BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Hello! Glenn, where's ask Admin? We actually have active admins now, but the bloody section has gone. What are the odds!

Anyway. The flip reverse of 'blocked' is my idea. I want a system where I can black list certain posters from viewing my content. Can that be done? 

Yep, as part of the rebuilding I massively simplified the forums including getting rid of Ask Admin, most of the old stuff is in the archive section, but yeah, if you have any questions, just start a thread in here.

As for "can it be done", sure I could write a custom plugin to do that, however I'm not sure of it's practical value (what do people not logged in see, remember that only 1 in 10 visitors to the site actually log in) and realistically it's going to take a chunk of time I'd rather spend working on more positive things. Development wise the top of the list is getting the old 92 Tracker working again (Biddy and I are currently embroiled in that).

That said, convince me it's a good idea and you never know.  

Is there a filter anywhere? I looked around the settings and couldn't find it. Ignoring users doesn't hide when they're quoted, and eventually it's just easier to abandon a thread due to derailment. I try not to report posts, don't mind blocking what I don't want to see myself and leaving less work for the mods.

Since the new skin I have not needed to ignore/block another poster but now that I need to block one who I consider to be over aggressive and personally insulting in almost all his posts I can't find how to do it. Can somebody enlighten me please? PM is ok if you wish.

27 minutes ago, Al said:

Since the new skin I have not needed to ignore/block another poster but now that I need to block one who I consider to be over aggressive and personally insulting in almost all his posts I can't find how to do it. Can somebody enlighten me please? PM is ok if you wish.

You represent a website where I myself (along with others) am/ are currently being referred to as a "low life loser/s" because I/ we disagree that Huddersfield/ Birmingham should be punished for team selection.

Your attempts to take the moral High Road are laughable. As I have previously stated, you are a hypocrite, and deserve zero respect.

Whilst it's better than the main football section, this still isn't the place for it! 

I understand you're upset about it, you may be justified (I haven't been to look yet) but it's really something you should sort out on their forums or in private.

It's bad enough having to worry about what's in this site, without worrying what's in somebody else's site! 

1 hour ago, Glenn said:

It took me a while (I've genuinely never used it), but it was on the drop down, in the top right hand corner

Thanks Glenn. Found it but it's not working. The perpetrator's posts are still there. I can't use this site whilst his unnecessarily aggressive and insulting posts are there. I thought it was against the guidelines.

Just now, Al said:

Thanks Glenn. Found it but it's not working. The perpetrator's posts are still there. I can't use this site whilst his unnecessarily aggressive and insulting posts are there. I thought it was against the guidelines.

Not where you've come from mate.

2 hours ago, Glenn said:

Whilst it's better than the main football section, this still isn't the place for it! 

I understand you're upset about it, you may be justified (I haven't been to look yet) but it's really something you should sort out on their forums or in private.

It's bad enough having to worry about what's in this site, without worrying what's in somebody else's site! 

I can completely understand that Glenn, but I hope you can understand that calling me (and I quote two current posters of both sites) a "tw@t" or a "@#/?" on a different website might lead to "frostiness" over here if said posters reply to any of my future posts.

I know it's a fuss, and largely ineffectual as the person can just log out, but I'd love to stop a few posters here reading my content and replying to it elsewhere. The only real solution ultimately is to just stop posting! Others may say, sign up for the other and reply there. To be moderated by those who resort to personal insults when they can't accept a different view? Yea, right.

5 hours ago, Al said:

Hum, I sure I replied to this earlier. I mustn't have hit send.

Anyway, the off-topic posts were by both of you were hidden some time ago, which is a real shame as that's the first posts that have been removed since my return. The rest of the thread is a pretty healthy debate and I hope Gordon gets some support from it (though I appreciate not everyone thinks it's the right thing to do).

I've also spent an hour testing the ignore feature with various test accounts and it seems to work fine for me (except as "Glenn" but I assume that's an admin thing) is it actually the posts you're seeing or people quoting them in the reply? Has anyone else had problems with ignore ?

2 hours ago, Biz said:

I can completely understand that Glenn, but I hope you can understand that calling me (and I quote two current posters of both sites) a "tw@t" or a "@#/?" on a different website might lead to "frostiness" over here if said posters reply to any of my future posts.

I know it's a fuss, and largely ineffectual as the person can just log out, but I'd love to stop a few posters here reading my content and replying to it elsewhere. The only real solution ultimately is to just stop posting! Others may say, sign up for the other and reply there. To be moderated by those who resort to personal insults when they can't accept a different view? Yea, right.

I did come up with a few ideas when J*B first mentioned it, but frankly it's always going to be ineffectual (plus, it's the equivalent of standing on a chair to address an pub full of people, then asking the group playing dominoes in the corner not to listen).

I get that people are upset and don't want to respond over there, but for the first time in many years, BRFCS doesn't feel like it's a battleground and I'd rather keep it that way. One of the reasons I've not really checked it out yet is fear of what I might read about myself (so often everything related to BRFCS is attributed to me, even stuff I had no idea had happened as I've not been around for so long).

7 hours ago, Al said:

Don't know if you've found it / enabled it properly but if you're using a desktop you can hover over their username on one of their posts. Without clicking a popup menu should appear and the bottom row has 3 links, the middle being ignore user. This should work and posts by user will be hidden with an option for you to show it. This will not stop users posts from being shown when quoted by other users. best of luck.

10 hours ago, AmericanRover12 said:

Don't know if you've found it / enabled it properly but if you're using a desktop you can hover over their username on one of their posts. Without clicking a popup menu should appear and the bottom row has 3 links, the middle being ignore user. This should work and posts by user will be hidden with an option for you to show it. This will not stop users posts from being shown when quoted by other users. best of luck.

Thanks for your help and I've tried that but the posts still appear. I don't understand that if it works for everybody else. Thanks anyway.

15 hours ago, Glenn said:

I get that people are upset and don't want to respond over there, but for the first time in many years, BRFCS doesn't feel like it's a battleground and I'd rather keep it that way. 

Amen to that! Will endeavour to do the same and ignore any content from elsewhere! 

6 hours ago, Al said:

Thanks for your help and I've tried that but the posts still appear. I don't understand that if it works for everybody else. Thanks anyway.

I've just tried it using Batman and it's worked a treat.

Maybe Glenn has you in "the other site" filter?;)

Ive not knowingly changed the config, however I did apply a security patch this morning. I'll take a look after work.

Edit - oh, Biddy, I did remove that plugin a few days ago (trying to get the new one working, I assumed it was a carry over from v3 and was for mass-clearing mod notifications, not user ones). My bad. Sorry.  Feel free to re-add 

Archived