BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Previous Game: Brentford v Rovers. 7th May

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, blueboy3333 said:

Not a bad hobby! I seem to remember one of them living in, or being from, Preston.

Yes, he (Anthony) certainly lived in the area, and we worked at Integrate Supported Housing for people with learning disabilities in the town.

A very nice chap.

Back on topic.

I think that relegation will be decided between us and Birmingham. I think Nottm Forest will play out of their skins to beat a lacklustre Ipswich Tn.

We are relying on Bristol City to beat Brum. Even a draw would be OK. But really, they need to play to win. And I think they will do.

Now that brings our match to the fore. We HAVE to win. If we can only draw we are down.

(Slips into Mercer mode)  I can see our game being 0-0 up to the 70th minute when we take the lead. 20 minutes of backs to the wall hoofball, being pushed further and further back. In added time Brentford equalise and that, my friends, will be that.

That would be typical of our season. After all we have hardly ever been out of the bottom three.

I hope I'm wrong, especially for all the travelling fans.

21 minutes ago, bazza said:

Back on topic.

I think that relegation will be decided between us and Birmingham. I think Nottm Forest will play out of their skins to beat a lacklustre Ipswich Tn.

We are relying on Bristol City to beat Brum. Even a draw would be OK. But really, they need to play to win. And I think they will do.

Now that brings our match to the fore. We HAVE to win. If we can only draw we are down.

(Slips into Mercer mode)  I can see our game being 0-0 up to the 70th minute when we take the lead. 20 minutes of backs to the wall hoofball, being pushed further and further back. In added time Brentford equalise and that, my friends, will be that.

That would be typical of our season. After all we have hardly ever been out of the bottom three.

I hope I'm wrong, especially for all the travelling fans.

I can't see ipswich been to bothered. I do think they will either draw or lose at forest. I can't see them winning. 

Bristol seem to have rediscovered form and will be difficult to beat. 

We need to win to have any chance. A draw makes it between us and forest. One way or another its going to be a nail biter. Nerves have kicked in already. 

Repeating what I've said on other threads to some degree but if we only draw our chances of staying up rest on Ipswich beating Forest away which seems extremely unlikely.

What we mustn't have is a repeat of the Wolves performance and we end up with Birmingham losing or drawing and us going down also drawing without mustering a worthwhile attempt on goal.

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Repeating what I've said on other threads to some degree but if we only draw our chances of staying up rest on Ipswich beating Forest away which seems extremely unlikely.

What we mustn't have is a repeat of the Wolves performance and we end up with Birmingham losing or drawing and us going down also drawing without mustering a worthwhile attempt on goal.

Unfortunately, given what Mowbray has said, this is exactly what I envisage. The chances of winning with a team devoid of pace / creativity & set up to defend are extremely slim.

I've been critical of Mowbray in a couple of the games at home but I think going to GP and trying to out-football Brentford would be footballing suicide. They are slick and would exploit all the space we leave if we try to attack them. We couldn't even cope with Barnsley at home in that regard, Brentford away will be much tougher if they're on it. There's a reason Mowbray bemoaned Barnsley's youth and quickness round the pitch, mainly because we couldn't cope with it.

Defending in numbers and denying them space is the only way I see that we'll get anything on Sunday. We need to try and stay in the game as long as possible. It's fantasy football to think we're going to go there and score 2 and 3 goals away when we haven't done it all season.

I've been critical of Mowbray in a couple of the games at home but I think going to GP and trying to out-football Brentford would be footballing suicide. They are slick and would exploit all the space we leave if we try to attack them. We couldn't even cope with Barnsley at home in that regard, Brentford away will be much tougher if they're on it. There's a reason Mowbray bemoaned Barnsley's youth and quickness round the pitch, mainly because we couldn't cope with it.

Defending in numbers and denying them space is the only way I see that we'll get anything on Sunday. We need to try and stay in the game as long as possible. It's fantasy football to think we're going to go there and score 2 and 3 goals away when we haven't done it all season.

I agree. Going gung ho and conceding early would be like signing our relegation warrant. We have only conceded one goal in the last four games so I am reasonably confident we can defend. I said in an earlier post that I think we will be a real danger to Brentford at set pieces particularly with the delivery of Mulgrew.

Just now, arbitro said:

I agree. Going gung ho and conceding early would be like signing our relegation warrant. We have only conceded one goal in the last four games so I am reasonably confident we can defend. I said in an earlier post that I think we will be a real danger to Brentford at set pieces particularly with the delivery of Mulgrew.

I think that's a bit of a weakness for them from what I've read from their fans so you could well be right.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/15259985._We_have_to_try_and_win_matches_with_what_is_best_for_this_group____Tony_Mowbray_on_his_Rovers_balancing_act/?ref=mac

Honest assessment of the squad. Essentially, they work hard but lack quality and pace in vital areas.

I think this is why ToMo is regarded well at the clubs he's left. He doesn't sugar coat things or engage in mind-numbing 'positive' soundbites.

If your after tickets phone the ticket office every morning at 09:05. I've never not managed to go to a game, people are always sending tickets back.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/15259985._We_have_to_try_and_win_matches_with_what_is_best_for_this_group____Tony_Mowbray_on_his_Rovers_balancing_act/?ref=mac

Honest assessment of the squad. Essentially, they work hard but lack quality and pace in vital areas.

I think this is why ToMo is regarded well at the clubs he's left. He doesn't sugar coat things or engage in mind-numbing 'positive' soundbites.

Yes, that is one of the positives of ToMo.  We have had too much bull from managers over the years and their lame excuses....Bowyer, Coyle, Kidd, etc etc etc.

Sadly our squad is weak and is on target to get even worse unless we blood some of our young and eager talent.

flag_2CH
Brentford FC - Blackburn Rovers 
7/5/2017 12:00

Brentford FC have won by 2+ goals all of their last 4 home Championship gamesth_up2.png

Brentford FC have won at half time all of their last 5 home league matches

Brentford FC have been winning at HT/FT their last 4 home Championship matchesth_up2.png

Blackburn Rovers have won just 4 of their last 24 away matches in all competitionsth_up4.png

Blackburn Rovers have won just 1 of their last 13 away matches in Championship

Blackburn Rovers have won just 2 of their last 11 matches in Championship

Brentford FC have won by 2+ goals 5 of their last 8 matches in Championshipth_up2.png

Both teams scored in 9 of Blackburn Rovers's last 12 away all competitions matches

In 4 of Brentford FC's last 5 games against Blackburn Rovers both teams scored (Championship)

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

Just to clarify, I'm not advocating going gung ho. There's a happy medium.

I've put my Sky 'Request A Bet' in... 2-1 to Brentford, Brentford to be winning at half time, a goal to be scored after 79 minutes. 

You can see it now.. Forest and Brum both losing, 1-0 to Brentford at half time, we score just after half time, miss a host of chances then concede in the 89th minute to relegate us. 

Hi all, been reading this forum for a while, first time poster. Nerves seriously kicking in although i've been predicting this inevitable relegation since August :( I hope to god they've got one more performance in them and it's enough on Sunday

• Backroom

My honest prediction is Birmingham draw, Forest win and we draw and go down.

We simply have to win though, it's massively unlikely that a draw is enough as the one result I can't see is Ipswich beating Forest away 

Just now, MikeRovers said:

Greetings and thanks for posting something positive.:rover:

Lets all hope Prutton has got it right!

I'm going to stay up and watch Fleetwood tonight.

Archived