BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Election called for 8th June

Just now, 47er said:

Canterbury was a great one. Richmond Park was a sickener.

Rudd could well be the next leader. Who else is there? Boris will be in for it but would make a better clown.

I can't see it being Amber Rudd given the narrowness of her majority. If we do have another election the Tories can't risk losing their leader.

Boris is a buffoon but he's also a very nasty person. I have no doubt what so ever that he will be plotting his succession as we speak.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Batman. said:

What a deaperate, despicable woman. Scramble around begging for seats in N. Ireland and then straight to the Queen to ask to form a Government.

Obviously doesn't dare face the people.

I can't wait for her crucifixion.

The DUP are the last people you would want to form a coalition with.

According to the TV May is going to the Palace without a Cabinet meeting first. Very foolish.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I can't see it being Amber Rudd given the narrowness of her majority. If we do have another election the Tories can't risk losing their leader.

Boris is a buffoon but he's also a very nasty person. I have no doubt what so ever that he will be plotting his succession as we speak.

She is capable though and who else is? Her high profile as PM would surely see her re-elected?

For Labour's sake I hope it is Boris. For the country's NOT!

The Tories are ruthless and understand power. They're still in Downing St thanks to the DUP so they will form a government.

Then they will axe May because she's damaged goods and has no mandate after last night's result.

Who takes over doesn't matter overmuch to them because although May personally lost the election, they won and still hold the reins of power, and could be in for another 5 years. 

I'm terribly disappointed. Corbyn did well, but not well enough. 

Another point: Tories won 42% of the vote and Labour 40%, yet FPTP delivers a Tory margin of victory over Labour of nearly 60 seats.

If / when Labour ever get a decisive majority, electoral reform should be top of the agenda.  

Another thing.

The DUP is a very right-wing party. Opposes gay marriage, opposes abortion rights, had to be dragged to the negotiating table with the North's nationalists, fully in favour of 'one nation' Brexit.

To me, this coalition looks like a hard Brexit wet dream, predicated on a non-existent mandate. Theresa May lost the election, the Tory platform failed, the people rejected a hard Brexit proposed in the Tory manifesto.

What do you have to do exactly to reject the hard Tory Brexit and the 'weak and wobbly' Theresa May ? Open a vein ?

• Backroom
1 hour ago, J*B said:

With a U-Turn like that Chaddy HAS to be a parody account. I won't believe anything else.

Bring back

THE CHADDOMETER

• Moderation Lead
Just now, jim mk2 said:

Another thing.

The DUP is a very right-wing party. Opposes gay marriage, opposes abortion rights, had to be dragged to the negotiating table with the North's nationalists, fully in favour of 'one nation' Brexit.

To me, this coalition looks like a hard Brexit wet dream, predicated on a non-existent mandate. Theresa May lost the election, the Tory platform failed, the people rejected a hard Brexit proposed in the Tory manifesto.

What do you have to do exactly to reject the hard Tory Brexit and the 'weak and wobbly' Theresa May ? Open a vein ?

Maybe not- http://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/who-dup-brexit-stance-manifesto-13161338

Just now, jim mk2 said:

The Tories are ruthless and understand power. They're still in Downing St thanks to the DUP so they will form a government.

Then they will axe May because she's damaged goods and has no mandate after last night's result.

Who takes over doesn't matter overmuch to them because although May personally lost the election, they won and still hold the reins of power, and could be in for another 5 years. 

I'm terribly disappointed. Corbyn did well, but not well enough. 

Another point: Tories won 42% of the vote and Labour 40%, yet FPTP delivers a Tory margin of victory over Labour of nearly 60 seats.

If / when Labour ever get a decisive majority, electoral reform should be top of the agenda.  

The problem is Jim which ever party has a decisive majority they immediately lose all interest in FPTP and in the case of the Tories start to re shuffle the electoral map in their favour.

Your analysis is sobering but for today I'm going to bask in the glory of Labour turning the tide. It'll feel the same if and when Rovers are promoted from out of what I still call the old 3rd division.  There's a long way to go but we are finally moving in the right direction.

I'm encouraged by the way the young people of the country have embraced electoral politics and that can only be good news for the left. I'm also encouraged by the huge swings to us in London.

You are correct when you say we need to re enthuse more former Labour voters in the Northern half of the country.

My concern is that many people voted Labour not because they liked Corbyn or Labour but because they understandably disliked May intensely and could not trust her after so many U-turns. Johnson's a buffoon in my eyes but for some reason is popular with many people - if there is another election soon and presuming he is Tory leader then that will be the real test of whether the swing voters have embraced Corbyn and his policies.

So as the dust settles on another humiliation for the Tories and a desperate May tries to pull together a coalition of chaos, it should not be underestimated just what Corbyn and his team have achieved, its of Rocky like proportions, truly phenomenal.

As 4 out of 10 voters ticked Labour on the ballot paper its clear that the old guard, the old style of politics is out of touch with the modern voter, younger voters are moving the goalpost.

As Bob Dylan very eloquently once said:

The times they are a changin ;)

May out before winter arrives and I wouldn't rule out a Labour government.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

You are correct when you say we need to re enthuse more former Labour voters in the Northern half of the country.

Can you explain why people in the north, midlands and Scotland who voted against the Brussels "elite" in the EU referendum are happy to vote for the British elite, aka the Conservative party?

24 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Never understood Labour's devotion to first past the post. OK when there were only 2 parties but not with 4 or 5. Should have been changed when Blair had massive majorities but he never did anything brave.

Bloody sad when you see results where the Labour vote + the Lib Dem vote significantly exceeded the Tory winner.

Further parliament should be truly representative of the electors. Small parties deserve some seats and get one or none under the current system.

This plus votes for 16 year olds should be top of Labours to do list.

Pretty certain if the Conservatives change leader (which surely they will) Boris will be a shoo-in. He can win in London - showed that as Mayor - and he appeals to the casually interested in Politics.

The main barrier to him is the Conservative Party establishment not trusting him... but desperate timed demand desperate measures.

The woman has just stood in Downing St and spoke as if last night didn't happen and without any reference to it. 

"Only the Conservative and Unionist party has the legitimacy and ability to provide certainty" says Theresa May"

What an extraordinary woman.

• Backroom
Just now, den said:

The woman has just stood in Downing St and spoke as if last night didn't happen and without any reference to it. What an extraordinary woman.

Steve Kean would have been proud of that performance.

Just now, den said:

The woman has just stood in Downing St and spoke as if last night didn't happen and without any reference to it. 

"Only the Conservative and Unionist party has the legitimacy and ability to provide certainty" says Theresa May"

What an extraordinary woman.

She's deluding herself.

5 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

What a mess!

May's campagin was mess from start to finish. Media wise very poor. 

Should May go? Probably. Wasnt in favour of her when she was took over. 

Cameron should have stay. 

Osborne's comments was spot on last night. Awful policies. 

On ITV GMB, Says May will not resign

You get a lot of stick on here. Some fair, and some not. However, I can't believe that you wrote that. You've done nothing but praise the Tories over the last 6 weeks as being best for you and the country. Now that the desired result hasn't happened you completely flip, disown May, and deride Tory policy. Baffling.

May is saying that she'll work with the DUP. I'd be moving to Northern Ireland if true, they'll want a lot for their votes.

She should resign. Her hubris created this vacuum. She should now jump in it.

Archived