BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Running and general keep fit

I've got into HIIT training recently. 

Enjoy lifting weights, but always hated cardio - definitely no half marathons/Iron Man for me!

HIIT cardio really seems to work for me, 25 minutes (including a warm up and warm down) and you're breathing out of your arse.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderation Lead

Aye, it's what I always do at the gym nowadays as well, Matty.

I find if I do 20 minutes on the treadmill (25 minutes tonight as I've been at a festival for the weekend), 2 minutes running, 2 minutes walking, increasing the speed and elevation for each two minute set, I'm blowing out of my backside right after.

Then, I'll do a few weights and a bit on the rower and I'm completely flat out.

• 2 weeks later...

So here I am in Bethnal Green, east London and just 7 hours from starting Ride London. This is the most bizarre experience. Hotels are rammed with cyclists - some, the Marriott for one, have turned their lobby in to a huge cycle parking area with all night security laid on!

Forecast is good. Here we go!

• 5 months later...

So we don’t know how @Glenngot on but I wondered how others faired and what targets people are setting?

My targets for this year:

Cycle 7500 miles

Climb 500,000 feet (on the bike)

Ride Great Dun Fell, said to be the greatest climb in England, our Ventoux

Complete 1000 mile walking challenge - I think this unlikely

On ‎05‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 14:44, blueboy3333 said:

After spending nearly 18 months living like a crisps&cake-eating sloth I'm now 3+ stone overweight. My moobs are huge (I've gone up at least 9 cup sizes) and I could flatten a small county with my arse. My achilles are too shot to run and I don't like sports bras so it's back to the cycling which I was passionate about a couple of years back till someone clipped me with a caravan on the A6 and I ended up in a ditch. It was more a slow-motion trundle into the ditch than anything and I wasn't hurt but I got the fear. So I'm heading out today for my first ride since 2015.

As I've become a bit obsessed with my weight I was looking up which exercises burnt the most calories. I found the table below from this article http://www.ilovebicycling.com/how-many-calories-do-you-burn-when-cycling/  Hope it provides some inspiration fellow chub-sters and I'll see you out and about on the highways of Lancashire.

Image result for cycling funny fat

how many calories do you burn when cycling

I still look like him unfortunately. This year I promise....

I've had a lot to contend with in the last few years. Fitness work has suffered because of it. I suffer from bad ankles as well, but I've somehow managed to get round a fair few races. Notable ones last year were hoad hill 10k, Norwich 10k,bridge to bridge run in arnhem and Greenwich 10k. Also managed to do some  strength work. 

Don't even ask about my diet, it was appalling. I've never smoked, don't do drugs and don't drink much beer these days. Junk food is my comfort weapon of choice. Not sure how I got through the year, to be honest. I was a broken man in October, and quit my job. 

This year, I'm being sponsored to do a half marathon for alzheimers society in March. Let me know if you want to sponsor me, I'm still short of my fund raising goal. Might do a few other races. Not sure yet. One of the biggest things though, will be getting my shed done and fitted out so I can workout in it. On top of that, I want to do more yoga, to help me cope with things. 

Not into any event or races but yes, I definitely keep a check on my health and fitness no matter how busy I am. I make it a point to run at least 3 miles a day and also carry out some stretching and free hand exercises to keep my body fit. Apart from that, I usually do enjoy my weekend drink or two.

• 1 month later...
On 24/01/2018 at 21:25, Paul said:

So we don’t know how @Glenngot on but I wondered how others faired and what targets people are setting?

My targets for this year:

Cycle 7500 miles

Climb 500,000 feet (on the bike)

Ride Great Dun Fell, said to be the greatest climb in England, our Ventoux

Complete 1000 mile walking challenge - I think this unlikely

So I was a runner but my knees are not fairing so well so I decided to switch to cycling and today was my first outing on the bike. 

Didn’t get too far, 18 miles, and I learned a few things, mainly to avoid popular national cycle routes which are basically full of dog walkers. Well they are here in york anyway.

so I guess my goal is to build up some more miles and find some alternative routes!

Have a look on http://ridewithgps.com

You should be able to find a few routes near you - Also seriously think about joining a club - It's the best thing I ever did, it allows me to ride with people who are at the same level as me on much longer rides than I ever would if I was out by myself.

My club, Penge, has 7 rides ranging from 25 miles @ 10mph up to 55@17mph every Sunday plus we do extended rides for Audax and Sportive training as required

If 18 miles is your first serious effort I’d say it’s to be applauded. Many would not manage more than 2-3 miles. With regular riding speed, distance and stamina come quite quickly.

National cycle routes are shared spaces and I agree dog walkers and their dogs are an issue but generally only in urban areas. 

I’m in favour of shared use but there are a minority of dog owners who don’t understand the hazard a dog running loose can be for cyclists. Calling the animal to heal for 30 seconds or so isn’t a hardship. 

Thanks Jimbo and Paul.

I had a dog run along side me for a good 20-30 seconds barking at me whilst running in a zig zag so I basically spent the time desperately trying to not run it over!

That aside, I did enjoy it, more than I thought I would, so looking forward to getting out again.

• 2 weeks later...

I started running again early January this year, after a couple of niggling injuries etc. Now at 5K in about 30 mins. Planning to push on to wards 5 miles, but getting a stitch is holding me back. Anyone got advice on preventing this?

21 hours ago, Ozz said:

I started running again early January this year, after a couple of niggling injuries etc. Now at 5K in about 30 mins. Planning to push on to wards 5 miles, but getting a stitch is holding me back. Anyone got advice on preventing this?

Make sure you’ve got good control over your breathing whilst running (not easy I know). People have told me that you can apply pressure where the stitch is and breath in and it goes away reasonably quickly.

Alternative method I’ve read is to stop running and touch your toes. Never done that but apparently it works.

As for me, I got back on the bike today after missing last weekend due to the weather. Went out earlier and the route was a lot less populated, I made it to 20miles in 1hr25mins.

No idea how good/bad that time is

23 hours ago, Ozz said:

When you are getting back into running its best to ignore distance and just run at a pace that feels right. Just run for 20 mins, turn round and run back. Stitches are the result of a mix of digesting heavy foods, irregular breathing and not warming up enough.

Take it a bit easier, get some good comfortable runs under your belt and then start looking  building up the pace.

Re:stitches, best not to eat anything heavy within two hours before your run. It's caused, I think, by your internals bouncing up and down on your diaphragm. 

If you get one, slow down a bit, and press your forefinger and middle finger down on your stomach right underneath your rib cage. Also try to breathe out only when your left foot hits the floor

Archived