BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Annual Season Ticket Poll - 2017/18. Are you getting one?

Will You be getting a Season Ticket Next Season?  

246 members have voted

1. 1. Will You be getting a Season Ticket Next Season?

• Yes
    • Maybe, It depends if we stay up
    • Undecided at present
    • No, but I'll probably go to some games as a walk-on
    • No, I've just lost interest
    • No, I'm officially protesting / NAPM
    • No, I realistically can't get to games

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Totally agree, Good Friday should be a game to try and get a good Rovers crowd in, especially if we are doing well, but they'd rather have that 4000(?) following from Bradford paying top dollar.

Something Williams and Allardyce knew very well. That was back when the most important thing for Rovers was winning football matches. A huge home following made a big difference so they lowered the match day price to grab fans - although to be fair, they did target games to win and they put offers on at the end of the season when the points mattered most.

4 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

Plus if you get the 1875 membership you will get a few quid of each home ticket you buy.

I think the initiative is a bit lost on this one, 1875 as I understand is auto enrolled as a STH. So a discount would apply to bring a guest or friend say to a game etc. So an earning of two quid. So why not make a bigger marketing exercise of that fact, highlight it, theme it, push it, PR it and offer it with something at say bring a friend for £10. £18-£22 is hardly going to entice anyone to make an extra effort to bring someone to a game, by cutting the price you'd hope they'd purchase consumables or eatery within the club grounds whilst it undoubtedly would appeal more and push the numbers up

I imagine a fair percentage of our walk on fans buy their ticket on the day - either out of routine or just a last minute decision to come. As we rarely (these days never) sell out he ground, there's not ever been a real need to buy in advance, so we have a roll up on the day ticket buying culture.

Why should those fans now have to pay a premium to do that?

'Well you can have it cheaper but you need to become a member and that'll be another £15'

Nothing against a membership scheme (I've joined), every other club has one and it is pretty much standard in sport, but it just seems to have been poorly rolled out.

17 hours ago, Dunnfc said:

I think the initiative is a bit lost on this one, 1875 as I understand is auto enrolled as a STH. So a discount would apply to bring a guest or friend say to a game etc. So an earning of two quid. So why not make a bigger marketing exercise of that fact, highlight it, theme it, push it, PR it and offer it with something at say bring a friend for £10. £18-£22 is hardly going to entice anyone to make an extra effort to bring someone to a game, by cutting the price you'd hope they'd purchase consumables or eatery within the club grounds whilst it undoubtedly would appeal more and push the numbers up

No that's wrong, 1875 club is a seperate membership scheme, for season ticket holders its £5 and gives you priority on away tickets and various other benefits through the season, for non season ticket holders its £15 and and gets you a few quid of home tickets through the season and a benefit of away tickets before they reach general sale.

It's about time we had a membership scheme.

1 hour ago, MarkBRFC said:

No that's wrong, 1875 club is a seperate membership scheme, for season ticket holders its £5 and gives you priority on away tickets and various other benefits through the season, for non season ticket holders its £15 and and gets you a few quid of home tickets through the season and a benefit of away tickets before they reach general sale.

It's about time we had a membership scheme.

Isn't the best membership scheme "buying a season ticket" ? 

Giving a free rewards card to recognise purchases would have been better in my opinion. Charging for membership puts us on the road to a Hull City type arrangement if we are not careful.

Ended up renewing myself yesterday. I wasn't planning on renewing but with the appearance of some semblance of plan and (with what looks like on the face of it) the apparent backing of the manager forced my hand in the end. The pull is too strong. 

For me the fundamental flaw in the 1875 scheme is that from now on it seems that season ticket holders, who are 1875 members, but who don't go to any away games, will now have priority over non 1875 members who go to every away game. 

Why should those people who over the years have gone to all/most away games have to pay out extra to ensure they will get priority next season (when demand for away tickets is likely to be much higher than recent years?)

I understand 'its only £5' but those who traipse up and down the motorways 20 odd times a season shouldn't be forced into joining a membership scheme to ensure they are first in the queue for tickets next season. Their purchasing history over the last few years should see to that.

Seadon ticket holders always had priority for away games. Fair enough as they put their money in upfront. I realise with smaller grounds there will be fewer away tickets available, but i dont see why anyone needs a membership scheme on top of season tickets. If you want an away ticket get in fast for what are likely to be popilar matches. And if you miss out, well that's life.

Most clubs have these schemes, with one of the benefits being away match priority.

However, Rovers in reality have an away core support of about 700(ish), this obviously rises for closer matches, but even so, allocation has always outstripped demand, meaning we've never needed such schemes.

Makes sense this season, I suppose, with all the new grounds and I've heard a lot of big talk about massive followings, but let's see if we actually start selling out everywhere, a lot of our fans have long got out of/never had the away habit.

3 hours ago, donnermeat said:

Ended up renewing myself yesterday. I wasn't planning on renewing but with the appearance of some semblance of plan and (with what looks like on the face of it) the apparent backing of the manager forced my hand in the end. The pull is too strong. 

Can't help but think that's exactly why the club have done what they have with the season ticket deadline, etc.

It's not that long since we heard from our 'board' that Rovers were using short term, high interest loans. I still can't work out why that would be necessary if Venkys are supporting the club - surely they are just throwing their money away on interest payments for the sake of timing?

So what has changed since that fans meeting? On the face of it, not a lot, despite a flurry of marketing and transfer activity.

If we still have short term interest payments to meet then it makes sense to trying to bring in some cash quickly. In the old days, pre-transfer windows, clubs would have sold a player but that isn't possible nowadays so the only (non-owner) income is from supporters. Cue early (by Venkys historic standards) season ticket sales and shirt production. Plus the bright idea of a membership club. But how can they avoid people waiting until later in the Summer to buy? How about early transfer business together with a price hike deadline in there to focus minds (classic carrot and stick). I bet a lot of credit cards took a hammering and direct debit mandate (that the club can mortgage) will have started sooner than planned. Add to that a clever discount scheme aimed at shifting shirts by promoting value. How? By introducing a membership scheme. The price to join being the discount off the new shirt. Unless you... buy a season ticket.

In the meantime, there have been two accounting firms going through the books 'looking at efficiencies' - aye ok. As people have speculated this is something you'd expect a prospective buyer and seller to do and not simple cost cutting.

Tin foil hat speculation time: it is entirely plausible that the rumoured Chinese approach could have resulted in a realistic valuation of the club that was far far FAR below what the Raos want for it, and possibly even (in their ivory tower minds) believe it is worth.

In truth, the club needs a massive injection of funding to ever compete in the new football landscape. Forget Burnley this, or Blackpool that. Those days are over. Money rules and the Rich Club Club which has increased from 4 to 6 to 10 is now at about 30 clubs, reaching well into the new parachute-payment-inflated, top-half Championship sides. The advantage that Venkys p1ssed away for Rovers is now quadruple what it was. Rank bad owners, with rank bad timing could sum up their tenure.

So, yes, I'm not surprised you succumbed to the circumstances. They played on our hearts and turned up the heat. I wouldn't be at all surprised either if many of the newbies that joined sites like this and Facebook are club moles who will disappear once they've served their purpose.

Granted I'm speculating, and it could be the biggest load of bull going, but it all fits - and bases itself on the simple recurring theme throughout the last two post-parachute years: Rovers are skint and Venkys are not putting their own money in. No matter what they've told Mowbray.

If I'm wrong great, it means Venkys are backing him and the club and we've really turned a corner. If I'm right, it means more of the same over the last 7 years. Let's see how many more incoming happen now and how many outgoings.

Now, about that feeling...

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

For me the fundamental flaw in the 1875 scheme is that from now on it seems that season ticket holders, who are 1875 members, but who don't go to any away games, will now have priority over non 1875 members who go to every away game. 

Why should those people who over the years have gone to all/most away games have to pay out extra to ensure they will get priority next season (when demand for away tickets is likely to be much higher than recent years?)

I understand 'its only £5' but those who traipse up and down the motorways 20 odd times a season shouldn't be forced into joining a membership scheme to ensure they are first in the queue for tickets next season. Their purchasing history over the last few years should see to that.

I mentioned the very same point to the person I dealt with in the shop on Friday. He looked nonplussed when I pointed out the loyal away fans could be penalised if they objected to joining. Basically it's the club holding a gun to your head and forcing anybody who wants to travel to away game of which eight are easily accessible. I can foresee a lot of complaints to the club front any 1875 members who miss out.

Good post Stuart people have a go at the boycotters and people taking action and those who just cba with ewood anymore but things like the supporters meeting etc have probably played a part this summer. TMs face was a cauldron of shock in that meeting at what Cheston was having to confirm largely from action groups, boycotters questions. I'd imagine if TM went India this sort of gave him a flavour of what its really like at ewood as usually he'd just go through suhail and I'd imagine it's probably been fed back, it's a shame but we have to keep taking action like this.

3 hours ago, Stuart said:

Can't help but think that's exactly why the club have done what they have with the season ticket deadline, etc.

It's not that long since we heard from our 'board' that Rovers were using short term, high interest loans. I still can't work out why that would be necessary if Venkys are supporting the club - surely they are just throwing their money away on interest payments for the sake of timing?

So what has changed since that fans meeting? On the face of it, not a lot, despite a flurry of marketing and transfer activity.

If we still have short term interest payments to meet then it makes sense to trying to bring in some cash quickly. In the old days, pre-transfer windows, clubs would have sold a player but that isn't possible nowadays so the only (non-owner) income is from supporters. Cue early (by Venkys historic standards) season ticket sales and shirt production. Plus the bright idea of a membership club. But how can they avoid people waiting until later in the Summer to buy? How about early transfer business together with a price hike deadline in there to focus minds (classic carrot and stick). I bet a lot of credit cards took a hammering and direct debit mandate (that the club can mortgage) will have started sooner than planned. Add to that a clever discount scheme aimed at shifting shirts by promoting value. How? By introducing a membership scheme. The price to join being the discount off the new shirt. Unless you... buy a season ticket.

In the meantime, there have been two accounting firms going through the books 'looking at efficiencies' - aye ok. As people have speculated this is something you'd expect a prospective buyer and seller to do and not simple cost cutting.

Tin foil hat speculation time: it is entirely plausible that the rumoured Chinese approach could have resulted in a realistic valuation of the club that was far far FAR below what the Raos want for it, and possibly even (in their ivory tower minds) believe it is worth.

In truth, the club needs a massive injection of funding to ever compete in the new football landscape. Forget Burnley this, or Blackpool that. Those days are over. Money rules and the Rich Club Club which has increased from 4 to 6 to 10 is now at about 30 clubs, reaching well into the new parachute-payment-inflated, top-half Championship sides. The advantage that Venkys p1ssed away for Rovers is now quadruple what it was. Rank bad owners, with rank bad timing could sum up their tenure.

So, yes, I'm not surprised you succumbed to the circumstances. They played on our hearts and turned up the heat. I wouldn't be at all surprised either if many of the newbies that joined sites like this and Facebook are club moles who will disappear once they've served their purpose.

Granted I'm speculating, and it could be the biggest load of bull going, but it all fits - and bases itself on the simple recurring theme throughout the last two post-parachute years: Rovers are skint and Venkys are not putting their own money in. No matter what they've told Mowbray.

If I'm wrong great, it means Venkys are backing him and the club and we've really turned a corner. If I'm right, it means more of the same over the last 7 years. Let's see how many more incoming happen now and how many outgoings.

Now, about that feeling...

For what it's worth I am certainly not sold on any suggestions they have changed or turned a corner etc, I still hate them, hate what they've done to the club and I have no faith in them to do the right thing and run the club properly.

My post didn't really convey all my reasoning behind renewing, I've had my season ticket for 17 years and as the deadline approached, the thought (and subsequent sorrow) of not going next season crept up on me. That and the fact I find Tony Mowbray's enthusiasm slightly infectious and certainly refreshing considering what's gone on previously. These coupled with, on the face of it at least, some good and sensible signings, what appears to be the framework of a plan for the division this season and it's one of the few occasions I get to spend time with my best mate as we are both married and raising families now.

At the end of last season I was adamant that was it, that I wouldn't be back til Venkys leave or do things properly, which in effect would be until they leave as far as I see it. So absolute full respect to boycotters and NAPM, it was a difficult decision for me, as I'm sure it is for everyone, so for them to go through with it takes some doing as far as I'm concerned. 

I have zero faith in Venkys.

9 minutes ago, donnermeat said:

For what it's worth I am certainly not sold on any suggestions they have changed or turned a corner etc, I still hate them, hate what they've done to the club and I have no faith in them to do the right thing and run the club properly.

My post didn't really convey all my reasoning behind renewing, I've had my season ticket for 17 years and as the deadline approached, the thought (and subsequent sorrow) of not going next season crept up on me. That and the fact I find Tony Mowbray's enthusiasm slightly infectious and certainly refreshing considering what's gone on previously. These coupled with, on the face of it at least, some good and sensible signings, what appears to be the framework of a plan for the division this season and it's one of the few occasions I get to spend time with my best mate as we are both married and raising families now.

At the end of last season I was adamant that was it, that I wouldn't be back til Venkys leave or do things properly, which in effect would be until they leave as far as I see it. So absolute full respect to boycotters and NAPM, it was a difficult decision for me, as I'm sure it is for everyone, so for them to go through with it takes some doing as far as I'm concerned. 

I have zero faith in Venkys.

Hey, you don't have to justify your reasons to me. We all have our reasons.

It was more that your post made me question a 'why' that has been niggling for a few weeks.

36 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Hey, you don't have to justify your reasons to me. We all have our reasons.

It was more that your post made me question a 'why' that has been niggling for a few weeks.

I had to get it off my chest regardless Stuart! 

Archived