speeeeeeedie

Premier League Stuff

10 hours ago, Tom said:

Liverpool fans aiming fireworks at the liver building causing a small fire earlier

Just a building to a lot of them. They probably wouldn’t dream of doing it to their own civic buildings; you know like Guildford cathedral or Preston town hall.

14 hours ago, Stuart said:

They’ve had help. It’s been discussed before and I’ve highlighted the incidents (e.g. clear and obvious non-referrals that don’t make it into the stats) in the games that they happened - feel free to dig back - which is why people (oh so charmingly) say things like “a stuck record”.

Once they got away from City there was no looking back and they certainly capitalised on the breaks they got. But there no denying they got them.

In any case, it’s been about the worst PL season in living memory, and not just because of VAR or COVID.

Nice of you to make your posts so full of personal jibes though, Andy. That says more about you than me so I don’t need to respond in kind.

They weren’t personal jibes at you as such Stuart as I don’t know you. I’m only talking about your continually obsessive remarks about Liverpool. Even City and Utd fans on the whole accept they deserved it. At what point would you stop saying “I’m right and everybody else is wrong”?

I begrudge everything Man United have ever won but I would and have recognised when they have been the best team in the league, which has been very often in the past 25-30 years.

38 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

At what point would you stop saying “I’m right and everybody else is wrong”?

Why does that even need to be a thing?

I don’t expect you to agree with me, nor should you, for some reason, need me to agree with you.

Just now, Stuart said:

Why does that even need to be a thing?

I don’t expect you to agree with me, nor should you, for some reason, need me to agree with you.

I really don’t. 

Posted (edited)

Liverpool fans now claiming (on facebook,of course) that man Utd haven't won the Premier League because prior to 2016 it was "called" Barclays/Carling Premier League.

Not quite grasped the concept of a sponsor/league name 

tenor.gif

Edited by davulsukur

Posted (edited)

So, Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea and Arsenal in the cup semi finals... exciting new world.

Edited by Mattyblue

Some disgusting videos on social media of exactly what a Liverpool title win looks like.

Good news for the sponsors and tv rights people.

38 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

So, Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea and Arsenal in the cup semi finals... exciting new world.

The BBC are currently wetting themselves at the prospect of viewing figures for the semi finals and final while the rest of us not supporters of of the 4 are saying same old sh*t again

12 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

The magic of the cup... won by Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man Utd or Man City in all but two years since 1996.

1 hour ago, DE. said:

The magic of the cup... won by Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man Utd or Man City in all but two years since 1996.

When I first got interested these were the first decade of finalists from memory -

59, Forest v Luton 

60, Rovers v Wolves

61, Spurs v Leicester

62, Spurs V Dingles

63, Man Utd v Leicester

64, West Ham V Preston

65, Liverpool v Leeds

66, Everton v Sheff Wed

67, Spurs V Chelsea

68, Everton v West Brom

69, Man City v Leicester

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, DE. said:

Yet in the 25 years before (1970 to 1995), there were 14 different winners.

Pundits can cheerlead all they want about the ‘fantastic modern spectacle’, fitter players and a quicker game? Fine. But the truth is it’s a shadow of what it was as a competitive sport, and all the poorer for it, especially for younger fans that have never known anything different.

Edited by Mattyblue

4 hours ago, DE. said:

I did not know that so I checked. In the last 30 years there have only been 2 finals without one of the above; 1991 - Spurs v. Forest and 2008 - Portsmouth v. Cardiff.

I have never been a big fan of the FA cup, the above may be why.

10 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

I did not know that so I checked. In the last 30 years there have only been 2 finals without one of the above; 1991 - Spurs v. Forest and 2008 - Portsmouth v. Cardiff.

I have never been a big fan of the FA cup, the above may be why.

At the risk of sounding like an old git I used to love the FA Cup. Cup final day was huge in most football fans diary with pretty much the whole day on TV devoted to it. We had It's a Knockout, quizzes, meet the players and officials and a host of other things to keep us riveted. Every club played its strongest team from the third round and there was always a giant killer each season. It started to die when we got bloated squads and managers began to disrespect it essentially playing reserve teams. Then we had the FA allowing the Rags to play in the World Club Championship and let them miss the FA Cup to do so. The FA have tried to add some glamour and glitz but have failed and now, even for lower league clubs getting knocked out doesn't seem to matter.

23 minutes ago, arbitro said:

At the risk of sounding like an old git I used to love the FA Cup. Cup final day was huge in most football fans diary with pretty much the whole day on TV devoted to it. We had It's a Knockout, quizzes, meet the players and officials and a host of other things to keep us riveted. Every club played its strongest team from the third round and there was always a giant killer each season. It started to die when we got bloated squads and managers began to disrespect it essentially playing reserve teams. Then we had the FA allowing the Rags to play in the World Club Championship and let them miss the FA Cup to do so. The FA have tried to add some glamour and glitz but have failed and now, even for lower league clubs getting knocked out doesn't seem to matter.

That is part of it too. I remember the TV spectacle when I was a kid.

They used to have cameras at the team hotels, followed them on the bus to the ground. Goals of the season. A quiz. It was great.

My early Rovers experiences of the FA cup were the games against Villa and Liverpool. Rovers should have won both. Super Atko's own goal being the most famous incident.

For a butterfly effect moment, if Atkins had not have scored the own goal, Liverpool would not have had a replay, nor would they have drawn 4-4 with Everton in the 5th round which prompted Dalglish to leave. He would then more than likely still been at Liverpool and therefore not taken the job at Ewood.

Atkins had it planned the whole time.

9 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

When I first got interested these were the first decade of finalists from memory -

59, Forest v Luton 

60, Rovers v Wolves

61, Spurs v Leicester

62, Spurs V Dingles

63, Man Utd v Leicester

64, West Ham V Preston

65, Liverpool v Leeds

66, Everton v Sheff Wed

67, Spurs V Chelsea

68, Everton v West Brom

69, Man City v Leicester

Fot the last one (69) we were the first house in the street with a colour telly, had a house full, borrowed chairs etc, dads on chairs, kids sat on the floor in front. Happy days!

22 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

Fot the last one (69) we were the first house in the street with a colour telly, had a house full, borrowed chairs etc, dads on chairs, kids sat on the floor in front. Happy days!

It was a dull game, City never really got going, they saved their " Cup Final " performance for the tie at Ewood ! Leicester had already been relegated. Neil Young's goal was the only high point of a drab 90 minutes.

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It was a dull game, City never really got going, they saved their " Cup Final " performance for the tie at Ewood ! Leicester had already been relegated. Neil Young's goal was the only high point of a drab 90 minutes.

As a Burnley fan, what is this " Colour " TV of which you speak ? I had to listen to our 1 - 0 win over Crystal Palace this evening on the Home Service ! Just looking forward to the " Daily Sketch " tomorrow, to see where we are in the table ! 😉 

Posted (edited)
Just now, sympatheticclaret said:

As a Burnley fan, what is this " Colour " TV of which you speak ? I had to listen to our 1 - 0 win over Crystal Palace this evening on the Home Service ! Just looking forward to the " Daily Sketch " tomorrow, to see where we are in the table ! 😉 

I see you've won a couple then. I wasn't speaking of colour, I watched it in black and white. It was like watching a submarine race, being a Burnley fan you'll know what I mean.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

4 minutes ago, sympatheticclaret said:

Last 11 League Games, W 7 D 3 L 1  .... It'll have to do ...!

What your view on Dyche possible leaving? Due to him and chairman arguments over funds? 

What role is Mike Rigg role and what impact has he had? 

If Dyche was to go who would you go for?.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

What your view on Dyche possible leaving? Due to him and chairman arguments over funds? 

What role is Mike Rigg role and what impact has he had? 

If Dyche was to go who would you go for?.

I'd be sad to see him go, obviously ! I can understand both points of view, Dyche wants the investment to progress on the field, whilst Mike Garlick sees himself as the " custodian " of a historic Club. He remembers both the " Orient " game, and the " ITV Digital " fiasco, both of which nearly saw Burnley FC go under ...He's also seen your little " difficulties ", as well as Bolton, Bury and Blackpool's problems, which will have influenced his thinking ....

Ben Gibson was signed for £15m  but has now been banished from Gawthorpe ( 1 EPL appearance, 5 in the Cups ), and is now training with Middlesbrough ! The view of most fans is that Rigg needs to start producing and pronto .... other signings like Brady and Gudmundsson have sparkled in patches, but are injury prone. 

Where would Sean go where he could have such an imprint on a Club ? You can rule the " Big 6 " out, I suspect .... Everton, Newcastle and Wolves think they are " above " his perceived brand of Football . I'm told he's on £3.5m p.a. ( + Bonus ), so I suspect if Aston Villa go down, that may be a possibility. He and Ian Woan share a house near Whalley during the week, whereas he could commute from his home near Kettering, in under an hour to Villa. They are a bigger Club than us, and have infinitely wealthier owners. 

Replacement ? The heart says Paul Cook or Michael Duff, but I honestly don't know .... the names slung around by the media, Alan Pardew or Mark Hughes would be unacceptable to the fans, that's for sure ... 

Edited by sympatheticclaret

4 minutes ago, sympatheticclaret said:

I'd be sad to see him go, obviously ! I can understand both points of view, Dyche wants the investment to progress on the field, whilst Mike Garlick sees himself as the " custodian " of a historic Club. He remembers both the " Orient " game, and the " ITV Digital " fiasco, both of which nearly saw Burnley FC go under ...He's also seen your little " difficulties ", as well as Bolton, Bury and Blackpool's problems, which will have influenced his thinking ....

Ben Gibson was signed for £15m  but has now been banished from Gawthorpe ( 1 EPL appearance, 5 in the Cups ), and is now training with Middlesbrough ! The view of most fans is that Rigg needs to start producing and pronto .... other signings like Brady and Gudmundsson have sparkled in patches, but are injury prone. 

Where would Sean go where he could have such an imprint on a Club ? You can rule the " Big 6 " out, I suspect .... Everton, Newcastle and Wolves think they are " above " his perceived brand of Football . I'm told he's on £3.5m p.a. ( + Bonus ), so I suspect if Aston Villa go down, that may be a possibility. He and Ian Woan share a house near Whalley during the week, whereas he could commute from his home near Kettering, in under an hour to Villa. They are a bigger Club than us, and have infinitely wealthier owners. 

Replacement ? The heart says Paul Cook or Michael Duff, but I honestly don't know .... the names slung around by the media, Alan Pardew or Mark Hughes would be unacceptable to the fans, that's for sure ... 

Unless the wages available to any potential manager is uncompetitive, surely an establishing mid table Premier League team could attract better managers than that. Cook has been under fire at Wigan until recently, and Pardew is a no mark, whilst Hughes is well out of touch.

Top win from an under strength Burnley tonight. Hate to give them credit but 8th! Same points as Spurs, above Arsenal and Everton. I wouldn’t be letting Dyche go in a hurry. A top top manager. 

16 hours ago, DE. said:

I agree. Boring ! Next ....