speeeeeeedie

Premier League Stuff

Just now, Waggy76 said:

Very close to home but £££££ maybe a struggle for Forest. .

He was going to Sunderland about 3 years ago ...till a series of events happenend...

Maybe it is an element of opinion and perception, but I dont understand bar basing it on stereotype, or for us of course a natural dislike of Burnley, why their style of play gets such universal criticism. 

They play direct football but I dont think thats necessarily boring, yet teams scoring less but playing far more passes mainly in their own half such as Brighton and Sheffield United seem to get so much praise for their entertaining style. 

Our fans regularly call for 2 up top and 2 wingers and Burnley do that very effectively in the Premier League, often in your face and direct admittedly.

I do think that many teams try and play from the back when it doesnt suit them, simply because it almost has become what people expect and conform to.

24 minutes ago, bazza said:

For Dyche?  Nottingham Forest. Mark my words.

They seems to be backing their head coach with the signing of Scott McKenna

19 minutes ago, Waggy76 said:

He was going to Sunderland about 3 years ago ...till a series of events happenend...

what happened? was that after Allardyce left there?

15 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Maybe it is an element of opinion and perception, but I dont understand bar basing it on stereotype, or for us of course a natural dislike of Burnley, why their style of play gets such universal criticism. 

They play direct football but I dont think thats necessarily boring, yet teams scoring less but playing far more passes mainly in their own half such as Brighton and Sheffield United seem to get so much praise for their entertaining style. 

Our fans regularly call for 2 up top and 2 wingers and Burnley do that very effectively in the Premier League, often in your face and direct admittedly.

I do think that many teams try and play from the back when it doesnt suit them, simply because it almost has become what people expect and conform to.

I think Dyche get criticism cos he never evolved the style and the type of player he seems. Similar to Pulis at Stoke I guess. Similar to what Hughes did here I guess. Some Burnley fans I worked with have said that he hasn't done this and that his style has a shelve life before fans get bored of it. They aren't get rid cos they respect the job he done and where they were before. But they don't understand why he would the overseas market for more value signings and different type of signings

Dyche has done a good job there but he has been backed by the club financially ever since they got promoted second time around so he can't complain about his funding. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

They seems to be backing their head coach with the signing of Scott McKenna

what happened? was that after Allardyce left there?

I think Dyche get criticism cos he never evolved the style and the type of player he seems. Similar to Pulis at Stoke I guess. Similar to what Hughes did here I guess. Some Burnley fans I worked with have said that he hasn't done this and that type of style has a shelve life before fans get bored of it. 

Dyche has done a good job there but he has been backed by the club financially ever since they got promoted second time around so he can't complain about his funding. 

Why would he evolve the style? The style is currently getting the maximum out of the players they have, and has led to more goals than teams who apparently play more "attractive" football. The most entertaining thing to see is goals. Is playing with 2 natural wingers and 2 strikers "boring?" Is it entertaining to watch a team pass it along the back 4?

Entertaining football is a matter of opinion, but common consensus is that playing from the back, even if your defenders and keeper arent great on the ball and it leads to less goals scored, is the "correct" way of playing. Madness!

If any Burnley fans are genuinely frustrated at the style of play they play, ask them again a year after Dyche leaves. That will be interesting.

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Why would he evolve the style? The style is currently getting the maximum out of the players they have, and has led to more goals than teams who apparently play more "attractive" football. The most entertaining thing to see is goals. Is playing with 2 natural wingers and 2 strikers "boring?" Is it entertaining to watch a team pass it along the back 4?

Entertaining football is a matter of opinion, but common consensus is that playing from the back, even if your defenders and keeper arent great on the ball and it leads to less goals scored, is the "correct" way of playing. Madness!

If any Burnley fans are genuinely frustrated at the style of play they play, ask them again a year after Dyche leaves. That will be interesting.

cos thats what good managers do like Hughes did us with signings to improve the team and make us better team. cos you really say he didn't that on limited budget which Dyche hasn't had? Or Allardyce at Bolton with signings like Anelka, Hierro, etc? 

Also why won't he used the overseas market to find more value signings. What the point bringing Mike Rigg in to oversee the scouting and find more value signings then not used it? really odd?

I would rather watched Brighton under Potter then Dyche at Burnley yesterday. Did you not enjoy Brighton's performance yesterday more than Burnley's performance at Leicester? 

24 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

cos thats what good managers do like Hughes did us with signings to improve the team and make us better team. cos you really say he didn't that on limited budget which Dyche hasn't had? Or Allardyce at Bolton with signings like Anelka, Hierro, etc? 

Also why won't he used the overseas market to find more value signings. What the point bringing Mike Rigg in to oversee the scouting and find more value signings then not used it? really odd?

I would rather watched Brighton under Potter then Dyche at Burnley yesterday. Did you not enjoy Brighton's performance yesterday more than Burnley's performance at Leicester? 

I never "enjoy" watching Burnley play if it involves them doing well. I had a great time watching them in a much more difficult game with their main centre backs missing get beat.

In terms of the style of play they play, Burnleys style led to more goals than Brighton last season. Now we are seemingly force fed the belief that is is entertaining to pass it around the back, I dont agree with that. 

I think you have got evolving a style mixed up with progressing a team. Burnley finished far higher up than Brighton which is the important thing so I would take Burnleys style based solely on that. Football is about results. Although on style, Burnleys style also led to more goals and their direct style is possibly more entertaining IMO than Brighton passing it between defenders if I was to watch it every week.

Bolton is an example from over 15 years ago in a time when playing out from the back hadnt become the new fad, but even then, and even with the sprinkling of legends, they still were often very attritional and direct going up to Davies with Nolan getting knock downs, Okocha even used to take long throws. So it wasnt reliant on wing play and it didnt have 2 forwards, both of which Dyche uses, but the main similarity was that both managers got the very best out of their players and got a lot of criticism for their style mainly from the media but even at times seemingly from supporters for whom constantly achieving the maximum possible became a mundane chore for people who didnt appreciate what they had until it goes.

I think that there is very minimal scope for Burnley to "progress" further than where they are now, bar maybe taking the cups more seriously which is not style related. Playing out from the back would not only be an unnecessary risk that would in all probability be most likely to see them tumble because they dont have the personnel, but I would suspect would also lead to less goals and thus be less entertaining. 

2 hours ago, philipl said:

Are all football teams in the south of England

All the shit ones yeah 😂

56 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I never "enjoy" watching Burnley play if it involves them doing well. I had a great time watching them in a much more difficult game with their main centre backs missing get beat.

In terms of the style of play they play, Burnleys style led to more goals than Brighton last season. Now we are seemingly force fed the belief that is is entertaining to pass it around the back, I dont agree with that. 

I think you have got evolving a style mixed up with progressing a team. Burnley finished far higher up than Brighton which is the important thing so I would take Burnleys style based solely on that. Football is about results. Although on style, Burnleys style also led to more goals and their direct style is possibly more entertaining IMO than Brighton passing it between defenders if I was to watch it every week.

Bolton is an example from over 15 years ago in a time when playing out from the back hadnt become the new fad, but even then, and even with the sprinkling of legends, they still were often very attritional and direct going up to Davies with Nolan getting knock downs, Okocha even used to take long throws. So it wasnt reliant on wing play and it didnt have 2 forwards, both of which Dyche uses, but the main similarity was that both managers got the very best out of their players and got a lot of criticism for their style mainly from the media but even at times seemingly from supporters for whom constantly achieving the maximum possible became a mundane chore for people who didnt appreciate what they had until it goes.

I think that there is very minimal scope for Burnley to "progress" further than where they are now, bar maybe taking the cups more seriously which is not style related. Playing out from the back would not only be an unnecessary risk that would in all probability be most likely to see them tumble because they dont have the personnel, but I would suspect would also lead to less goals and thus be less entertaining. 

And Hughes during his time here who change our style and bought in players like Bellamy, Bentley, Santa Cruz, McCarthy whilst keeping a solid back 4 and keeper. 

Dyche could use the foriegn market more to change that style and evolve it. He wont. 

Potter 1st season at Brighton compare Dyche 5th Premiership season at Burnley. Unfair comparison in my opinion. Potter is building a good solid team who I think will get top 10 this season. 

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

And Hughes during his time here who change our style and bought in players like Bellamy, Bentley, Santa Cruz, McCarthy whilst keeping a solid back 4 and keeper. 

Dyche could use the foriegn market more to change that style and evolve it. He wont. 

Potter 1st season at Brighton compare Dyche 5th Premiership season at Burnley. Unfair comparison in my opinion. Potter is building a good solid team who I think will get top 10 this season. 

I’ve been pleasantly surprised at the job he seems to be doing their. Really enjoyed watching them this season 

3 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

All the shit ones yeah 😂

And Bournemouth got relegated last season! Did you mean Southampton in which case I would agree with you.

West Brom and Fulham already looked doomed. The way Villa struggled to put away Sheffield United despite facing ten for 80 minutes suggest they have not solved their problems.

Burnley need to get their defenders back including Tarkowski (or adequate replacement) and Sheffield United might get rumbled so the shit could be further north...

Palace and Brighton on the other hand both look to have too much about them to struggle.

Personally think that the “refreshing honesty” that Chris Wilder was praised for will get really annoying for Blades fans unless they start picking up results.

“Honesty” turns to belligerent arrogance through a losing lens and I think they’re in for a long, tough season with that squad and no fans/momentum.

1 hour ago, S8 & Blue said:

Personally think that the “refreshing honesty” that Chris Wilder was praised for will get really annoying for Blades fans unless they start picking up results.

“Honesty” turns to belligerent arrogance through a losing lens and I think they’re in for a long, tough season with that squad and no fans/momentum.

Looking at the lack of quality in their signings I think they could go down with a touch of second season syndrome. Their refreshing style of play took lots of clubs by surprise but it seems that opponents have worked out a way to stop the overlapping centre backs.

Wilder got unlucky against Villa but results like that is what sends team down.

Aston Villa are a team you should be beating if you want to survive. Ezre Konsa though - people laughed when I had him in my fantasy football but him, Diangana, Son and De Bruyne this weekend have given me a comfortable 40pt lead already.

I quite like Wilder and Sheffield United and do think they'll survive. They have a good midfield and suspect that will win them games later on in the season. 

Liverpool v Arsenal's KO time has been brought forward 15 mins on Monday to 8pm so it will be finished in time for the pubs to shut at the 10pm curfew,they better hope there's not a lot of injury time or everybody will be getting chucked out before its done 😀

Hold on, I thought nobody will buy relatively small football clubs in the NW and that's why we ended up with Venkys?

In all seriousness, just watch as the dingle narrative starts to shift. Over the last decade they've tried to take some sort of moral highground over us, arguing that foreign ownership is undesirable and that they are meant to be an example to us all with their local ownership, run by 'Burnley folk'. Just watch as that talk starts to disappear as the prospect of spending a few more quid on players gets dangled under their noses.

Personally I'm all for it. Anything that might rock their boat and cause turbulence there. American investors will want their own ideas and returns and it won't take much for things to unravel.

I reckon Garlick is desperate to get shut of them now. He's got chip shop level wealth in the scheme of the Premier League and is incapable of funding them to the level required if the money runs out. I reckon Covid has spooked him and his fellow shareholders and they are eager to offload whilst they have the Premier League status.

Will the Americans want to keep Dyche, or do the usual and try to find some fancy Spanish/Italian manager to play 'the right way'? How many clubs have done that with Big Sam and then looked silly?

10 hours ago, JHRover said:

Hold on, I thought nobody will buy relatively small football clubs in the NW and that's why we ended up with Venkys?

In all seriousness, just watch as the dingle narrative starts to shift. Over the last decade they've tried to take some sort of moral highground over us, arguing that foreign ownership is undesirable and that they are meant to be an example to us all with their local ownership, run by 'Burnley folk'. Just watch as that talk starts to disappear as the prospect of spending a few more quid on players gets dangled under their noses.

Personally I'm all for it. Anything that might rock their boat and cause turbulence there. American investors will want their own ideas and returns and it won't take much for things to unravel.

I reckon Garlick is desperate to get shut of them now. He's got chip shop level wealth in the scheme of the Premier League and is incapable of funding them to the level required if the money runs out. I reckon Covid has spooked him and his fellow shareholders and they are eager to offload whilst they have the Premier League status.

Bad time to buy a club but a good time for the existing directors to cash in.

12 hours ago, JHRover said:

*Shudders*

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Bad time to buy a club but a good time for the existing directors to cash in.

I think that is the plan , I know quite a lot of dingles and the consensus of opinion is the main 2 shareholders  want out ...

There is also a great fear of relegation too ..

Edited by Waggy76

Utd score in the 10th minute of injury time after the ref blows the final whistle. It's like the 90's again.