BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Bamber Bridge Coffin Ceremony

Guest Wen Y Hu

Here's Bishop Tuson's speech in full:

Oh Walker, Jack Walker, Walker

Look down on your team from the heavens above, be proud Jack Walker, for what they have done

I bless thee one and all in the name of the bitter, and of the mild, and of the Holy lager

This team I said was far too slow, did not like it down below

The humiliation of going down, came then the strength they have found

To ascend the Premier League Blackburn Rovers have returned

The other teams are nowhere to be seen, for Blackburn surely are the cream

In the wake they are scattered across the land, for Rovers had the upper hand

Preston tried and Preston failed to climb the mountain that Blackburn scaled

Someone said we should not celebrate this tradition we started in 48.

But we shall march on through the Brig and have this day as we always did.

Down Station Road, you know the rout, people will cheer it, car horns will hoot

You have come from near, you have come from far, to see Blackburn Rovers as they are

So nothing will stop us, the young and the old, from celebrating as we have been told

Things of kind, tender nursing care will benefit from your people out there

It all goes to charity from ten pence to a pound, there is nothing comes out and there is not a sound

From the drivers, the Bishop, the nuns and the band we all do it for free and I think its right grand

And so we march down this little village down yonder, up there, and back to the Withy’s

There is football tomorrow, and a grand tug of war, it’s on Brownridge field in case you aint heard.

There will be people from far and wide, who come to watch the seven-a-side

It will be a grand do just like today and for years to come you people will say, when Blackburn went up to the Premier League, I was in Brig on July the 14.

And what a grand do and what a good show, the coffin was blessed by the Bishop you know

And forbid that it never go down below

And so you good people with heads held high walk through the Brig at Blackburn Rovers side

I bless you all in the name of the bitter and of the mild and of the Holy lager, go in peace, enjoy your day

Amen.

Didn't someone mention that we were supposed to be playing North End in their 'Guild cup' celebration?....PNE/Rovers/Hearts/AEK.

I just wonder if Preston plod put the skids under one that one too...Tafkap your opinion would be welcome for a change!

OPinion on what? The muttered rumour of a PNE v Rovers friendly, or the Brig burial being cancelled. Oh and don't be cheaky you.

Just a thought - is Andy Cryer's missus the lady who does the local am-dram/theatre reviews for the Lancs Telegraph? Is it worth asking her to find us a Rovers supporting thesp to be the 'priest'? And whilst we're at it, should we ask if she knows anyone who could write a few lines of the 'sermon'?

The only one I can think of who could probably write a good sermon is Bob Fleming.

Doesn't this speak volumes about the ridiculous lengths the "Elf Ann Safety" mob will go to these days? *shakes head sadly*

How long has this tradition been going, ffs? I used to have [i lost it during the course of moving house] a sort-of Memorial card from 1971 when our relegation into Division 3 coincided with Knob End's promotion [under Alan Ball Snr] back to Division 2. I don't remember any trouble and that was at a time when fans of both clubs had an interest in the ceremony - I seem to remember a report on "Look North West" on BBC1 on the Monday evening

Doesn't this speak volumes about the ridiculous lengths the "Elf Ann Safety" mob will go to these days? *shakes head sadly*

How long has this tradition been going, ffs? I used to have [i lost it during the course of moving house] a sort-of Memorial card from 1971 when our relegation into Division 3 coincided with Knob End's promotion [under Alan Ball Snr] back to Division 2. I don't remember any trouble and that was at a time when fans of both clubs had an interest in the ceremony - I seem to remember a report on "Look North West" on BBC1 on the Monday evening

Since just after the war apparently.

Speaking of the war..... Not to worry though it'll never happen again cos the Health and Safety Exec will simply never allow another World War. Various Risk assessments will render it just too damned dangerous so everybody will just have to stay home and be nice.

.... The biter bit being that those feeble buggers continually remind us all that most accidents occurr in the home anyway. :wacko:

Just as an aside a young relative is dead chuffed cos he's in line for the supreme top shop floor job at his company which will allow him to work virtually anywhere ... He's being sent to complete a H&S course. Pathetic isn't it?

Edited by thenodrog

This has to be one of the most pathetic idea's ive ever heard in my life

Really?

Personally I think it's a great idea, and would thank Dawn and Steve for their hard work on organising this. It's a real shame to lose traditions, no matter how silly they are. I presume all pubs in Brig will be shut this weekend just in case someone gets drunk?

Personally I think it's a great idea, and would thank Dawn and a number of BRFCS people for their hard work on organising this. It's a real shame to lose traditions, no matter how silly they are. I presume all pubs in Brig will be shut this weekend just in case someone gets drunk?

Changed it for you Baz, I've done practically nothing in all fairness.

Faecbook event for it - http://www.facebook....42122799240332/

Please show if you're coming (to give Dawn an idea on numbers) and advertise, shout, share it whatever so we can get as many people as possible aware of it.

Too old & set in my ways to be on Facebook or Twitter or any of that stuff!

Would love to be there but can't get over and back on public transport - sorry; will be with you in spirit.

To date 112 people have indicated to us in various forms that they are coming. Thank you very much for that - it really helps with the planning. If anyone else gets tempted over the next week, I'd be really grateful if you could also let me know.

For those who are definitely coming, have you thought about joining in the traditional fancy dress? It's usually 'funeral attire' but over the years many weird and wonderful costumes have been seen, too. We're bringing some prizes for children who come dressed up in anything they like.

Yes. A good couple of hours. I dragged Mrs bazza to the show (she doesn't follow football). She thought it was well done and enjoyed herself after all.

Well done to the organisers and perpetrators.

PS I see you didn't get a photo of me, Clare. Never mind, hey. Might have broke your camera :)