speeeeeeedie

Premier League Stuff

14 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

So who gets your vote for premiership player of the season ?

for me it has to be Kevin de Bruyne. No

De Bruyne or Mane. 

Maddison would be in my top 3. 

Jeff Hendrick has left Burnley after they couldnt agree a new deal

56 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

So who gets your vote for premiership player of the season ?

for me it has to be Kevin de Bruyne. No one comes close to him for ability and he has the work rate to match anybody in the division.

jordan Henderson is getting a lot of votes and whilst I am a fan of Henderson I don’t think he has been the best player at Liverpool. Allison, Trent, Robertson, van dijk and mane would all get the vote above Henderson for me.

intresting comment I heard the other day, was that quality, skilful players are becoming less and less due to clubs wanting and producing athletes. How many players would you pay to watch just to watch them, the likes of zola, bergkamp, Henry, Ginola etc. The quote was comparing Henderson to David batty Saying go back 20 years and imagine batty getting the player of the year. If Henderson wins and Kante recently won it (fully deserved) then it only adds to the point he was making.

I'd have to give player of the year to a Liverpool player. One of Henderson, Mane, or van Dijk.

Henderson has been the driving force of the current Liverpool team. As you say, nothing spectacular in his play but he adds impetus to the team. I do think that Mane has been world class though.

To your point about athletes over skillful players. I've heard this on and off for a while. There was a push a few years ago at youth level to get kids back to playing "free football" with no restrictions to let their inner creativity shine. This was down to academies producing identikit players who lacked any creativity in thought or body that could change a game. I think that it is paying off. Alexander-Arnold isn't an average right back. Sancho, Rashford, Hudson-Odoi, and even Ross Barkley all have the ability. I'd pay to watch van Dijk. He has skills, just different than the aforementioned.

As a side David Batty won Rovers player of the year once ahead of Shearer. It was deserved too.

This is putting the kaibosh on Palace but Woy has them playing some good football now and should give Liverpool more of a game at Anfield than we did..

Posted (edited)

20 minutes in and Rashford has missed an open net from six yards and fluffed a good chance after excellent build up play. I really don’t get what people see on him. He’s a good player but he must be one of the most over rated players I can remember.  Our old mate jack Rodwell on the bench for Sheffield United

Edited by Oldgregg86

6 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Jeff Hendrick has left Burnley after they couldnt agree a new deal

And your point is...... surely it isn't we should be looking at signing him as we need to know what division we are in before considering any signings 🙄

4 minutes ago, Lucimo said:

And your point is...... surely it isn't we should be looking at signing him as we need to know what division we are in before considering any signings 🙄

Is the transfer window open?

6 minutes ago, Lucimo said:

point being Burnley and Dyche have lost a key player. Dyche cant be happy about that.

14 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

point being Burnley and Dyche have lost a key player. Dyche cant be happy about that.

Ask Burnley fans if they consider him a key player. You might not get the answer you think....

27 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Ask Burnley fans if they consider him a key player. You might not get the answer you think....

lets ask Dyche whether he consider him a key player

18 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Ok you ask Dyche , but the original question was ask the fee paying fans ... they don’t rate him 

35 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I’ve not got his number sadly mate. 
But, I do have the phone number of a few Burnley fans and they won’t be that sad to see him go....

8 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

I’ve not got his number sadly mate. 
But, I do have the phone number of a few Burnley fans and they won’t be that sad to see him go....

Deeply average in my book. I wouldn't be jumping up and down if we signed him. If he's a key player for Dyche it says a lot about their style of football.

Another defeat for Norwich. I have enjoyed watching them this season but trying to play pretty football with limited players is an easy way to get relegated.

Villa and Brighton scraped another point which doesn't help Bournemouth. They look like they are in real trouble. West Ham look lost too. Will Watford be able to string a few wins together? They looked decent against Leicester.

At the top the title will be sealed tomorrow is City can't beat Chelsea. Although I can't see that happening, it will only mean that the inevitable will have to wait until Liverpool's next win.

Liverpool were excellent today. They didn't give Palace a kick. As soon as the title is wrapped up Klopp can move on to next season. He is going to be have one long preseason. He'll be delighted. He gets to use 5 subs each game all under real match conditions. Squad players will get a chance to impress.

Man U easily swept aside Sheffield Utd. Martial had one of those days where he played like Thierry Henry. They don't happen often enough for a player who cost what he did.

I also agree on the Dyche comments. He knows that they are safe so is playing games with the board to see if he can get what he wants.

Posted (edited)

Sean Dyche is considering leaving Burnley at the end of the season due to the deterioration in his relationship with chairman Mike Garlick, which other senior figures at the club fear is fractured beyond repair. 

The Burnley manager has been frustrated by the club's failure to agree contract extensions for several senior players this summer, as revealed by Sportsmail last month, and become further disillusioned in recent days after being told there will be little money for new signings when the transfer window opens next month.

Plus Lee Johnson and Mark Hughes possible choices to replace Dyche if he does go. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

Lee Johnson? 

Dyche leaving Burnley would be terrific news.

It will be ironic if the title is won and the winning team aren’t even playing.

1 hour ago, rigger said:

Equally ironic that a result at Stamford Bridge could make a team Premier League champions for the first time in their history.

Chelsea 2-2 Tottenham Hotspur gave Leicester City the title back in 2015/16.

1 hour ago, rigger said:

It's happened before.

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It's happened before.

And it was still ironic. Irony doesn’t always happen once.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I was watching one of the PL games yesterday and so bored with the play that I downloaded one of the Big Match Revisited programmes that ITV 4 are showing. The main game was Fulham v Notts County from 1976. The pitch was crap, goalkeepers didn't have gloves, could pick back passes up, no histrionics from the players and lots of skilful, honest endeavour. The was no panel of 'experts' in the studio pontificating over every move, no co commentators or summarisers giving us the benefit of their expertise. And the entertainment was hugely better than the sanistised, over-hyped football we see now where defenders and goalkeepers have more touches of the ball than midfielders and forwards. The sideways and backwards passing bores me rigid. Some of the younger posters might see this as the ramblings of an old git but I'm sure fans who lived through that era can both relate and agree to what I mean.

Yes but were they wearing advertising shirts, beach shorts and rainbow coloured boots ? Todays kit tries to make up for the excitement missing in the game and fails miserably. i haven't watched any football in the lockdown apart from the Rovers highlights and what little bits turn up on the TV news. My blood pressure is feeling the benefit of it.

If you watch Rovers highlights from a similar period you'll see more goalmouth action in that 5 minutes than in the whole of most games today. 

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Yes but were they wearing advertising shirts, beach shorts and rainbow coloured boots ? Todays kit tries to make up for the excitement missing in the game and fails miserably. i haven't watched any football in the lockdown apart from the Rovers highlights and what little bits turn up on the TV news. My blood pressure is feeling the benefit of it.

Another marked difference was only one substitute as opposed to the crowd they currently have (11 I think).

11 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Sean Dyche is considering leaving Burnley at the end of the season due to the deterioration in his relationship with chairman Mike Garlick, which other senior figures at the club fear is fractured beyond repair. 

The Burnley manager has been frustrated by the club's failure to agree contract extensions for several senior players this summer, as revealed by Sportsmail last month, and become further disillusioned in recent days after being told there will be little money for new signings when the transfer window opens next month.

Plus Lee Johnson and Mark Hughes possible choices to replace Dyche if he does go. 

If this is true and from what here from people it could be , the only man is Big Sam ..

Dyche leaving would automatically put them in a relegation scrap !