BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Bamber Bridge Coffin Ceremony

Guest Wen Y Hu

• 4 years later...

Is anyone in contact with the folk in Bamber Bridge who used to organise the coffin ceremony?

I know the last one wasn't allowed to happen on police grounds (so we organised one from the Fox and Hounds to The Aqueduct) but those were different times, noticeably the protests were at their peak and people's anger was far less controlled.

The right place for the ceremony is Brig and I really don't want us to organise it again (though @EwoodDawn and 90% of the work) but I also don't want the tradition to die out. 

So, in case the worst should happen (and we're going to need a miracle to prevent it) is anyone able to check with the Brig folks if they're looking to bring it back.

• Like 1

Woody is the man to speak to at Brig.

The last coffin ceremony held at Brig was the raising of Preston's coffin. The committee liaised in advance with South Ribble Borough Council and Lancs police. They made it a charity event and stewarded the procession from The Hob Inn, down Station Road, stopping at the Trades Club where the coffins are lowered to or raised from the cellar, to School Lane and back to the Withy Arms where the coffin was put on display.

Edited by MCMC1875

Sadly that day was marred by drunks hence there being 7 riot vans lurking on station road. Which was almost blocked with the amount of street drinkers outside.

Thats why we couldnt have one because the nobends buggered it up

Edited by Rover_Shaun

4 hours ago, Rover_Shaun said:

Sadly that day was marred by drunks hence there being 7 riot vans lurking on station road. Which was almost blocked with the amount of street drinkers outside.

Thats why we couldnt have one because the nobends buggered it up

Shaun I'm referring to Preston's 2015 coffin raising after promotion to the Championship.

Just now, TAFKAP said:

Briggers are like that on any warm sunny weekend day. United v Liverpool on TV on a warm sunny day = same trouble. 

Never been a warm sunny day in Bamber Bridge I'd wager

Edited by Gav

Can we not start a gofund me page and have a coffin delivered to the FA with a big plaque on it "Blackburn Rovers Football Club , Murdered by" listing themselves, their former business partners Kentaro, the former FA employees who worked for Kentaro , their protected Barnet Rat , Good old FA man Burnley Bob ,and of the course the "fit and proper "slumdogs from pune and all others that have played their part in our demise, 

Edit , did not realise that custom printed cardboard coffins are easily available :)

Fill it up with as many copies as can be got hold of ,of the brochure that was put out recently , could be good publicity if organised/timing is right.

Edited by perthblue02
  • Like 8

Still got that ruddy coffin from 2012 in my shed and I'm hoping to goodness not to get it out any time soon. It's actually a lot harder to organise than you'd first imagine, an event like that. We really tried to get it at Brig and whilst some of the committee were really helpful, the majority weren't for having us, mainly on strong police advice. Then the amount of paperwork, meetings with the police, health and safety stuff to hold it 'at home' was just barmy. But I don't want to think about that just now. And hope to goodness not to this year.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Time to resurrect this Thread? 

A great opportunity for Rovers fans to get together and gain a bit of media attention over the summer months?

If nothing else a fantastic local quirky footballing tradition.

• Like 2

This got brought up a few weeks ago, but I think as there has been one in Brig since then (the police must have mellowed a bit) it's only right it continues there. It was always their tradition, we were just a temporary home whilst the police were making life hard in Bamber Bridge

Plus, a 20 page risk assessment, event insurance,  2 coppers, 3 St Johns asd a mountain of paperwork to walk 200 yards with a styrofoam coffin isn't something I want to put people through again if possible

• Backroom
2 hours ago, Steve1 said:

Tom your posts recently are coming across as x rated :D

Banned him so hard..need a deeper hole..

You love it 

• 2 months later...

The plan as of last Thursday when I attended a meeting in Bamber Bridge, is to held a scaled down event on 30th July. There will be no procession, or large scale event as per the last Preston one with road closures and  floats and so on.

The plan is to get the original Rovers coffin from the Trades Hall pub, then take it from pub to pub, with events inside each pub. The coffin is to be ferried around in a longish private vehicle, and it to be taken into each pub taking part. I should know timings and venues in a weeks time or so, once the licensees who wish to be involved in the events have declared their interest in being involved.

This just takes out all the H&S, road closures, marshaling/policing requirements which have been the stumbling block all along. The aim is to withhold the long standing tradition, and for the pubs of BB to earn a few quid too, so all Rovers fans are urged to support the day. Short train ride from Mill Hill etc!

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Rovers relegation 'Coffin Burial' 'and associated shenanigans is this Sunday, July 30th. Noon start at The Hobb Inn Bamber Bridge.

9 Church Rd, Bamber Bridge, Preston PR5 6EP

The coffin then taken to most other pubs in Bamber Bridge, with approx half an hour in each.

Bamber Bridge is a direct train ride from Blackburn , Mill Hill, Cherry Tree etc.

Should be a great day out...pubs putting entertainment on I'm told. 

21 minutes ago, Ozz said:

Rovers relegation 'Coffin Burial' 'and associated shenanigans is this Sunday, July 30th. Noon start at The Hobb Inn Bamber Bridge.

9 Church Rd, Bamber Bridge, Preston PR5 6EP

The coffin then taken to most other pubs in Bamber Bridge, with approx half an hour in each.

Bamber Bridge is a direct train ride from Blackburn , Mill Hill, Cherry Tree etc.

Should be a great day out...pubs putting entertainment on I'm told. 

Well organised Ozz. What sort of entertainment? Will there be any strippers? Cheers in advance. 

• Like 1