BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Election called for 8th June

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

Pretty certain if the Conservatives change leader (which surely they will) Boris will be a shoo-in. He can win in London - showed that as Mayor - and he appeals to the casually interested in Politics.

The main barrier to him is the Conservative Party establishment not trusting him... but desperate timed demand desperate measures.

Nobody trusts him! How could you? Would climb all over his Granny to get to the top.

Just now, 47er said:

Nobody trusts him! How could you? Would climb all over his Granny to get to the top.

Sadly people especially those who only see him on comedy clips like him, they don't see anything beyond the rich buffoon act. They don't recognise the difference between laughing with, or at someone.

47 minutes ago, den said:

Police community on twitter....

Dear Theresa, it's not the number of MPs that counts it's how you use them. You have to do more with less that's all ???

I've liked it but I actually love it!

7 hours ago, Baz said:

Sinn Fein saying DUP in coalition government is contravention of Good Friday Agreement. This could get ugly quickly.

They UK Government is supposed to be neutral in Northern Ireland politics, how can that be when the UK Government is getting into bed with one of the Irish parties ?

Sinn Fein are right in this case.

Saint Teresa is obviously quite prepared to wreck the Northern Ireland  agreement in a vain attempt to hang on to power.

Let me spell it out for her - You're finished.

There's no way the that Tories could win another election with her in charge, even the dogs in the street know that.

10 hours ago, Glenn said:

The things is, you can ALREADY be detained and even jailed or deported for those things.

The PM needs to be questioned, until she answer (which she can't), on precisely WHICH civil liberties are getting in the way of stopping terrorism.

The problem isn't the powers the police and other agencies have, it the resources.they (don't) have. The whole civil liberties thing is about swiftly removing us from the ECHR (which has lots of pesky employment related provisions) without anyone questioning why. Terrorism is just the excuse, nobody can name a single human right that is getting in the way of stopping terrorism.

Agreed but I wasn't arguing for newer laws.

I was explaining to Davey why I think in instances like the above you can 'remove peoples civil liberties' and hold people in custody on suspicion for a longer period of time without evidence to charge them.

The fact that people oppose the law that allows you to do this is worrying. They'd rather take the risk and hope the police get the evidence before the act is commited.

I knew, but had forgotten, Sinn Fein do not take up their parliamentary seats. Can someone explain how far this reaches, is it only not attending and voting? Or does Sinn Fein completely ignore the opportunity to represent its supporters to government in all forms?

I'm wondering what is the point in voting for Sinn Fein if your MP then does nothing to represent your interests? Or am I missing something?

Just now, Paul said:

I knew, but had forgotten, Sinn Fein do not take up their parliamentary seats. Can someone explain how far this reaches, is it only not attending and voting? Or does Sinn Fein completely ignore the opportunity to represent its supporters to government in all forms?

I'm wondering what is the point in voting for Sinn Fein if your MP then does nothing to represent your interests? Or am I missing something?

They don't take their seats because they will not swear allegiance to a British monarch and that's all I know!

Irish vote for them to demonstrate their support for unification, that's the point.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Sinn Fein completely ignore Parliament. It's to do with not being prepared to swear the oath of allegiance to the Queen I think.

i can see why they might find this a problem but they are missing the chance to defend their corner in Parliament.

If i am correct, could they now take up their seats and wipe out any tory majority?

Just now, Speedie Dived said:

If i am correct, could they now take up their seats and wipe out any tory majority?

On Frankie Boyles show on Election night - he made quite a funny joke about that scenario, it was something like;

In order to make a government, Labour may need to form a coalition with Sinn Fein. As they appear in parliament for the first time;

Corbyn "ladies and gentleman, the IRA..."

:) 

Mays 2 closest aides 'quit'.

Nick Timothy takes the hit for a poor manifesto, but does say the dementia tax was being discussed in Whitehall for months - hence the blame is.....?

Just now, Baz said:

Mays 2 closest aides 'quit'.

Nick Timothy takes the hit for a poor manifesto, but does say the dementia tax was being discussed in Whitehall for months - hence the blame is.....?

Teresa May had the hard word from the 1922 committee yesterday allegedly - " Either they go or you go ."

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Just accidentally looking back through some old posts. Any thoughts as to how Rovers will do next season Nostradamus ?

Being fair, there are plenty more like that. 

Keep the faith guys.

It's funny how things end up. That sentiment, shared by thousands, couldn't have been more wrong. This has been the making of Corbyn, and all of a sudden he represents the face of hope for so many.

Has May gone yet?

Just now, Batman. said:

It's funny how things end up. That sentiment, shared by thousands, couldn't have been more wrong. This has been the making of Corbyn, and all of a sudden he represents the face of hope for so many.

Has May gone yet?

Not yet, but it won't be long.

one word of caution on Corbyn. Next time, he'll have a Tory party ready to take him on, on the topics he was strong in this time. He does have the "momentum" with him though. ?

Plus, it's not impossible that he'll form a government this time yet. It happened when Heath called a snap election for support against the miners. He Ended with a minority government, lost his job and Wilson stepped in. 

On ‎09‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 10:15, Mike E said:

Chaddy, you have just said you didn'tlike May or her policies. So you voted for them based on...what exactly?

If you didn't like any of the options, a spoiled vote may have suited you (I'm not aiming to criticise, I just don't really understand your logic after being so pro-Conservative.)

I didn't like any of the leaders.

I like the Trident, NHS, Counter terrorism Police budget increases, Tories will be the best for Brexit talks.

But the Social Care policy were clueless and miss guided. Not proper thought out or researched.

But her campaigning was weak and couldn't connected to Voters. I haven't read the Manifesto but according to George Osborne is was the worst ever written

On ‎09‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 10:41, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

A great night for the Labour voters amongst us but the hard work starts now. We'll have to play our cards cleverly. I like Jeremy Corbyn as a campaigning politician, that's his strength no doubt about that. His record as a Parliamentary leader isn't as good, but in my opinion that has not been helped at all by the massed ranks of Labour MP's either sitting on their hands or actively working to oppose him. With his party behind him and the Tories in disarray things may change.

To the Parlimentary  party I say this - The backstabbing has to stop and it has to stop now. I'm sure Corbyn will offer a sincere olive branch to his opponents in the Labour Party. The whole Parlimentary party needs to shape up and get with the programme. Labour voters and party members will not take kindly to any more foot dragging by MP's on the right of the party.

The old Tory lite policies of the Labour Party have failed in the past,  the current anti austerity progressive policies have brought us a degree of success. Get behind your party !

Great night? You were on roughly the same amount of seats now as you were under Gordon Brown, 7 years ago. is that successful?

Plus lets not forget you were 58 seats short of being in Government

On ‎09‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 12:05, jim mk2 said:

The Tories are ruthless and understand power. They're still in Downing St thanks to the DUP so they will form a government.

Then they will axe May because she's damaged goods and has no mandate after last night's result.

Who takes over doesn't matter overmuch to them because although May personally lost the election, they won and still hold the reins of power, and could be in for another 5 years. 

I'm terribly disappointed. Corbyn did well, but not well enough. 

Another point: Tories won 42% of the vote and Labour 40%, yet FPTP delivers a Tory margin of victory over Labour of nearly 60 seats.

If / when Labour ever get a decisive majority, electoral reform should be top of the agenda.  

I fully expect May to be gone within 12 months with Johnson or Davis to take over, but I wouldn't be surprise if Osborne came back in politics to take over as leader

The FPTP is the system we have in place. I wouldn't change the voting system but can understand the argument. But the FPTP voting system given voters a local MP where a PR system wouldnt

we have a country that is very dividend and it looks like that wont be changing any time soon.

On ‎09‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 12:49, jim mk2 said:

My concern is that many people voted Labour not because they liked Corbyn or Labour but because they understandably disliked May intensely and could not trust her after so many U-turns. Johnson's a buffoon in my eyes but for some reason is popular with many people - if there is another election soon and presuming he is Tory leader then that will be the real test of whether the swing voters have embraced Corbyn and his policies.

Corbyn policies like Free university fees got young people to vote for him and It will be interesting to see whether he stays as leader and keep policies like that for the next election

Johnson is like another Trump type politician. Will win a lot of voters over his personality that May cannot with. Cameron did that with personality but also using his own experience like using the NHS with his son.

Just now, Batman. said:

The entire political world thinks it was a great night for Labour, and understand the great consequence of their achievement.

But Chaddy thinks something else.

What planet are you living on mate?

Labour won 32 seats and still way off winning a majority and running the country.

if it was a great night why only 30 seats

here is 1 Labour MP not happy

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/not-good-enough-labour-ex-minister-blasts-jeremy-corbyn-despite-strong-election-performance/ar-BBColoo?li=AAmiR2Z&ocid=spartanntp

so not the entire political world is it?

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Labour won 32 seats and still way off winning a majority and running the country.

if it was a great night why only 30 seats

here is 1 Labour MP not happy

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/not-good-enough-labour-ex-minister-blasts-jeremy-corbyn-despite-strong-election-performance/ar-BBColoo?li=AAmiR2Z&ocid=spartanntp

so not the entire political world is it?

It's like talking to an autistic brick wall, that has access to google.

Archived