BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Bamber Bridge Coffin Ceremony

Guest Wen Y Hu

1 hour ago, Hanks said:

Just spotted a post on Facebook from Rovers Trust, Rovers Trust - The Official Supporters Trust of Blackburn Rovers FC

Rovers Trust - The Official Supporters Trust of Blackburn Rovers FC
Yesterday at 16:57 · 
The traditional coffin raising ceremony which follows a Blackburn Rovers promotion season is due to take place on July 22nd in Bamber Bridge, subject to Police approval.

The organising committee are looking for volunteer marshals to help with the events on the day, and The Trust are appealing for people to help. Please contact us via oliver.jones@roverstrust.co.uk if you can help, or just DM this account.

Subject to Police approval. It needs volunteers urgently to act as marshalls or police could deny the road closure orders. 

• 4 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, Rover_Shaun said:

Just seen the road closure notification signs for this outside the withy arms in Brig from 10am onwards.

Can anyone expand on the order of events?

Sorry. Cannot expand etc. But I've seen the signs and the day is Sunday 22nd July.

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Me and the missus wandered through Brig on the day. I saw at least 3 new Rovers shirts. The local undertaker, Ian Wilde, provided a hearse and one car. The mayor of South Ribble was in the car decked out in his chain of office.  The first float had a group, "PR5",  playing. They were very good but one of their songs was "Take me home, Station Road". Station Road is the main road through t'Brig. The tune, unfortunately, is a Man Utd song.

The second float had some lovely dancing girls. I think Bamber Bridge FC had a lot to do with the organisation and it went really well. I didn't see any North End shirts. In the past there was always a good mixture of supporters for these events.

The hearse collected the coffin from The Trades Hall where someone read out a speech. The coffin was then transported through the village and back to The Withy Arms where it lay on display.

My wife commented that there weren't as many Rovers supporters as when the coffin was carried from The Fox and Hounds to The Aqueduct. She enjoyed that occasion. I explained that Brig is not Blackburn.

But, I'm glad that the old tradition has been resumed. Let's hope another resurrection, maybe a double one, takes place next summer. :rover:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bazza said:

Me and the missus wandered through Brig on the day. I saw at least 3 new Rovers shirts. The local undertaker, Ian Wilde, provided a hearse and one car. The mayor of South Ribble was in the car decked out in his chain of office.  The first float had a group, "PR5",  playing. They were very good but one of their songs was "Take me home, Station Road". Station Road is the main road through t'Brig. The tune, unfortunately, is a Man Utd song.

The second float had some lovely dancing girls. I think Bamber Bridge FC had a lot to do with the organisation and it went really well. I didn't see any North End shirts. In the past there was always a good mixture of supporters for these events.

The hearse collected the coffin from The Trades Hall where someone read out a speech. The coffin was then transported through the village and back to The Withy Arms where it lay on display.

My wife commented that there weren't as many Rovers supporters as when the coffin was carried from The Fox and Hounds to The Aqueduct. She enjoyed that occasion. I explained that Brig is not Blackburn.

But, I'm glad that the old tradition has been resumed. Let's hope another resurrection, maybe a double one, takes place next summer. :rover:

Just to add Bamber Bridge amateur rugby league club carried the coffin. Took about an hour and a half in total walked back to the Hob Inn for a pint before catching the bus back to Whittle

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rogerb said:

Just to add Bamber Bridge amateur rugby league club carried the coffin. Took about an hour and a half in total walked back to the Hob Inn for a pint before catching the bus back to Whittle

Thanks for that. I saw lots of rugby lads as well. I should have mentioned them.

• 3 months later...
On 26/10/2018 at 10:18, Mattyblue said:

Just heard ont wireless that Adrian Chiles’ show on 5 Live will be doing a piece on the ceremony some time this morning.

It will be on catch up at some point, I’m sure.

Did this happen ? , Any links to articles, interviews, audioboomage or whatever ?

1 hour ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Did this happen ? , Any links to articles, interviews, audioboomage or whatever ?

Yes! There was a feature from about 11:45am to noon on Friday on BBC Radio 5 Live (Chiles on Friday show). Catch up here:  https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0000vgh

As 4000 Holes reported on the Coffin Raising in Issue 92, the show producer approached us and we managed to get them in touch with the "Bishop of Brig" who conducted the ceremony. He makes an appearance on the show. Simon Garner is also on the phone.