BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] News - Mowbray Will Decide His Future After Talks

Just now, RV Blue said:

How do you know what they've been told? It doesn't say anywhere on the list that they won't be offered new terms, it just says they haven't been offered new terms.

Who knows how it works in Venkyland but at any normal club the manager would have told the owners prior to that list been announced who he wanted to keep and a contract would have been offered before they find another club.

Classic Venkys though, dithering when we need immediate action.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, RV Blue said:

How do you know what they've been told? It doesn't say anywhere on the list that they won't be offered new terms, it just says they haven't been offered new terms.

:lol: ok then.

Somebody should probably let the lads know because they are all busy saying their goodbyes on the Internet.

Come back guys. We might still keep you on.

Just now, Dunnfc said:

On the website it says they've not been retained, Henley and Lowe on instapage and the LET issuing goodbyes.

image.thumb.png.8dd50bf2ec779f17bc43d111d7715e8a.png

No it says they haven't been offered a new contract. Sorry what has not sure what your point is with Henley? Just because he's been told he won't be offered a new contract doesn't mean, say, Guthrie has.

3 minutes ago, Stuart said:

You just can't help but disagree with me.

He has no idea what Venkys are going to say and might have wanted to make an offer to Akpan, for example.

You should always give yourself options. Although I think you know this which is why you carefully word your posts to give yourself plenty of wiggle room later.

It was merely an observation chadster, and if Venkys had any kind of clue, or even cared just a little they would have been speaking with Mowbray before any decisions on players had been made.

Its not about disagree with you cos you make a fair point,

But its depends on what type of style Mowbray will play next season. I'm sure he would want play attacking style of play in 4-2-3-1 formation like he did at WBA.

Lowe's wages are too high even for the championship.

Plus it depends on the type of midfielders he wants and the roles they will play. same with strikers.

Just now, Stuart said:

:lol: ok then.

Somebody should probably let the lads know because they are all busy saying their goodbyes on the Internet.

Come back guys. We might still keep you on.

All? Lowe and Henley? Has Guthrie said anything? Has Akpan? Has Greer? You're not clever enough to be so arrogant Stuart, it's just embarrassing.

Just now, davulsukur said:

Who knows how it works in Venkyland but at any normal club the manager would have told the owners prior to that list been announced who he wanted to keep and a contract would have been offered before they find another club.

Classic Venkys though, dithering when we need immediate action.

Oh yeah of course but it happens regularly when a player who was on the released list ends up staying. Pretty sure Mulgrew had a full preseason with Celtic whilst out of contract before he signed for Rovers.

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

It's not unknown for player to be released at the end of their contract and then for them to re-sign with the club later in the summer when circumstances change. Especially in the lower divisions.

Stuart can't seem to grasp that for some reason.

Just now, RV Blue said:

All? Lowe and Henley? Has Guthrie said anything? Has Akpan? Has Greer? You're not clever enough to be so arrogant Stuart, it's just embarrassing.

I'm not worried, you've enough arrogance and genius for both of us.

In all seriousness though, please don't ever set up a business where you have to employ anyone if you think it's ok to treat people like @#/?.

"Gather round everyone. Your fixed term contracts have all expired and your names aren't on the list for new ones - but don't make any plans just in case we might need you".

:rolleyes:

Just now, Stuart said:

In all seriousness though, please don't ever set up a business where you have to employ anyone if you think it's ok to treat people like @#/?.

"Gather round everyone. Your fixed term contracts have all expired and your names aren't on the list for new ones - but don't make any plans just in case we might need you".

It happens. 

A player might not get offered a lucrative contract or a better contract and say Blackburn had offered a contract, knowing that they are still interested he'll reduce the terms he wants and sign on smaller wages, knowing he can't get that big pay he still wants.

Just now, Stuart said:

that happen regularly with contractors in a lot of industries.

Just now, rigger said:

that happen regularly with contractors in a lot of industries.

Doesn't be make it right. Would you hang around just in case they changed their minds? I wouldn't.

I'd certainly expect players to be making plans for their next club having been told they haven't been offered a deal.

All getting very silly this now. Venkys and Mowbray should have met before they decided on the current squad's future. Don't see why that seems such a revolutionary idea.

Just now, Stuart said:

How is "Hi Danny, I want to keep you next season but first I have to go to India to see what kind of budget I'll be working with and if it's large enough I will be offering you a new contract" treating him like @#/?? :lol: There's nothing stopping him saying "No Tony, I don't want to sign a new contract.", or looking at his other options in the meantime, there's a month until his contract expires, he can legally do just that.

It doesn't change the fact that these players have been released and will be no longer employed by BRFC when their contracts expire, at the end of June is it?  They can then sign for anyone they like and if we make them an offer we can sign them on again.  Would be surprised to see any of them back tbh but it's not out of the question.

Tbf I am guessing those on the "not retained" list are there as they are unwilling to negotiate on new/lesser terms.  I think it's clear the intention is to release Lowe, Henley, Guthrie et al, or else I imagine it would have been explicitly mentioned otherwise.  Below is the Rovers article on the retained list.

"Jason Lowe, Adam Henley, Hope Akpan, Danny Guthrie, Gordon Greer, Wes Brown, Joshua Askew and Ramirez Howarth have not been offered further terms and, upon the expiration of their contracts on June 30th, are free to consider their options.

The club has made offers of re-engagement to Connor Mahoney and Lewis Travis, whilst professional contract offers have been made to youngsters Charley Doyle, Joe Grayson, Tyler Magloire and Stefan Mols."

http://www.rovers.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/blackburn-rovers-3719100.aspx#YA1i3c1sQGFVCyaC.99

Of course the club is a shambles and we haven't a dickybird what's happening, but expecting those who have been told they aren't being offered new terms is a touch naive.  Yeah it might happen at some clubs where players are released and then re-sign, but it's hardly a common occurrence.  Think it's clear Lowe and Henley are gone.  Akpan and Guthrie are on around £10k a week (probably why we have a large wage bill - cheers Gaz on those ones), now are they going to re-sign for a slice of that amount?  Doubt it, we haven't the money for dross like Akpan even.  Let's not get our hopes up.

Just now, RV Blue said:

How is "Hi Danny, I want to keep you next season but first I have to go to India to see what kind of budget I'll be working with and if it's large enough I will be offering you a new contract" treating him like @#/?? :lol: There's nothing stopping him saying "No Tony, I don't want to sign a new contract.", or looking at his other options in the meantime, there's a month until his contract expires, he can legally do just that.

That's not what's happened though. Those who are retained have been told they can sort themselves out.

Just now, Stuart said:

That's not what's happened though. Those who are retained have been told they can sort themselves out.

That's it Stuart, move the goalposts! If that is the case then obviously it is strage seeing as though Mowbray doesn't know his budget yet, but there has been absolutely nothing to suggest that Guthrie, Akpan or Greer have been told they won't be offered new terms, unless you have magically turned into an ITK which I seriously doubt.

I'm expecting Mowbray to walk in the next couple of days as I'm sure he'll be coming out of a meeting with the Lunes thinking wtf am I doing?!

Also, assuming TM stays, he might want to keep Guthrie and Akpan but will money allow?  Personally, I wouldn't offer more than a 12 month contract either way.  Guthrie has talent but he's a crock and Akpants is as he is.  Filling the club with players such as these is a big part of the reason we've been relegated again.

6 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

That's it Stuart, move the goalposts! If that is the case then obviously it is strage seeing as though Mowbray doesn't know his budget yet, but there has been absolutely nothing to suggest that Guthrie, Akpan or Greer have been told they won't be offered new terms, unless you have magically turned into an ITK which I seriously doubt.

WTF are you on about? You're like a dog with a bone.

Very simply, Venkys should have allowed Mowbray to keep his options open. Instead they wait until after the retained list is out to meet with him.

Just now, Stuart said:

WTF are you on about? You're like a dog with a bone.

Very simply, Venkys should have allowed Mowbray to keep his options open. Instead they wait until after the retained list is out to meet with him.

So you don't know what Guthrie, Akpan or Greer have been told? His options are still open, the retained list doesn't necessarily mean anything as it just says who has and who hasn't been offered a contract at x date. There's nothing stopping Mowbray offering them a contract now, and like I said before, he may well have told Guthrie that he needs to know what budget he's got before he can offer him a contract.

23 minutes ago, mustard said:

I'm expecting Mowbray to walk in the next couple of days as I'm sure he'll be coming out of a meeting with the Lunes thinking wtf am I doing?!

Also, assuming TM stays, he might want to keep Guthrie and Akpan but will money allow?  Personally, I wouldn't offer more than a 12 month contract either way.  Guthrie has talent but he's a crock and Akpants is as he is.  Filling the club with players such as these is a big part of the reason we've been relegated again.

Not sure he'll walk yet he'll probably come back from Pune having been fed a crock of crap and told he can have what he wants within reason. Then after coming back and being ignored for a while he'll walk when it dawns on him that not only is he not getting what he requested but quite the opposite as they let their agent mates get rid of whoever they can without intending to replace them.

Just now, RV Blue said:

So you don't know what Guthrie, Akpan or Greer have been told? His options are still open, the retained list doesn't necessarily mean anything as it just says who has and who hasn't been offered a contract at x date. There's nothing stopping Mowbray offering them a contract now, and like I said before, he may well have told Guthrie that he needs to know what budget he's got before he can offer him a contract.

Oh, "he may well have"? Ah, right. So you don't know either.

This really is getting ridiculous now.

You are clearly hell bent on defending Venkys on this one so I'll leave you to it. And if you don't understand that one, have a little think.

Just now, Stuart said:

Oh, "he may well have"? Ah, right. So you don't know either.

This really is getting ridiculous now.

You are clearly hell bent on defending Venkys on this one so I'll leave you to it. And if you don't understand that one, have a little think.

I never said I knew, you did. You said that it is strange that Mowbray is going to India after the retained list has been published, I pointed out that the retained list doesn't necessarily mean anything... Lose then argument then say I'm defending Venky's classic Stuart.

I have read before on this MB that Senior was quoted as saying (might have been at a meeting of London Rovers or by one of the posters who spoke to Senior at a game) that all out of contract players were leaving. This certainly intimated that the list had been a topic discussed with Mowbray.

This was well before the Brentford game.

If released players can't find employment at the wages they want somebody will offer less.

If they are very desperate and very cheap that someone could be Rovers.

Not likely as we now have the whole car boot sale to rummage through.

Archived