BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] News - Mowbray Will Decide His Future After Talks

In the immediate aftermath of relegation to League 1, Rovers manager Tony Mowbray cast doubt on whether he would remain at the club.  At his after match press conference Mowbray said ““I will have some talks in the next week or two with the people who matter at this football club,”

“Whether the journey for me continues or not. Let’s see. If it does, I can only see it being really strong if we can keep the right players.

“We will see how the summer goes.”

Rovers dropped into League 1 after a dramatic last day of the season.  Despite winning 3-1 at Brentford, wins for Forest and Birmingham saw Rovers relegated on goal difference.  Reports have suggested that key decisions about staff both on the playing and none playing side will be made over the next couple of weeks as the club faces up to playing in the third tier of English football for the first time in 37 years.

This post has been promoted to an article

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like to say thank you to TM. If he stays or goes, in his short time here, he at least has given the fans some pride back. I would hate to think what sort of a manager we will have if the owners do not, at minimum, give TM the things that he wants (whatever they may be) that will allow him to stay.

I firmly believe he will be another decent, honest man driven away by the ignorant and arrogant Indians.

When he goes to India he take a recording of the phone call to Onion Bhaji where he promised money to spend and gave a 'mans promise'.

He'll want to hit the ground running first day of next season. He'll want weeks with new players he's chosen so he can have them playing the way he wants first game.

What possible chance is there of rapid, decisive, desirable decision-making by Venkys?

Mowbray will be gone I'd think. new manager appointed after transfer window closes. Dunn probably.

Just now, rigger said:

I would like to say thank you to TM. If he stays or goes, in his short time here, he at least has given the fans some pride back. I would hate to think what sort of a manager we will have if the owners do not, at minimum, give TM the things that he wants (whatever they may be) that will allow him to stay.

Yeah me too. What ever the end result the on field direction of the club has been done with honesty and integrity since Tony Mowbray was appointed. That's no mean achievement at Ewood these days. If you read this Tony, I hope you stay but if you don't thanks for giving it your best shot and you go with my best wishes and respect.

pretty sure cheston said there will be cuts no matter what division were in next season? Id safely say they will try to keep him but not give him any money unless he sells players. In which case he will prob walk.

Also I dont get the 'I will have talks over the next few weeks'. The owners should be flying in or flying him over this week. Relegation was always likely in the run in to the end of season, and plans should already be in place for relegation. Why should we and he wait for a 'few weeks' for them to start thinking about what to do. The crooks running this club need to start getting themselves ahead opf the game, then we might actually makes steps moving forwards, rather than rapidly dropping backwards.

Reading between the lines i'd say he's made his mind up to leave.He's probably looked at the squad the need for wholesale restructuring in view of relegation and the number of loanees on the books, the lack of money available to rebuild,  plus the realisation over the past months of the difficulties of dealing with the owners, and decided it's not worth it.

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Is there anything in the comment "with the people who matter" or is it just me trying to look too deep into anything. Who matters most out of the threadbare list of directors at the club?

I assume he means talking to Venky's directly, rather than their UK based puppets. I read it as a bit of a dig at the likes of Cheston and Senior.

• Backroom

Be gutted if he walked but the way he walked from Coventry and this statement sounds like he will.

He seems like a proud man with strong morales and if he thinks he can't do the job justice he'll go.

The job will be Dunn's

1 minute ago, jim mk2 said:

Reading between the lines i'd say he's made his mind up to leave.He's probably looked at the squad the need for wholesale restructuring in view of relegation and the number of loanees on the books, the lack of money available to rebuild,  plus the realisation over the past months of the difficulties of dealing with the owners, and decided it's not worth it.

"It's Coventry all over again"

Just now, jim mk2 said:

You're probably right Jim. He'll get another job in the fullness of time.

Wouldn't mind if he stays or goes to be honest, he's been just ok so far for me. I still firmly believe that our squad was good enough to easily stay up. I said when Mowbray was appointed that if he didn't keep us up I'd be disappointed in him, and I am. He's made some stupid decisions that if he didn't make we would have stayed up. Next I would look at going for Keith Hill, Cowely brothers from Lincoln, or even Uwe Rosler, bringing in a manager who's last job went well would be a nice change.

8 minutes ago, DE. said:

TM's quotes suggest to me that he is off unless Venky's can provide significant backing. We all know how that will turn out. 

Seems that way from what he's said. 13 from the first team squad are leaving this summer according to him so we literally wont have a team for the 2nd close season running.  Pretty shameful for a club of our stature.

Senior needs to move quick. He promised a better team regardless of the division.  The good freebies wont hang around. Hopefully the ground work has been done on his B list and the players are lined up, because we are going to need at least 10.

• Backroom
Just now, blueboy3333 said:

Senior needs to move quick. He promised a better team regardless of the division.  The good freebies wont hang around. Hopefully the ground work has been done on his B list and the players are lined up, because we are going to need at least 10 and probably more.

Come on, you know how this goes. Even IF Senior has targets lined up and ready to sign right this second, it'll take Venky's a couple of months to sign off on any of them - by which time the better ones will have signed elsewhere, leaving us with the bottom of the barrel recruits that nobody else wanted. 

Just now, DE. said:

Come on, you know how this goes. Even IF Senior has targets lined up and ready to sign right this second, it'll take Venky's a couple of months to sign off on any of them - by which time the better ones will have signed elsewhere, leaving us with the bottom of the barrel recruits that nobody else wanted. 

I was just stating what should happen, i don't imagine for 1 second that it will.

He's rehabilitated his reputation somewhat here. 'His record is top 10' etc.

So he may as well go now and be in with a chance of a half decent job. Starts next season poorly and he's probably done at the top level.

Archived