BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Thimbleweed Park

So, if anyone I know playing Thimbleweed Park

As a big fan of the old school Scumm games like Monkey Island, DooT, Sam & Max and Full Throttle, it should be an easy choice for me, but I just can't imagine it working well these days.

Does the humour still seem as funny?

As they still as infuriatingly hard or are they dumbed down for the modern gamer?

Have they tackled that these days, most players don't have the patience to puzzle solve when they can just google the solution?

All thoughts appreciated.

Great find, Glenn! I absolutely love those old-school SCUMM point-n-click adventure games, and I can't believe I haven't noticed this one. I'll definitely be getting it on Steam.

Nothing has ever come close to Monkey Island 1 and 2 for me (can you tell?). I did try The Cave on and off over the last several years. I had it on the Xbox when it first came out, but that sort of game on a console just didn't sit right with me. I bought it on Steam for £6 last year. It's good value for money, and the game is OK, but it just doesn't keep me glued to it like Monkey Island did. I much prefer simple point-n-click, rather than awkward keyboard controls.

There aren't many new games in a similar style, but others off the top of my head (from years gone by) include:

• Grim Fandango
  • Day of the Tentacle
  • Zak McKracken
  • Broken Sword 1 and 2

I remember hating Monkey Island 3 at first, with it's 2D cartoon-style graphics, but it really grew on me very quickly. It's definitely up there in my list of all-time favourites. Monkey Island 4 was tragic, as was Broken Sword 3. Keyboard-only controls, if I recall, and hideous 3D graphics to boot. I've got all of the Monkey Island 5 chapters, but haven't even tried them yet.

Broken Sword 1 and 2 are good, but they lack the humour that could go with it, and the main character is on the irritating side.

I've played Grim Fandango recently, but I just can't get into it. I admit to getting so stuck that I had to Google a walk-through to get me past a certain point. At that stage, I feel guilty and defeated, so I just haven't gone back to it for a while.

Hmm... I'm being critical of those games, but Monkey Island just set a bar that, for me, has never been beaten.

14 hours ago, Glenn said:

So, if anyone I know playing Thimbleweed Park

As a big fan of the old school Scumm games like Monkey Island, DooT, Sam & Max and Full Throttle, it should be an easy choice for me, but I just can't imagine it working well these days.

Does the humour still seem as funny?

As they still as infuriatingly hard or are they dumbed down for the modern gamer?

Have they tackled that these days, most players don't have the patience to puzzle solve when they can just google the solution?

All thoughts appreciated.

You ignored my question the other night, stole it and made it a BRFCS thread! Swine!!!

I caved

I bought it

I love it

Seems a lot less tricky and random as some of the Scumm games (or maybe I just haven't got to the tough bits yet) and the humor is very similar.

I'm not sure how it'll stack up for people not brought up on Monkey Island though.

I've got the Monkey Island games to keep me occupied for now (going through the remastered version from start to finish for starters!), so I'll wait and see if Thimbleweed Park goes into a Steam sale.

These games... :wub:

I think im in part 3 too now. The map has opened up, Ive got 5 playable characters and a hundred things on my to do list. Solving puzzles across multiple characters is pretty cool. It reminds me of Monkey Island 2 when all three islands open up. 

If you ever come grinding to a halt and need a hand try this:  http://philome.la/IndieGames_Muso/tiny-incremental-hints-for-thimbleweed-park

Its not a walkthrough per se. The first hint is always just a gentle nudge.

I'm really enjoying this however I must admit to my counselor that I have cheated a little bit. Most of the puzzles make absolute sense but there have been a couple of things, like in Monkey Island, that are just bizarre. Things i would never think of unless I had tried every combination of every item on every person or thing. And that's not easy when you have 5 characters to play with.

For my shame I played on this until 1am last night and I had to drive to Coventry today. Bit tired now.

19 minutes ago, Biddy said:

For my shame I played on this until 1am last night and I had to drive to Coventry today. Bit tired now.

Just use the root beer with the syringe and you'll be fine.

Archived