speeeeeeedie

Premier League Stuff

57 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

No Stuart, you are just wrong.

This in response to clubs want money back more than fans.

Ok then. :rolleyes:

6 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

No Stuart, you are just wrong. Clubs, managers and players want fans back in ground. Clubs knows that without fans there it isn't the same. 

Think I am with Stuart on this one. They want money not fans. The fact fans generate money, through what they spend and through creating atmosphere and improving the image of the club/game (therefore improving its appeal, leading to greater revenue), means they may want fans in the ground but only as a means to an ends. Money first, then fans. 

The evidence all supports this. Stupid kick off times highly inconvenient to fans and overly expensive tickets pricing fans out of the game are just two examples that show clubs value money more than fans. 

1 minute ago, Blue blood said:

Think I am with Stuart on this one. They want money not fans. The fact fans generate money, through what they spend and through creating atmosphere and improving the image of the club/game (therefore improving its appeal, leading to greater revenue), means they may want fans in the ground but only as a means to an ends. Money first, then fans. 

The evidence all supports this. Stupid kick off times highly inconvenient to fans and overly expensive tickets pricing fans out of the game are just two examples that show clubs value money more than fans. 

Why did attendances increase over the years if expensive tickets were pricing fans out of the game ?

5 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Why did attendances increase over the years if expensive tickets were pricing fans out of the game ?

Im not sure they have! Compared to the crowds of yesteryear, from my Granddad's time. Terraces were full up and down the country whereas now less so. 

Also am not sure how anyone can say tickets are not expensive and aren't pricing out the working class. An admitted generalisation but think it is very plain to see.  

14 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Have attendances increased ?

21 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Exactly right.

‘Necessary evil’ is the phrase that springs to mind. Very short-sighted really. The clubs who are in tune with their fans tend to be the ones who punch above their weight...

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Im not sure they have! Compared to the crowds of yesteryear, from my Granddad's time. Terraces were full up and down the country whereas now less so. 

Bit of a misconception actually.  League crowds now are at some of their sustained highest levels in the history of the game (well until Covid).

It was the FA Cup that used to bring out those mega crowds in our Grandads’ era a few times a year.

Edited by Mattyblue

12 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Bit of a misconception actually.  League crowds now are at some of their sustained highest levels in the history of the game (well until Covid).

It was the FA Cup that used to bring out those mega crowds in our Grandads’ era a few times a year.

Helpful to know. And maybe holidays too. Remember him telling me all about Christmas Day/Boxing Day crowds being pretty big. 

That said think prices clearly show it is not the working man's game any more. 

As for the FA Cup - blimey what a come down. 

Posted (edited)

Yeah crowds used to really fluctuate. 

Boxing Day... 40,000

Cup 3rd round... 50,000

League game mid January... 15,000

Edited by Mattyblue

On ‎22‎/‎08‎/‎2020 at 15:04, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

He must have got a bang on the head at some point. It sounds like a case of amnesia because he was heard asking the Greek police " Do you know who I am  ? "

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

He must have got a bang on the head at some point. It sounds like a case of amnesia because he was heard asking the Greek police " Do you know who I am  ? "

Like him as a player but that quote says he's a complete blockhead.

Attempted bribery of the police is serious. Hope the Greek courts throw him in jail .  

6 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Attempted bribery of the police is serious. Hope the Greek courts throw him in jail .  

I remember a young lad who'd only just got into the first team at Rochdale coming out with that line when the police pulled him over for speeding. It was printed in the local paper when the case came up and the next time he came on as a sub the crowd started chanting - " Who are ya, who are ya ! "

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

Found guilty...

'Manchester United captain Harry Maguire has been found guilty of repeated bodily harm, attempted bribery, violence against public employees and insult after his arrest on the Greek island of Mykonos'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53903703

Edited by AspRover

1 hour ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Very odd! He should have gone camping in the Lakes.

Somehow I don't think he'll be visiting Greece again.

Looks like Leeds are signing Rodrigo from Valencia. Brilliant signing for them to pull that deal off.

Not sure about Lampards transfer strategy if theres any truth in the Havertz rumour considering that theyve already signed Ziyech and Werner and still have the same keepers and defence barring maybe a still good but soon to be 36 year old Thiago Silva and the overpriced Ben Chilwell. Spending all that money means they have to be title contenders.

10 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Looks like Leeds are signing Rodrigo from Valencia. Brilliant signing for them to pull that deal off.

Not sure about Lampards transfer strategy if theres any truth in the Havertz rumour considering that theyve already signed Ziyech and Werner and still have the same keepers and defence barring maybe a still good but soon to be 36 year old Thiago Silva and the overpriced Ben Chilwell. Spending all that money means they have to be title contenders.

To be fair, Ben Chilwell is England’s best left back, so he’s going to come at a premium.

5 hours ago, perthblue02 said:

Bugger, if Messi is doing his business by Fax, that's us out then.   

2026 somebody discovers a dusty fax machine hidden behind years of cobwebs in the corner of the Owners box, rumour as it it was unplugged by PNE Dell in 2015, they plug it in .....bzzzz bzzzzz paper starts appearing with the Words,

Alright ToMo,

any chance of a run out, can play right back if needed, willing to learn how to play midfield from Richie , 

love Lionel

The haunted fax goes alongside the Icelandic Ash cloud  in Rovers folklore

I'm sure the fax machine has scuppered more than one Roves deal. Was Roy Keane one of them? 

I'd love to see Messi in the Prem but can any team afford him? Suarez has also been cut loose. He's not what he was but he's another who I'd like to see back.

16 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Chelsea and Havertz have been linked for ages. I think that it has legs.

I agree with you on Lampard. He needs a new keeper and back 4. Instead he's hording wide men. Werner will be his central striker. Abraham and Giroud as deputies.

Thiago Silva is still a very good player, but he is a stop gap. Maybe Lampard thinks Tomori will be good enough. Chilwell is a solid player, a definite upgrade on what they have. 

No matter what Chelsea will be exciting to watch.

45 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

I'm sure the fax machine has scuppered more than one Roves deal. Was Roy Keane one of them? 

I'd love to see Messi in the Prem but can any team afford him? Suarez has also been cut loose. He's not what he was but he's another who I'd like to see back.

Roy Keane welshing on a handshake was what scuppered that deal. Kenny was pretty pissed off about that one.

As for Messi, the smart money says he lines up for Barcelona in their first game of the 20/21 campaign.

I can see Messi retiring rather than signing elsewhere tbh.