BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Previous Game: Brentford v Rovers. 7th May

38 minutes ago, preston blue said:

Next season it will be Blackburn Yoof against a few well known hoolies such as :

Oldham Rougheds

Bury Boot Boys

Rochdale Rock Ards

Fleetwood Slashers

and the Wigan Pie Crushers

Like the sound of the  Bury boys.  Where have all the boot boys gone?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back home after a devastating day.

Feeling very numb and looking around the away end at full time it looked as if many of my fellow Blues felt the same. 

7 disgraceful years in which a fantastic club has been utterly destroyed. Jack put together an infrastructure, grew a fanbase, appointed great people at all levels- the third tier should NEVER have been a possibility again for this club. 

What brought it home to me was on the train back, a couple of young Rovers fans came over to us, still full of optimism, hoping we'll have a good season next time. My heart broke for them, they've seen nothing but pain. Jack left a legacy for future generations and these disgusting people have trashed it.

Shame on them.

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Feeling very numb and looking around the away end at full time it looked as if many of my fellow Blues felt the same. 

7 disgraceful years in which a fantastic club has been utterly destroyed. Jack put together an infrastructure, grew a fanbase, appointed great people at all levels- the third tier should NEVER have been a possibility again for this club. 

What brought it home to me was on the train back, a couple of young Rovers fans came over to us, still full of optimism, hoping we'll have a good season next time. My heart broke for them, they've seen nothing but pain. Jack left a legacy for future generations and these disgusting people have trashed it.

Shame on them.

Wonderful post Matty.

Reflecting on it the game many of the players were true to form. 

If Coyle was the most belated change ever, then surely Raya replacing Steele is a close second. Some great shots from the youngster and his kicking has improved a lot too. Why no manager gave him the nod earlier than the calamitous Steele is beyond me. Probably the only bright spot in the team that the keeper situation has improved. Not a huge consolation mind. 

The defense was vintage Rovers. Lots of huff, puff and hard work which limited Brentford at times,  but ultimately they managed to switch off at a crucial moment to let in a very soft goal. Lenihan and Mulgrew are amongst our best players, and yet, along with Ward were napping for the goal, undoing a fair bit of our previous hard work, The effort is there, but defensively we still need to think a lot smarter (that comment goes for the whole team btw.) 

Wing backs, busy but not effective. I don't really get why people like Nayambe - he's fast but little else imo. But given most of our squad has the pace and stamina more appropriate to an old person's home perhaps his pace really is an asset. Again worked hard but not hugely creative. 

The midfield was vintage rovers, working hard but not really breaking up the Brentford play. Looked decent going forward but never disrupt the opposition. We've not had a decent midfield enforcer the entire time we've been in the Championship - which is pretty shocking when you think about it. Why no manager has corrected this is again, something beyond me. At the heart of this was Lowe, who I noticed made a few misplaced passes. The lad summed up his Rovers career perfectly when he ran the ball out under little pressure, having "dribbled" a fair way to do so. Even the Sky commentators noted he got stick from Rovers fans and on this showing it's not hard to see why. 

Gallagher and Bennett were excellent imo and both will be huge misses next season. Gally is my player of the season (pipping others on his versatility and playing numerous positions) and was a constant threat. Bennett too looked dangerous and hard working, and you wonder why he wasn't involved more earlier in the season. 

Graham - not fit at all. Missing his one excellent chance made him a bit of a luxury today and I thought TM was right to sub him. Again a signing who has promised so much, and whilst he's done decently this season, I'm sure goals, fitness and general contribution wise, everyone at the club would have hoped for more, 

Speaking of subs thought TM got them spot on. Joao was busy if limited, but that was what was needed. Emmnes (sp - who cares he won't play for us again) tried to create and was also involved and Conway likewise was busy and involved. I feel that's as good a praise as we are going to get these days, busy and involved but limited, which doesn't make me excited for the future. Gutted Conway's legs have gone as he's a good footballing brain and a wicked cross. In the right team he'd be useful just for his set pieces, and a good impact sub, However, on both counts of a game plan and a squad, Conway won't be sticking around. 

As for Brentford, really wasn't impressed. Their keeper was appalling. Their chap in the centre of the park with a whistle and wearing a different kit to the rest of the team was their best player (seriously I'd be checking the refs bank account/betting slip) and if we hadn't switched off for all their nice passing they weren't all that effective either, and a soft touch for all their attacking play. That they've had a good season speaks volumes of this league. 

Just now, NinjaTattoo said:

Rovers legend.

Wonder how long it will be before we get another Rovers legend...

Seems like just the kind of patron the club needs to head up a consortium bid. I expect his profile would attract the right necessary kind of investors.

Not that it matters either way, but I felt we lost a lot of impetus when Guthrie was subbed, Brentford overtook the midfield from that moment on. As for Brentford's quality, they were halfway to Ibiza already, just as Bristol and Ipswich. 

Just now, Blue blood said:

If Coyle was the most belated change ever, then surely Raya replacing Steele is a close second. Some great shots from the youngster and his kicking has improved a lot too. Why no manager gave him the nod earlier than the calamitous Steele is beyond me. Probably the only bright spot in the team that the keeper situation has improved. Not a huge consolation mind. 

I'll hold my hand up. I thought Raya would have been a bigger liability than Steele but he proved me wrong.

Just now, Blue blood said:

The defense was vintage Rovers. Lots of huff, puff and hard work which limited Brentford at times,  but ultimately they managed to switch off at a crucial moment to let in a very soft goal. Lenihan and Mulgrew are amongst our best players, and yet, along with Ward were napping for the goal, undoing a fair bit of our previous hard work, The effort is there, but defensively we still need to think a lot smarter (that comment goes for the whole team btw.) 

Wing backs, busy but not effective. I don't really get why people like Nayambe - he's fast but little else imo. But given most of our squad has the pace and stamina more appropriate to an old person's home perhaps his pace really is an asset. Again worked hard but not hugely creative. 

The midfield was vintage rovers, working hard but not really breaking up the Brentford play. Looked decent going forward but never disrupt the opposition. We've not had a decent midfield enforcer the entire time we've been in the Championship - which is pretty shocking when you think about it. Why no manager has corrected this is again, something beyond me. At the heart of this was Lowe, who I noticed made a few misplaced passes. The lad summed up his Rovers career perfectly when he ran the ball out under little pressure, having "dribbled" a fair way to do so. Even the Sky commentators noted he got stick from Rovers fans and on this showing it's not hard to see why. 

Gallagher and Bennett were excellent imo and both will be huge misses next season. Gally is my player of the season (pipping others on his versatility and playing numerous positions) and was a constant threat. Bennett too looked dangerous and hard working, and you wonder why he wasn't involved more earlier in the season. 

Graham - not fit at all. Missing his one excellent chance made him a bit of a luxury today and I thought TM was right to sub him. Again a signing who has promised so much, and whilst he's done decently this season, I'm sure goals, fitness and general contribution wise, everyone at the club would have hoped for more, 

Speaking of subs thought TM got them spot on. Joao was busy if limited, but that was what was needed. Emmnes (sp - who cares he won't play for us again) tried to create and was also involved and Conway likewise was busy and involved. I feel that's as good a praise as we are going to get these days, busy and involved but limited, which doesn't make me excited for the future. Gutted Conway's legs have gone as he's a good footballing brain and a wicked cross. In the right team he'd be useful just for his set pieces, and a good impact sub, However, on both counts of a game plan and a squad, Conway won't be sticking around. 

As for Brentford, really wasn't impressed. Their keeper was appalling. Their chap in the centre of the park with a whistle and wearing a different kit to the rest of the team was their best player (seriously I'd be checking the refs bank account/betting slip) and if we hadn't switched off for all their nice passing they weren't all that effective either, and a soft touch for all their attacking play. That they've had a good season speaks volumes of this league. 

And then turned around and blamed Nyambe and anyone else in ear shot. It was embarrassing hearing him talk as the captain at the end. Mumbling clichés and nothingness. I could well see why the players might not take to him as captain. Graham conversely spoke confidently and much more honestly.

Our game plan today worked well. we should have had another penalty after the blatant trip on Conway, as well as Graham's one-on-one that he really should have made the keeper work for. 5-1 would have been dreamland of course but that was the required score to get past Forest. Can't fault Mowbray for this last few weeks - which have coincided with a return to fitness of Lenihan and Mulgrew. We just aren't good enough but those two gave us a solid foundation. With Ward back as well, I'm amazed that we didn't replace Lowe with Mulgrew and give Lenihan and Ward the CB spots. If we had got ourselves ahead we could have rested Mulgrew and brought on Lowe like the squaddie he is. Coyle's legacy to Rovers was making him captain and therefore more difficult to drop - although I wouldn't be surprised to see a contract clause and a big wage.

• Backroom
Just now, Stuart said:

Seems like just the kind of patron the club needs to head up a consortium bid. I expect his profile would attract the right necessary kind of investors.

Absolutely, links all Over Dubai as well 

12 minutes ago, Hasta said:

I'll hold my hand up. I thought Raya would have been a bigger liability than Steele but he proved me wrong.

Another hand going up here I was doubtful but like what I've seen from him he must now stay as no 1. They can get Steele off the payroll straight away for me no point in a ten grand + per week bog average goal keeper in league 1. 

Just as a matter of interest, there is an article in the Guardian on line about our relegation.  The interest bit is you can comment on it, so if you want to get a point over on a national newspaper, it is an opportunity.

You may have to sign up to it but it does not cost anything.

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Shame on them.

If you see elements of this post in future Press Releases please forgive me. There were at least 10 kids under 11yrs old in the Exchange Tavern, Kew Bridge last night with assorted parents and I was pointing out to my friends that the Rovers was a true family Club.

Brilliant post.

54 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Bull. The ref was more on rovers side than theirs. Thought he had a decent game

2 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Bull. The ref was more on rovers side than theirs. Thought he had a decent game

like the hand ball he gave when it hit Lenihan in the face, the blatant penalty he didn't give, an obvious corner for goal kick and only a second yellow for an obvious red? He was a poor ref and clear homer.

What a great effort by the Rovers at Brentford pity we did not see more of this early in the season gutted and cannot believe the Bristol City side I saw at Ewood could not get a draw from Birmingham still I hope Tony Mowbray stays as I for one will be back at Ewood following the Rovers next year. 

Archived