BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Have Venkys won?

With Mowbray's honeymoon period paying dividends with early points - and proving the old adage about fickle football fans - unrest has all but vanished.

The boycotts have kept dissenting voices away from Ewood and 'banning orders' have all but reduced BRFCS to a shadow of its former self, taking in and assimilating with the official board refugees. To an outsider, you'd think that all was well off the field and it was simply a normal relegation battle.

So after half a dozen results the Venkys Out chants have dissipated and talk is of a potential recovery.

Obviously six bad results and we'll have the unrest again but as far as the genuine anti-Venkys feelings, it comes down to the problem of carrying on shouting while nobody is listening, and I can't really see protests being as supported as they have been. Which hasn't been high anyway.

Have they now won the WAR of attrition?

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I personally can seperate long term goals for vital short term ones.

We have to stay up, I don't see how the club can continue to function in League 1. Yes, there may be more cuts in the summer, but I'd rather chance my arm over this next 8 games then just meekly get relegated.

The protests HAVE achieved something this season- there is far more publicity for our plight and I have no doubt they will resume.

But I make no apologies for concentrating on survival this next 7 weeks.

• Backroom

Simply: No.

The war continues underground as protests cannot be seen (whether they truly do or not) to lessen the atmosphere while on a good run trying to avoid relegation.

The decision was taken to keep protests away from Ewood Park, but there is at least one other protest being planned.

You can even see a thread about purchasing Venky's Out stickers!

But if protests continue and we get relegated, those fans will wrongly be blamed and don't wish to be.

As for BRFCS, mods decided to stick to the rules for a while after people started being unnecessarily nasty (in some cases displaying prejudice) over time. After 2 public warnings, some continued and were banned, but some remain and continue to post civilly: job done.

BRFCS is still going to the fan meeting determined to hold the club accountable, so don't think that a lack of voice is a lack of Anti-Venkys feeling.

Trite but neither Venkys nor fans have won. The agents and players have.

In the war metaphor it is only the arms dealers that always win...

As for your other point regarding BRFCS - nice to finally be able to talk football and "politics". Kudos to Mods but certain posters don't/didn't seem to grasp the cocepts of discussion and/or thread topics.

I'd say yes. With all the Fairweather fans gone and boycotters doing just that your left with  through thick and thin fans at the match.  Whilst it's good the team is getting supported in a relegation battle and TM has brought the feel good factor back around the stands it is detracting from the bigger picture. If boycotters don't show up to or outside of games then there is nobody making any noise. The fans inside just want the team to perform well.  We may or may not stay up. The squad will be alot worse come August next year whatever league we are in due to cuts. People will be outraged and worried about the season ahead. Soon as we win the first game of the season it's as you were.

In the long-run if Venkys continue to hold on to the Club with even lower crowds and in an even lower division, then I suppose you could say Venkys have won. But it would be a pretty hollow victory--a shell of a club worth less than nothing and with,who knows how much debt!

There is only one way we could beat them from there and that is to start up a new club.

What have Venky's won? They bought the club, they don't care about it, they seem to care even less that they are reviled. 

The PR war? Probably not, and in fairness they didn't even bother trying. They don't speak. Rovers fans got a bad rep for a while when Anderson and his chums had Sky doing their bidding for them but now most media outlets are firmly on the side of Rovers (and other badly run clubs) fans.

Fickle football fans exist whether a club hates their owners or not. 

I didn't realise this was the official protest board. I thought it was a Rovers forum.  A couple of people joining from the official board really isn't anything to get upset about. The more the merrier. 

Obviously people who wish to discuss things and talk about all aspects of the club will always be missed on a messageboard. But if all they do is harass those that don't conform to their viewpoint then good riddance. We'll not even get started on some of the other things that were posted, especially the pictures. I'm sure there's a place on the internet for those types. 

Rovers need to survive in this league. That's all that matters for the next two months.

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

The boycotts have kept dissenting voices away from Ewood and 'banning orders' have all but reduced BRFCS to a shadow of its former self, taking in and assimilating with the official board refugees. To an outsider, you'd think that all was well off the field and it was simply a normal relegation battle.

Venkys vs fans is too simple of an analogy for me to be bothered discussion, however on your second point;

I personally believe this place is far improved place to post and read again, no coincidence that we've had a few better performances/results. It's actually quite refreshing, the opposite of what you suggest.

Perhaps we come here for different things. I'm actively enjoying less merging of long term/short term gripes, clicky arguments not based on content (just the posters name or post count) and a handful who could not reign in the personal or antiquated political views!

Venkys have won since day one,atm there is a good feel factor because the new manager has brought the club back to life.I for one will not be suprised if TM was not here in August,what we do know is Venkys will be,we have protesters who do not know how to protest.We have many fans who will not protest,and then we have protesters who still go every game.All in all protesting BRFC 2017 is the loser.

No they havent won anything.

But like Mattyblue said it is vital and most important we stay up this season. and for me, That's is all the current matters. we need to stay in the championship this season.

The fans have took to Mowbray straight away and the players have performed. Fans are right behind the head coach and players. The players have apprenticed the fans backing and publicly said so aswell.

All Rovers fans want Venkys gone as soon as possible but sadly for us, they aren't here and not interested in fans views.

Do I feel that a fan protest should happen this season? no I don't. we need all fans behind the team and head coach. I will say this again, staying up this season is most important and IMO, Currently else matters

Chaddy, If that's the case, and fans have taken to TM as you say, and, if he's a "proper football man", then fans ought to tell him how they feel about the "owners", and he should respond in kind.

Shirtfront him, Tell him you like what he's doing,  but don't let him forget that he's got @#/? for an owner.

The LET proudly announce that fans from all sections of the community will be 'paraded' on the pitch before today's game.

The heart and minds campaign in full effect,Smoke n Mirrors <_<

Would like nothing more than the trio of ridiculous Raos to be paraded in front of a firing squad.

Deep breath.......

When they and/or their partners have the club running on an equal income v expense footing in lge 2 and have stripped every asset and mortgaged every other thing they can't strip to get some of their lendings back they might have a club left to sell for 5 mill or leave it bobbling in the background with 1 line manager running it. Holding on for the sake of an odd bit of cup game publicity whilst their agent partners use it for their young players and 3k blindly sit there saying things like 'natural level' , 'give them a chance', 'they are getting ready to rebuild', 'it's all the boycotters fault' 

Then they've won

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

But like Mattyblue said it is vital and most important we stay up this season. and for me, That's is all the current matters. we need to stay in the championship this season.

The fans have took to Mowbray straight away and the players have performed. Fans are right behind the head coach and players. The players have apprenticed the fans backing and publicly said so aswell.

All Rovers fans want Venkys gone as soon as possible but sadly for us, they aren't here and not interested in fans views.

Do I feel that a fan protest should happen this season? no I don't. we need all fans behind the team and head coach. I will say this again, staying up this season is most important and IMO, Currently else matters

Should we protest - you say " no not this season " presumably because our position is so precarious. Do you seriously think next season will be any different or better ?

22 minutes ago, Jbizzle said:

Venkys vs fans is too simple of an analogy for me to be bothered discussion, however

I stopped reading at this point. What a pointless comment - and a clear indicator of the kind of BRFCS that you want: only on your terms.

14 minutes ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

As I watch the JW flag being hoisted up on the side of the Fox n Hounds Pub this morning I think to myself..is this what our protest has been reduced to,this mere token gesture of disillusionment?.

And only by a very small minority of rebels.

Just imagine if a protest was organising during this relegation battle. There would be fights in the stands, fights outside, the atmosphere would be toxic - fans arguing everywhere. 

Any protest at Ewood on match day is unsustainable (imo) until our fate is sealed. At that point, it's back to fair game. 

I'm not going to lie, I really dislike threads like this.

Have Venky's won?

So some fans have actually managed to enjoy a couple of Rovers games and now we're discussing whether the owners have 'won'??

It just seems that it's almost a crime to enjoy anything to do with Rovers for fear of being branded a fair weather fan or Venkys sympathiser.

I will not let Venky's take away one of the things that I care most about. I genuinely had a good time at Fulham on Tuesday and at its simplest, that it was football is about. I want Venky's out as much as anyone but why deprive ourselves of those rare moments that are actually worth enjoying? 

I hate what has happened to this club. We all do. But don't start circling the wagons just because some fans aren't quite as angry as you. People shouldn't have to justify why they turn up to games or enjoy good results. 

Just now, Stuart said:

I stopped reading at this point. What a pointless comment - and a clear indicator of the kind of BRFCS that you want: only on your terms.

If you want a summary on my views on your initial point and thread title, read MagicalMortensleftpegs post as I couldn't be bothered going down the "oh look, another cathartic attention seeking post lamenting others who can see a few positives".

He saved me the bother anyway.

51 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Until we are either safe or relegated the protests should hold off but once we know where we stand then the protests should be ramped up 

2 minutes ago, Jbizzle said:

If you want a summary on my views on your initial point and thread title, read MagicalMortensleftpegs post as I couldn't be bothered going down the "oh look, another cathartic attention seeking post lamenting others who can see a few positives".

He saved me the bother anyway.

Personally I find it a fascinating study of human behaviour that outrage is so short term. It makes a mockery of the whole protest mindset. 

We Want Venkys Out For The Long Term Good Of The Club But Now We've A Decent Shot At Survival Let's Hold Off And See What Division We End Up In First.

It's like a domestic dispute. It's no wonder nobody will align themselves to protests (e.g. WAR patron, Simon Garner).

If we are already down by the time of the last home game, is there going to be a march? Chanting? Tears? What's the point? Because we might have a decent shot at promotion next season and the downward trajectory and cycle of support-protest-apathy.

We are currently in the best period of football under Venkys since Kean scabbdd that win at home to Liverpool that opened the champagne corks for a thousand agents. The time for Venkys to show their commitment is now. If they have any designs on arresting the free fall and making us competitive and asking us to believe, let alone trust, them then the are going to have to put in some transfer funds. Rumours of further wage reductions and cost cuts are the complete opposite and met with only "well we will have to cut our cloth because the fans have walked away" or "we're in League One so it's inevitable".

My challenge to that is, is it really inevitable? Because in my mind it seems very "evitable" indeed. In 7 years, two things have happened, Blackburn Rovers have got poorer and Venkys have got richer.

For as long as we remain quiet, Venkys approach, i.e. keeping their heads down and letting the fans burn themselves out, has been exactly the right course of action:

Light Fuse And Retreat To A Safe Distance

IMG_0521.JPG

• Backroom

I gave up on the fanbase having any sort of sustained impact some time ago. Nowhere near enough appetite within the hardcore elements to even make it remotely viable. The best we can hope for is short bursts of anger after particularly poor runs of results. Even after six plus years the bigger picture still eludes a huge portion of our supporters.

That said, as far as I can tell there are no winners in this as far as Venky's or the supporters are concerned. The only winners have been the agents, and yes, they have won many times over already.

Archived