BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Election called for 8th June

Just now, BaldEagle said:

Telling jokes about violently assaulting female politicians might seem harmless enough banter to you, and hilarious to your mates, but every implicit, and in your case explicit, acceptance of violence allows it to flourish.

Is it only specific to violence or do we include the same request for an apology from those responsible for all the nasty Dianne Abbott comments here, and in many other places on the internet?

After all, she is a female politician, the first black female MP in this country.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where we live they've taken every last one of the old street lights in the town down and replaced them with new ones. The new lights are about as much use as a glow worm in a bottle. From being quite a well lit road it's now almost pitch dark outside my house and those of my neighbours. All in the cause of energy saving apparently.

Well I have to say Corbyn has given many people a glimpse of a different kind of politics, it's been refreshing. All this whilst the tories continue to rob Milibands policies and look more like new labour by the day!

The best anyone anti Tory can hope for is a hung parliament, so fingers crossed for just that.

43 minutes ago, BaldEagle said:

I’m not sure what one issue has got to do with the other. Racist language is never acceptable – but then nobody is arguing that it is. Neither is hateful, misogynistic, or threatening language. Excuses like “it's the kind of thing I've heard many times” and ‘it was a tongue-in-cheek’ doesn’t make it right.

Telling jokes about violently assaulting female politicians might seem harmless enough banter to you, and hilarious to your mates, but every implicit, and in your case explicit, acceptance of violence allows it to flourish.

Your language - on a public discussion thread about UK politics - helps transmit the kind of atmosphere where violence is acceptable. Eventually, as we saw with the case of the MP Jo Cox, someone gets hurt.

If either you, or Paul, had anything about you, you would accept that your language was unacceptable, and apologise.

Ha, no mate I won't apologise. You'll just have to live with it.

totally nuts.

My gut says Labour and SNP will leave the Tories with a minority government.

My head says the Tories will win

My hope is for Jeremy Corbyn as PM. Tonight I do feel a little like I did on May 2nd 1997 - looking forward with hope.

Just now, Paul said:

My gut says Labour and SNP will leave the Tories with a minority government.

My head says the Tories will win

My hope is for Jeremy Corbyn as PM. Tonight I do feel a little like I did on May 2nd 1997 - looking forward with hope.

A majority of 60 for the Tories in my view. ?

Maybe im just trying to take away the disappointment beforehand?

Trouble is den I can't stop feeling excited at the prospect of a Labour victory even though I know it's highly unlikely. 

Things really could change this time. 

I'd settle for a small Tory majority of less than 20, so at least May would have to consider her Brexit negotiations.

Similar to Paul I'd love a Labour win, but if young people come out to vote, then we could see a minority Tory government, or coalition. I just doubt it though.

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

We're going to spend £350m a week on streetlights now that we've got our country back.

I wont believe you until I see it in writing,  preferably in huge letters on some kind of transport. 

I have a mate who's a public sector worker. He hasn't had a pay rise for 6 years. He voted by post. He voted Tory. I told him that on Friday he will have to get his three kids together and inform them that Christmas is cancelled because daddy is a fecking idiot and has just voted not to get a pay-rise for another 5 years.

Unfortunately he had fallen for the Trident, IRA BullShyte. He admitted as much. Yet he hates the fact the NHS is underfunded and that one day soon he will have to start paying for it at point of service and that he never sees police on the streets anymore.

The mind boggles.

On 05/06/2017 at 22:36, Hasta said:

As you say, Suspect is the key word. The laws should allow someone who is suspected to be involved in an imminent attack to be taken 'off the streets' whilst it is investigated fully. If that is 14 days or 28 days so be it. The ramifications of waiting too long until evidence is there are obviously tragic. If that's in breach of some people's liberties then fine. If it involves intruding in people's privacy then fine by me.

The problem with wishing away civil liberties or rights is that, whilst it sounds ok when you're talking about someone else, you have to be prepared to lose those same liberties or rights yourself. 

Now, just for a minute, suppose that instead of the common identifying factor for those carrying out these attacks being race or religion, it was something equally spurious and ultimately unconnected to their ideology, like, say, sport. Imagine that all of those carrying out heinous attacks were identified as football fans.

Now we all know that there are a number of nutters and wrong uns who attend football matches. But, equally, we all know that the vast majority are decent, hard working, law abiding folk. The authorities have a list of suspected terrorists, which definitely contains a lot of the nutters, but which may also contain some of the other group,  potentially even you, your dad/brother/son or friends you attend the match with.

Maybe someone overheard you talking about your dislike for the dingles, got the wrong end of the stick and reported you for planning an attack on Emmerdale. Or perhaps some asshat with a grudge decided to report you to cause you trouble - whatever - you find yourself on that list, despite there being no crime committed, no real evidence, just a suspicion.

In that scenario, would you be happy for your civil liberties to be taken away, to be detained indefinitely, knowing that some genuine bad guys had also been taken off the street, or would you prefer the authorities to investigate thoroughly and determine the bad guys from the good guys before they started locking people up?

• Backroom
7 minutes ago, Husky said:

I agree. Hanging them all would be in everyone's best interests.

Bloody hell, you'll have the bald eagle on you for that one!

1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

I have a mate who's a public sector worker. He hasn't had a pay rise for 6 years. He voted by post. He voted Tory. I told him that on Friday he will have to get his three kids together and inform them that Christmas is cancelled because daddy is a fecking idiot and has just voted not to get a pay-rise for another 5 years.

Unfortunately he had fallen for the Trident, IRA BullShyte. He admitted as much. Yet he hates the fact the NHS is underfunded and that one day soon he will have to start paying for it at point of service and that he never sees police on the streets anymore.

The mind boggles.

Unbelievable but sadly all too common - there are hundreds of thousands like him who are taken in by the media campaign against Corbyn yet cannot see that voting Tory will never be in their own interests.

I expect a comfortable Tory win; the best I think we can hope for is May ending up with a similar very small majority and effectively not having a mandate to govern the country or lead the Brexit "negotiations", forcing her resignation.

6 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

The mind boggles.

"If it's on my iPhone, it must be true."

The problem with democracy is that it needs transparency to work, because General Public are far too lazy/ stupid to see through the constant of string of lies fed to them by the politicians/ media.

After all the unpredictability of the last few elections, I expect today to develop into a damp squid, with a fairly conclusive Tory win.

In five years General Public will be moaning about all the lies they were told, as they embark on absorbing the next set of lies. The only group of people never to take the blame for all of the decisions they make.

My heart says it could be close. My head says too many of the electorate can't think for themselves and will fall for the Sun and Mail lies.

It's a shame but if people are stupid enough to vote directly against their own best interests they deserve all they get.

I'm really enthused by the number of young people the Corbyn campaign has brought to the Labour colours. Let's hope they get active in politics.

7 hours ago, Baz said:

I wont believe you until I see it in writing,  preferably in huge letters on some kind of transport. 

Let's turn the street lights off and get out self respect back. 

With the money saved we could make the daily mail a free newspaper, free fox hunting uniforms for the under fives, and nuke north Korea 

• Moderation Lead
7 hours ago, Husky said:

I agree. Hanging them all would be in everyone's best interests.

*Sits back and waits for people to be outraged*. (I'm not BTW).

• Moderation Lead

I'm fully expecting a Tory win tbh.

The fact that people could even empathise with multi-millionaires crying about having to pay more tax in a fairer system, when the money recouped from said taxes would help those same people, just shows how little some people are willing to think for themselves.

The hypodermic needle theory, which I initially thought was a little harsh, turns out is bang on the money.

As ever, everyone should remember they're voting for policies, not people.

Archived