BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Last Game: Aston Villa (H) Saturday 29th April, Kick off 15.00

Ehh, kinda remarkable we still have something to play for on Sunday all things considered. And we've got TWO potential escapes... hardly ideal, but that's how this whole damn season has been. I was also hoping Barnsley could knick one late against Burton but that's just getting greedy (I'm not going to count on Bristol City getting pumped 6-0 haha...). Remarkable result at Birmingham v Huddersfield, ugh.

Aston Villa really didn't come to play today. I was nervous we were going to get stuck with a 0-0 after failing to capitalize on the excellent opening 20 mins or so, but Graham did what I had the feeling he would do: look out of shape and useless all game until one key moment (thought his missed left foot swing was that moment wasted!)

3 at the back seemed to work nicely. Lenihan brought the energy, Mulgrew the ball composure, and Ward the escape valve. Considering the injuries we've had at the back all year (partly due to Coyle choosing to rely on damn old CBs...), Ward's injury at the start of the year was a bigger blow than we all may have thought. Not convinced by either Nyambe or Williams as wingbacks, but it worked out today.

Gallagher's a funny one. You'd expect a tall guy like him to be dominant in the air but his main asset is straightahead speed.

I'd say Bennett for MOTM. Put himself about all game.

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jesus the footballing gods really can't just make life a little easier hahaha. We win and now it is down to 3 teams. Bristol City have had a better run of form recently and with Brum not being prolific in front of goals it is a game that anyone can win. Forest vs Ipswich is all up in the air. Forest have good great strikers in Britt, Velios, McCormack. Going to Brenftord next week away is a tough tough game they are as solid as it can get. Can we win? Of course I always believed that our team on its day have good players when focused and motivated. The one thing I am struggling to decide is to go to the game or not. I want to be there to cheer the team on but my heart and emotions will struggle to deal with relegation should we go down. Even from the Premier League it was such a tough feeling to deal with. 

• Backroom

Right, another week and another half chance it is. Would have been confident if Brum didn't win today but ah well.

Could do with Brighton stuffing Bristol 5-0 tonight to make It that any win next week would see us safe.

We could do with Bristol City getting hammered by at least 5 goals tonight so that they have to get at least a point next week to guarantee survival. Then we just have to hope we can beat Brentford.

Sadly, I can't see anything but a Forest win against an Ipswich side with nothing to play for.

Given Forest have scored more we're effectively -2 behind them with one to play. You'd imagine Ipswich will pull a Huddersfield against Forest, so I think our best bet would be Bristol City beating Brum and us winning too. Still an extremely tall order given the respective fixtures but at least we've taken it to the last day.

Just now, preston blue said:

Just think back to all those balls ups by Steele this season.  He should be ashamed at all the goals and points he has literally given away.

I keep on referring back to this, but imagine if Duffy hadn't scored just one of those THREE own goals.

• Backroom
Just now, lraC said:

I keep on referring back to this, but imagine if Duffy hadn't scored just one of those THREE own goals.

Nah, evened out by Mulgrew's single-handed butcher of Newcastle 

Ahhh, the days when we'd look at a fixture against Brentford as a Coca Cola cup game and a run out for the kids. Now, we live in hope to rag a win in a very tough fixture.  

Cheers the Walker trust and FU Venkys.

Just now, matt83 said:

So if forest or bham draw/lose and we win we're safe. Or if we draw and forest lose we're safe. Or if forest win and we better them by 2 goals we're safe.

In other words, it is a VERY TOUGH ASK.

Chances of survival- about 20% max.

Just now, Tom said:

Could do with Brighton stuffing Bristol 5-0 tonight to make It that any win next week would see us safe.

Would it not have to be 7-0?

Archived