BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Previous Game: Brentford v Rovers. 7th May

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, had.e.nuff said:

Lets hope Brentford do a Huddersfield and put out their reserves.

I doubt Cheston's budget will allow a fee payment unlike Big Club's

Actually I have no doubt Brentford would decline the envelope. Unlike Huddersfix.

Venkys more likely to demand a full strength Brentford as Barry Bling could stil lose his wager.

The odds on the games on Sunday are quite interesting. At the minute we have Brentford 8/5 to beat us, with us at the same price. Birmingham are 7/4 to win at Bristol City. If we do win and Brum don't, we survive.

I want us to win next weekend and stay up as much as anyone but my anxiety about it is tempered by my absolute conviction that this would simply put off relegation for one season and an ignominious season it would be too. The loanees will be off, Lowe has obviously received an offer, Evans will sign for another club having made a miraculous recovery, young players will be transferred if they can command a fee. It'll be a right Fred Karnow"s Army wearing the famous Blue and White halves in 2017-18. All so Venkys can continue to run us into the ground for their own reasons.

Nothing but nothing will change for the better till Venkys do one. 

Just now, 47er said:

I want us to win next weekend and stay up as much as anyone but my anxiety about it is tempered by my absolute conviction that this would simply put off relegation for one season and an ignominious season it would be too. The loanees will be off, Lowe has obviously received an offer, Evans will sign for another club having made a miraculous recovery, young players will be transferred if they can command a fee. It'll be a right Fred Karnow"s Army wearing the famous Blue and White halves in 2017-18. All so Venkys can continue to run us into the ground for their own reasons.

All spot on and all sadly so true.:(

Being on Sky will make the match a more difficult one as Brentford will be more determined put on a show.  Despite this, I'm going for Rovers to win and, probably, stay up.

22 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Being on Sky will make the match a more difficult one as Brentford will be more determined put on a show.  Despite this, I'm going for Rovers to win and, probably, stay up.

Only probably? 

You were just as convinced as your mate "Coyley" (*spit*) that there would be absolutely no way we would go down.

2 hours ago, Audax said:

Brentford have not lost in 4 games, have won most of their last 9 matches.

http://uk.soccerway.com/teams/england/brentford-fc/722/

3 hours ago, 47er said:

I agree 100%  but I am going ...I was there in 1970 , 1979 and I will be there next Sunday ...

I want to go next Sunday and I have convinced friends of mine to come along as well just don't know if I can handle the worse case scenario.....The anger of the fans, the realisation of getting kicked further in the teeth, I am just don't know if i can do it. Brentford to me are not outstanding but are just very solid. Oh if only we held on at Norwich.......The main threat are Jota and Vibe. We need to keep those two quiet to have a chance of getting a result. Ipswitch are a tough team and seem to be happier playing away from home so I wouldn't be surprise to see them win. Bristol City vs Birmingham is anyone game to win but I imagine it will be a draw there as well. We need to turn up and go for more than a 1 nil win to make sure we survive. 

On 25/03/2017 at 0:53 PM, MCMC1875 said:

Sky TV slowly making a right mess of it.

Used to be all league games finished same weekend with cup final 3.00 the following Saturday.

This season, League 1 finishes a week before the Championship and League 2. Premiership goes on for weeks. No idea why.

The league one play off final is the week before the league 2 and championship final which is why their season finished this weekend. The FA Cup final is the same weekend as the L2 and championship finals. 

The Premier league goes on for another couple of weeks as they don't have the play offs to account for. 

They must have changed it so all domestic football finishes at the same time. 

Just now, Mansfield Blue said:

The league one play off final is the week before the league 2 and championship final which is why their season finished this weekend. The FA Cup final is the same weekend as the L2 and championship finals. 

The Premier league goes on for another couple of weeks as they don't have the play offs to account for. 

They must have changed it so all domestic football finishes at the same time. 

Never done it this way before though?

7 minutes ago, MCMC1875 said:

Never done it this way before though?

No, don't think they have. It's the only logical explanation I can think of.

They've messed around with the cup final date in recent years but was always at least a week or so before the play off finals. 

Generally the Prem finished just 1 week after the football league from memory. 

Just now, Mansfield Blue said:

No, don't think they have. It's the only logical explanation I can think of.

They've messed around with the cup final date in recent years but was always at least a week or so before the play off finals. 

Generally the Prem finished just 1 week after the football league from memory. 

Prem is finishing 2 weeks after Championship and League 2, and 3 weeks after League 1 this year. Summat to do with the play offs??

I've just looked at my programmes from the home games v Brentford in 1973 & 1980.

The 73 prog missed out the "t" and states Brenford.

Team - Jones, Heaton, Arentoft, Turner, McNamee, Fazackerley, Napier, Metcalfe, O'Mara, Parkes, Field.

!980 team - Arnold, Branagan, Rathbone, Kendall, Keeley, Fazackerley, Brotherstone, Crawford, Garner, McKenzie, Parkes

I don't remember Turner in the 73 team?

What a sensational team from 1980. A really great keeper, a back four that served us for years,Kendal and Parkes so solid in the middle, two typical flair player mavericks of that era, a striker on fire that season in Crawford and Garner, the young, hard working protege and future legend. 

Several of these would be in my 1980's team of the decade now I come to think about it, and it rivals my favourite of the decade circa 1988:

Gennoe

Price Mail Hendry Sulley

Gayle Ardiles Barker Sellers

Garner Archibald

In fact, how does this look?

Gennoe

Price Faz Hendry Rathbone

Brotherston Kendall Barker Sellars

Garner Archibald

Subs: Crawford, McKenzie, Gayle.

Some team that and only one player (Garns)was involved in both squads in reality. 

Down on Saturday, home on Sunday, day off Monday to recover one way or the other.

I'll be joined by a former citizen of here who now resides in Dubai who is flying in on Friday and back out Sunday evening just for the match.    That's a real Rovers love affair.

Just now, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

That promotion winning team led by Kendall would have ripped this present lot to pieces,there simply is NO comparison.

I am struggling to think of any Rovers team I have known apart from the one that started our first season in the Third Division in 1971 which wouldn't beat the current "set up".

Archived