BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Squad 2017/18

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, LeChuck said:

I did think that as I was writing it. I think Graham, Bennett and Evans will have no problem finding Championship clubs. 

I agree Evans will definitely leave  Graham I'm not sure he says he likes it here one of the reasons he signed. A year older and missed a few games at start and a few games from February to April.

Same with Mulgrew I thought I read he only played 20 odd games this season. 

Will clubs chance him and Graham with their injury records.

A lot will depend on  if Mowbray stays  

As part of the dummy business plan I've been creating the squad wage bill max is 6.2 million for next year. So your looking at something not to dissimilar to the below if we are cutting and trying to stay within certain parameters:

We don't need two goalkeepers which could be considered number 1 on any week so given the potential Raya has and for his market value to increase then dispense with Steele was the choice I made. Additionally to retain Feeney below in the roster would tip us up to around 6.8 million after relegation wage cuts which we cannot afford. Out of contract and players let go include, Adam Henley, Danny Guthrie (Although he could have the 3.5k wage slot vacancy position), Jason Lowe, Ramirez Haworth, Joe Grayson, Hope Akpan, Gordon Greer, whilst new contracts awarded to Travis on existing terms. Obviously by looking at it there is little freedom and appears rigid but both Graham and Mulgrew would be required and Bennet. For the purposes of some calculations I've based on 35% wage cuts but 25% has also been calculated to see what it looked like, I've researched several relegations and these two percentages continually re-occur. It constitutes a 10 million saving against this seasons end.

Publication1.jpg

Great analysis,

- If you look where the big money is going, Is it wise to spend half the budget on 3 injury prone players (Mulgrew/Graham/evans) and someone who goes AWOL (Stokes)? I think that money would be better spent on 5 players who will play in 40 games for the season.

- What is the comparative average wage bill in League 1 for other clubs?

- Surely there's too many youth players in that squad

Just now, Dunnfc said:

As part of the dummy business plan I've been creating the squad wage bill max is 6.2 million for next year. So your looking at something not to dissimilar to the below if we are cutting and trying to stay within certain parameters:

We don't need two goalkeepers which could be considered number 1 on any week so given the potential Raya has and for his market value to increase then dispense with Steele was the choice I made. Additionally to retain Feeney below in the roster would tip us up to around 6.8 million after relegation wage cuts which we cannot afford. Out of contract and players let go include, Adam Henley, Danny Guthrie (Although he could the 3.5k wage slot vacancy position), Jason Lowe, Ramirez Haworth, Joe Grayson, Hope Akpan, Gordon Greer, whilst new contracts awarded to Travis on existing terms. Obviously by looking at it there is little freedom and appears rigid but both Graham and Mulgrew would be required. For the purposes of the purposes of some calculations I've based on 35% wage cuts but 25% has also been calculated to see what it looked like, I've researched several relegations and these two percentages continually re-occur.

Publication1.jpg

It strikes me, given your last couple of days, that you could probably do a better job then Cheston and I am not being facetious there. Not too sure what wages you are currently on, or indeed what MC is on either, but if he gets the bullet, your application should go in.

Great posts and very informative.

• Backroom
13 hours ago, Irishrover213 said:

I agree Evans will definitely leave  Graham I'm not sure he says he likes it here one of the reasons he signed. A year older and missed a few games at start and a few games from February to April.

Same with Mulgrew I thought I read he only played 20 odd games this season. 

Will clubs chance him and Graham with their injury records.

A lot will depend on  if Mowbray stays  

Assuming Graham and Mulgrew don't have relegation wage cut clauses in their contracts, money-wise the smart thing to do would probably be to stay at Rovers. I can't see them getting better offers elsewhere. Similarly Lowe must be gutted his contract is expiring, this may be the most he'll ever get paid for impersonating a footballer.

Just now, OJRovers said:

Great analysis,

- If you look where the big money is going, Is it wise to spend half the budget on 3 injury prone players (Mulgrew/Graham/evans) and someone who goes AWOL (Stokes)? I think that money would be better spent on 5 players who will play in 40 games for the season.

- What is the comparative average wage bill in League 1 for other clubs?

- Surely there's too many youth players in that squad

You still have to pay out to shift them on, I don't particularly want to go down the Cheston road of keeping onerous provisions on the accounts. We can't shift them and pay up as cash flow reserves would be f.....d.

depends most fluctuate but the going is 5million pa however some teams near the top are about 6.

Just now, Dunnfc said:

We don't need two goalkeepers which could be considered number 1 on any week so given the potential Raya has and for his market value to increase then dispense with Steele was the choice I made. Additionally to retain Feeney below in the roster would tip us up to around 6.8 million after relegation wage cuts which we cannot afford. Out of contract and players let go include, Adam Henley, Danny Guthrie (Although he could have the 3.5k wage slot vacancy position), Jason Lowe, Ramirez Haworth, Joe Grayson, Hope Akpan, Gordon Greer, whilst new contracts awarded to Travis on existing terms. Obviously by looking at it there is little freedom and appears rigid but both Graham and Mulgrew would be required and Bennet. For the purposes of some calculations I've based on 35% wage cuts but 25% has also been calculated to see what it looked like, I've researched several relegations and these two percentages continually re-occur. It constitutes a 10 million saving against this seasons end.

Publication1.jpg

That's very interesting work, but isn't Magloire a defender rather than a striker? I also think it would be prudent to try and lose one or two more contracted players (Evans certainly comes to mind), but as we learned during our last relegation it's not that easy to even give away contracts of underperforming and/or injury prone players. 

Just now, lraC said:

It strikes me, given your last couple of days, that you could probably do a better job then Cheston and I am not being facetious there. Not too sure what wages you are currently on, or indeed what MC is on either, but if he gets the bullet, your application should go in.

There are a few on here who are qualified and intelligent enough to take up executive employment at Rovers. If this was my club I would certainly be trying to head hunt them. 

And the massive bonus is they love Rovers.

Just now, Commondore said:

That's very interesting work, but isn't Magloire a defender rather than a striker? I also think it would be prudent to try and lose one or two more contracted players (Evans certainly comes to mind), but as we learned during our last relegation it's not that easy to even give away contracts of underperforming and/or injury prone players. 

Wholeheartedly agree and I'd love to be in the position to do that but unless a club comes in to offer zilch for these but take them on we cant have liabilities sat on the accounts as it's there if held as a provision on the operating losses side of which we need to get down which leaves with the only option of continuing with them in the squad if no offers come our way. Graham will get you goals and is out of contract next summer, same with Evans I believe. Mulgrew would have another year as hes on a 3 year deal.

To pay them up straight of your looking at 70% of there contract value left and we cannot do that and take the hit on the cash flow.

It's excellent stuff Dunnfc and does show that without massive investment we could still have a half decent squad, certainly on a par with Bolton of this season that should be capable of challenging.  I'm hopeful that Hibs going up is good news for us in that they could potentially cover his wages and Lennon is a big fan, meaning we have a chance of offloading him.  Otherwise that's a big chunk of the budget for someone who doesn't turn up.

As mentioned I'd be hopeful we could keep a couple of the bigger names, for a season at least, given we're losing a fair few big earners off the current books.  

Just now, lraC said:

Was just going to say the same thing.

Cheston out!

DunnFC in!

Just now, lraC said:

Cheston is on £140,000 basic with a £6,000 pension and benefits worth £3,804 per annum.

I've said in the past and offered to Rovers that I'd come in and help the club in an advisory capacity or mid-level for minimum wage part time (day or two a week), whilst I'm sure a third of Cheston's package to do it full time would be enough and that's me taking a slight hit to my normal income!!!

As Abrito says lots could do it with Rovers in our hearts and that is what the club needs but sadly it won't happen in a million years!

Just now, Dunnfc said:

Cheston is on £140,000 basic with a £6,000 pension and benefits worth £3,804 per annum.

I've said in the past and offered to Rovers that I'd come in and help the club in an advisory capacity for minimum wage part time (day or two a week), whilst I'm sure a third of Cheston's package to do it full time would be enough and that's me taking a slight hit to my normal income!!!

As Abrito says lots could do it with Rovers in our hearts and that is what the club needs but sadly it won't happen in a million years!

No doubt people from the club read this board and hopefully potential future new owners. It makes me proud of the club again to have fans around like some on this board and makes me realise that despite the current bad times, all is not lost.

30 minutes ago, Manchester Blue said:

It's excellent stuff Dunnfc and does show that without massive investment we could still have a half decent squad, certainly on a par with Bolton of this season that should be capable of challenging.  I'm hopeful that Hibs going up is good news for us in that they could potentially cover his wages and Lennon is a big fan, meaning we have a chance of offloading him.  Otherwise that's a big chunk of the budget for someone who doesn't turn up.

As mentioned I'd be hopeful we could keep a couple of the bigger names, for a season at least, given we're losing a fair few big earners off the current books.  

If Stokes doesn't make himself available for selection for whatever reasons can't we get rid because he's in breach of his contract ?

Just a very very rushed and rounded summary, to see the affects of the falls in revenue and tv and what we would have to implement something akin to the below which encapsulates the correlation of complying with the 60% turnover of wages (roughly) for FFP compliance to avoid an embargo. Still showing just shy of 7million funding to be required for next year on this assumption but that's all in my proposal which is pretty hefty and not for putting in a forum post (Would fill the thread!!!). Staff of two million is those working at club so allows for 70 people on avg 30k per annum before contributions. 

Managerial coaches first team and academy players and director remuneration is inc in operating expenses along with bonus payments for goals appearances etc. Usually in football club accounts you just get three lines although Sheff Utd one of the case studies I've used actually has four as it includes the academy revenue as per below the usual three:

1. Commercial
  2. Media
  3. Matchday

They usually appear as the income streams so hopefully proposing a split like that still based on just those three/four displays some idea which would garner the turnover to creep up slightly on existing and explain in more detail as to how the main three are made up. Please note Players is usually classified underneath as trading however as I'm being very rough and not producing accounts see the rough summary below lol:

Publication11.jpg

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If Stokes doesn't make himself available for selection for whatever reasons can't we get rid because he's in breach of his contract ?

Potentially yes, but it's tricky i'm sure.  There are countless examples of players who have effectively made themselves unselectable, but aren't technically in breach of contract.  All the more reason why it's so important to do the necessary due diligence on players to make sure they are the right fit before saddling the club with a lengthy expensive contract that makes it very difficult to offload.

Really interesting stuff Dunnfc, thank you for taking the time to put it all in text for us. Really will be a tough season to get any sort of squad together.

We have spent so many years even pre Venkys I dare say, paying huge wages that just hasn't been sustainable. It may be the reason that so many outgoing transfers over the years have been for "undisclosed" amounts, there could have been such vast differences in wages we have had to reach settlements with both exiting players and new clubs to move them on.

To say we have been cutting costs  for years, we still have been paying enormous wages to pretty poor players for a team before Sunday that has been languishing in the Championship.

1 minute ago, cesus said:

Really interesting stuff Dunnfc, thank you for taking the time to put it all in text for us. Really will be a tough season to get any sort of squad together.

We have spent so many years even pre Venkys I dare say, paying huge wages that just hasn't been sustainable. It may be the reason that so many outgoing transfers over the years have been for "undisclosed" amounts, there could have been such vast differences in wages we have had to reach settlements with both exiting players and new clubs to move them on.

To say we have been cutting costs  for years, we still have been paying enormous wages to pretty poor players for a team before Sunday that has been languishing in the Championship.

Like I say very very rough summary but the operating expense should be around 8/9 million now as Best and co would be paid up (last summer) and we recorded 10.7 as a operating expense in 2016. A operating loss of 14 million due was made simply as wages crept over turnover circa 2.2 million. I think our income for the season just finished will have been around 15/16 million tops as it was only 22 the year before with the last parachute payment included, however since then we've achieved a 10.8 million gross in sales however they'll be amortised over time and drip fed in but on paper a revenue of 26.8 million potentially exists for the season just finished and I'd imagine our expenditure was possibly around 31 million given we were at 36 million season finished last summer but shed wages and a bit of spend for Marshall late January before VLL accounts were signed off in March. Really is relegation at the wrong time and has just set back progress by at least two years not that progress was really being made quick enough.

I think this season coming up in league one we still need to find 18 million and you can see above how much I've stretched to in achieving that turnover of over 11 million quid. Which still leaves 7million of working capital required to run the club until the season end and you can bet yourself that I've probably missed something that I don't know anything about....

Operating expenses mainly cover areas of the below:

1. Academy running and staff (coaches not office)
  2. Ground running and staff (coaches and not office)
  3. HMRC
  4. Director Remuneration which stood at about 400k last year so can't imagine too much fluctuation with Senior not lasting long.
  5. All club staff - Rovers currently have 248, Millwall have 146 for comparison sake.
  6. Policing
  7. Out going expenses day-day
  8. Suppliers
  9. Hire Purchase agreements
  10. Maintainece
  11. Sure you get the picture etc!

http://www.financialfairplay.co.uk/scmp.php

FFP rules for League 1&2 clubs.

-Youth players on pro contracts are excluded from 60% turnover/wage calculation as long as they are 20yo or under at the start of the season.

- Owners can 'donate' as much money as they like to clubs in Lg1&2 and it can be included in the FFP 60% calc. So, in theory, Venky's could donate £10m and we wouldn't be in breach of any rules and could pay higher wages.

I know, I know!

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

http://www.financialfairplay.co.uk/scmp.php

FFP rules for League 1&2 clubs.

-Youth players on pro contracts are excluded from 60% turnover/wage calculation as long as they are 20yo or under at the start of the season.

- Owners can 'donate' as much money as they like to clubs in Lg1&2 and it can be included in the FFP 60% calc. So, in theory, Venky's could donate £10m and we wouldn't be in breach of any rules and could pay higher wages.

I know, I know!

Ooops, Mike Cheston has been hoping nobody would spot that little factor!

Read the season ticket sales pitch:

'In this era of Financial Fair Play, ticket revenue is extremely important to the club, in order to help fund a competitive team'

This is no joke. This actually appears on the season ticket renewal page on the website.

The brass neck of these people.

We had a competitive team, thanks to Gary Bowyer's good work, they set about dismantling it every transfer window, trousering tens of millions and reinvesting nothing from it back into the squad.

Now they're trying to guilt trip normal supporters into feeling responsible for the standard of playing squad we put out?

As ever, if Venkys wanted to spend they could. Yet still they use FFP as an excuse.

Archived