speeeeeeedie

Premier League Stuff

We’ll see how it finishes re top 4, especially with the incoming 5 sub rule helping the ‘Big 6’

As far as I’m aware the Premier League haven’t yet agreed to 5 from 9 subs. Certainly in the Newcastle v Chelsea game they only each have 7 subs.

2 minutes ago, only2garners said:

As far as I’m aware the Premier League haven’t yet agreed to 5 from 9 subs. Certainly in the Newcastle v Chelsea game they only each have 7 subs.

Despite the big boys bleating about it they didn't get a majority to change the regulation. 

Chris Wilders thoughts:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8972563/Chris-Wilder-slams-Jurgen-Klopp-Pep-Guardiolas-complaints-five-subs-rule-b-ks.html

Another vote coming up on it, I read. Klopp et al believing they now have the votes.

Not sure if it’s symptomatic of football in general as even Rovers aren’t enthusing me as much these days but I’m finding it hard to care whatsoever about the premier league.

The way the games are staggered with only one or two at best on a Saturday 3pm now hasn’t helped 

Actually think the staggering of games is working well for the PL.

Most of the teams are an entertaining watch and so far the League is stunningly competitive.

I'm told Villa v Brighton yesterday was a brilliant game to watch live.

You obviously have a different definition of ‘entertaining’. Constant dives and tactical fouls in an empty ground.

To me Covid era football has shown up the soullessness of the modern top level game that crowds were masking to an extent.

Edited by Mattyblue

Tosin being absolutely mullered by Calvert Lewin today. I suggested last season he was a good footballer but poor defender, that's being proven without a doubt today.

First minute he floats a suicidal 40 yard sideways pass that led to the opener. 3rd goal he's in the 6 yard box marking fresh air while Doucore bags a free header. Apart from that he's all at sea with Everton's clever movement and looks lost.

Wouldn't mind a cheeky loan bid for Joe Bryan in January if we are anywhere near, which i doubt.  Not getting a game at Fulham and would solve our left sided issues 

Burnley have a big chance to steal a march on Fulham and Sheff Utd after today’s results. They both lost the sort of games you look to for points when you’re struggling. Burnley have a similar fixture tomorrow against Palace, and much as I want to see Burnley suffer I simply can’t bring myself to want Palace to win. Glad All Over still haunts me over 30 years later...... 

Edited by oldjamfan1

9 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Burnley have a big chance to steal a march on Fulham and Sheff Utd after today’s results. They both lost the sort of games you look to for points when you’re struggling. Burnley have a similar fixture tomorrow against Palace, and much as I want to see Burnley suffer I simply can’t bring myself to want Palace to win. Glad All Over still haunts me over 30 years later...... 

If Burnley were playing Mars I'd want the Martians to win !

Aliosi** is a shit. He should have gone too, he lent in head first

Ref is conned and takes the easy option, as is usual

** If that is spelt wrongly I most sincerely do not care

Edited by AllRoverAsia

Never a red card for me. Another example of VAR being bad for the game. It is giving cheating divers even more reason to go down at the slightest touch as they know that VAR will look at it and also the refs only ever seem to look at in slow motion which makes everything look worse.

Liverpool are probably going to ruin the fun this season based on that demolition of Leicester.

And they are injury hit as well...

7 minutes ago, philipl said:

Liverpool are probably going to ruin the fun this season based on that demolition of Leicester.

And they are injury hit as well...

And many have been using Rovers injuries as an excuse for our indifferent form...............

I've lost total interest in the Premier League. The cheating that goes on, the diving, the very poor refereeing, and most of all this stupid way of operating VAR.

Just now, bazza said:

I've lost total interest in the Premier League. The cheating that goes on, the diving, the very poor refereeing, and most of all this stupid way of operating VAR.

Funny you say that. I was emailed a Now TV offer of Sky Sports for £20pm this evening. I honestly have no interest in it.

Football is a habit. Get out of it and it gets very difficult to get back into it.

Just now, Stuart said:

Funny you say that. I was emailed a Now TV offer of Sky Sports for £20pm this evening. I honestly have no interest in it.

Football is a habit. Get out of it and it gets very difficult to get back into it.

The trouble is that the laws have been changed to ridiculous proportions. Referees are not allowed to have full authority, even though they may make wrong decisions. Checking VAR every time a goal is scored to see if anyone was offside during the build up is the worst. Hand ball in the penalty area is a farce. Game has been utterly ruined.

14 hours ago, bazza said:

The trouble is that the laws have been changed to ridiculous proportions. Referees are not allowed to have full authority, even though they may make wrong decisions. Checking VAR every time a goal is scored to see if anyone was offside during the build up is the worst. Hand ball in the penalty area is a farce. Game has been utterly ruined.

Good points too.

Petty rules enforced by lengthy video review create longer stoppages. This will eventually mean premium rate advertising ‘space’ during games. The British football-going public won’t put up with it - but as part of the globalisation of football it will be a lucrative business.

Taking this thinking a little further, BCD has made 3pm televised football a thing. It will be interesting to see how this pans out once crowds can go back. Allowing a couple of thousand fans into huge stadia is another bad idea (financially for clubs) so it could create a market for mixed viewing. If you want to go on you can but if you want to watch on TV you can. Clubs could respond by making in-person viewing really cheap to entice people in, while making money of the global TV income. At least for the richer and more populous city clubs.

For this to be workable all it needs is great marketing - which Sky Sports has been to date. In a couple of generations this might be what football is like but instead of 92 teams it may be more like 40 with four 10-team divisions. Made up of the current PL and Championship sides. Everyone else regional. Could happen.

How do Rovers survive in a world like this? PNE, Stanley, Blackpool, Bolton, Wigan would all have to go, creating a bigger catchment area (once the older no-nay-never generations have gone). The alternative is for all to merge under the Lancashire County FC banner...

(Got there in the end ;) )

What has happened to Sheffield United this season? 

Dont look the same team as pre lockdown time. Since lockdown they look a different team now

Looks like there are 3 worse teams than Bunleh in the division sadly