speeeeeeedie

Premier League Stuff

I'd just like to add my congratulations to Ben Mee.  That's why having a captain with a moral compass is so important.

Getting back to the football. I'd say the dingles are probably a goal, or even two goals, better than we are at the moment. How far in front of us are City ? That gap is massive and it's getting bigger every season.

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, ben_the_beast said:

Absolutely disgusting from Burnley. Flying above the Etihad this evening

IMG-20200622-WA0019.jpg

Comments section on the LT about this is a rubbish fire.

Black people should stop moaning about institutionalised racism, apparently. What a mess.

Delightful evening for Burnley though.

Edited by CD_93

Posted (edited)

There needs to be some perspective. Social media always amplifies. A small minority of people does not reflect the views of the vast majority.

Recent opinion polls show enormous change in beliefs on issues like race, especially in the last 5/10 years. 80% believe asylum seekers should be given refuge, just 3% believe being white is what qualifies you as British, only a quarter think immigration is bad for Britain (it was 60% in 2011). And there’s many more similar polls.

Does that mean we should be complacent? No, but we should be optimistic and proud of the progress that has been made and not try and paint Britain as this horrible, backwards place due to the views of a small minority of boneheads.

Edited by Mattyblue

What was going on with the banner company when they thought it was a good idea to agree to do this!

4 hours ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

It's the Pep way. Have all the fancy attacking players, the best passers of a ball and neglect the defence. Throw in a defensive midfielder (Mascirano or Fernandino) into central defence and hope for the best. His teams have always been amazing going forwards, but fall apart when a tough, well organised and skilfully defensive team won't allow them to pass their way through them, and hit with a counter attack.

I think thats a little harsh and disingenuous regarding the conversion of defensive midfielders. The objective is obviously to ensure that you have players who can use the ball in tight areas right across the pitch which is crucial to play the way that Pep wants to play, with even their goalkeeper brilliant on the ball. It is a joy to watch when City get the ball deep under pressure near their own net and break the press and get out of the other side. It is a little more than hoping for the best.

Mascherano and Fernandinho both made a successful transition to being a centre back because they had the intelligence and the technical ability to do so, the latter has been by far Citys best defender in Laporte's absence. Laporte is critical to City and him alongside Fernandinho makes a very good duo. Perhaps their squad is overly reliant on Laporte in terms of him being the dominant defender (also superb on the ball) but I suppose you could argue that Van Dijk being out for an extended period would probably cause Liverpools results to nosedive.

It was a bit of an exaggeration, but Pep is still reliant on his team's being able to blast a team away with passing skill, and not need to defend. John Stones may have been a better defender if he was taught about positioning and the basics before how to play fancy tippy tally stuff. Pep would have gotten rid of/never signed Adams, Hendry, Vidic or any of the defenders in that mould as they were not fancy enough with the ball. He has had 2 seasons to replace Kompany, who was getting injured a lot, and his answer is a midfielder who is near the end of his career.

9 hours ago, K-Hod said:

Just had to tidy this topic up as a comment about voting intention and preferences was tagged onto the football board. 
Whilst the black lives matter movement, in this case is related to football, anything else will be considered off topic. 
Also- for those struggling and saying ‘all lives matter’. They most definitely do. 
It relates to when there is a crisis, people rally around that particular group. 
For example, when it’s breast cancer awareness month, you wouldn’t start saying ‘oh yeah, but what about colon cancer?’

Well explained but you know what re the cancer, I believe I have made comments of that ilk.  

The banner company now looking for a new base as Blackpool airport now banned all banner towing

always going to take teams and players 2 or 3 games to get back to speed. 

Rodgers get his team selection wrong from the start. Playing Maddison from the left was wrong. They looked much better when they went 4-1-4-1 and Tielemans, Perez and Barnes was on the pitch. 

if Brighton had scored the pen it would have been a different game. 

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

These games since "Project Restart" have been consistently shocking. So dull.

Both City games were good, Spurs v Man Ure was fairly entertaining, I didn't think Norwich v Southampton was bad either.

Ours was one of our best performances of the season.

You were dead against football returning in the first place and are using the standard of the games thus far to justify your stance. How many classics are there on the first day of the season on a hot day in August normally I wonder?

The time to judge is at the end of the season not one and a bit games in after a lengthy play off.

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Both City games were good, Spurs v Man Ure was fairly entertaining, I didn't think Norwich v Southampton was bad either.

Ours was one of our best performances of the season.

You were dead against football returning in the first place and are using the standard of the games thus far to justify your stance. How many classics are there on the first day of the season on a hot day in August normally I wonder?

The time to judge is at the end of the season not one and a bit games in after a lengthy play off.

Likewise you could say that about you who was 100% for football returning and dismissive both of the pandemic and also the absence of fans. I dont think I am being biased or on my own suggesting that the games in the main have been boring. The goals per game and the amount ran by each player has dropped.

I suspect that the lack of intensity and lack of entertainment stems from a mixture of a lack of supporters and the lack of match fitness and rustiness, and as you suggest that may change somewhat regarding the latter, but I can only judge on what I have seen so far.

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Likewise you could say that about you who was 100% for football returning and dismissive both of the pandemic and also the absence of fans. I dont think I am being biased or on my own suggesting that the games in the main have been boring. The goals per game and the amount ran by each player has dropped.

I suspect that the lack of intensity and lack of entertainment stems from a mixture of a lack of supporters and the lack of match fitness and rustiness, and as you suggest that may change somewhat regarding the latter, but I can only judge on what I have seen so far.

It wouldn't be altogether surprising if the distances run were considerably less than normal given the time of year and the temperatures.

That shouldn't be mistaken for a lack of intensity or importance imo and teams ought to be able to compensate for that by being cuter or more clever.

10 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

how many games have you watch since the restart? 

of course it down to match fitness and rustiness which is very natural to expect this. This is why its good to see Rovers performance so well and on the money from the start. 

Dont think the Spurs and West Ham been that bad tbh

1 1/2 games in the premier league so far tonight and 0 goals,5 shots on target while ive just finished watching Benfica 3-4 Santa Clara on Freesports.For so long we had the most entertaining league in the world,i'm not so sure we still do.

Posted (edited)

I was all for football returning and have similar views to rev regarding corona but in the whole I have been bored watching most of the games. It’s early still but after the initial joy of football returning the BCD games just don’t have the same excitement and joy , factor in fitness etc and they have been quite dull affairs to the point it can’t hold my attention. On the flip side loved rovers the same way I’d watch an away game on tv so I’m kind of on the fence and willing to see how I feel after a few more games. I don’t think it helps that the league is technically over before it even started. I lost a lot of interest in the bundesliga after Bayern beat Dortmund after enjoying the initial restart

Edited by Oldgregg86

Didn't see the Spurs game tonight but watched a re-run of West Ham v Wolves and I thought the 'ammers looked the worst side I've seen in a very long time.

They didn't have a clue what to do when they got the ball. No movement, thought or ingenuity at all. They just knocked the ball endlessly sideways and backwards between the back 4 and then eventually the only out ball was for the right back to try and squeeze a ball up the line towards one of the forwards.

Dire stuff. Going to be a poor side stays up this year given only three of Norwich/Villa/Bournemouth and West Ham can go down.

I will say that my reservations over the morality of it all did somewhat reduce as the R rate etc came down and I was more open minded to them finishing the season. My observations arent a criticism of anyone either in that I think its been done as well as possible in the circumstances but of course it can never be the same. 

I also am not putting the decrease in entertainment all on the fact that no supporters are in the ground, although that has to be a major factor. After the gap that theres been without a game and with minimal pre seasons in hotter temperatures than normal, that all has a be a big part of it too. I would add that surely as the players are getting properly up to speed the season will be about to end again!

It was rammed down our throats how it will have to become a "tv sport" whether it be by posters on here, on social media or by Sky, BT etc trying to increase public interest but it doesnt do justice to how much different (negatively) it is without fans, and that albeit the biggest factor is only part of the reason why the product is compromised. Its not nor ever could be just like watching football on TV normally.

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Didn't see the Spurs game tonight but watched a re-run of West Ham v Wolves and I thought the 'ammers looked the worst side I've seen in a very long time.

They didn't have a clue what to do when they got the ball. No movement, thought or ingenuity at all. They just knocked the ball endlessly sideways and backwards between the back 4 and then eventually the only out ball was for the right back to try and squeeze a ball up the line towards one of the forwards.

Dire stuff. Going to be a poor side stays up this year given only three of Norwich/Villa/Bournemouth and West Ham can go down.

I watched the Spurs and West Ham game. Moyes set his team up well tonight but not good enough attacking wise. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

Moyes is doing a fantastic job at West Ham. Mind you that evaluation is probably because of my dislike for the hammers then anything else. Hope they go down as a very dislikeable club from board to fans. Also shows the level of manager Moyes is, which might not match his own perception. 

9 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Moyes is doing a fantastic job at West Ham. Mind you that evaluation is probably because of my dislike for the hammers then anything else. Hope they go down as a very dislikeable club from board to fans. Also shows the level of manager Moyes is, which might not match his own perception. 

They are in trouble, no doubt there.

Bournemouth and Villa now have a game in hand over them but Bournemouth have to go to Wolves next and Villa are away at Newcastle, so West Ham might just stay out of the bottom 3 for now.

Posted (edited)

I thought jarred Bowen played well , good decision making and always looking to play the Ball forward and get on the attack. Antonio held the ball up reasonably well and he always plays well when I see West Ham. Strong , versatile and committed. Eric lamella has to be the most frustrating player I’ve seen for a long time . Two games against United and West Ham he was driving me mad. Clearly a very talented player but constantly made the wrong decision with the final ball. Great footballer but lacking the football brain to be a top player 

Edited by Oldgregg86

2 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

. Eric lamella has to be the most frustrating player I’ve seen for a long time . Two games against United and West Ham he was driving me mad. Clearly a very talented player but constantly made the wrong decision with the final ball. Great footballer but lacking the football brain to be a top player 

A bit off topic but it's interesting what difference a footballing brain makes. For example we had a lad from Liverpool under Hughes (Pongolle?) who drove me nuts with his decision making. He always seemed to chose the wrong option and have no football nous whatsoever. Bags of potential and pretty nippy and skillful as I recall but always made the wrong choice. So frustrating. Attitude is a key factor in whether players make it and to what level, but I think that football brain also separates players a lot and determines their level. 

In contrast Antonsson when he was with us I thought was a fairly useless footballer but had a good football brain. As in he always tried to do the right thing but often it didn't come off as he didn't have the ability. I'd say without his nous and on talent alone he'd have got nowhere near professional football. 

So who gets your vote for premiership player of the season ?

for me it has to be Kevin de Bruyne. No one comes close to him for ability and he has the work rate to match anybody in the division.

jordan Henderson is getting a lot of votes and whilst I am a fan of Henderson I don’t think he has been the best player at Liverpool. Allison, Trent, Robertson, van dijk and mane would all get the vote above Henderson for me.

intresting comment I heard the other day, was that quality, skilful players are becoming less and less due to clubs wanting and producing athletes. How many players would you pay to watch just to watch them, the likes of zola, bergkamp, Henry, Ginola etc. The quote was comparing Henderson to David batty Saying go back 20 years and imagine batty getting the player of the year. If Henderson wins and Kante recently won it (fully deserved) then it only adds to the point he was making.

All about opta stats these days. Jason Lowe dined out on them for most of his career.