BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Election called for 8th June

For the millions of car owners going into this general election, is, the timing of talking about privitising the railways from the Labour party really an issue to attract extra voters right now.

It's like the Jason Lowes of politics ......sideways, backwards... fails to win.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, JAL said:

For the millions of car owners going into this general election, is, the timing of talking about privitising the railways from the Labour party really an issue to attract extra voters right now.

It's like the Jason Lowes of politics ......sideways, backwards... fails to win.

It is if your journey to work is a shambles every day.  My son has this problem with the railway commute and the service is appalling.

4 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It is if your journey to work is a shambles every day.  My son has this problem with the railway commute and the service is appalling.

Will it put any political party in a winning position with this kind of agenda though.  

Massive own goal by the Tories today with their "dementia tax". May has at one stroke alienated her right wing press and her own right wing and given Labour a large amount of ammunition. Dilnot is rubbishing their long term care plans which really are ill thought out rubbish.

The Daily Mail readers will be choking on their cornflakes this morning. No winter heating allowance, no more triple lock on pensions !

One thing I'm surprised nobody has latched on to. I worked for 18 months past the man's retirement age of 65. I was amazed to find out that I no longer had to pay national insurance contributions.  I would have been happy to carry on paying as long as I was working. Given the number of people working on past retirement age these days I think we're missing a trick.

I do get the impression that the people of this country are fed up to the back teeth of austerity. Years of cuts to services, health, education etc,etc - and still they're telling us it's now going to last until the middle of the next decade, when according to the government it would all have been sorted in the next couple of years. 

It hasn't worked has it. Cuts on their own with nothing being put back in, no investment hasn't worked. It's hard to ignore the feeling that austerity fell right into the lap of a government that's fundamentally against state provision.

A decent opposition would walk this election. 

It does seem like the Tories are trying everything possible to give labour a fighting chance and I think it's working. I know so many life time Tory voters who are seriously considering voting labour.

As Den said, a serious opposition would walk it. 

7 minutes ago, den said:

I do get the impression that the people of this country are fed up to the back teeth of austerity. Years of cuts to services, health, education etc,etc - and still they're telling us it's now going to last until the middle of the next decade, when according to the government it would all have been sorted in the next couple of years. 

It hasn't worked has it. Cuts on their own with nothing being put back in, no investment hasn't worked. It's hard to ignore the feeling that austerity fell right into the lap of a government that's fundamentally against state provision.

There's method in their madness regarding the winter fuel payments. If a few pensioners freeze to death it's less pensions to pay out. What's the betting the means testing apparatus costs more than the money they'll save ?

They'd been waiting for an opportunity to trash the welfare state every since the mid sixties. The economic crisis was what they'd been waiting for all that time. Of course the gullible fell for it hook line and sinker. How long have they been cutting ? They're no nearer sorting the economy out now than they were in 2010, in fact they could be further away.

In 2010 the economy was just showing signs of starting to recover thanks to the measures Brown and Darling had put into place. All the Tories needed to was leave things alone for a year or two and see how things were going. The jumped in with both feet with the Austerity Plan and it's been downhill ever since.

12 hours ago, den said:

Really? 

I think plenty of people are fed up of keep paying taxes after they are working hard for their wages. 

Labour policies are going to need alot more tax raises and increase then they have said. Or it will just keep adding to the debt.

We need to spend money within our means. Thats what alot of people and families have to do live within their means. You need to budget and save money during the good and bad times

19 hours ago, Biddy said:

Has anyone else received the letter from Theresa May this morning? Or is it just us lucky constituents of Bolsover? 

What a complete waste of money.

No I received one of those a few days ago. Left me absolutely seething. I know it's junk mail but how dare she feel she can address my wife and I personally as though we are friends. 

I object very strongly to having these personal attacks on Corbin shoved through my door. The whole thing is written to suggest I don't have the intelligence to understand the issues. 

If any confirmation was needed of the scheming, lieing individual who will lead the country for the next five years this is it. 

Incensed. 

6 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Really? 

I think plenty of people are fed up of keep paying taxes after they are working hard for their wages. 

Labour policies are going to need alot more tax raises and increase then they have said. Or it will just keep adding to the debt.

We need to spend money within our means. Thats what alot of people and families have to do live within their means. You need to budget and save money during the good and bad times

If you want to live in a civilised society it's got to be paid for. I paid plenty of tax all my working life at higher rates than people pay today and I never begrudged paying  a penny.

In other posts you infer either you or members of your family have had health issues recently. Whose hands do you think your health service is safest in ? Labour or Tory.

7 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Really? 

I think plenty of people of fed up with underfunded health service and social care, schools that don't rely on donations from parents for exercise books, and undermanned police and underfunded armed forces, including a new aircraft carrier that won't have any aircraft.

You have a choice: pay a little more tax and have decent public services or a little less tax and the same old Tory mixture of private wealth and public squalor. 

Governments aren't households. Economies expend through debt, spending and investment. 

8 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Really? 

All parties raise tax Chaddy. The Tories lied to us last time out when they said they wouldn't raise VAT, then did. What's your views on their dementia tax and their refusal to commit to not raising taxes again this time around? What's your opinion on them finding tax reductions only for the rich? Is that OK?

but yes, people are becoming delusional about austerity - and rightly so given where we are.    Governments HAVE to invest in the "right areas" - that's the key.

• Backroom

We are at a point where all tax bands need to go up imo. Decent public services for all (as has been our unwritten social contract since WW2) must be the priority, and not 'keeping more of what I earn'.

I'm sick of seeing so many 'I'm alright Jack' attitudes from my fellow man. What happened to being decent people instead of selfish?

13 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Alan Sugar is backing the Tories after years of being Labour supporter. 

Multi-millionaire objects to upping tax on rich people shocker?

Besides he spends most of his time in Florida now, from what I gather.

5 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If you want to live in a civilised society it's got to be paid for. I paid plenty of tax all my working life at higher rates than people pay today and I never begrudged paying  a penny.

In other posts you infer either you or members of your family have had health issues recently. Whose hands do you think your health service is safest in ? Labour or Tory.

I think the Tories are better with the health service. Lets not forget that it was under Tony Blair and Gordon Brown that they starting using private health care sector within the NHS.

I have used the NHS since birth regular and have family and friends who worked within the NHS and social care sector right now.

I spoke to my GP a few years ago when the Tories decide to put GP's in charge he was very much in favour of it. I spoken to my missus's Surgeon a few months back and he said the biggest problems are lack of beds due to size of the wards and hospitals. down to size of building when it was built. Also said the NHS need funding much more than people are predicting it will need. due to demand and staff needs. Don't forget back in 2015 the NHS chief said he wanted 10 billions extra and Cameron back that. But the NHS does need more funding and b bigger size hospitals that can deal with the demand in 10 or 20 years time.

If MP's were honest about the why taxes were going up and it would be deffo used for this purpose most ppl would back it I would think(I deffo would). But people don't trust MP's from whichever party they are from.

I don't trust Corbyn one bit or the Labour party. That's one major factor in my vote. Don't agree with some of politics either.

I see the Labour party has the party for unions and developing policies for the unions not the normal Bristish tax payer

5 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

I think plenty of people of fed up with underfunded health service and social care, schools that don't rely on donations from parents for exercise books, and undermanned police and underfunded armed forces, including a new aircraft carrier that won't have any aircraft.

You have a choice: pay a little more tax and have decent public services or a little less tax and the same old Tory mixture of private wealth and public squalor. 

Governments aren't households. Economies expend through debt, spending and investment. 

what do you called a little bit more for a family earning 30 k? paying 4k in income tax and around 1.5k in national insurance. Plus a mortgage and bills to pay aswell

4 hours ago, den said:

All parties raise tax Chaddy. The Tories lied to us last time out when they said they wouldn't raise VAT, then did. What's your views on their dementia tax and their refusal to commit to not raising taxes again this time around? What's your opinion on them finding tax reductions only for the rich? Is that OK?

but yes, people are becoming delusional about austerity - and rightly so given where we are.    Governments HAVE to invest in the "right areas" - that's the key.

Well My income tax under the Tories government has gone down and rightly so.

I earned between 20-30k a year bracket with a missus who earns about 10k a year. and just about to join the House buying market in a the next few months

I just been reading about their dementia tax just now as Ive been very busy with a new job and working nights.

what do you claim is rich? 80k a year? cos I don't that rich at all depending on different circumstances of people all round the country

In all honest I think People are delusional with Politics and everything. just look at the amount of people who don't vote

34 minutes ago, Mike E said:

We are at a point where all tax bands need to go up imo. Decent public services for all (as has been our unwritten social contract since WW2) must be the priority, and not 'keeping more of what I earn'.

I'm sick of seeing so many 'I'm alright Jack' attitudes from my fellow man. What happened to being decent people instead of selfish?

Maybe you should be telling people who worked hard all week and have families at home that they should be paying more than.

• Backroom
44 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Maybe you should be telling people who worked hard all week and have families at home that they should be paying more than.

I tell anyone who'll listen. But they're all selfish tossers, it would seem.

'Why I should I pay more tax for someone else's healthcare just because I earn more?'

Or words to that effect. The traditional British social ideals (even among many Tories post-War) are that you pay to ensure we are ALL safe, we ALL get quality health care free at the point of use, and ALL children get a free education.

The Tories are determined to get rid of that so that the wealthy get the care and education they can already afford anyway, while the rest of the UK can rot for all they care.

I can't stand Corbyn for many reasons, but his politics are more affordable than the Tory ones being put forward, and are also with a view to keeping those at the bottom safe.

You mention that you have spent a lot of time in hospital for various reasons recently and (forgive me if I'm out of order) I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would vote for a party that has seen many hospitals and health centres close or be rendered inadequate.

I agree that the solution is to get rid of middle-managers in the NHS but it was the Tories who put them there instead of investing in the education and development of the NHS workforce.

It's the same in education. Academies are great when they work. But unlike state-funded schools, it only takes the man at the top to decide he doesn't fancy paying money in for whole villages and towns to be without schools for our children.

Look at everything that's wrong with the governance of football. That's where the Tories want to take our public services.

57 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

1. I think the Tories are better with the health service.

2 . what do you called a little bit more for a family earning 30 k? paying 4k in income tax and around 1.5k in national insurance. Plus a mortgage and bills to pay aswell

3. Well My income tax under the Tories government has gone down and rightly so.

1. Comedy hour. 

2. Had your council tax bill lately ? In the past few months, the Tories have shifted social care costs on to local authorities, so your council tax will be going up dramatically in coming years. So yes, lower taxes are wonderful, except the Tories will be taking the money out of your pocket by other means.

3. Which Tory govt ? The current one has been in power for barely a year; the previous one was more than 20 years ago. In the past 12 months average pay has risen less than inflation, so you're worse off than 12 months ago.  

Just now, Mike E said:

Look at everything that's wrong with the governance of football. That's where the Tories want to take our public services.

We're already there. Free market economics and everything for sale - including our historic football clubs.

Tory neo-liberal philosophy has destroyed the working man's jobs and his past-times. 

Archived