BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Last Game: Aston Villa (H) Saturday 29th April, Kick off 15.00

Just now, Mansfield Blue said:

We could do with City losing tonight by enough to make them take the last game seriously. A low scoring defeat would see then ease off against Brum.

They'll probably make 15 changes anyway next week.

'Arry will go for a brew with their gaffer beforehand to make sure of that.

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well we are still alive and kicking.

I still think we are going to get out of this even though we may need a little bit of help.

We certainly put the effort in today though Villa were absolutely terrible.  Villa weren't interested and they were so sloppy and disjointed - our goal came from one of their many sloppy and careless passes.  It was one of the worst performances from a visiting team I have ever seen and I couldn't see a way we weren't going to win that match never mind not lose it.

So onwards and, hopefully, upwards.  A nice meal out tonight and a celebratory drink to toast the win and my winnings! 

That was the most embarrassing game of football I have ever seen at Ewood. By the end of the first half, it seemed the only way we would score/win would be if the ref gave us something or Villa did. Both duly obliged. The ref was extremely favourable for us today. And Villa, it was obvious, were on the beach and in sympathy with their excellent fans who desperately wanted their side to lose. How many times did a Villa player aimlessly kick in to touch, half-heartedly make attempts on goal (apart from one good long range effort in the first half), give up on promising attacks, be second best to the second ball and generally play at 70%? And yet still we couldn’t make any coherent effort on goal. So it was nice when Baker obligingly passed out of defence to Lowe who surprisingly didn’t pass sideways but made a nice through ball for Graham to neatly finish. Cue us sitting back to hang on for 1-0 and Villa going through the motions to muster few attempts (if any?) on goal.

Don’t think Brentford will be so obliging.

Game plan seems to be to scab 1-0 wins.

God knows if we can get anything at Brentford. I'd much rather be playing Ipswich at home.

I think it's going to be us for the drop. We've been in teh drop zone all season, it will take a freaky set of results going against the grain for us to stop up.

A week tomorrow will be unadulterated agony.

Don't think we can complain about this position considering where we were a week or so ago.

Not quite sure why some people are criticising the team not scoring more today. We had to win. If we had gone for 2 and conceded I guarantee that the vast majority on here would be justifiably furious. Considering Brum's result, our victory, a forest defeat and a 3 goal swing in GD was about as much as we could hope for.

If we beat Brentford then we have a fighting chance.

For those criticising Huddersfield, think how Forest fans should feel about Villa's 'performance' today.

Mowbray, one or two players and the fans who have persevered all season deserve a kind set of results next weekend.

Venkys, their puppet board, and the majority of this squad deserve relegation and shame.

The masochist in me wants to see what happens if we go down (will Venkys finally go, could would we have a fresh start) but given it will be hell - and in some ways let the board off the hook in terms of 'having to cut out cloth' - I'm actually interested to see what happens if we stay up. Not quite so easy for Senior and Cheston to sell any contracted players and to only buy League One or even Two level players. Cheston I have no expectation of at all because he is an over-promoted bean counter. Senior on the other hand has a point to prove and would be under some pressure if we were still in the Championship.

8 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

I'm getting old and can't remember what I did yesterday never mind 16 years ago so I suppose you should be congratulated for that at least. But to be honest trying to score points out of an issue on a football messageboard from so long ago says alot about your state of mind.

Come on Rovers.

There's no such word as 'alot' Jim. Old age I hope rather than declining journo standards. :D

I can see Forest beating Ipswich at home but can't see Brum winning at Bristol City.

All we need to do is win a game of football at Brentford who are a mid table Championship team and our goal difference will do the rest (if Brum draw at City).

• Backroom

The moment we conceded that goal against Preston it felt like it was a crucial blow and I still think we'll look back to that come next Sunday night.

If we had just held out another minute I think we would have had safety in the bag now 

Then again there's many many results this season we could point to, Burton, Barnsley and Bristol at home also come to mind 

very good win today.

Tactics were good and the front 3 in Gallagher, Graham and Bennett did very well and worked hard.

Back 3 were solid and did they job.

Mowbray got it right today with subs and tactical. why risk the 3 points and let Villa into the goal. most of Villa players didn't care one bit today.

Some people will always moaned about today but I couldn't give a toss. I would take a 1 nil win all day long.

Next week game will be hard and this coming week will be very nervous time But lets win next week and stay up. Forrest and Birmingham games aren't easy either

anyway guys enjoy your week.

Just now, Stuart said:

Mowbray, one or two players and the fans who have persevered all season deserve a kind set of results next weekend.

Venkys, their puppet board, and the majority of this squad deserve relegation and shame.

The masochist in me wants to see what happens if we go down (will Venkys finally go, could would we have a fresh start) but given it will be hell - and in some ways let the board off the hook in terms of 'having to cut out cloth' - I'm actually interested to see what happens if we stay up. Not quite so easy for Senior and Cheston to sell any contracted players and to only buy League One or even Two level players. Cheston I have no expectation of at all because he is an over-promoted bean counter. Senior on the other hand has a point to prove and would be under some pressure if we were still in the Championship.

If we go down we do not need an over promoted coach/scout pretending to be a DoF in the Third Division.

Cheston wants to cut costs so he can cut that rag for starters.

DoF in the Third Division??? FFS The world has gone mad.

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Possibly the most pitiful 'lap of honour' we've ever had. Almost everyone in the crowd departed and only Ward left the centre circle to head anywhere near the BBE.

I'll be glad to see the back of most of this shower. Here's hoping for a bit of honesty next season with some real grafters.

#backtobasics

The players knows the job of staying up isn't done yet and another hard game next week to come.

No point them doing cartwheels isn't it.

anyway enjoy your week Stuart. bye now

Bloody hell, Bristol currently winnign at Brighton.

Not sure what that will mean for their game against Brum. Will they come out and blitzkreig them, full of confidence. Or will they already be on the beach and be there for the taking?

By the way, out of 22 away games, we've currently won 3.

• Backroom
Just now, chaddyrovers said:

The players knows the job of staying up isn't done yet and another hard game next week to come.

You've literally just posed someone else's opinion as yours down to the cartwheels

40lSE3h.png

Edit - I hope someone screenshots this post and tweets it - Inception!

Just now, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

Don't think we can complain about this position considering where we were a week or so ago.

Not quite sure why some people are criticising the team not scoring more today. We had to win. If we had gone for 2 and conceded I guarantee that the vast majority on here would be justifiably furious. Considering Brum's result, our victory, a forest defeat and a 3 goal swing in GD was about as much as we could hope for.

If we beat Brentford then we have a fighting chance.

For those criticising Huddersfield, think how Forest fans should feel about Villa's 'performance' today.

Hardly criticism but I'm not convinced we did have to win today, once QPR went 2-0 up.

As things stand, we need to win against Brentford. We might get lucky if we draw and Forest lose but we can't plan for that. It's another must win.

If we had conceded while going for that second goal. 1-1 would have meant:

Birmingham (-20) 50

Forest (-13) 48

Rovers (-14) 46

Yes, we'd have not been able to catch sack head's lot but we would still stay up if we won and Forest lost. In this scenario, we'd stay up if Forest draw and we win by two goals - but we'd still need those two goals (that we didn't go for today). 

Winning 3-0 today would have put it in our hands but that's greedy. Winning 2-0 would have meant:

Brimingham (-20) 50

Forest (-13) 48

Rovers (-13) 48

Granted, it wasn't kitchen sink time but one more goal would have meant any win better than Forest would have kept us up.

But we aren't that much better off. We need to score at least 3 without reply to go above a winning Forest, and if anything it could create doubt next week. If Forest go one down they might be caught between holding on to a 0-0 and going for a goal (in case we lose).

The only difference is that it kept Birmingham in our sights but they are away to Bristol who look like being safe if they stay 1-0 up at Brighton right now so they will definitely roll over. (How the hell is it that all these teams at the top of the table are so flakey?)

Listening to Lowe after the game (who incidentally was talking about our desire and quality :huh: ) even he was saying we were caught between going for it and hanging on. We can't have that attitude next Sunday.

Was glad to see him go off today. Not sure if that was some kind of sentimental gesture to let Jason have his final farewell but I didn't think we missed him - and even had a couple more chances on the break through Joao. My big worry about staying up is that he will sign a new 3 year deal.

Just now, Mercer said:

I can see Forest beating Ipswich at home but can't see Brum winning at Bristol City.

All we need to do is win a game of football at Brentford who are a mid table Championship team and our goal difference will do the rest (if Brum draw at City).

Bristol will roll over for big club.

Unless Brighton score a couple in the next 40 minutes.

Just now, Stuart said:

Bristol will roll over for big club.

Unless Brighton score a couple in the next 40 minutes.

Which they are likely to do.  Win this game and they are Champions aren't they?

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Full WUM mode today eh, Chadwick? Amazing what a narrow win does for you to show your (misplaced) cocky side.

Last home game with the most patient fans - including young children - lined around the advertising hoardings and they can't even be bothered to walk around?

Cartwheels? Have a word with yourself.

"Bye"

Archived