BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Last Game: Aston Villa (H) Saturday 29th April, Kick off 15.00

• Moderation Lead

Well then, this game is rather sizeable, isn't it? A bit about our opponents to begin with......

Villa were formed one year before us in 1874 and are the fifth most successful club in the country. They won the European Cup in 1981-82 and are one of only five English clubs to have done so.

Like us, they are a founder member of the Football League.

They were formed by members of the Villa Cross Wesleyan Chapel in Handsworth (now part of Birmingham). After they moved to the Wellington Road Ground two years later, they soon established themselves as one of the best teams in the area, winning their first honour in 1880, The Birmingham Senior Cup.

By the end of Queen Victoria’s reign in 1897, they had firmly established themselves as the most successful club in the country and they had moved into their current home, then known as the ‘Aston Lower Grounds’. The supporters coined the name ‘Villa park’, though no official declaration listed the ground as ‘Villa Park’, I suspect that’s what is on the land registry nowadays….

As it stands at the moment, they are one of four Chinese owned clubs in England (all of whom are based in the Midlands incidentally). The others being; local rivals Birmingham City, Wolverhampton Wanderers and their Black Country rivals West Bromwich Albion.

I suspect most would say that the appointment of Roberto Di Matteo was an odd one and perhaps unsurprisingly, he didn’t last long, only to be replaced by Championship stalwart Steve Bruce.

(For those of you that use Twitter, search for Steve Bruce at weddings for the LOLs).

I think that based on the squad they have, their fans would probably say that this season has been a disappointment overall.

Which leads me nicely onto the next part! I’ve got a couple of friends from Uni who support Villa, but I only have the mobile number of one, so he’s been kind enough to provide his input!

Ladies and Gentlemen, Mr Joel Hagan. Thanks for your contribution and I hope you’re well!

KH- How do you feel this season has gone overall? What have been the highs and lows? Who has performed well? Who has performed poorly? Who would get your vote for player of the season?

JH- This season has been a bit of a rebuilding one for us. I believe a lot of fans were delusional enough to believe we would go straight back up so have caused some problems for Bruce but I think actually, overall it's been a decent season. New manager, a lot of new players, new league so we couldn't have expected too much. It's hard to look past (Jonathan) Kodija for player of the season for his goals, however (James) Chester has been solid and a good leader for us, so between those two. Jack Grealish has to be the biggest disappointment. All the talent with absolutely no desire to achieve. Overpaid, massive ego and no work ethic. Could be a great player for us but doesn't care. Highs of the season would probably be the recent run of form. I believe seven clean sheets in a row and a good win streak before the last few games, hopefully we can carry that form into next season. Low would be Burton Albion away....Just the fact that we have to play Burton Albion in the league. What has happened to us?!

KH- One of the most memorable things (granted, for the wrong reasons) to happen to your club this season would be Ross McCormack and the Gate incident. Instead of Steve Bruce being passive aggressive, then making full use of the camera on his mobile after turning up at his striker’s house, don’t you think he could have used that same phone to call McCormack and offer him a lift? I’m sure Ross McCormack had a step ladder on the grounds to enable him to conquer his adjoining wall…..

JH- Haha! Ross McCormack. On loan, so technically could come back to us, if we take that gate out. I believe Bruce could have handled the situation better, yes. I think it was clear to a lot of people here that there was ore to him not coming to training than a big gate! But Bruce decided to call him out on it. It turns out he has suffered with depression in recent years so maybe a little discretion would have been nice from Bruce. Hopefully he can come back to Villa fully fit. If he does, we have a player on our hands I think!

KH- I’ve seen a few comments online from Villa fans (possibly with tongue firmly in cheek) saying that they would take a loss at the weekend if it helps your city rivals suffer relegation. Would you take a defeat at the weekend if it meant ultimately relegating Birmingham City? Our need is greater than yours, btw!

JH- Ha! I also heard this bandied about last weekend at the game. Ermmm, I am a bit torn on this one. I don't like to concentrate in the blues as they really should be insignificant to the Villa, so I would usually say that I would prefer the Villa win. However, two things make me want Blackburn to win. One is Blackburn is a bigger and better club and should not be going down over the blues. Two- I'm bored of them thinking they are at our level so I wouldn't mind seeing them flounder round the bottom two leagues for a couple of decades.

KH- What are your hopes for next season? From the outside looking in, the new owners seem to have let Steve Bruce to get on with his job, is this the case by and large?

JH- I think you are right. The owners have let Bruce get on with things. They have given him money and seem to stay out of where he spends it. Hopefully we can build again and push for a finish in the play offs. If we keep the back line together, we keep Kodija, get Hogan firing and sign a top class midfielder or two, I think play-offs could be for us. I do however think that Dr Tony's four season prediction for CL qualification has gone now...

KH- Finally, what’s your prediction for the weekend? (You don’t have to be kind, we know just how poor we are!)

JH- Haha. Well you may be poor but your last three results have been decent so you've got fight in you against the drop. Our season is over really so I think it will be tough. Your boys seem to fancy a draw as well so I'm going to go score draw at 1-1. If you do win and drag the blues into the relegation zone, then so be it!!!

Some Famous Villans

Tom Hanks- Prolific actor

David Cameron (when he remembers they aren’t called West Ham United)

Benjamin Zephaniah- Poet, Rastafarian & recently seen in Peaky Blinders

Prince William- Member of The Royal Family with a worldie of a sister in law

Oliver Phelps- One of the Weasley twins in the Harry Potter franchise (his twin is a blue nose)

Pauline McLynn- Mrs Doyle in the comedy series Father Ted

Ozzy Osbourne & Tony Iommi (both of Black Sabbath)

Simon Le Bon & Roger Taylor (both of Duran Duran)

Ian Bell (Cricketer)

Some Connections between the two clubs

Paul Lambert (managed both)

Alan Wright (played for both)

Rudy Gestede (played for both, then went to Middlesbrough to get the band back together, only for Middlesbrough to selfishly sell Jordan Rhodes to Sheffield Wednesday)

Gordon Cowans (played for both)

Stephen Warnock (played for both)

Brad Friedel (played for both)

Head to head

Villa 74 wins

Rovers 61 wins

35 Draws

The last meeting between the two sides came in November at Villa Park, where our opponents ran out 2-1 winners.

Being the pessimist I am (where Rovers are concerned), I’m fully expecting a drab 0-0 draw and for us to go down with a whimper. As long as it doesn’t take us an hour to record a shot on target, I guess that would be an improvement from the weekend’s game at Molineux at the very least……

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good preview, Andre.

For me, one of the greatest sights in the history of British football has always been the Gordon Cowans cross-field pass skimming the top soil as it fizzed to the feet of a teammate, and lesser mortal. An effortless midfield maestro. It was a pleasure to see him in a Rovers shirt.

https://www.villatalk.com/topic/16388-pre-match-thread/

Some Villa fans comments. I especially liked:-

'I don't care what team we put out, so long as the Football League fine us for it'   :D

A Villa ladies team* and a Cowans-esque performance from J-Lowe and we could scab a win.

1-0 Rovers

Image result for sexy female aston villa fan in villa kit

*The captain of Villa's ladies team...and possibly Mercer's friend/colleague.

• K-Hod pinned this topic

Raya

Nyambe Hoban Mulgrew Williams

Feeney Bennett Guthrie Lenihan Emnes

Joao

With Emnes not having much (any) defensive responsibility. Captain Coward should never play for us again. Gallagher has been very poor. Feeney can be relatively effective on the right if all he does is try and cross it. Guthrie to pull the strings.

I really wanted to be cheering the team on in the run in. My season finishes this Saturday so I'm hoping I can make Brentford away. I feel like a win vs Villa would do us the world of confidence for nerves going in to the last game.

Thanks K-Hod, a most enjoyable read.

Club connections:

Gordon Lee: played as a right back over an 11 year period at Villa. As a Manager won Rovers the Third Division title in the 74-75 season. Then moved to Newcastle and the reason for my actute dislike for all things Geordie, apart from a few lasses I've encountered over the years.

Chris Price: signed by Rovers twice and played for Villa inbetween. A good fullback who could score a goal when needed!

I do not think that we have any chance of winning this game. We have forgotten how to score and Mowbray has naturally become scared of losing. He will try to set us up to not concede early but we are then incapable if getting on to the front foot. A lack of heart or basic interest from our loanee strikers will do us in.

Imo the best we can hope for is 1-1 v Villa followed by losing at Brentford.

Chicken players and, sadly, a past it Rooster as Manager.

Not forgetting the Cocks as DoF and FD and the heap of Chicken s-hit in Pune.

Villa did us a massive favour on Sunday so hope they can do us another one Saturday. Them rolling over to relegate their rivals is our only hope. If roles were reversed with nothing to play for and Rovers were playing a team who could potentially relegate the dingles I'd 100% be routing for the oppo.

However, I don't think villa employ 11 people (including catering staff, receptionists, etc) capable of losing to our talentless, lazy bums. Players don't seem to care and that ethos comes from the top from owners who definitely don't care.

I think we will be relegated Saturday I only hope as a consolation relegation brings about ownership changes (no evidence to suggest this will happen). Sick of this death by 1000 cuts under the Venkys 

9 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

Good preview, Andre.

For me, one of the greatest sights in the history of British football has always been the Gordon Cowans cross-field pass skimming the top soil as it fizzed to the feet of a teammate, and lesser mortal. An effortless midfield maestro. It was a pleasure to see him in a Rovers shirt.

https://www.villatalk.com/topic/16388-pre-match-thread/

Some Villa fans comments. I especially liked:-

'I don't care what team we put out, so long as the Football League fine us for it'   :D

A Villa ladies team* and a Cowans-esque performance from J-Lowe and we could scab a win.

1-0 Rovers

Image result for sexy female aston villa fan in villa kit

*The captain of Villa's ladies team...and possibly Mercer's friend/colleague.

Stokesy will play but only if shown live over the internet ;)

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/how-huddersfield-town-line-up-12948899

After the match, Wagner said: "We will now make the right decisions in the next two games to keep everybody fresh for the play-offs. Today we celebrate.

Well there it is, we are fooked. 

Depends how good their squad is, I guess.

Obviously for the players coming in, it's a chance to try and push their way into the play-off starting eleven, so they shouldn't be lacking in effort. Quality on the other hand...

Just now, LeChuck said:

Depends how good their squad is, I guess.

Obviously for the players coming in, it's a chance to try and push their way into the play-off starting eleven, so they shouldn't be lacking in effort. Quality on the other hand...

I'm more worried about what their "celebrations" looked like. Chris Hughton said that Brighton were out partying after they won the title and they had a clear hangover against Norwich. 

I suppose its all irrelevant, we need to win first and foremost. 

Got my tickets for the brentford game but cant g oto the villa one. I feel we will be relegated before we kick a ball at brentford. I would love to be wrong just how I feel. If you cant beat barnsely and bristol at home in the final stages in our situation then you deserve to go really. I remember the days where Big Sam would of looked at those games as keeping us up in the prem, and would deliver the points, we have not. I see us drawing at best to villa saturday and brum winning.

Just now, ruggles1995 said:

Got my tickets for the brentford game but cant g oto the villa one. I feel we will be relegated before we kick a ball at brentford. I would love to be wrong just how I feel. If you cant beat barnsely and bristol at home in the final stages in our situation then you deserve to go really. I remember the days where Big Sam would of looked at those games as keeping us up in the prem, and would deliver the points, we have not. I see us drawing at best to villa saturday and brum winning.

Big Sam with his home games against certain sides which he targeted as 3 pointers. Burnley at home this weekend will be one. A manager with a plan. Those were the days.

53 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I'm looking for anything that might help us now. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39732855

I saw that and thought ok may help us a bit for Brum to lose their Captain.

What a good signing he was for Brum. Fully committed if not the best of players. We have nobody to compare with his blood and guts approach to every game.

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

I saw that and thought ok may help us a bit for Brum to lose their Captain.

What a good signing he was for Brum. Fully committed if not the best of players. We have nobody to compare with his blood and guts approach to every game.

Ahem Jason Lowe :)

No, true it can only be good for us that Robinson is missing. A good pro. 

We simply have to win to keep our hopes alive and I think we will.

You can't help but think that 11 desperados will have enough professionalism, pride and self esteem to see off a Villa side with nothing to play for and thoughts only for the beach.

However, if we are to be relegated, I actually hope it happens on Saturday at Ewood when, hopefully, the Rovers' fans would vent their feelings to Venky's, Cheston, Senior and the players in a way rarely witnessed at Ewood in recent times.  It's also time for the h a p p y  c l a p p e r s and those with heads in the sand to stand up and show some sense and b a l l s.

Teams with nothing to play with will be under no pressure and can express themselves and try things they wouldn't normally try. On the other hand they will probably not be as keen to go fully blooded into a 50/50. We need to raise the intensity and really give 150%. Nothing else is acceptable. Basically we need to do what we didn't do against Barnsley and Wolves.  

Archived