BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] News - Mowbray Will Decide His Future After Talks

9 hours ago, RV Blue said:

I never said I knew, you did. You said that it is strange that Mowbray is going to India after the retained list has been published, I pointed out that the retained list doesn't necessarily mean anything... Lose then argument then say I'm defending Venky's classic Stuart.

A really stupid argument this one. Ridiculous to say that the list doesn't necessarily mean anything. The retained list consists of those players we are keeping or hoping to keep, we are entitled to believe that the rest are not wanted and will be seeking alternative employment. Unless you have evidence to the contrary that's where it sits for me. So produce it or let it go. Unless you just want to wind Stuart up of course. 

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if you've not been offered terms you're going, why would Rovers alert clubs to a players availability should they intend to keep him?

Basically removes any bargaining power Rovers had/have. All any interested club has to do is offer the player an ever so slightly increased offer, encourage them to take Rovers for the 2 months severance they entitled to and chuck in a signing bonus. The player is quids in. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

So, are we happy or sad that these players were released? 

:blink:

I'm not unhappy those players have been released, I'm unhappy with the reasons why we have to release them. I'm also worried about what will replace them.

Just now, JonnyP said:

I'm not unhappy those players have been released, I'm unhappy with the reasons why we have to release them. I'm also worried about what will replace them.

I wonder how many of them would have stayed if we stayed up...

Honestly, I wouldn't have kept any of them 

Just now, JonnyP said:

Yes, spot on. 

They might range from appalling to indifferent but if replaced with worse then anyone is a loss. 

In a normal club I'd be really pleased the manager can bring in his own style and type of players, and in normal circumstances even with the uncertainty of transfers working/not working I'd be optimistic we would generally replace with better. Problem is we're not normal and every time we have seen a constant downgrade in player quality, 

Tbh I expect TM will walk sooner or later (probably later as he seems a good bloke) meaning that we're short on players with an inadequate manager searching for replacements under horrible time pressures. We all saw how that worked out this season. 

25 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I honestly believe that if Mowbray is given what he wants, we will come back stronger from this relegation. 

It will come down to what does Mowbray want and what are his tolerances. I think he's a grafter and will give it his all under any circumstances, he doesn't come across as a fuss pot like lambert who seems to throw his dolly out the pram if he doesn't get exactly what he wants.

he obviously knows there won't be much finance n youth will be part of the squad next season. If Venkies tell him we just want you to do the best you can do with what you've got, while Cheston tries to get the club in a situation where it runs its self. It will take any target off his back as no1 in the footballing world will expect too much and it shouldn't affect his reputation if we do have a poor season because of the circumstances. I don't believe Venkies have any footballing ambition they just want the figures to balance at the end of the day which takes pressure of Mowbray as he wont be expected to perform any miracles. This is fairly clear that they are willing to fork out 800K on accountants to help them make "effective cuts" and only 250k on players in 4 windows.

I think if he was going to walk he would have done it by now but then again it all depends on how the meeting goes n whether the Venkies clear lack of any notion of what they are doing scares him off. Otherwise I expect him to stay.

Just now, rhodie said:

So T.M has had his meeting with the owners and says every thing is hunky dory:  http://www.rovers.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/tony-mowbray-blackburn-rovers-3723649.aspx

That was quick. Is he not meant to be over there for a few days?

Word for word it sounds perfect. Now, I will be interested to hear more from Mowbray and dig into the detail a lot further. 

We don't need propaganda. 

Same @#/? the Pune 9, Bowyer, Lambert and everyone else gets told. Yes, yes, yes, everything is fine. We'll give you plenty of money, the club is our baby, one step backwards to make two steps forwards, etc, etc......Then zilch. Nada. Sell some @#/? before you can loan anyone or pay someone's signing on fee. And don't ask us for any more or else..

Expect those assurances to be broken and Mowbray to walk before the start of the Season.

4 hours ago, 47er said:

A really stupid argument this one. Ridiculous to say that the list doesn't necessarily mean anything. The retained list consists of those players we are keeping or hoping to keep, we are entitled to believe that the rest are not wanted and will be seeking alternative employment. Unless you have evidence to the contrary that's where it sits for me. So produce it or let it go. Unless you just want to wind Stuart up of course. 

The retained list had to be released, and at the point that it was released Guthrie, Akpan etc. hadn't been offered a contract, that doesn't mean that they won't be offered a contract, it happens. Get out of Stuart's  a rse

2 hours ago, Lancaster Rover said:

if you've not been offered terms you're going, why would Rovers alert clubs to a players availability should they intend to keep him?

Basically removes any bargaining power Rovers had/have. All any interested club has to do is offer the player an ever so slightly increased offer, encourage them to take Rovers for the 2 months severance they entitled to and chuck in a signing bonus. The player is quids in. 

If the list had to be released it had to be released.

My Dad works in football admin, so i can tell you confidently you've got the wrong end of the stick here. If you're not on the retained list you aren't getting an offer.

The fact it has to be released is irrellevant, the date is the same every year, the club has the same time to prepare offers for out of contract players. They have time to prepare offers for the championship and offers for league 1. If you're on that list you aren't getting either. There are very few instances where a player is on the list and ends up signing after being released and if they do it is on vastly reduced terms because nobody else wants them, see Chris Taylor a few years ago.

22 minutes ago, Lancaster Rover said:

My Dad works in football admin, so i can tell you confidently you've got the wrong end of the stick here. If you're not on the retained list you aren't getting an offer.

The fact it has to be released is irrellevant, the date is the same every year, the club has the same time to prepare offers for out of contract players. They have time to prepare offers for the championship and offers for league 1. If you're on that list you aren't getting either. There are very few instances where a player is on the list and ends up signing after being released and if they do it is on vastly reduced terms because nobody else wants them, see Chris Taylor a few years ago.

I don't care where your Dad works, there is nothing stopping Mowbray offering Guthrie a new contract, it happens regularly. The fact that Mowbray didn't know his budget before the retained list was released may mean that he now realises he can afford to offer Guthrie a contract.

Just now, RV Blue said:

I don't care where your Dad works, there is nothing stopping Mowbray offering Guthrie a new contract, it happens regularly. The fact that Mowbray didn't know his budget before the retained list was released may mean that he now realises he can afford to offer Guthrie a contract.

I didn't think you could sign for the same club straight away if they have released you 

3 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

Think he's just trying to put it into perspective for you

8 hours ago, Stuart said:

No need to quote the idiot. Shown his/her true colours this week.

So you embarrass yourself spouting rubbish like the retained list is the be all and end all of who is staying and who isn't, and act like it has tied Mowbray's hands behind his back in regards of who he can and can't offer a new contract to, but I've shown my true colours? You are an utter moron Stuart.

Archived