BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Relegation: The Rivals

Yeah, yeah, we are where we are because of Venkys, yada yada. Nobody believes this more than me.

However, the Huddersfield / Wagner cheating was a massive talking point and this is a messageboard. There's nothing more infuriating than other people trying to stop discussion. If you don't want to discuss it, positive or negative, then leave it to others who do. If nobody wants to discuss it then it will die quicker than the follow-up debates.

With that in mind, the spotlight this weekend goes not on Birmingham, Forest or Rovers - we all know they are crap - but on Bristol City, Ipswich Town and Brentford.

Who will be motivated the most? None of them have anything to play for, besides pride, individual contracts and maybe to avoid any suggestions of them being less than honest. If they care that much.

Here's how they line up:

Bristol City (Home)
Away - Lost 1-0
Form: LWWDWW, 2nd (v LLDLLW, 21st)
League: 17th, 54 points

Fully expect a sound bite from 'onest 'arry this week. Ordinarily, he would have been putting pressure on another team to play weakened side. However, the comments from Mowbray to the media have made it very difficult for them to do that so he will probably be bigging them up about their great escape and form and how Brum will need to be at their best because of how relaxed Bristol will be. Bit of reverse psychology to to get them into "on the beach" mode.

Want: Bristol City 0-0 Birmingham to make it as painful as possible
Predict: 1-0 Birmingham (53 points and safe)

Ipswich (Away)
Home - Lost 2-0
Form: WLWWLL, 10th (v LWLLWL, 17th)
League: 16th, 55 points

Forest have been about as poor as us all season and have similar crackpot owners. Not sure there is much rivalry, with Forest barely East Anglian. They will possibly want to make up for a 2-0 defeat at home in the reverse, if they can be arsed. You never know but I'm not feeling it with this one.

Want: Ipswich 3-0 Forest
Predict: 0-2 (51 points and their destiny not in their hands)

Brentford (Home)
Away - Lost 3-2
Form: WLWDWD, 6th (v LLWDDW, 11th)
League: 10th, 64 points

Narrowly lost to Rovers in the reverse fixture under Coyle so they can't be up to much. That said they are happily safe, nothing to play for and apparently no love lost between them and Warburton. They've had a good season and won't want to finish with defeat. Mowbray will keep things tight unless he hears of goals going in at Forest then it could be kitchen sink time.

Want: Brentford 0-4 Rovers
Predict: Tears

Still too close to call. Let's hope Brentford aren't that interested. Rovers have the best form of the worrying teams. Bristol have the best form of the relaxed teams.

Again it comes back to that Birmingham V Huddersfield result. It handed Birmingham a bit of momentum, whereas a loss or draw last weekend and they would have been on the most chronic of runs. 

We have the hardest game as the team we are playing finished the highest in the league and therefore the best team. 

I reckon Bristol will do us a favour and win.

I think Forest are so bad that they won't be able to win against a disinterested Ipswich team and that will finish in a draw. 

I see us keeping it tight and us been left in a 0-0 situation around the 70th minutes which will result in us throwing the kitchen sink at it. It won't be easy to watch. I am not sure we will be able to get the 1 goal we will need. 

Greetings all

Bristol City Fan intruding

As I said on another thread - I don't expect us to lie down , anything but , and will be dissapointed and angry if we do

Virtually sold out Saturday , fans well up for it and should be a crackling atmosphere

We are desperate to maintain our (last minute) decent run 

Tammy Abraham is still in running for divisions top scorer

Personally I think we will beat Brum and certainly don't see us getting beaten

Hope that gives you some hope - Would like you to stay up

Still think the hardest part of equation for yourselves is getting a result at Brentford - never easy there

Just now, BrizzleBoy said:

Greetings all

Bristol City Fan intruding

As I said on another thread - I don't expect us to lie down , anything but , and will be dissapointed and angry if we do

Virtually sold out Saturday , fans well up for it and should be a crackling atmosphere

We are desperate to maintain our (last minute) decent run 

Tammy Abraham is still in running for divisions top scorer

Personally I think we will beat Brum and certainly don't see us getting beaten

Hope that gives you some hope - Would like you to stay up

Still think the hardest part of equation for yourselves is getting a result at Brentford - never easy there

Wholeheartedly agree and I think most others on here will too. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Wholeheartedly agree and I think most others on here will too. 

Best of luck to you

Its a horrible place being where you are now , as football supporters we've all been there (As a Bristol City fan too many times !)  and I always feel for those fans whose clubs are in a dogfight at this time of the season

But for a turn in fortune and form (Christ knows why) we could easily be in your position and you in ours 

21 minutes ago, BrizzleBoy said:

Best of luck to you

Its a horrible place being where you are now , as football supporters we've all been there (As a Bristol City fan too many times !)  and I always feel for those fans whose clubs are in a dogfight at this time of the season

But for a turn in fortune and form (Christ knows why) we could easily be in your position and you in ours 

We have slowly gotten to here via bad decision after bad decision on top of bad decisions. Will hurt very badly if it ends in relegation to league 1.

Ye have had an incredible run ,at a crucial time. Fair play to ye. 

That Abraham looks a great striker too. How do you see his future turning out? 

• Backroom

If forest were away I think they would struggle but I think they will be comfy winners, I can't get past us playing Ipswich at home last game a few seasons back and it was a stroll in the park.

Birmingham may get a win but I think a draw is likely meaning we need to win and I think we'll come up short.

If we were ahead of them going into this game I would have been confident, as it is we need to win to even hope of sneaking above Brum

41 minutes ago, BrizzleBoy said:

Best of luck to you

I watched your 4-0 drubbing of Huddersfield on TV a short while ago - you looked a top 8 side instead of one facing relegation. 

I also fancy Forest to beat Ipswich at home. Over the course of this season they've relied on half decent home form to balance their appalling away record and keep them out of the bottom 3. When the pressure is on I think they'll deliver and get the 3 points. Ipswich are poor and have been all season. If Forest score first or early on they'll win it at a canter against an Ipswich side that always struggle for goals and have nothing to play for. Forest have pulled some big wins out of the bag at home this season - beating Reading 3-2 last week, beating Brighton 3-0, beating Huddersfield 2-0, plus wins against Villa and Newcastle.

I think our win there was a massive result and potentially a game changer as far as relegation is concerned. Its just a shame we couldn't build on that vs Bristol City and Wolves and get 4-6 points instead of 2.

Birmingham away at Bristol is a different kettle of fish. Birmingham are poor away from home and Bristol have been decent at Ashton Gate this season. I'm struggling to see Birmingham getting a win there, maybe a point.

All in all I think barring a very surprising result from Ipswich that we'll need a win to have a chance of surviving. Wins at Newcastle, Derby and Forest this season suggest we're capable of doing it, but unfortunately it has been far too infrequent.

Genuinely think Forest will see off Ipswich with ease; I predict 2-0 or so. Bristol City would be a tough test for anyone right now; praying they can hold Brum to a point. We don't stand a chance with a draw either way; our mindset solely has to be on 3 points; I just hope TM doesn't set us up too negatively. Going to be a nerve wracking 90 minutes.

4 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

We have slowly gotten to here via bad decision after bad decision on top of bad decisions. Will hurt very badly if it ends in relegation to league 1.

Ye have had an incredible run ,at a crucial time. Fair play to ye. 

That Abraham looks a great striker too. How do you see his future turning out? 

Ta Bigdog

We have been very fortunate to have had Abraham this year

keep an eye out for this kid (Only turned 19 during the season and his first taste of Senior football) he's been immense , a joy

Lad has lots of ability , and an ability to be in right place / right time) but best of all has been this lads attitude - %110 every single game , gets kicked and battered, wipes himself down and his again , encourages teammates , brilliant interaction with supporters - humble , always spends time at end of every game speaking to young fans , always has a smile on his face - been going 50yrs and the best all round loanee we've probably ever had and certainly the most popular

Think he will forge a decent career in Prem and play for National Side , Not sure he will break through at Chelsea but I wish him every bit of good fortune in the world as in this era of egotistical money grabbing footballers this kid is a diamond

3 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

I watched your 4-0 drubbing of Huddersfield on TV a short while ago - you looked a top 8 side instead of one facing relegation. 

It's been a ridiculous season Jim 

Talk about Jekyll & Hyde

First quarter of season play off form in pts per game

Middle two quarters , abysmal Rotherham type relegation form

Final quarter , promotion form

Prior to Huddersfield and then Post Preston I was certain we were doomed , the players had downed tools on Johnson

Why things suddenly changed we just don't know , I'm just grateful

Keep the faith all , will have fingers crossed for ya whilst I get behind us against Brum ;)

but best of all has been this lads attitude - %110 every single game , gets kicked and battered, wipes himself down and his again , encourages teammates , brilliant interaction with supporters - humble , always spends time at end of every game speaking to young fans , always has a smile on his face -

He'll never fit in at Chelsea :)

He played against us in the Youth Cup last season and he had obvious ability but, like you say, it was his attitude that stood out . To put it bluntly he didn't look like he was a massive arse like some of the talented young lads do. We had two big and talented CB's trying to get at him but he just floated through the game.

Keep the faith all , will have fingers crossed for ya whilst I get behind us against Brum ;)

Good man. Give 'Arry some stick:D

10 minutes ago, Earlydoors said:

Bristol City to beat Brum

Forest to beat Ipswich

Rovers Brentford draw

Relegated by 1 point

Can't see Rovers drawing. We'll either win or lose trying.

Anything less than that would make it difficult for Mowbray to come back from.

I could see all three teams at the bottom winning and us going down on goal difference.

19 hours ago, JHRover said:

I also fancy Forest to beat Ipswich at home. Over the course of this season they've relied on half decent home form to balance their appalling away record and keep them out of the bottom 3. When the pressure is on I think they'll deliver and get the 3 points. Ipswich are poor and have been all season. If Forest score first or early on they'll win it at a canter against an Ipswich side that always struggle for goals and have nothing to play for. Forest have pulled some big wins out of the bag at home this season - beating Reading 3-2 last week, beating Brighton 3-0, beating Huddersfield 2-0, plus wins against Villa and Newcastle.

I think our win there was a massive result and potentially a game changer as far as relegation is concerned. Its just a shame we couldn't build on that vs Bristol City and Wolves and get 4-6 points instead of 2.

Birmingham away at Bristol is a different kettle of fish. Birmingham are poor away from home and Bristol have been decent at Ashton Gate this season. I'm struggling to see Birmingham getting a win there, maybe a point.

All in all I think barring a very surprising result from Ipswich that we'll need a win to have a chance of surviving. Wins at Newcastle, Derby and Forest this season suggest we're capable of doing it, but unfortunately it has been far too infrequent.

Birmingham fan here in peace.

Came over to see one of our fellow strugglers views and opinions on Sunday.

A few things. Birmingham are poor away - We currently sit 17th in the Form table for away performances P22 W4 D9 L9. Above Villa, Bristol, Yourselves, Forest & Rotherham among others. 

Our record against Bristol City is very good especially at Ashton Gate. In our last 5 there we have W4 D1 L0. And we haven't lost to Bristol in the Last 12 meetings. 

Without being overconfident, I think we'll be okay now. The win on Saturday wasn't only just the 3 Points you could see the belief the players were getting back along with the confidence. Although we over achieved under Rowett (being in and around the play offs) there's no way these players are Bottom three material. The form and change of philosophy under Zola was the downfall and has got us in this mess. Similar to the same scenario when Rowett came in, Redknapp has come in and gone back to basics in his short time here. A decent performance at Villa Park where we deserved at least a draw and then a good performance on Saturday (Regardless of Hudds XI). We can do the basics well again now, Defend set pieces is a big one and come Sunday I think we'll have enough in the tank for one more big performance to get the job done. Also having Che Adams's red card overturned is a big help.

My opinion, I hope you have enough to beat Brentford and send Forest down. Both suffering from terrible mismanagement at Board level but I prefer Blackburn over Forest.

Good Luck for Sunday and let the worst club drop.

1 hour ago, BradzleyB123 said:

A few things. Birmingham are poor away - We currently sit 17th in the Form table for away performances P22 W4 D9 L9. Above Villa, Bristol, Yourselves, Forest & Rotherham among others. 

Our record against Bristol City is very good especially at Ashton Gate. In our last 5 there we have W4 D1 L0. And we haven't lost to Bristol in the Last 12 meetings. 

Without being overconfident, I think we'll be okay now. The win on Saturday wasn't only just the 3 Points you could see the belief the players were getting back along with the confidence. Although we over achieved under Rowett (being in and around the play offs) there's no way these players are Bottom three material. The form and change of philosophy under Zola was the downfall and has got us in this mess. Similar to the same scenario when Rowett came in, Redknapp has come in and gone back to basics in his short time here. A decent performance at Villa Park where we deserved at least a draw and then a good performance on Saturday (Regardless of Hudds XI). We can do the basics well again now, Defend set pieces is a big one and come Sunday I think we'll have enough in the tank for one more big performance to get the job done. Also having Che Adams's red card overturned is a big help.

My opinion, I hope you have enough to beat Brentford and send Forest down. Both suffering from terrible mismanagement at Board level but I prefer Blackburn over Forest.

Were all Birmingham fans happy that Wagner played his reserves last weekend? Did you know that he would? 

1 hour ago, BradzleyB123 said:

Greetings.

If Bristol C play as well they did v Brighton you have a problem. Unlike Huddersfield, Bristol will not roll over for 'Arry so if you win that one it will this time be deserved. 

What did you think of the 2 penalties that Huddersfield conceeded? Especially the first one which ironically was missed.

3 hours ago, BradzleyB123 said:

Fair play fella!

16 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Greetings.

If Bristol C play as well they did v Brighton you have a problem. Unlike Huddersfield, Bristol will not roll over for 'Arry so if you win that one it will this time be deserved. 

What did you think of the 2 penalties that Huddersfield conceeded? Especially the first one which ironically was missed.

Yes I agree which is fair enough. Only time will tell. 

Regards to the penalties. I think the first one is a penalty. No doubt. The second one, I think was soft. There's contact, Our player makes a bit of a meal of it but enough for a penalty? Not so sure. I do think Mike Jones (Ref) had in the back of his mind the awful red card decision he'd given to Che Adams early on in the game and tried to balance it out in his head. 

RE: Huddersfield and their team. It's a tricky one.

54 minutes ago, BradzleyB123 said:

Yes I agree which is fair enough. Only time will tell. 

Regards to the penalties. I think the first one is a penalty. No doubt. The second one, I think was soft. There's contact, Our player makes a bit of a meal of it but enough for a penalty? Not so sure. I do think Mike Jones (Ref) had in the back of his mind the awful red card decision he'd given to Che Adams early on in the game and tried to balance it out in his head. 

RE: Huddersfield and their team. It's a tricky one.

I also thought at the time that the red card was way OTT but tbh was happy enough at the time;)

I thought both pens were stupid and needless tackles.

Sunday will be a roller coaster as long as Rovers do not concede early which with us is always a possibilty. In which case we kippered.

I do fancy Bristol City to turn you over. They will be up for it but so will you.

I think Redknapp will go on the offensive earlier than Mowbray and his cautious approach worries me as we find goals hard to come by.

I am pretty sure Forest will not lose.

Archived