BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Running and general keep fit

On 03/06/2017 at 07:28, Paul said:

I was persuaded by a "friend" to enter my cycling club's Time Trial Handicap. TT is a particularly exquisite form of cycling torture in which one simply rides as fast as possible over a given distance on a set course. The handicap competition consists of one qualifying event to achieve a baseline for one's handicap, 4 x 10 mile TT races and 1 x 25 mile TT.

I've never done this before so on Tuesday night I rode my baseline. I was very pleased to ride 10 miles in 28:23 seconds with an average of 21.4mph. To put it in perspective, riders 30 years younger who train with purpose designed bikes put in times of 22 - 26 minutes. The winner rode 19:21 seconds. I finished 87 seconds ahead of the "friend" who entered me. Not bad for a man four weeks off his 63rd birthday!!

Only five more to go!

That's impressive. It's one of the reasons I'm fed up with broadcasters talking about the youth vote like anyone over 30 is some sort of decrepit old person with no brain, and people on here talking about older fans not using the Internet.  I too am 63 and still have all my faculties. Amazing isn't it?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, gumboots said:

That's impressive. It's one of the reasons I'm fed up with broadcasters talking about the youth vote like anyone over 30 is some sort of decrepit old person with no brain, and people on here talking about older fans not using the Internet.  I too am 63 and still have all my faculties. Amazing isn't it?

As the great Pete Townsend wrote "Hope I die before I get old"

Speaking personally I know I'm going to slow down one day but I'll never be old!!!

Some people's old age begins in their twenties. It's an attitude, it's how good you feel when you get out of bed, it's whether you're happy, whether you have a peaceful mind, it's what your physical capabilities are. That's age.

It's not got much to do with how many years you've been on the planet.

I don't want to waste any time getting down about my chronological age, because quite honestly, there's nothing I can do about it, and that number just keeps getting higher.

Do some of the fit in 5 from tv. Downloaded then just do 5 mins on whichever takes your fancy. Bit annoying but quick and easy to use as warmup

Oh and today I managed 11 mins without stopping then a further 7 mins with very short recovery. I am getting better so I'm quite impressed

5 hours ago, gumboots said:

Do some of the fit in 5 from tv. Downloaded then just do 5 mins on whichever takes your fancy. Bit annoying but quick and easy to use as warmup

Oh and today I managed 11 mins without stopping then a further 7 mins with very short recovery. I am getting better so I'm quite impressed

That's good, when shall I put you down for the next 5k ?

gumboots, I didn't say 'old people don't use the internet'.

I'm not one for labouring the point on here, because well I don't know most folk on here from Adam, so what's the point? But talk about taking what I said out of context.

Generally speaking folk that are 75+ (which is perhaps the bracket I should have used) don't use the internet in the same way under 30s do, not sure what the issue is there? So when marketing you need to hit all channels. Though obviously plenty of those in their 70s/80s do have laptops, smart phones, tablets etc, just not in the same ratios.

Doesn't mean they are 'decrepit with no brain'. My Grandad, in his 80s, worked till his early 70s, is captain of his bowls club, goes swimming 3 times a week, holidays home and abroad as much as possible and is a mad keen Rovers ST holder- but he's never used the internet in his life, my other Grandad (who's actually older) loves an online bet and had Sky+/Sky Go etc. before most folk I know.

On 13/06/2017 at 08:22, Mattyblue said:

gumboots, I didn't say 'old people don't use the internet'.

I'm not one for labouring the point on here, because well I don't know most folk on here from Adam, so what's the point? But talk about taking what I said out of context.

Generally speaking folk that are 75+ (which is perhaps the bracket I should have used) don't use the internet in the same way under 30s do, not sure what the issue is there? So when marketing you need to hit all channels. Though obviously plenty of those in their 70s/80s do have laptops, smart phones, tablets etc, just not in the same ratios.

Doesn't mean they are 'decrepit with no brain'. My Grandad, in his 80s, worked till his early 70s, is captain of his bowls club, goes swimming 3 times a week, holidays home and abroad as much as possible and is a mad keen Rovers ST holder- but he's never used the internet in his life, my other Grandad (who's actually older) loves an online bet and had Sky+/Sky Go etc. before most folk I know.

Surely wrong thread? ☺ and I'm not talking about this any more. I don't want to argue with anyone. It bores others and I can't be bothered 

So the first of this year's targets achieved. 125.4 mile ride completed today in 8 hours 25 minutes. My longest ride ever!

We actually attempted the ride three weeks ago but on that day one of our number crashed badly and we had to abandon that ride. 

I completed my first (and last for a while) ultra marathon on Saturday night - 50km in just under 6 hours.  Most of it was on dark paths with just torch light and street lights every 100 yards lighting the way.

The time was pretty slow compared to my marathon time, but if I'm honest I just didn't train often enough.  But I'm really happy I got around in one piece and I've set a benchmark to beat next time.

Good luck with your running goals. Whatever they may be, the same simple rules always apply -

You'll never regret going for a run.  

There is no substitute for a good training plan.

It's meant to be hard - do it and you'll actually be able to enjoy running on race day!

On 19/06/2017 at 06:02, ultrablue said:

I completed my first (and last for a while) ultra marathon on Saturday night - 50km in just under 6 hours.  Most of it was on dark paths with just torch light and street lights every 100 yards lighting the way.

The time was pretty slow compared to my marathon time, but if I'm honest I just didn't train often enough.  But I'm really happy I got around in one piece and I've set a benchmark to beat next time.

Good luck with your running goals. Whatever they may be, the same simple rules always apply -

You'll never regret going for a run.  

There is no substitute for a good training plan.

It's meant to be hard - do it and you'll actually be able to enjoy running on race day!

50k!!

Respect. I couldn't even begin to imagine doing an ultra marathon, I've not even done a half marathon!

• 3 weeks later...

The best form of exercise I've ever done is walking the three peaks with a heavily laden rucksack try to complete within a day best starting in the morning do that on a regular basis at least once a mth. You will be as fit as fiddle in no time. If you want to gradually ease into it I started off on doing weets & pendle & boulsworth or just penyghent. Settle is a good base if you're stopping overnight.

On 19/04/2017 at 08:27, Paul said:

First off I'm not on any huge health kick. Now I've retired this is much simpler to work on. On January 1st I weighed in at 175lbs (79.4kg). This morning I weighed in at 167.4lbs (75.9kg). I belong to a small informal weight loss group and my target for the year is 165lbs though I've now revised this to 160lbs. I should mention I weighed in at exactly 88kg on January 1st 2015.

My targets for the year are:

Complete the Eureka ride - this is a local 120 mile ride on May 28th

Complete Ride Scotland - another local ride involving a 223 mile round trip to Gretna in a day. This is on June 17th. At 62 this is the greatest physical challenge of my life.

Complete Ride London - a 100 mile closed road event on the Olympic road race route. I have a specific time in mind which I've only shared with one person!!!

So three months on where am I?

This morning I'm 161lbs so just short of 7lbs off. Might not sound much but it has been up and down plus there isn't much of me anyway!!

Eureka ride completed at 127 miles, 3988ft in 8 hours 48 minutes, average 14.4mph

Ride Scotland plan abandoned as only 3 or 4, including me, of the original 14 felt they had a chance of completing it!!

Ride London is two weeks tomorrow. Training is looking good. On Thursday I rode 44 miles, 3668 feet of climbing (higher than Snowdon), average 14.3mph in 3 hours 5 minutes and put in PBs on 5 of the 6 climbs - for those who know the area the PBs were Foxholes (Horwich), a Cat 4 climb, Winter Hill, a Cat 3 climb, Sheephouse (Rivington), Cat 3 and 4 in different sections, Gregson Lane (Walton le Dale/Brindle), Hillhouse (Brindle) but sadly had nothing left for Toplock (Lower Wheelton).

If I can reproduce this level on July 30th on closed roads and working with other riders my personal target should be smashed!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1081433297

A friend sent me this link about 3 week ago, It's well worth a watch if you want to be fitter and healthier.

About 2 week ago I (almost) cut out all processed food, especially sugar. In that time I've lost about 6 pounds in weight, my energy levels have increased significantly. I'm 56 and it feels like how I remember feeling when I was 40. Loads of little aches, pains and niggles seemed to have disappeared and I've just knocked 5 mins of my PB for the Guild Wheel (a 21 mile cycles path that circles Preston)  Also my mind feels much clearer and far more focussed.

3 hours ago, wolfie said:

A friend sent me this link about 3 week ago, It's well worth a watch if you want to be fitter and healthier.

About 2 week ago I (almost) cut out all processed food, especially sugar. In that time I've lost about 6 pounds in weight, my energy levels have increased significantly. I'm 56 and it feels like how I remember feeling when I was 40. Loads of little aches, pains and niggles seemed to have disappeared and I've just knocked 5 mins of my PB for the Guild Wheel (a 21 mile cycles path that circles Preston)  Also my mind feels much clearer and far more focussed.

Nice 1, good viewing.

11 hours ago, wolfie said:

This was an excellent TV series which examined the problem and solution in plain and simple terms. We always made a point of watching. While it didn't influence me it confirmed the changes I'd already tried to make where at least partly correct.

About 2-3 years ago I cut out processed food whenever possible and found the impact significant in the way wolfie describes. 

In my view the biggest influence is lifestyle and the huge pressure this puts on the individual. It is extremely tough to find the time to make these changes, to avoid the daily influences to eat rubbish and not to exercise. 

This has been clearly brought home to me since retiring. I now have the time to shop well, prepare fresh food, consider and balance my diet, exercise more. I haven't felt as fit and well in decades and my cycling, the measure I use, has improved dramatically.

The difficulty of overcoming the influence of modern life was proved to me in May. My son was in Wrightington for a week for a hip replacement. He has SLD and my wife and I spent a week commuting to and from the hospital to support him. One of us was there 24/7.  Within 24 hours I started living my old "work" lifestyle - grab a sandwich, get a coffee I didn't need, cake, biscuits, ready meals. When we are busy it's very tough to maintain the discipline.

The other aspect of this is cost. Eating well is cheap. Our weekly shop is around £35/40 for two. I have time to search out value in a way I've never achieved before. I even sit down to write a weekly menu plan!!!

50 years ago my mother did the same - she didn't work. She walked a mile to the shops, walked home fully laden and if she hadn't been able to carry everything either set off again or went the next day. Compare that with the Friday Tesco run.

Alcohol. Cut alcohol. Make it an occasional and measured treat. In dietary terms alcohol is nothing other than useless calories. 

There was a very good program on Radio 4 last night about the sedentary nature of life nowadays - LINK - Essentially a study of eating habits over the last 30 years shows that we are not consuming more, rather we are consuming on average 600 calories fewer daily, that we did, and eating healthier as well. The problem seems to be that we are far more less active, not in a fitness way, but generally. Less walking, less manual labour just generally less active. So the axiom calories in vs calories out is true, we're just not getting enough calories out. Especially me.

There's such a thing as decision fatigue.

If you've been making decisions all day long, then you're more likely to eat junk at the end of the day, it's just teh easy choice. That's why batching meals is meant to be a good strategy..

I'm doing my best to switch from a calorie-dense to a nuterient-dense approach, but it's not easy to do. I have a very sweet tooth. I'd love to get my waist back down to 34 inches, from 36. But it's consistency that will do that, that's what I've been lacking.

Archived