BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Election called for 8th June

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, dave birch said:

At least I'm not wimpish enough to hide behind a a made up name.

I've always put my name up front. You?

Bald Eagle?

Indeed.

Paul You know who I am, and I you, we don't need to hide behind pseudonyms.

Exactly and, in my view, is how it should be. 

• Moderation Lead

I'd be happy to put my full name on and I suspect lot on here already know it, anyhow! A lot of people have worked out my identity from my username already.....

At least I'm not wimpish enough to hide behind a a made up name.

I've always put my name up front. You?

WTF has that got to do with anything tough guy? What would you do if you did know my real name? I merely stated you would not like someone making an obvious joke because you would then have to work yourself up into a frenzy of moral outrage, which is probably quite tiring.

Well done on the use of your real name all the way over there on the other side of the world.

Just now, Paul said:

Exactly and, in my view, is how it should be. 

Why? If someone wants to protect their anonymity that's up to them. There are many reasons for wanting to do that. If the site owners on here deem that someone is pursuing an obvious agenda, being abusive or threatening, or is breaking the law in some way then they can ban them. If the latter warrants it they can inform the police.

It could be said that using your real name is a bit 'look at me all over social media pontificating and airing my oh so important views, I'm all over facebook and twitter too, aren't I ace', But then I wouldn't be so ignorant as to assume such a thing;)

Erm, chaps. We've been trying to let this flow, but today of all days, lets focus on the politics, not the personal battles. 

[Edit :- But on the subject of anonymity, if anyone cares, I wrote a blog post a while back on why I use my real name online (clue: it's nothing to do with ego). It was intended for the InfoSec (good-guy hacker) community so is a bit tech-focused, but it gives you some insight into my thinking - http://glenn.pegden.com/2017/02/16/online-anonymity-privacy-and-risk-evaluation/]

Anyway, rain in the North, not in the South. A much quieter feel at my local polling station than other years. I suspect this isn't going to be as closed as I'd hoped.

Also, for one last time, can I rant about the insanity of our voting system?

I have two local candidates, one I think does a reasonable job of being a local representative, but I despise what he party stands for at a national level, another who has proven to be a ruthless self-serving goit on the local council, but got my vote because nationally I think his party will do a much better job of running the country.

Isn't it time we did away with "local representation". I mean, other than grabbing some local-rag space by saying they brought up "local issue x" in Parliament (first thing on a Tuesday, when there are only 10 people in the chamber and 6 of those are there because it's somewhere quiet to sleep off their hangover) how many local MPs actually make positive changes to their local constituencies (hell, in a lot of cases, they only visit their constituencies during elections)? It's also insane the ONLY MP who I can contact to represent my personal views in Parliament is my local one, whether they understand and agree with them or not. Should we not be free to contact any MP who actually shares our views and understand our specific situation, not be limited to the one who happened to stand for election closest to our house?

It's ironic that the majority voted against AV+ (which I wouldn't want to settle for anyway, I want full PR) and only when we say UKIP get a considerable percentage of votes and next to no representation, did people suddenly get how unfair and impractical our current situation is.

I think a friend's Facebook post sums up my feelings today

"Voted. We're on the Titanic and too many people are shouting "let's head straight for that iceberg" but I ticked the option that called them a bunch of knobs."

26 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

I'm fully expecting a Tory win tbh.

The fact that people could even empathise with multi-millionaires crying about having to pay more tax in a fairer system, when the money recouped from said taxes would help those same people, just shows how little some people are willing to think for themselves.

The hypodermic needle theory, which I initially thought was a little harsh, turns out is bang on the money.

As ever, everyone should remember they're voting for policies, not people.

That's the thing- they're not thinking for themselves. If they were they'd be voting for the policies that would benefit them.

I post under a nom de plume but anybody who wants to know who I am just PM me.

Make sure you get out and cast your vote today. We may be choosing between a bunch of cronies, but at least we can choose our cronies, which is something that many of our parents and grandparents fought for with their lives.

Make it count.

Just now, Phil T said:

Make sure you get out and cast your vote today. We may be choosing between a bunch of cronies, but at least we can choose our cronies, which is something that many of our parents and grandparents fought for with their lives.

Make it count.

Well said

• Backroom
20 minutes ago, Glenn said:

Erm, chaps. We've been trying to let this flow, but today of all days, lets focus on the politics, not the personal battles. 

[Edit :- But on the subject of anonymity, if anyone cares, I wrote a blog post a while back on why I use my real name online (clue: it's nothing to do with ego). It was intended for the InfoSec (good-guy hacker) community so is a bit tech-focused, but it gives you some insight into my thinking - http://glenn.pegden.com/2017/02/16/online-anonymity-privacy-and-risk-evaluation/]

Anyway, rain in the North, not in the South. A much quieter feel at my local polling station than other years. I suspect this isn't going to be as closed as I'd hoped.

Also, for one last time, can I rant about the insanity of our voting system?

I have two local candidates, one I think does a reasonable job of being a local representative, but I despise what he party stands for at a national level, another who has proven to be a ruthless self-serving goit on the local council, but got my vote because nationally I think his party will do a much better job of running the country.

Isn't it time we did away with "local representation". I mean, other than grabbing some local-rag space by saying they brought up "local issue x" in Parliament (first thing on a Tuesday, when there are only 10 people in the chamber and 6 of those are there because it's somewhere quiet to sleep off their hangover) how many local MPs actually make positive changes to their local constituencies (hell, in a lot of cases, they only visit their constituencies during elections)? It's also insane the ONLY MP who I can contact to represent my personal views in Parliament is my local one, whether they understand and agree with them or not. Should we not be free to contact any MP who actually shares our views and understand our specific situation, not be limited to the one who happened to stand for election closest to our house?

It's ironic that the majority voted against AV+ (which I wouldn't want to settle for anyway, I want full PR) and only when we say UKIP get a considerable percentage of votes and next to no representation, did people suddenly get how unfair and impractical our current situation is.

In fairness to Ukippers, PR at the last election would have benefitted just about every party bar the Conservatives.

I also feel PR would allow for greater cross-party collaboration, which would by definition support the views of more in the country.

This is a fairly safe prediction.

Low turn out= huge Tory win

Huge turn out= low Tory win/hung Parliament

One little twist- May going early means this election is being contested on year 2000 boundaries. That means Tory held constituencies have on average 2,000 more voters than Labour held constituencies. Tories need a popular vote lead of over 3% to scrape a Parliamentary majority.

I suspect the same evil dark forces which inflicted Brexit, Trump and even the surprise Cameron win will produce a May landslide today. 

Just now, philipl said:

This is a fairly safe prediction.

Low turn out= huge Tory win

Huge turn out= low Tory win/hung Parliament

One little twist- May going early means this election is being contested on year 2000 boundaries. That means Tory held constituencies have on average 2,000 more voters than Labour held constituencies. Tories need a popular vote lead of over 3% to scrape a Parliamentary majority.

I suspect the same evil dark forces which inflicted Brexit, Trump and even the surprise Cameron win will produce a May landslide today. 

The sun may be shining over there Phil but it's peeing down here in Rochdale. Having said that if a bit of rain puts you off exercising the tiny bit of democracy you get every five years you deserve all you get.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The sun may be shining over there Phil but it's peeing down here in Rochdale. Having said that if a bit of rain puts you off exercising the tiny bit of democracy you get every five years you deserve all you get.

Apparently it is forecast to turn nice in the evening up north. Traditionally, that is when the Labour vote turns out.

Seriously hot here in Malta all of a sudden. Too hot to eat outside yesterday which is unusual for early June.

22 hours ago, Tom said:

So the Conservatives are going to rip up the human rights bill when they already have at their disposal all the legislation to arrest the terrorists and plotters in the UK.

What will this mean to everyone in the future ?

Will a European passport be of more value to life over a British one when this deed is done ?

Just now, JAL said:

So the Conservatives are going to rip up the human rights bill when they already have at their disposal all the legislation to arrest the terrorists and plotters in the UK.

What will this mean to everyone in the future ?

Will a European passport be of more value to life over a British one when this deed is done ?

It's very worrying but I like to think it's just the usual electioneering type bullshit to appease the Daily Mail readers and it'll all be forgotten next week.

16 minutes ago, philipl said:

Apparently it is forecast to turn nice in the evening up north. Traditionally, that is when the Labour vote turns out.

Rain has stopped, sky clearing and sun struggling through in the Chorley area.

At our admittedly very small polling station I saw three young people. First time I can recall that in a while. 

Archived