum from the season, like going back to a book you half read 6 months ago and I am struggling to get excited. 

25 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Why didn't the VAR help the ref? It was clearly over the line and the VAR could have given the goal in a matter of seconds. We have had VAR ruling goals out when a quarter of a toe or a shoulder blade have been offside but they couldn't give a goal that everyone (other than the officials it seems) could see was well over the line.

This is a key dislike in football. No matter what tech is built in there still seem to be monumental cock ups and big clubs still get the rub of the green. As you say this is farcical. Given such huge muck ups keep happening is there a point to having the tech during the game itself? 

1 hour ago, Tom said:

I don’t agree with this 5 subs thing; I get they say the players aren’t fully fit but it’s moving of goalposts, I know it’s crazy circumstances but you have to end a season with the rules you started with and built a squad around as such 

Footballers and fitness always grates on me slightly. They're paid to stay in top physical shape. They've been locked down for 12 weeks the one thing they could have done is keep fit fair enough the may not be used to the ball and playing with other people but they should have physical fitness

2 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

Footballers and fitness always grates on me slightly. They're paid to stay in top physical shape. They've been locked down for 12 weeks the one thing they could have done is keep fit fair enough the may not be used to the ball and playing with other people but they should have physical fitness

It is scientifically proven that playing so much high intensity football at the level and pace they do will inevitably lead to injuries. So I understand the reason, I dont think its because they are anything  but in peak physical shape.

That being said, it destroys integrity and creates further unnecessary inconsistency, as well as damages the quality and flow of games in the second half. The fairer and more obvious solution is to rotate squads more to cope with an unavoidably hectic schedule.

I am happy that Premier League football is on again.

We've debated crowd vs. no crowd to death but I do agree that no fans in the stands makes it looks strange. It didn't matter to me when I was watching the Bundesliga, but does a bit for Prem games. The canned crowd noise is OK in general play but is lacking during controversial moments. Luiz getting sent off was a prime example. There's usually a load of crowd noise before the commentator let's everyone know. There wasn't today. The quality of play has not diminished at all. 

I'll still take no fans over no football any day though.

The two games were never going to be classics with or without fans. A now desperate Villa and an organised yet unspectacular Sheff Utd team were never going to pull up trees, so a technology gaffe makes the headlines instead.

I saw more of the City game. They were streets ahead of Arsenal. Arteta has a job on his hands. He needs to get rid of all the deadwood and rule over the youngsters sharp. They are a very mediocre team.

David Luiz has never been good. Tonight should be his last Arsenal appearance. He came on as sub, cocked up for goal 1 right before half time, then gives away a penalty and is sent off; effectively ending the game. He can be competent, yet that has tended to coincide when he was paired with a partner who can play. His best days came when he was next to John Terry or Thiago Silva. He looked like a fish out of water during the World Cup drubbing to Germany, no surprise that Silva was out. He came to Arsenal as the experienced one, but isn't good enough to pull it off.

9 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Former ref Dermot Gallagher was apparently at Stockley Park tonight and has just been on Talksport. He never ever criticises VAR even when it's clearly wrong or at least against the spirit if not the letter of the rules and I can only assume he has some sort of financial interest in it.

He gave the exceedingly lame excuse tonight that Oliver had signalled that his watch hadn't gone off therefore the official in Stockley Park (who would also have been a ref) must have assumed that the technology was correct and that therefore it probably never even entered his head thar there was a need to check the footage.

Tuned in half way through and I think I caught the end of Gallagher saying that the goal line technology has to catch the ball with 2 cameras to work. If that is true it seems like a major flaw to me.

Hawkeye have said this is the first time in 9000 games there has been a problem like this.

7 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Hawkeye have said this is the first time in 9000 games there has been a problem like this.

One issue brought about VAR and GLT is that it's taken away the responsibility of match officials (particularly linesman) who seem reluctant to make decisions in the knowledge they have some technical backup. Pre technology I think the linesman would have seen the ball over the line but the trust they have in the technology for matters of fact is total. For something as crucial as this though I believe VAR should have intervened as they would have had complete evidence that the ball was over the line.

2 minutes ago, arbitro said:

One issue brought about VAR and GLT is that it's taken away the responsibility of match officials (particularly linesman) who seem reluctant to make decisions in the knowledge they have some technical backup. Pre technology I think the linesman would have seen the ball over the line but the trust they have in the technology for matters of fact is total. For something as crucial as this though I believe VAR should have intervened as they would have had complete evidence that the ball was over the line.

I think it is very difficult in the heat of the moment for an official to effectively say they didn't trust the technology. On balance the use of technology has led to fewer mistakes being made and therefore the results of fewer games being decided by officials' mistakes - but perfection can never be achieved.

25 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

No, it is the first time in the 9000 games that a problem has been highlighted. There might have been a problem in every game, but up till now there hasn't been an incident to show the problem. Technology is great, but like humans it is still fallible.

Posted (edited)

Chelsea need one more player I reckon, they still miss Hazard. Timo will score goals but they've never replaced Hazard's creativity. Pedro is leaving too and he's a BIG outlet for them. Lampard needs to bring in somebody like a Jadon Sancho (maybe not him though as it seems unlikely he'll be heading to Chelsea).

If I was Lampard I'd be bidding on Jack Grealish. I think Kante holding, with Grealish and Mount ahead of him would be a nice midfield three. 

There's reports they're interested in Benraham and I really wouldn't blame them. A player destined to play Premier League football but also a player much better suited to football in that division than he is in the Championship.

Kante

Grealish         Mount

Benrahma    Werner    Hudson-Odoi

I think they'd do well with this^

Edited by JoeH

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

Brilliant signing in terms of the player, a huge upgrade on Abraham, but also difficult to be enthused about in the current economic climate.

I'm really not too sure, you know. Granted I've only watched Bundesliga during the lockdown, but the standard of everyone but Dortmund and Bayern has looked so poor. My adopted team, Hertha, have Boyata at the back - who was piss poor for Celtic and came into all sorts of criticism. Now he may have improved massively because he hasn't stood out as a 'bad' player, which I would find very worrying if he hasn't improved.

23 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Brilliant signing in terms of the player, a huge upgrade on Abraham, but also difficult to be enthused about in the current economic climate.

What type of player is? 

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

What type of player is? 

Pacey and prolific.

23 minutes ago, J*B said:

I'm really not too sure, you know. Granted I've only watched Bundesliga during the lockdown, but the standard of everyone but Dortmund and Bayern has looked so poor. My adopted team, Hertha, have Boyata at the back - who was piss poor for Celtic and came into all sorts of criticism. Now he may have improved massively because he hasn't stood out as a 'bad' player, which I would find very worrying if he hasn't improved.

I know Belgium dont have loads of defenders but Boyata is a regular in the squad and was he that bad at Celtic? I dont think the League is that bad, its just behind La Liga and Serie A I would say, aside from them teams you mentioned, Leverkusen, Gladbach and of course Leipzig are also very good, Werner was instrumental when Leipzig knocked out and totally outclassed Spurs in the Champions League pre lockdown. He has scored goals not only in the Bundesliga but in the Champions League and internationally and is yet to peak.

13 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

What type of player is? 

A goalscorer who loves running in behind and is also good technically.

33 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Chelsea need one more player I reckon, they still miss Hazard. Timo will score goals but they've never replaced Hazard's creativity. Pedro is leaving too and he's a BIG outlet for them. Lampard needs to bring in somebody like a Jadon Sancho (maybe not him though as it seems unlikely he'll be heading to Chelsea).

If I was Lampard I'd be bidding on Jack Grealish. I think Kante holding, with Grealish and Mount ahead of him would be a nice midfield three. 

There's reports they're interested in Benraham and I really wouldn't blame them. A player destined to play Premier League football but also a player much better suited to football in that division than he is in the Championship.

Kante

Grealish         Mount

Benrahma has done well in the Championship but its a massive ask to expect him to jump straight into Chelseas team. Ziyech and Pulisic are both superior options I would suggest. Sancho is better than them all but even if he was realistic they dont need another wide man I dont think with Ziyech, Pulisic, Hudson Odoi and Willian if he stays.

Grealish has mainly played on the left of the front 3 in a free role for Villa. Hes undoubtedly a good player but not sure he warrants anything close to the fees mentioned. Kovacic has been brilliant for Chelsea this season, so him and Kante should have places nailed down, then they have Mount, Jorginho, Loftus Cheek, Barkley etc for that remaining spot. 

If Abramovic does have more loose change in his pockets to spend, defensive reinforcement and specifically a left back is surely the thing they need rather than wingers and more attacking midfielders. Chilwell has been mentioned but hes had a really poor season and will be highly priced so maybe someone else.

Pedro has been finished for a couple of seasons too, wont be a loss.

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

Kante

Grealish         Mount

I would say Werner will be used on the left with Abraham in the middle. 

Kante

Kovacic Mount

Ziyech Abraham Wener

This would be my choice. 

14 minutes ago, Wegerleswiggle said:

Kante

Kovacic Mount

Ziyech Abraham Wener

This would be my choice. 

No way surely should they shift Werner to a more uncomfortable position to make way for an inferior player in Abraham, especially with natural wide men like Pulisic, Hudson Odoi and Willian all waiting in the wings. (Pardon the pun)

Abraham has had a very impressive season. Is he the man to lead a top 4 side with top tier aspirations. I would suggest not at this moment. Great to have around though.

2 hours ago, J*B said:

Rovers got Samba from Hertha reserves. He was a fantastic player.

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

I know Belgium dont have loads of defenders but Boyata is a regular in the squad and was he that bad at Celtic? I dont think the League is that bad, its just behind La Liga and Serie A I would say, aside from them teams you mentioned, Leverkusen, Gladbach and of course Leipzig are also very good, Werner was instrumental when Leipzig knocked out and totally outclassed Spurs in the Champions League pre lockdown. He has scored goals not only in the Bundesliga but in the Champions League and internationally and is yet to peak.

A goalscorer who loves running in behind and is also good technically.

I agree. Werner is a very good player. I rate Abraham too. He's a bit gangly but will improve. He's not in Werner's class but has scored a bag full this season (last season in the Championship too) and is a few years younger.

4 hours ago, arbitro said:

Interesting that the officials “trusted the watch tech” and didn’t refer to VAR.

I guarantee that if Liverpool players had approached the ref it would have been checked.

15 minutes ago, Stuart said:

I guarantee that if Liverpool players had approached the ref it would have been checked.

Interesting emphasis on the word guarantee there Stuart (your emphasis at that). You've made your opinion on LFC's 'influence' very clear in the past, but that is all it is, an opinion. Not a guarantee.....

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Pedro has been finished for a couple of seasons too, wont be a loss.

Couldn't disagree more. One of their best players this season. Still a huge creative force in that team and they'll sadly miss him.

1 hour ago, Wegerleswiggle said:

Can't see Werner playing anything other than through the middle, have never heard of him playing outside of that position at Leipzig.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Couldn't disagree more. One of their best players this season. Still a huge creative force in that team and they'll sadly miss him.

Just checked and hes only made 8 league starts with 1 further sub appearance this season, with a solitary goal and assist both coming in that Everton game prior to the lockdown.

A great player in his time but has never fully replicated his Barcelona form with Chelsea and seems to have particularly faded since Lampard came in and focused more on younger players and of course Willian.

Edited by roversfan99