BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Previous Game: Brentford v Rovers. 7th May

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is little margin for error from the manager or players on Sunday. Mowbray has to seek the right balance between not conceding whilst trying to score. He has been 'bigging' Danny Graham up so I would expect him to start, initially as a lone striker. The pitch at Brentford is quite small (I have personal experience of this) and as such I expect the midfield area to be congested with Rovers perhaps playing with extra midfielders when out of possesion. Brentford have never struck me a particularly big side so I expect set pieces to be key from our point of view. With Mulgrews excellent delivery I see this as a potential for goals.

Having said that sometimes it just comes down to simply wanting it more than the opposition and tactics and game plans go out of the window.

17 hours ago, Mercer said:

From recollection, Hird and Bailey came to the fore under Jim Smith's reign which began in 1975 after we'd just been promoted from the old Third Division under Gordon Lee.

Jim converted Hird from midfield to right full back with Bailey playing left full back.  Both lads liked to storm forward, often with good effect given their pace.  Hird was very skilful and tricky, a good reader of the game, whilst Bailey was a typical scouser, confident and ebullient.  Some of the football under Jim was great to watch, although kamikaze at times but they were good times with some great memories.  No memory better under Jim than Boxing Day 1977 at 'The Turf' where we won 3-2 having torn them to shreds in the first half leading 3-0 - we then contrived to miss a penalty but hung on in the end with at least 10,000 Rovers' fans on that day.  Anyone remember Keith Fear....................wow, what a debut - don't think anyone knew Rovers had even signed him until he ran out. 

Wagstaffe and Brotherston on the wings too. Both scored at the Dingle Dome on Boxing Day. Gates shut before kick off on for Rovers fans on the Longside, with many then going on the Bee Hole End.   

Looks like Sky for me. Held off to see that it wasn't a dead rubber before commiting to train. Own fault, should have got them after the game on Saturday.

However, fairly annoyed with the club. They repeatedly said that 200 would be on sale 9am Tuesday morning, my mate was at the ticket office waiting for it to open, to be told they 'sold out online over the weekend'. Snapped up by ITKs more likely...

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Warburton, the forest manager, has come out and said he hopes Brentford notice that Huddersfield were fined for playing a weakened squad. 

We won't be getting anything easy, that's for sure. 

Why on earth would he be saying that when they have Ipswich at home who have bugger all to play for?! Appreciate he's ex Bees, but a bizarre comment given who they're playing.

Hoping it will be a terrible season all-round for Warburton.

It would be massively embarassing for Rovers to lose to a Brentford Bee team.

Brentford will not make wholesale changes and why should they. They have had a great season and playing the seasons final fixture at home and will want to put on a show for their fans.

Warburton is scared because he thinks everyone is a Spiv like himself.

Rovers will have to out perform anything they have done so far this season to take anything away from Griffin Park. Expect no favours.

I quite like Forest as a Club ever since the Clough years so my hope is for Rovers, Forest and Bristol City to all win come Sunday and that 'Arry departs Brum with pockets empty. He said he was at Brum for free and I have no reason to doubt his honesty and integrity. :blink: ;)

In theory we should be best placed of the 3 clubs to deal with relegation should it happen.

For starters everyone has expected a season of struggle having weakened the squad considerably and invested next to nothing into the playing squad.

Birmingham on the other hand were pushing for the play-offs under Rowett, made a bizarre decision to get rid of him in pursuit of more attractive football, spent quite heavily in January backing Zola, and probably never imagined for one minute they'd be fighting relegation or could end up in League One next season.

Forest have a big wage bill and again probably never seriously thought they would end up in this position. They haven't occupied a bottom 3 spot all season and whilst they have been poor for large spells haven't really been among the worst in the league this season. Even in January they sanctioned a significant spend with Zak Clough and McCormack arriving to try and see them over the line.

Meanwhile we have been here all season. Some might say the club and owners have set us up for this through their actions over a sustained period. We've been entrenched in the bottom 3 all season since that drubbing against Norwich. 99% of fans expected the worst the minute Coyle arrived and they continued the policy of prioritising quick cash through player sales and no investment over our league status.

The very least we should have is a plan for relegation. It's hardly going to be a surprise or unexpected if we go down is it? It's been a very real prospect since they set us on this course when Lambert walked and they botched his replacement. It was even a prospect last season with Lambert, Rhodes and co. following a lack of investment over several transfer windows.

I could understand disaster unfolding at Birmingham and Forest if they go down as neither will have seriously anticipated relegation and its ramifications until very recently, as neither have been serious relegation candidates until the last couple of months. We've been here all season and expected to be before it began. If we don't have a plan for what happens if we go down it is unforgiveable.

Yet somehow I get the feeling that we'll be in more chaos than the others if we go down. Somehow I expect we won't have any proper plan for relegation and the future except to try and cut more money as quickly as possible with scant regard for the impact on the football side of the club.

Just there allocation is sold out hopefully we can have the away end rocking and really get behind the lads.

I would be dubious about ipswich they are very hot and cold. Could go either way. Bristol will be up for it they lookto have discovered some of their early season form.

All we can do is look after ourselves. One way or another  Sunday will be a nervy one. Plan to take in the sites on Saturday to take my mind off game which won't happen :D

Just now, nathan_rovers1 said:

Also, do we not just have to win by one more goal than them.... really is that simple/ awful! 

No 2, so if forest win 1-0 we need to win 3-0, think we can get that out of our heads, as if Forest win, we need to score at least 3, that won't happen.

Just now, AAK said:

No 2, so if forest win 1-0 we need to win 3-0, think we can get that out of our heads, as if Forest win, we need to score at least 3, that won't happen.

Ahh ok, not out of the realms of possibility, unlikely I know,  I just can't see Forest beating Ipswich. 

10 minutes ago, JHRover said:

In theory we should be best placed of the 3 clubs to deal with relegation should it happen.

For starters everyone has expected a season of struggle having weakened the squad considerably and invested next to nothing into the playing squad.

Birmingham on the other hand were pushing for the play-offs under Rowett, made a bizarre decision to get rid of him in pursuit of more attractive football, spent quite heavily in January backing Zola, and probably never imagined for one minute they'd be fighting relegation or could end up in League One next season.

Forest have a big wage bill and again probably never seriously thought they would end up in this position. They haven't occupied a bottom 3 spot all season and whilst they have been poor for large spells haven't really been among the worst in the league this season. Even in January they sanctioned a significant spend with Zak Clough and McCormack arriving to try and see them over the line.

Meanwhile we have been here all season. Some might say the club and owners have set us up for this through their actions over a sustained period. We've been entrenched in the bottom 3 all season since that drubbing against Norwich. 99% of fans expected the worst the minute Coyle arrived and they continued the policy of prioritising quick cash through player sales and no investment over our league status.

The very least we should have is a plan for relegation. It's hardly going to be a surprise or unexpected if we go down is it? It's been a very real prospect since they set us on this course when Lambert walked and they botched his replacement. It was even a prospect last season with Lambert, Rhodes and co. following a lack of investment over several transfer windows.

I could understand disaster unfolding at Birmingham and Forest if they go down as neither will have seriously anticipated relegation and its ramifications until very recently, as neither have been serious relegation candidates until the last couple of months. We've been here all season and expected to be before it began. If we don't have a plan for what happens if we go down it is unforgiveable.

Yet somehow I get the feeling that we'll be in more chaos than the others if we go down. Somehow I expect we won't have any proper plan for relegation and the future except to try and cut more money as quickly as possible with scant regard for the impact on the football side of the club.

There will be no plan JH.  We have the most arrogant owners who refuse to communicate to the extent there is not a proper management structure in place.  If we get relegated or if we survive, just expect more of the same, just look at their abysmal track record.

In fact if we survive, I am just expecting to be going through the same thing next year, it's sad when all hope is extinguished!

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Looks like Sky for me. Held off to see that it wasn't a dead rubber before commiting to train. Own fault, should have got them after the game on Saturday.

However, fairly annoyed with the club. They repeatedly said that 200 would be on sale 9am Tuesday morning, my mate was at the ticket office waiting for it to open, to be told they 'sold out online over the weekend'. Snapped up by ITKs more likely...

Mate of mine went down at 9a.m. this morning and was tenth in the queue. Tickets were sold out but  I think everyone was told to leave their name and number as there might be some returns and/or the players might make tickets available. Two hours later Rovers rung him to say he had a ticket. 

I'd imagine there might be more returns before the weekend with it being on TV if you leave your details.

3 minutes ago, AAK said:

As winning our match by two more goals than Forest win theirs is the only result that will guarantee survival before a ball is kicked, I hope we don't go too defensive.

Keeping it tight hoping to nick one near the end is absolutely useless if Brum and Forest are winning. In an ideal world we need to be a couple up at half time then we can reassess what we need to do, be it shut up shop or go for another goal or two.

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Mate of mine went down at 9a.m. this morning and was tenth in the queue. Tickets were sold out but  I think everyone was told to leave their name and number as there might be some returns and/or the players might make tickets available. Two hours later Rovers rung him to say he had a ticket. 

I'd imagine there might be more returns before the weekend with it being on TV if you leave your details.

Ticket Office rang my mate as he'd left his details... and we're going!

Oh Christ! :(

Archived