BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Election called for 8th June

I apologise in advance for my extreme cynicism, but this atrocity has come at the perfect time for Theresa May.

It has destroyed the momentum from the rival parties, taken all attention away from her horrific performance the other day, as well as her "Italian Tank" like manifesto (that's a decent joke, if you get it).

Also gives her the opportunity to redefine her "strong and stable" leadership, with her so called decisive decision to put the military on the streets (the true validity/ necessity of which, we'll never know).

Of course the real emphasis should be on why, in an age when we trade all privacy in exchange for security (access to messages/ camera/ microphone amongst others), some young scumbags were able to develop highly powerful explosives in the comfort of their own home.

Let's hope she's called to task on this.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Glenn said:

Let's not forget, this happened on her watch and only a few weeks ago she was using intelligence sharing on terror suspects as a bargaining chip in the Brexit negotiations.

I wish she would do a TV debate. I think Corbyn would hang her high and dry.

29 minutes ago, Glenn said:

Let's not forget, this happened on her watch and only a few weeks ago she was using intelligence sharing on terror suspects as a bargaining chip in the Brexit negotiations.

She clearly just didn't use the correct hashtags on social media <_<

2 hours ago, Batman. said:

I apologise in advance for my extreme cynicism, but this atrocity has come at the perfect time for Theresa May.

It has destroyed the momentum from the rival parties, taken all attention away from her horrific performance the other day, as well as her "Italian Tank" like manifesto (that's a decent joke, if you get it).

Also gives her the opportunity to redefine her "strong and stable" leadership, with her so called decisive decision to put the military on the streets (the true validity/ necessity of which, we'll never know).

Of course the real emphasis should be on why, in an age when we trade all privacy in exchange for security (access to messages/ camera/ microphone amongst others), some young scumbags were able to develop highly powerful explosives in the comfort of their own home.

I agree. As well as taking 22 innocents lives and ruining the future for untold other victims this will turn out to be a hammer blow against our democratic system. The terrorist's timing was spot on to do the most damage.

We need to get the show back on the road.

Manchester is a big blow for our much-vaunted security services - supposedly one of strong points in the coming Brexit negotiations.

The right wing press would crucify Labour if they tried to make political capital out of it but May would be equally wrong to keep plugging the strong and stable leadership rhetoric when this atrocity has happened on her watch.

5 hours ago, Batman. said:

It will be interesting to see how this shakes out.

The Madrid bombings arguably tipped the scales in the Spanish elections shortly after it. Will the Manchester attack dominate the next few weeks?

It's s tricky one. May thought she had it wrapped up. She also thought it was Brexit II. Now is security paramount? All issues should be taken into account when voting.

I think it will make the election harder to predict.

• Backroom

I think we will see a coalition government, but please don't ask me who. I reckon it's about an even split among people I know re: who they intend to vote for.

Can't believe that the media aren't having a pop at Theresa May and her government for allowing this atrocity to happen whilst having armed soldiers take to the streets of Britain in the run up to a general election.

Is there any video of the alleged suicide bomber out there for confirmation !

Manchester has certainly taken the steam out of Labour's momentum from a few days ago when May was on the ropes and floundering over social care.

May will brief Nato leaders in Brussels on Thursday on international terrorism followed by a meeting of the G7 in Sicily when she will lead the debate on terrorism. Like it or not, she will be portrayed by the media as "strong on security" etc, with the prepared speeches that are her forte. 

I'd agree it's come at a opportune time for May, but it's just good fortune.

I can't see anything bar a Tory win, but if it's a limited majority, that's the best thing to keep the Tories on their toes.

Just noticed this thread, glad to see you hooligans :D haven`t been taken in by the establishment. After everything that has gone on over the last 7 years I truly hope we get Labour back in power, Toriesa May getting back in will ruin us all.

6 hours ago, rhodie said:

Just noticed this thread, glad to see you hooligans :D haven`t been taken in by the establishment. After everything that has gone on over the last 7 years I truly hope we get Labour back in power, Toriesa May getting back in will ruin us all.

I might be getting on a bit but I haven't lost my marbles yet. You only need eyes that see to realise that under all the popular press @#/? she's a lightweight who's flaky under real pressure.

Looks like the Conservatives have conceded Bolsover already :D

My options are:

Labour - Dennis Skinner - Lives within my town

Lib Dems - Ross Shipman - Lives in Ripley 

UKIP - Philip Rose - Lives the other side of Mansfield

Conservative - Helen Harrison - Lives in Northamptonshire!!!!

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/may/26/conservative-labour-tax-spending-plans-ifs-general-election-manifesto

Says Labour would raise taxes to the highest levels in peacetime. And its taxes on the rich and businesses wouldnt rise anything like the taxes they said

Under the Tories it would be another 5 years of austerity 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/may/26/conservative-labour-tax-spending-plans-ifs-general-election-manifesto

Says Labour would raise taxes to the highest levels in peacetime. And its taxes on the rich and businesses wouldnt rise anything like the taxes they said

Under the Tories it would be another 5 years of austerity 

Funny you should mention the IFS Chaddy.

in February this year, they stated that under Theresa May the overall tax burden is set to rise to its highest level for 30 years.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02/07/uk-tax-burden-will-rise-highest-level-30-years-ifs-warns/

why didn't you mention that?

Just now, den said:

Funny you should mention the IFS Chaddy.

in February this year, they stated that under Theresa May the overall tax burden is set to rise to its highest level for 30 years.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02/07/uk-tax-burden-will-rise-highest-level-30-years-ifs-warns/

why didn't you mention that?

Just seen what IFS say on Sky News..

Didnt know about the other stories..

So the question of the day

Do people want less taxes and cutbacks or more taxes for everybody and more borrowing and spending?

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Just seen what IFS say on Sky News..

Didnt know about the other stories..

So the question of the day

Do people want less taxes and cutbacks or more taxes for everybody and more borrowing and spending?

The labour manifesto is no tax raise for 95% only top 5% unless I'm mistaken.

Youve also asked a closed question. I want a fairer society for all, if that means more taxes then so be it. I don't, however, want more cuts to health, education and services.

More austerity = more old people dying unnecessarily in winter, more A&E closures, less nurses, less doctors, less police, poorer public transport systems. I cannot vote for that.

Just now, Biz said:

The labour manifesto is no tax raise for 95% only top 5% unless I'm mistaken.

Youve also asked a closed question. I want a fairer society for all, if that means more taxes then so be it. I don't, however, want more cuts to health, education and services.

More austerity = more old people dying unnecessarily in winter, more A&E closures, less nurses, less doctors, less police, poorer public transport systems. I cannot vote for that.

The IFS says those taxes will only 41billions maybe even less..so why the other coming from? 

Plus its likely less jobs will be created and prices will go up so hitting everyone. 

Archived